TESTERS WANTED! ×

How Many GolfSpies Does It Take to Change a Tire?

GolfSpy Barbajo

As it turns out, at least two...

Had an adventure in Orlando with wbealsd last night.  Bill came down to the show with TwinCitiesGolf.com - and had himself one hell of a good time!!!

I was driving Bill back to his hotel last night when we heard a loud, high-pitched whine that quickly turned into a "bang" and then a grinding sound.  Ruh Roh -- blown tire.

So we pull over to the side of Interstate 4 at around 9:30 at night and try to figure out how to change a tire in a Town And Country mini-van rental.  You figure two smart guys oughtta be able to figure this out fast and get on the road quick, right?

Hope -- Chrysler's instructions were either in hieroglyphics or written by an engineer who devised the idea of storing the spare UNDER the front console.  

Busy highway, dark and cars whizzing by use at 80 MPH made it hazardous duty (almost got killed twice by motorists who did not respect the idea of blinking hazard lights).  But we eventually got it done and got Bill home safe.

Great to meet with another MGS'er -- thanks for a great time Bill, and next time, you drive  :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Those cars that nearly hit you - did they have Callaway logo?

Nope - this spy was DEEP undercover.  One of the drivers did look like my ex-wife, tho...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Surprised it being a rental you did not have roadside assistance service. People do not pay attention to flashing strobe wrecker lights either! Yep I have been on the roadside assistance end of that scenario a many a night in my former job. Glad you guys did not get hurt seriously it is dangerous out there

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Did you have to pay for the tire? I had a flat on a rental once and they charged me for it, well, the company that is.

Glad you're safe. MGS would not be the same if you weren't here.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm surprised the rental did not have roadside assistance as well. For future reference ask your phone- it will play a video for you, makes it much easier.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm surprised the rental did not have roadside assistance as well. For future reference ask your phone- it will play a video for you, makes it much easier.

It was National - and they did offer roadside assistance.  They just told  us it would be around 90 minutes before they could get there....

Didn't think of the phone.  Guess that shows our age!   :mad:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It was National - and they did offer roadside assistance. They just told us it would be around 90 minutes before they could get there....

Didn't think of the phone. Guess that shows our age! :mad:

Either that or wave down a Soccer mom driving the same van and ask her how to do it!

Either that or wave down a Soccer mom driving the same van and ask her how to do it!

Now THAT would've been a better idea!  Or maybe a vanful of soccer moms....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yep, had an Adventure Ride and didn't even go to Disney!

And, the knowledge I will NEVER buy a Town & Country or rent from National ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

My wife drives a Town and Country and I too would like a few words for the genius that devised that spare tire location. It is a blast trying to get the tire out on the side of the road and make sure all three kids stay on the safe side of the guard rail.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

My wife drives a Town and Country and I too would like a few words for the genius that devised that spare tire location. It is a blast trying to get the tire out on the side of the road and make sure all three kids stay on the safe side of the guard rail.

It's really under a console? I thought he was being sarcastic.

OMG!  That is the most over engineered design for an automobile.  and really dangerous trying to pull it out from under the car....on the road side!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

OMG!  That is the most over engineered design for an automobile.  and really dangerous trying to pull it out from under the car....on the road side!

All things considered, we were lucky the flat was on the passenger side.  It would have been suicidal to even attempt removing the spare from the other side...

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

At least they give you enough cable to drag it out to unhook it and reattach it. At first I thought the guy was going to try to climb under the van. But even so, with a flat tire on the front, it can't have much clearance to slide out the same side I bet. And if you're not on flat pavement, even worse.

I don't know if Subaru still does it, but they used to have that flat 4 cylinder and mount the spare on top of the engine. I laughed the first time I saw that, but it's way better than that van.

It's just funny in general....when did we start needing a MANUAL to change a spare tire? I guess I'm nostalgic for the days you just popped the trunk and swapped out for a FULL SIZE spare....not a rubber donut.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

It's really under a console? I thought he was being sarcastic.

Yes it is.  You need to take a part of the tire iron and move a cover just behind the console and lower the spare tire.  Then you need to wedge under the car and drag it out to you, unhook the damn thing....spend ten minute cursing like a drunken sailor.

Oh and when you are done you get to repeat the process to get the cover back up under the car.  Freakin' genius!!!!!

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Yes it is.  You need to take a part of the tire iron and move a cover just behind the console and lower the spare tire.  Then you need to wedge under the car and drag it out to you, unhook the damn thing....spend ten minute cursing like a drunken sailor.

Oh and when you are done you get to repeat the process to get the cover back up under the car.  Freakin' genius!!!!!

We were in a rental, the cover and the flat DID NOT got placed back under the car!  They fit much better in the back seat ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Wow. Look out in the snow belt. The little bolt holding that spare in place rusts and its suddenly a flying object down the freeway. A lot of pickup trucks the spare is held up under the bed the same way. Insane design.

I felt like a dork giving praise to my Jeep when I saw it had a full size spare under the cargo floor that is easy to get at, but I wouldn't want to deal with anything like that.

I like the video and how "easy" it is in the dealership lot. Have him demo roadside on the interstate! LOL!

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

We were in a rental, the cover and the flat DID NOT got placed back under the car!  They fit much better in the back seat ;)

The video really does not capture what a pain in the a** this really is.  Try shooting the video on the side of a highway in the rain with trucks whizzing by at 80 mile an hour with three kids and my wife hiding in the thicket.  It is a real miracle that my kids did not get kicked out of school after the wonderful new words and phrases they learned from their father.  Two days later I had run flat tires installed and bought my wife the AAA Platinum membership since the is no shot she could do that on her own with three young children.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

The fact that the number of views on that video is close to 90.000 says it all.

Most of them probably illuminated by the flashlight app on a phone...

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived