TESTERS WANTED! ×

Matt Every DQ'd at Sony Open

JBones

Matt Every was DQ'd from the Sony Open, for playing a non-conforming club. His 4i was bent during yesterday's round, after playing from behind a tree. This has to be one of the dumbest things to get DQ'd for. You are basically fineing a guy thousands of dollars, because he slightly bent a club when playing a shot?????? Ridiculous.

Matt Every was DQ'd from the Sony Open, for playing a non-conforming club. His 4i was bent during yesterday's round, after playing from behind a tree. This has to be one of the dumbest things to get DQ'd for. You are basically fineing a guy thousands of dollars, because he slightly bent a club when playing a shot?????? Ridiculous.

Wow, the game is doomed. One stupid decision after another. We might as well pick up ping pong or darts instead. What a bunch of idiots running things.

Wow, the game is doomed. One stupid decision after another. We might as well pick up ping pong or darts instead. What a bunch of idiots running things.

The leadership of the PGA has turned into Clowns, all the way down...  I can't wait for the next "How to Stop the Decline in Golf" survey... :wacko:

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I guess my A player selection for the rest of the tourney just got decided. Unfortunately JB Holmes didn't make the cut either

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I agree. It is dumb and dumber. When these things happen I just cross my fingers and hope nobody outside the sport hears about it.

Regarding Every, when you're missing the cut by a mile, DQ and some days on the beach sounds better than getting up at 5am. He seems like the kind of guy who thinks like that. Doesn't he? 

Why is this a dumb rule? There was no penalty yesterday for him bending the club during a round. The penalty was for him not replacing or repairing the club before today. He knew it was messed up and forgot.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

It's another one of those rules that players and caddies don't know. It's a crappy rule. Who would ever play a bent 4i? But the bigger question is... Why wasn't it fixed before the round? Guess he really didn't need it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Why is this a dumb rule? There was no penalty yesterday for him bending the club during a round. The penalty was for him not replacing or repairing the club before today. He knew it was messed up and forgot.

He bent it the day before?

There may not have been any way for him to have it repaired, the vans are off the property by the time the first round starts. I'm sure there aren't many shops that would carry the exact Modus shafts that he plays. He should have just left it in the locker room and not put it back in the bag at all.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I agree with RR and PGA09 on that! Why would you carry a damaged club that is not fit for play anyhow? And I don't buy that ignorance of the rules at all. There is absolutely no excuse if not sure of the rule there are plenty of rules officials around willing to answer questions. I know when I played the minis I did a rules seminar at least once a year. If doing it for a living you darn sure better know the rules especially for the money they are playing for! I might be harsh but rules are rules and they are there for everyone.

I know everyone makes mistakes and everyone is human but man that was dumb.

The rule may sound stupid but it is posted there for all to see and in all fairness the PGA Tour had to rule accordingly.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So. If we follow the arguments from some of you, a rule can not be stupid/dumb if it's official and everyone knows about it. Correct? 

Sorry, but that's just as dumb as the rule itself. 

Rules regarding equipment should only be related to ways you can gain an advantage. There is no way a bent 4i will help you play better.

The rule is both simple and fair. He bent the shaft (noticeably) on Thursday. Because it was unintentional, and during the course of play, he could have sent for a replacement club right then. Because he was on his 9th of the day, and making the turn, it would have been convenient to replace the club right then. He did not have to replace it with the same exact club. You are allowed 14 conforming clubs.

If he would not have known the club was damaged, and used it on the next hole, there was no foul. This is not some double secret probation rule designed to provide some chicken sh!t excuse to DQ people. The instant he knew the club was bent it was no longer legal. Not to mention, a bent shaft can't perform as well as a straight one.

This rule also keep players from adjusting their clubs during the round. Even a conforming club becomes non conforming if you adjust it during a round.

The SLDR with the cover over the weight port becomes Non Conforming if the Cover comes off. However, the PGA has said, if it comes off during a round, that is ok, but must be repaired before the next round. There was a DQ last year because of this. He asked the TMag truck and they said it would not hurt the performance without the plug. Oops! It did make the club illegal and he was DQed. He asked the wrong people.

Here's my point. When I'm in a tourney, I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing, I'm sure these guys are 10x more focused in the task than I. You hit a shot, throw the club in the bag and go on. The next day when you go to grab your 4i and have an "oh f#!k" moment. You can say " rules are rules" all you want, but it's still bogus. Are we going to forget to replace our 4i? No, because we're crying that we have to replace.

Also, Every isn't one of the superstars. If this was Tiger or Rory, 200 people would have asked about that 4i after the round.

Here's my point. When I'm in a tourney, I'm pretty focused on what I'm doing, I'm sure these guys are 10x more focused in the task than I. You hit a shot, throw the club in the bag and go on. The next day when you go to grab your 4i and have an "oh f#!k" moment. You can say " rules are rules" all you want, but it's still bogus. Are we going to forget to replace our 4i? No, because we're crying that we have to replace.

Also, Every isn't one of the superstars. If this was Tiger or Rory, 200 people would have asked about that 4i after the round.

I agree 100%. Also what would he have been able to replace it with when the vans are off the courses?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I didn't realize he'd bent it the day before...  It might have been tough to replace it, but it shouldn't have stayed in the bag.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

This is not a case of you and I playing at Mirimichi, where we are both several hundred miles from home and we damage a club, we have no way to fix it there and continue to play it. We are not playing for a million dollars.

Every may not be a superstar like Rory or Tiger, but he did not make the shot and throw it in the bag and pull it out the next day. Sure he may have been focused on the shot and that hole. He may have been focused on the tournament, however this is not what happened.

He made the shot and handed the club to his caddy,  His caddy has the responsibilities of not only giving correct yardages, and handing him the club he asks for and cleaning his ball when he hands it to him to do so, but also to ensure that said ball is undamaged. He also cleans the clubs and checks it for damage before returning it to the bag.

Think Every is on the PGA's "list?" Sure seems like it.

That's one odd rule in the rulebook. A bent shaft is more likely to be a huge disadvantage in how it will perform.

I guess I don't follow what this rule protects against?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Think Every is on the PGA's "list?" Sure seems like it.

That's one odd rule in the rulebook. A bent shaft is more likely to be a huge disadvantage in how it will perform.

I guess I don't follow what this rule protects against?

This rule, IMHO, mainly ensures that the power of choosing what is conforming and what is not rests with the USGA and R&A.

However, I play with a guy who had the face of his RBZ crack.both near the toe and heel. Oddly enough much like the RSi 1 & 2 are made now. This increased the bounce he got off the face of the driver and he was hitting much longer drives. He continued to play this driver, and it was ultimately not fair to the rest of us because his COR was not the same as everyone else's. I did not care because his accuracy dropped way below what it had been and who cares if he hit it 300 yards in the trees.  Eventually, it cracked to where he was losing distance and TMag replaced it.

I agree that he was disqualified. Do I play by the rules each weekend? Not really. None of us amateurs do if you want to get technical about it. We do play by most if not all of the basic rules regarding drops, hazards, lie, wrong ball, provisional ball, etc., etc. I've always contended that professionals and their caddy should know the rules. Rory McElroy admitted a few years ago he didn't really bother knowing the rules since there are always rules officials handy. In fact, I've said for years that pros should be given a list of 10-15-20 basic rules they should all know. During a tournament they are only allowed, for example; 2 times they can summon a rules official. All other times they are required to make the call, act accordingly, and proceed on. Golf is a difficult game and the rules are a huge part of it. I see often Pros asking for a ruling for the most simple and basic of rules. I agree there's a lot of money at stake. I also contend you'd better know the rules. Tough luck Mr. Pro. Learn it or lose it. One last thing. I also would not allow some smart guy watching TV to be able to call in to report what he's sees as a rule violation. The rules of golf can help as much as hurt. Get to know them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't blame them for calling an official to make sure. They know they can get through a round, sign their card thinking everything is accurate, all to have someone call in an infraction they saw on TV. No that's not fair and shouldn't be allowed. But since it is, better safe than sorry, if for no other reason than to have an official witness to their drop or whatever the situation is.

To answer Golfspy Theoo's question.  he could have as I understand the rule replaced it without penalty during the stipulated round without penalty with the following conditions

1 - It was damaged in the normal course of play ie: playing a shot, or falling apart not being thrown and bent out of anger.

2 That in replacing the club that it did not cause undue delay in play.

3 That the replacement club had not been selected or put into play that day by another player in that event. In other words Mr Theoo you are finished for the day let me use your 4 iron until I get in nope that is a no no.

4 the rules do not stipulate a brand or type of club for replacement from what I have interpreted (perhaps PGA09 needs to interject here)

5 Now the damaged now non conforming club can remain in the bag if you cannot replace it for the remainder of the round as long as your playing opponents are notified about it and you do not make a stroke with the said club.

I have not consulted the rule book directly on this or looked at the PGA decisions guide but what I have quoted comes from memory. I have not done a rules seminar for a few years now but will go to one in March

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm pretty sure it can be borrowed from someone who is finished play for the day, but you wouldn't be allowed to borrow from a person still on the course.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

This rule, IMHO, mainly ensures that the power of choosing what is conforming and what is not rests with the USGA and R&A.

However, I play with a guy who had the face of his RBZ crack.both near the toe and heel. Oddly enough much like the RSi 1 & 2 are made now. This increased the bounce he got off the face of the driver and he was hitting much longer drives. He continued to play this driver, and it was ultimately not fair to the rest of us because his COR was not the same as everyone else's. I did not care because his accuracy dropped way below what it had been and who cares if he hit it 300 yards in the trees.  Eventually, it cracked to where he was losing distance and TMag replaced it.

I totally understand it as is the case of your friend's example and a cracked face.

The bent shaft doesn't help to increase distance or accuracy. Seems to me you should be able to play it at your own peril. Odd rule.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived