TESTERS WANTED! ×

When driver numbers are less than ideal

revkev

So this thread is for those who buy into Taylor Made's 17/1700 theory - if you don't, that's fine - start another thread and we can debate it there.

For here I'm striving for those numbers and did actually come close to it a few times on the LM this afternoon.  Overall though I was at about 16.5/2400.

So do I live with that?  Or do I try and make an equipment adjustment to reduce the spin a bit more?  If I do how much more distance might I gain.

My average height was 30 yards (a little high for my swing speed IMO) and my average angle of descent was 40 degrees - not bad but I'd like it just a tad flatter 37 degrees or so. 

I'm hopeful that Paderson will fit me for a little heavier shaft - Ideally it would be half an inch shorter but I've heard that shortening the shaft on the SLDR can make the swing weight high - perhaps that wouldn't be the case with a heavier shaft though.

Any thoughts from you track man guys or the guys that went to TMag last year?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For what it's worth, my numbers are better with heavier shafts than my swing speed would indicate.  

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Rev, have you played around with the Flightscope trajectory optimizer? Input your numbers and then you can adjust one metric at a time and see if you get more distance.

You could take your launch and find optimal spin number to maximize distance or vice versa. If spin is harder to change see what the optimal launch angle is for that spin.

http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Actually I've seen two recent tests that seem to indicate a shaft weight in the 60's is the best for most golfers.  When I was fit at the Tour Performance center I ended up with a bit heavier shaft.  There wasn't a great opportunity to mess with shafts at the TMag demo day that I went to last year and I practically had to beg the rep to let me try the 12 - he gave me the 10.5 at first - I hit it fine but clearly hit the 12 better - I figured I could mess with the shaft stuff later - then I took lessons and worked on my game so I didn't want to mess with it - until now - later is now!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That's a cool toy hckymeyer - it looks to me as if the key is to bring the spin down.  I launch it pretty high and especially so with that driver - if I can reduce the spin a bit I could add another 5 yards or so - of course if I could reduce the spin and add a couple of MPH in ball speed I'd really make the distance pop.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Rev looks like you are seriously tuning that driver up. From what I have heard from you and others you are already a good driver of the ball. Getting it tuned a little may make you absolutely dangerous on the course!

BTW I read somewhere either here or on another blog that someone is making different weights for the SLDR thing on the bottom of those drivers. I don't know messing with that also may help you. Get it tuned and then when we meet and play you will have to give me 2 up a side!!   :)

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

TaylorMade has different weights, they're available, but you can't just call them and buy them.  have to know who to go through.  If you want a lighter weight, pop the toe cap ovv, take it out and file a bit off the back of the piece that goes inside the track.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived