Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Taylormade R15 available today

JBones

Try the 12 degree if the urge hits to try one again. That was the difference for me. If you haven't lofted up until it feels OK, you haven't lofted up enough so far as I can tell from my brief encounters with that club. Prior to that, I was totally on board with you that it felt horrible.

10.5 is very lofted up for me(current gamers are 7.5 and 8.5). I got the best numbers with lower lofted sldrs but that is bc of a swing flaw of mine. I will try a 12 next time I go in but I bet my spin numbers will be in the mid 4000s with that head. The combination of my harsh transition, swing speed and almost neutral angle of attack lead to way too much spin. Something I'm currently trying to work on.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

As much as I didn't like the R15 or Aeroburner drivers, gotta say I liked the hybrids.  Hit them yesterday at 2nd Swing and gloryoksy they fly.  Very easy to hit.  

I did have my Adams XTD hybrid with me, and looking down at it with the R15 side by side you can surely see the Adams influence...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I didn't care for the drivers either. But then again I haven't really liked any TMag driver. The hybrids on the other hand are amazing. Very easy to hit and I was hitting the 19* R15 just about as far as my 3 wood. I would definitely have to try some different lofts to fit the 4i-3w gap. Good thing for me though, they're out of my budget at $229  :wacko:

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

• SPY VIP

Finally hit the R15 today. Way better than I expected. Was very meh on the aeroburner. So high. R15 was a surprise. 

Didn't goof with any settings and I really got the feeling that if I did it would only get better.

Was going to wait to pick up a cheap SLDR, but now I'm not so sure.

Gotta spend a little more time with it when the weather is above 50°

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I didn't care for the drivers either. But then again I haven't really liked any TMag driver. The hybrids on the other hand are amazing. Very easy to hit and I was hitting the 19* R15 just about as far as my 3 wood. I would definitely have to try some different lofts to fit the 4i-3w gap. Good thing for me though, they're out of my budget at $229 :wacko:

Just wait for the used ones mid season lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Finally hit the R15 today. Way better than I expected. Was very meh on the aeroburner. So high. R15 was a surprise.

Didn't goof with any settings and I really got the feeling that if I did it would only get better.

Was going to wait to pick up a cheap SLDR, but now I'm not so sure.

Gotta spend a little more time with it when the weather is above 50°

FWIW, I found the SLDR to be longer, but the R15 significantly more accurate with the weights on each end. I'm going to pick up another SLDR weight as KCLeo suggested in another thread and see if it ups the accuracy, while keeping the distance edge.

I would like to know if the ones you guys demo'd were set up for max distance. That is how all the demos I have seen have been set up, after all, distance sells.

Archived