TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does Titleist get enough respect

JBones

With Taylormade and Callaway getting most of the headlines, Titleist gets little love.  We all know that Titleist dominates with the Pro-V1 ball, you really don't hear a whole lot else out of their camp.  I saw the below Tweet and thought "thats a pretty good stable of players", so I did a little digging. 

Titleist has quietly put together a stable full of great players to back their brand.  While Taylormade, Callaway, and Nike have put their money into major marketing campaigns, Titleist has sat back and "put their money where their mouth is".  The problem is, I don't think that has paid off at all in the club department.  As you can see below Titleist has more staffers ranked in the top 25 in the WGR than any other brand, as well as several others in the top 50.  Normally I would say, that clubs have nothing to do with the talent of the player, but look how much Rory struggled when he switched to Nike..

World Rankings.jpg

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm just impressed with the talent and character of the stable of players that Titleist has put together.

Don't get me wrong, as my signature indicates, I definitely think Titleist produces great products.  However, I think Titleist may tend to "rest on its laurels" a bit and does things "the way we've always done it."

Of all the company reps I spoke with at the PGA show this year, while the Titleist group was "Best Dressed," they were also the most difficult to distract from their "internal discussions" and the least informative when answering questions about their products.

When I mentioned I game the 913 D2 driver and wanted to know what specific improvements they'd made in their 915 models I was told, "we made it longer."

So, I guess that "technically" they sprinkled some "distance dust" on the face of the driver this year...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think Titleist and Ping are the most active in say college ranks, so they know who the good players are to sign coming out of college and don't have to go to the free agent market like the others and pay top dollar for "established" talent.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Like Bones said, the other guys spend a lot in marketing. Other than advertising for the Pro-V, you really don't see commercials for Titlesit equipment where as Taylormade, Callaway, and Nike actively market their equipment and technology to gain the attention of the golf market.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

Don't get me wrong, as my signature indicates, I definitely think Titleist produces great products.  However, I think Titleist may tend to "rest on its laurels" a bit and does things "the way we've always done it."

Of all the company reps I spoke with at the PGA show this year, while the Titleist group was "Best Dressed," they were also the most difficult to distract from their "internal discussions" and the least informative when answering questions about their products.

When I mentioned I game the 913 D2 driver and wanted to know what specific improvements they'd made in their 915 models I was told, "we made it longer."

So, I guess that "technically" they sprinkled some "distance dust" on the face of the driver this year...

I need to get me some of that "distance dust"!   But I tried the 915D2 and wasn't all that impressed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

I think on the backend of our surveys, it shows the opposite many times as well.  They get much more credit perceptually than they deserve performance wise in some categories.

#TruthDigest

I think on the backend of our surveys, it shows the opposite many times as well.  They get much more credit perceptually than they deserve performance wise in some categories.

Thats a good point.  They have always made equipment for a specific type of player and kind of said "F everybody else".  That certainly hurts more than it helps sales wise, while adding to the perception.  It brings more intrigue to the Fila buyout..............what path are they going to take with the brand.

On the flip side, I sometimes feel LM data pushes all-out distance in the average consumer mindset versus an all-around "playable" club.

Titleist doesn't always win the distance battle, but they make a club that can control the ball if you have the ability.

And their designs in recent years have been much more forgiving and akin to the competition than we've seen in the past sometimes. I think they brough more people into the fold to at least try their gear for this reason.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

On the flip side, I sometimes feel LM data pushes all-out distance in the average consumer mindset versus an all-around "playable" club.

Titleist doesn't always win the distance battle, but they make a club that can control the ball if you have the ability.

And their designs in recent years have been much more forgiving and akin to the competition than we've seen in the past sometimes. I think they brough more people into the fold to at least try their gear for this reason.

I'm not sure how many of the higher handicappers actually realize this.  Until I happened to win my 913 D2 driver in a charity tournament I played in, I certainly never considered myself a "Titleist Player."  The image, in my mind anyway, was that their equipment was geared toward the low handicap / tournament players and wasn't really suitable for the "Average Joe Hacker."

I was honestly surprised at how well the Titleist driver works for me, and that ultimately led me to add a Titleist fairway wood and hybrid to my bag.  They really are easier for me to control than what I'd been using in the past.  However, except for the "luck of the draw" that put the driver in my hands, Titleist would have been one of the brands I'd have been least likely to consider.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

How much do you spend on golf balls every year compared to clubs?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I think their mantra has always been "We bring you yesterday's technology... tomorrow"...

Every new product they launch them to be not much of a change from the previous one. So much so I can't tell the difference between a MB710, 712 and 714.. likewise for all their metalwoods.

But they do have great products, as I have been using their irons for quite many years now.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

I think their mantra has always been "We bring you yesterday's technology... tomorrow"...

Every new product they launch them to be not much of a change from the previous one. So much so I can't tell the difference between a MB710, 712 and 714.. likewise for all their metalwoods.

But they do have great products, as I have been using their irons for quite many years now.

I have 2002 Titleist FM's in the bag. I have spent a lot of money to replace them with better and newer equipment. The problem is there is not really any better equipment out there for me.

Yes, they release a new set of clubs every two years, that are marginally better than the previous years, but really the difference is in forgiveness. Those that do not need the forgiveness don't reap much of the rewards with these clubs, but I have a hi capper friend that plays all Titleist new equipment and AP1's with Tour AD shafts and he has never played better in his life.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

With Taylormade and Callaway getting most of the headlines, Titleist gets little love.  We all know that Titleist dominates with the Pro-V1 ball, you really don't hear a whole lot else out of their camp.  I saw the below Tweet and thought "thats a pretty good stable of players", so I did a little digging. 

Titleist 915 Metals On Tour - Distance From The Tee and Turf. http://t.co/UCtQtC1SrK #TeamTitleist pic.twitter.com/nfkso1JjiD

— Titleist (@Titleist) February 6, 2015

Titleist has quietly put together a stable full of great players to back their brand.  While Taylormade, Callaway, and Nike have put their money into major marketing campaigns, Titleist has sat back and "put their money where their mouth is".  The problem is, I don't think that has paid off at all in the club department.  As you can see below Titleist has more staffers ranked in the top 25 in the WGR than any other brand, as well as several others in the top 50.  Normally I would say, that clubs have nothing to do with the talent of the player, but look how much Rory struggled when he switched to Nike..

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm just impressed with the talent and character of the stable of players that Titleist has put together.

And lets not forget Titleist stalwart Steve Stricker who would be high in these rankings but for his injuries and reduced tournament schedule.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I have always thought that Titleist has always been geared to the "better player" Not really into the mainstream on advertising like say Cally or TMAG but do not forget besides the Pro V balls you have Vokey Wedges and Scotty Cameron Putters. I think their thing is not really about "distance" but on speciality clubs. They do run some commercials on The GC mostly the fitters forum series. I do know from being in the business on and off that they are selective about their staffers on the club pro levels. Being an equipment junkie I have also noticed that players that started off with Titleist in say the college ranks tend to stick with the brand (this does not include PGA Tour pros) I have also noticed that most Titleist players do not change Irons that often and only replace Vokey wedges when they wear out. Personally I was a die hard fan of the older Vokey 200 series of wedges until they became non-conforming. I simply cannot afford the new remakes so I went another route.

Personally I think that the way they do it is a part of their marketing plan. Like any other business a different plan of marketing that suits their overall game plan

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree with most people here. Taylormade is 100 percent marketing about distance. Titelist besides their V1's which I've never able to hit seems to be more of a you know it when you play it. It would take a lot for me to switch from my wedges, and I've been gaming them since I started getting serious. I think it's great for a company to not advertise but go with the play it and you will see attitude. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'm definitely not what I would call a "better" player but, I have a lot of confidence in Titleist drivers.  I have an 909 F 3 wood that I wouldn't even consider taking out of the bag. I've always played Vokey wedges, so I can't say if I like another brand better or not.

I think Titleist, like Mizuno, is about quality, while leaving the distance hype, racing stripes, fins, and garish paint themes to the others................... and I like it.

IMO, if anything, Titleist gets too much respect.  They havent really done anything new in years, if not decades, yet everyone still talks about everything they do like its so amazing and so new and Im always like, "meh"...*shrug*

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

It's felt for a long time (to me anyway) that Titleist are not for me, I used to like their clubs - whenever I try them now Its an anti climax.

Let's be clear though I love their balls

But, Id suggest they get a little to much credit at times for their clubs.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

How much do you spend on golf balls every year compared to clubs?

I probably spend more on grips each year, than I do on golf balls - lol

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I saw them get some respect today! Was at a local brick and mortar and watched a guy, who as far as I could tell, hasn't played much if any golf!!! Ever!!! I watched this gentleman drop upwards of $3g on all brand new Titleist equipment! From driver to putter to bag. would be sweet to have that in the budget!!!

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

If nothing else, he's got a sweet looking bag ;)

Now all he has to do is buy a swing to go with it!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I saw them get some respect today! Was at a local brick and mortar and watched a guy, who as far as I could tell, hasn't played much if any golf!!! Ever!!! I watched this gentleman drop upwards of $3g on all brand new Titleist equipment! From driver to putter to bag. would be sweet to have that in the budget!!!

That makes me want to cry. He is probably going on a trip somewhere warm and needs some new gear.  

Live and let live?

Titleist means tradition to me, nonsense, classic, quality, etc.  My personal experience with Titleist equipment is limited, I like the Vokey wedges I own, bought a 913Fd 3 wood out of the demo barrel but it is a hook machine and has lost out to a Callaway Razr Hawk.

I've demoed the hybrids, AP2s, its good stuff, but the other guys have good stuff too.

It does seems that their gear is rarely put on sale, and if it is, its not much. And when it does go on clearance, it disappears fast.   When the Vokey SM4s were reduced this summer due to the release of SM5s, the 60 degree wedges vanished.  

The ProV1,when properly compressed on a warm day, seems to just soar like no other ball I've ever hit.  I like that soaring stuff.

Finally. Titleist equipment seems to have good re-sale value, that indicates respect.  When the guy in the store comes back from his trip, he can sell his stuff with a nice margin.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

When the guy in the store comes back from his trip, he can sell his stuff with a nice margin.

To me?? ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Haha! I'm on it!

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

That will all change seeing that they are going public. Just watch the add coming out in the next year or two.

Titleist AP1 irons

Titleist 913D 7.5 Degree, Stiff Speeder Tour Spec 6.2 Shaft

Wedges: Taylormade 60 d Titleist Vokey 54,56,58

Seemore Mallet Putter

Right Handed

Apple Valley, MN

8 Handicap

10885218_10205856139265562_6140026354236

I have 2002 Titleist FM's in the bag. I have spent a lot of money to replace them with better and newer equipment. The problem is there is not really any better equipment out there for me.

Yes, they release a new set of clubs every two years, that are marginally better than the previous years, but really the difference is in forgiveness. Those that do not need the forgiveness don't reap much of the rewards with these clubs, but I have a hi capper friend that plays all Titleist new equipment and AP1's with Tour AD shafts and he has never played better in his life.

I think one common misconception about Titleist is that it's all player's clubs and not very forgiving.

But the offerings from Titleist in the past 5 years has been very forgiving, especially their drivers. As for their irons, you pretty much get what you bargained for. If you got yourself a set of Titleist blades, how forgiving can they get?

So yes, chosen correctly, a Titleist set can work as well as any other brands in the hands of a high capper.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

IMO, if anything, Titleist gets too much respect.  They havent really done anything new in years, if not decades, yet everyone still talks about everything they do like its so amazing and so new and Im always like, "meh"...*shrug*

At least one recent product- the AP2 irons: how many companies scrambled to make their own version of that iron? Almost everyone.

Best adjustable hosel of any of the clubs out there.

Just a couple examples.

"Glute Activator"

I think one common misconception about Titleist is that it's all player's clubs and not very forgiving.

But the offerings from Titleist in the past 5 years has been very forgiving, especially their drivers. As for their irons, you pretty much get what you bargained for. If you got yourself a set of Titleist blades, how forgiving can they get?

So yes, chosen correctly, a Titleist set can work as well as any other brands in the hands of a high capper.

I have a friend who is only 10, and he is at least a 2 handicap or less, probably scratch, and he plays with titleist mbs, it's insane.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I have played many of their clubs but my perception of the brand has always been that while they make great equipment I've always thought of them as willing to have anyone be a part of their staff.

Since they seem to back most of the PGA professionals I see at courses in my area, I just always assumed being a part of their staff was what you did when no one else would pay you more?

I could be completely wrong, but that's the perception I have.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Archived