TESTERS WANTED! ×

So What Is a 7-Iron, Anyway?

We all know this is going on, but it's still startling to see when you actually look it up...

Check major OEM club specs and you'll find the following 7-iron lofts:

30 degrees: TaylorMade RSi1, Callaway's Big Bertha and XR, Ping G25 and G30, Bridgestone J15 Cast. 

31 degrees:  RSi2, Wilson Staff D200, Sirxon Z 545, Callaway XR Pro and Apex, Bridgestone Dual Pocket Forged

32 degrees: Titleist AP1, Nike Vapor Speed, Bridgestone CB, Srixon 745 and all the Mizuno JPX series.

33 degrees: Callaway Apex Pro, Ping i24 and S55

34 degrees: TaylorMade RSi TP, Titleist AP2, Nike Pro Combo and all the Mizuno MP series.

35 degrees: Callaway Apex Muscleback, Titleist CB and MB, Nike Vapor Pro, Bridgestone MB. Wilson FG Tour V4 and FG Tour 100. 

You know what else is at 35 degrees? The 8-irons in the RSi 2, G30 and others. 

So what's a 7 iron? Basically anything between 30 and 35 degrees. Of course, 6-irons and 8-irons also fit within that spread.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Yeah, its so crazy to see what some of the iron lofts are now compared to what they used to be. You hear Johnny Miller or some of the older guys talk about how much more lofted their clubs were years ago. I've got mizuno mps and my 7 is at 36*. I had them built to have 4* between each iron starting with 44* on my 9.

So to me, a 7 iron is 170yds. And that could be an 8 or maybe even 9 to someone playing a set with a 30* 7 iron.

At the end of the day, no matter what number is stamped on that iron, it's all about getting it in hole the quickest.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

I haven't really looked up the specs like that. Thank Baraboj, I knew that they had minor differences but not that big. To me it's not about the club but the distance. During a casual game I love when someone asks what I hit into a par 3..... I confuse the heck out of them.

Maybe I hit a 3/4 knock down with a 6 instead of a 7. They hear me say 6 and they grab theirs and proceed to smash it over the green. I play as distances and shot type rather than man I should hit my 7.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

My Malty is 34° and that's about 2° less than I'd like. At the end of the day, it's an arbitrary number that is stamped on the bottom of a club...unless it's a new Hogan.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My Cobra Bio Cell 7 iron is 30.5*

My Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 7 iron is 33*

My Powerbilt AFO 7 iron is 31*

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

A 7 iron is that reliable club between a 6 and an 8.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'm with Tiba and jmwils, a 7i is just the club between your 6 & 8.  Doesn't matter what's marked on the bottom or what loft it is.

When the guys I play with all the time ask what club I hit I can usually just say 7i and they know they either hit the same, one more or one less because we know each other's games so well.  But usually when someone asks what I hit I'll just say what yardage it was.  I hit my 170 club or whatever the yardage was I was going for.  It takes the number on the bottom out of play.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The 7 is the club that 6 fears the most! 💀

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

I'm in the 'it doesn't really matter' camp

It does mean a bit of research is needed when demoing clubs, but once you've found a set you like you adapt to the clubs in your bag.

I've had a moan in the past about needing to add a gap wedge, buying an extra club because of the lofts being jacked - of course that also meant I didn't need a 3 iron! So swings and roundabouts.

I hit my 7 iron 145 yards on a calm day with my smooth swing, I can squeeze a few more out of it if I want - but why bother when I could hit my 6 iron smooth instead? I never care what anyone else hits, I know they are different, their clubs are different, their ball is different etc etc.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• SPY VIP

I do not care what loft, besides, even if they de-loft em they still gotta add tech to make em go up. I will admit mentally it's nice to be pulling a lower club out of the bag at longer distances these days and that alone can make a world of difference.

But like many before me have said, it's just the club between the 6 and 8.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Just for fun, when anyone asks what club we hit on a specific shot, we should just tell them the loft: "that was my "27 degree."

It will be interesting to see their reaction ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I like that WBealsd, I'm going to start doing that

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

What's a 7 iron?

The club Roy "Tin Cup" Mcavoy used to qualify for the US Open with. Also, the same club he is outdriven with and consequently loses his car to my favorite actor Don "Sonny Crockett/Burnett" Johnson and the hero of the movie.

:drops mic:

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

A 7-iron is whatever iron they choose to stamp the number 7 on.  There is no official standard for what a 7-iron is.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I don't really care what loft it is bc I only care what my set means to me but dang, a lot of these are stronger lofted or the same loft as my 6i. Crazy but that's what sells now days.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I usually ask what distance they play instead of club they hit. My buddies are all over the map, one can hit the 8 iron 170, another 160 and another can stretch it to 190. For me it's a steady 150 club. As a side, now I know why I picked up ten extra yards with my Callaways and struggle to hit it high. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

But usually when someone asks what I hit I'll just say what yardage it was.  I hit my 170 club or whatever the yardage was I was going for.  It takes the number on the bottom out of play.

Me too.  My buddies and I answer in terms of yardage because we all hit different distances.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

That club between 6 and 8 with a loft in the 33° range or so.

Ping K15 10.5° Regular TFC

Maxfli 3 Wood 15° Regular Series 76 tip stiff

Adams A12OS 19° 3 Hybrid Pro Launch Blue Regular

Wilson Staff C-100 4-GW Aldila RIP Phenom xi75 Regular

TMag ATV 54° & 58° Wedges KBS wedge flex

YES Callie-12 C-Groove milled, 35" Winn Jumbo Light grip

Now, does the CG of the head really necessitate THAT low a loft? That is the million dollar question with club design these days. I've also seen it stated that with the new grooves, the ball slides up the face a little more, so they say that also dictates stronger lofts.

One of my least favorite spec "trends" especially with GI clubs are their progressive LENGTHS.

The short irons might not be all that long, but by the time you get to the 5i in some of those sets, the shaft length is a good inch or two longer than what they used to be. Horrible for consistency for those seeking help from their clubs.

Also: the 85 gram low kick stock shaft in GI sets. Put a shaft that keeps the ball down in them and they become line drive hitters. No bueno. These shafts are meant to throw the ball in the air with plenty of spin, and the strong lofts are there to provide some distance back. They really design a lot of sets for the worst of swings.

And there weren't really "GI clubs" when I grew up. A cavity back was a GI club, so the complaints about modern gear are sometimes lost on me. People are a little spoiled too by equipment choices.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I've read somewhere that the stronger lofts have something to do with the technology in the club now. it's why you can have a 7 iron with a much lower loft but still hit it about the same height. You've got to admit that clubs of today are far more advanced than yesterdays, right? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I've read somewhere that the stronger lofts have something to do with the technology in the club now. it's why you can have a 7 iron with a much lower loft but still hit it about the same height. You've got to admit that clubs of today are far more advanced than yesterdays, right? 

The advancements are definitely there each year, but very incremental and small at this point with the rules set as they are. I think some designs of the past may have exhibited similar design elements, but weren't necessarily measured in the same ways? They have aerospace guys doing this stuff now and its all measured to the Nth degree. But, more forgiving isn't always more playable from less than perfect lies. I think there is a definite intersection of clubs helping up to a certain extent, but can get in the way too if too clunky in their resulting design. A little practice is still needed.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

A 7 iron is the club that every person I know who doesn't play golf can "hit the crap out of." My best friend doesn't play much golf at all but when he does venture out with me he literally plays almost the entire round with a 7 iron. Tee to green lol.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

The 7 is the club that 6 fears the most!

Why?  No one has asked!  Because 7-8-9.

Good one, I remember that.  Ronald McDonald, wasn't it?

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Why?  No one has asked!  Because 7-8-9.

Good one, I remember that.  Ronald McDonald, wasn't it?

OUCH!!!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A 7 iron is the club that every person I know who doesn't play golf can "hit the crap out of." My best friend doesn't play much golf at all but when he does venture out with me he literally plays almost the entire round with a 7 iron. Tee to green lol.

My college prof asked me if I wanted to go play 18 with him back in the day. His golf strategy was exactly the same. He'd calculate everything on how many 7 irons it would take to get there, and did just that. It was hilarious!

"Glute Activator"

Went to golfsmith today, they had the new cobra Fly Z irons so I thought it would hit it, expecting some added yardage, but what happened was ridiculous, I hit it 195 yards, I asked my buddy who works there how jacked up are the lofts on these clubs he thought they would be a few degrees from the mp 68s, so I looked it up the cobra fly z 7 iron loft is 30*, the 7 iron loft in the mp68, 35*. It got me thinking though, yes the loft is jacked up, almost 2 full clubs, but what I thought about was the size of the heads, to hit a 7 iron 190, verses a 5 iron 170, the head sizes are so different as well, even within the same set, so I thought forget the number on the club, a more forgiving 7 from 190 or a less forgiving 5 from the same set from 190. Which would I rather hit. this probably makes no sense at all to anyone, but this is just a mere spec of what goes on the mind of this lefty. Too many mind.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Went to golfsmith today, they had the new cobra Fly Z irons so I thought it would hit it, expecting some added yardage, but what happened was ridiculous, I hit it 195 yards, I asked my buddy who works there how jacked up are the lofts on these clubs he thought they would be a few degrees from the mp 68s, so I looked it up the cobra fly z 7 iron loft is 30*, the 7 iron loft in the mp68, 35*. It got me thinking though, yes the loft is jacked up, almost 2 full clubs, but what I thought about was the size of the heads, to hit a 7 iron 190, verses a 5 iron 170, the head sizes are so different as well, even within the same set, so I thought forget the number on the club, a more forgiving 7 from 190 or a less forgiving 5 from the same set from 190. Which would I rather hit. this probably makes no sense at all to anyone, but this is just a mere spec of what goes on the mind of this lefty. Too many mind.

No I completely understand your logic. I'd always love to have a shorter club that goes further.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

They have a set of rocketbladez tour LH that I was able to hit, 7 iron is more realistic to what it should be close to anyway, , 33.75*, I was hitting that 175, I hit it 185 with a little extra into the swing, I wthink getting those, I am going to replace the shafts with something a bit lighter, bit they felt great.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived