TESTERS WANTED! ×

Updated! With Pictures. If you had $500 To Spend...

Sschaffer24

Where did you go for the fitting?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to my local Golf Galaxy in Pittsburgh.

I knew here in PA we have Erie that are fitters as well. Golf Evolution they are called I believe. The nice thing to keep in mind is any of the Edel Golf fitters are trained by David Edel himself, so you know they're going to give you the appropriate attention.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Very nice putter man. You are right, Edel sure make some really nice equipment. Would love to demo their wedges sometime. :)

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Very nice putter man. You are right, Edel sure make some really nice equipment. Would love to demo their wedges sometime. :)

Got to have a pretty cool Edel fitting experience today. Will update a lot more info later but the wedges are absolutely awesome. I'm in love.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Severtheties,

Please keep us updated. I hope you are as impressed as I was. it's amazing that they tell you there is going to be this "aha" moment, you don't believe them, and then it sneaks up on you and ACTUALLY HAPPENS! Haha.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Severtheties,

Please keep us updated. I hope you are as impressed as I was. it's amazing that they tell you there is going to be this "aha" moment, you don't believe them, and then it sneaks up on you and ACTUALLY HAPPENS! Haha.

Mr_Theoo and I are going to do a whole story about that and more so I'll save most of the info for that. But I have never been fit for a putter (or actually any club for that matter....YET) and it was the most eye opening experience.

Part of the experience for me at least, was who actually fit us, but gain, more of that to come later.

I think the best part for me was watching a lot of older guys (no offense to anyone!) who probably just go out and hack it around and are very happy in doing that get fit. One guy was brought over to the fitter (who will go unnamed just for now) and had come in looking for a "custom order Scotty Cameron." Now, there is nothing wrong with Scotty Cameron's in my opinion. They are some really good looking putters and by their use on tour they are well made and work for a lot of people.

I think the difference was this gentleman THOUGHT he knew what he needed and he couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not sure if he had been fit before or was just guessing on his measurements but by the time the fitter was done with him the smile on his face was absolutely ear to ear. I walked away so I'm not sure if he ordered right then in there but considering what he came in for price range wise I'd say he probably did. AND this was only half of the fun we got to have today :D  

Dude,

I just got off the phone with the guy at Edel golf (Rob) and got a little back story on my putter. So It looks like what he actually did (didn't know this until right now) was do the face milling, then torched the face to bronze it, and then immediately oiled the face. Now because of that treatment these heads have a tendency to rust, so they sent the head to their plating and had a clear coat applied to seal the whole head.

Wow.

Back to the fitting.

I actually have a funny story about something you alluded to. When I went in for my putter fitting one of the putters I had in the back of my mind was another Scotty Cameron. This one is one of the GoLo mallets, and it's one of the very flowy styled heads with some toe hang and a really unique styling on the back. 

Knowing what I was looking for I felt that it could have been a perfect fit off of the shelf and was hoping to strike gold. I went through Edels putter fitting and the first time i lined it up? The thing was way out in left field! Tried it again? Same result.

Wanna know the point? What you pick up off of the rack and find perfectly visually appealing ISN'T the putter for you. Could you get lucky and find the perfect match? Sure. But what are the odds that all or the stars will line up? Slim to none.

Another example. After we have every part of this thing nailed down for the final head shape and everything that I decided to go with, we started to experiment with alignment lines. You would not believe how much of a difference the location and the number of lines make on your aim, and confidence.

The wedges are a completely different story. Severtheties if I can provide any input, backstory or give you any help for what you are writing, feel free. This company deserves some recognition.

Ask yourself, do you know what bounce you need for your swing? Probably not. And no, the course conditions aren't what make the difference. They matter, but they aren't the end all be all. 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Yea will do for sure. I agree, the company seems very solid. I've only met one person so far but that person was awesome. Spent plenty of time and was very attentive to detail. Excited to write this though and hope to encourage other to look it up. I will say though that we lucked out though as finding a fitter can be a real challenge. 

Yes,

The fitter is the biggest problem by far. They need to open up the network. But, it's almost a catch .22 because they want them all trained corrently and by Mr. Edel (the way it should be) but that's not something he can obviously travel the country and maintain a vast network of fitters through.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

As Jason mentioned we both for putters today and it was such a cool experience. Now I want one lol. Also got to hit their wedges and I'm definetly going to be getting me some of those as well. Now if they only had the irons lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Oh man... Their irons would be so fantastic. It's safe to say for the next set I purchase I'm going to have to look at though!

As I said theoo, I'd be happy to contribute if I can in any way!

Did either of you end up purchasing putters?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Oh man... Their irons would be so fantastic. It's safe to say for the next set I purchase I'm going to have to look at though!

As I said theoo, I'd be happy to contribute if I can in any way!

Did either of you end up purchasing putters?

Not today. Gotta clear that one with the boss but when I do I plan to get refitted and have it pimped out

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well hopefully you will give us some pictures! Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Congrats on the putter. It looks beautiful.

I would love to do what you did but it would be so hard to turn over complete control to the maker.  I mean, what if you didn't like the result?  That being said, you were wise to let the artist create and just stay out of the way.  Good instincts vindicated by great results.

How about some additional information for us:

What is the head made of?

What is the toe hang, or is it face balanced?

What's the deal with that shaft?

Also, can you add some more about the different alignment markings you tried and the difference in the results you saw?

Thanks.  

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Max,

I'm loving the questions! To answer the first one, I am the type of person that firmly believes you have to trust the guys who know what they're doing. Who am I to walk into the picture and start telling these guys what looks good? They work with the stuff every day, and I truly believe if you give the people something they WANT to work on, the work will reflect that. I feel mine is a good example of that!

The head is made of their standard 303 stainless steel. It's not a damascus or any kind of exotic metal.

Toe hang? I have no clue. To be honest with you, it was something they don't even discuss in the fitting process. The idea is that each person has a natural stroke in them. The idea is to not change that. Basically when you are fit through them it's to find all of the correct specs and alignment setup. We never discussed toe hang, I could look at the putter and give you an idea on it, but really I don't know and wasn't fit for it!

The deal with the shaft is pretty simple (yet cool). It's not graphite, it is a actually a steel shaft with a matte black finish. It was done strictly for the look. 

The alignment was one of the absolute coolest parts of the fitting. It was something I wasn't really expecting too much from, but leaving there it just reinforced how necessary being fit for a putter is.

Actually? I think it's the most important club in the bag to be fit for. 

So on to the alignment.

Basically, part of my previous putter (which is something they take into consideration. It's easiest to start with a prerequisite for what you like) was a top line that matched the colorfill of the putter itself. It was a black putter with a black line. So to Edel golf, that's considered the same as having no line.

So we started working with that. I was putting... okay with the first setup. It felt fine, but I didn't have a supremely high level of confidence with the putter. One of the other putters I was considering very heavily was a Ping Ketsch, which as we all know from the design of the club is it frames the ball very well. Any review you read mentions that, and after putting around the green with it, I felt the same way. At this point in the game, the Ketsch was the clear leader MAINLY because of the alignment capabilities. I was verbal about that to my fitter because hey, at this point we aren't dead set on any brand or specific putter, and just wanted the best choice. The Ketsch was very much in the running.

So, he asks for the putter after we have a brief conversation about my feelings on everything (keep in mind at this point we have the Edel putter completely dialed in. All weight/specs were nailed down.) He takes the putter and at first drew a single line on the back. I felt fine, putted with it a little bit and was close to making a decision on that setup. But, not wanting to throw away money, I kept coming back to the Ketsch. I just could see the line better.

So, he takes the putter back, adds two more lines on each side of the preexisting one and hands it back.

Something clicked. I had the alignment of the Ketsch, with the dialed in specs of the Edel, the perfect weight and feel and a putter I was completely blown away by. Like the other Edel fitting I took part in for my wedges, there was an "aha" moment. When all of the variables were taken into account, swinging that putter just felt... natural. I lined up easily, adjusted for speed, and would start the ball with a consistent roll stroke after stroke.

These guys know what they are doing.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I think the thing that sold me was with my putter he had me line up 4 different times with a mirror on the face of it. All 4 times the laser hit the black backdrop at 4 different positions all VERY right. He actually laughed out loud (I'm really a decent putter but I overcompensate with my swing and now won't have too). The cool part was once we found the right fit, I was able to put the putter down at set up and I hit the same mark on the backdrop with the laser 4 straight times without thinking about this. this tells me that with my stance and everything, I will be lining the put up the same each and every time.

I think the thing that sold me was with my putter he had me line up 4 different times with a mirror on the face of it. All 4 times the laser hit the black backdrop at 4 different positions all VERY right. He actually laughed out loud (I'm really a decent putter but I overcompensate with my swing and now won't have too). The cool part was once we found the right fit, I was able to put the putter down at set up and I hit the same mark on the backdrop with the laser 4 straight times without thinking about this. this tells me that with my stance and everything, I will be lining the put up the same each and every time.

EXACTLY!

It takes all of the compensations your body makes and just lets it be natural. How freeing that is can't be overstated. No more checks and balances. Just line up, let your ability take over, and hit the putt. So simple.

The wedges are the same way, but apply that to a distance measured in yards instead of feet.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Thanks for the rest of the story.  Having never experienced Edel putters in person it's great how much of your experience you were able to share.  I got a Ketch (Version 1) last year so I also appreciate the comparisons you included.

So many cool putters out there (and those that haven't been created as well) yet we can only use one at a time.  Seems like a shame.

Hope your new one keeps you smiling

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Max,

It's my pleasure my friend. The Ketsch was an excellent putter and if it works for you, roll it! I'm thrilled with what I have and if you have an opportunity check out the company for their wedges and their putters!

And hey, you can always be like the guy on that new golf commercial with the bag of drivers. Just rock a bag of putters! Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Archived