Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Wedges?

Severtheties

So Theoo and I went to the driving range today. I've known this for a while but he was making fun of me so I guess its time to get some new wedges. I've been able to play some golf over the past couple years but I haven't bought anything new and have really lost the pulse of the equipment industry. I'm sure there are a TON of varying opinions but I'm curious about everyones thoughts on different brands of wedges and why? 

This can be a very broad topic right now. Ill get into specifics when I narrow it down.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Skip the experiments and go straight to the answer.... SCOR/Hogan.

Depending on what you like there are plenty of choices out there. Scor is a very popular choice but are hard to find in stores to demo. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Love my Scratch wedges! They can be had for a good price with a bit of searching.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

SCOR/Hogan! I get the difficult to demo part but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love them. Supposedly Hogan will have a network of fitters. I would wait until that happens and then try them out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't over look Wishon. Club fitters nationwide.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I love my scratch wedges and someone will have to pry them out of my unconscious hands if they want them. I've even got a back ups waiting in the closet when I wear out my 60*. With that said there are tons of great options. Vokey, Cleveland, scor, Nike, Callaway all have great wedges. Its just finding the right shape and grind to fit you.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'm a huge Vokey guy, but haven't used a different wedge in years. I'd try a bunch out including scors and see which one you like the best.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Big SCOR wedge fan. I had my 54 and 58 SCORs when Rev and markb were doing forum testing of SCOR wedges last year. Their results led me to add the 50, 46, and 42 and I don't regret it one bit. Best I have ever had.

SCOR sent out a demo kit to some dealers, mostly golf course pro shops, I think. When I inquired about them, they said that a local course in my area had a set. I play at the course frequently so I asked about them, and they brought out a box that had 5 wedges in it. Looked like they had never been hit. I took the sand wedge to the practice area and hit chip/pitch shots, bunker shots and full shots on the range. Rushed home and called Barry at SCOR and ordered my 54 and 58. I wonder if these sets still exist and if Ben Hogan Golf will tell you where they are. Couldn't hurt to ask.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I played the Cleveland RTX for most all of my rounds last season. They don't look all that special, but they worked really well for me (2 dot bounce, 50,54,58 in the black pearl.) Plan on the same in the RTX 2.0 for this season.

I've played Vokeys quite a bit as well, but the "newest" ones I have are circa 2009 still with the old grooves. They still spin pretty well compared to new grooves.

Played 3 types of Ping wedges over the years. I think their best recently was the Tour S. Glides look promising. I like the color coding and getting the specs I have in my irons with Ping.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I think if you read all the responses....wedges are very personal choices....all of them are good....all of them will play good.  The best wedge though...is the one you have the most confidence with.  Test them on grass....mats will hide how the bounce and grind truly works for your swing.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

SCOR/Hogan! I get the difficult to demo part but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love them. Supposedly Hogan will have a network of fitters. I would wait until that happens and then try them out.

This is not totally true. You and I have met and I do not "Love" my Scor wedges. Actually, I hated them initially, but then what I really hated was the shafts. They were regular flex and light weight. After I replaced them with KBS Wedge Shafts in X Flex. I am beginning to become more accustom to them now, but as much as I would love to be on the Scor Bandwagon and drinking Scor Koolaid, it is not love at first sight.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I drink the SCOR Koolaid. I've noticed a big improvement in the results of my mishits versus the Cleveland 588 RTXs I was playing before I got them.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have scor wedges. I got them long before the review here and didn't get them for free. So I wouldn't say my opinion is stained with the color of koolaid. Haha! I've tried a number of wedges and like scor the best.

Now Cobra? They gave me a full bag. That could be koolaid influence, but I'm still happy with them. Scor kicked the Cobra wedges out though I will say. Sorry José.

Obviously, your wedge choice will be based on your feel and swing. Until recently, I carried 6 wedges in my bag; mostly due to not knowing how in the world to hit any of them.

when I finally decided to buy new, I demod every club they had. In the interest of full disclosure,there are no Scor clubs there for me to hit.

After an hour and a half, i finally decided ended up with 2 Cleveland 588 RTXs. 56º & 60º.

I really liked many of the wedges I hit. The different soles on the 588s allowed me to find the club that fit my swing. Playing my swing on courses here that dont have the plush fairways you might find else where, how the club bounced made a big difference.

Bottom line, hit em all..........

to, be a cliche...........the clubwill pick you

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

No one has mentioned this brand, so in the wedge game I think they are necessary to check out.

Check out Edel golf. If you can get to a fitting of theirs, it is truly eye opening. Offering the level of customization they do, plus the full fitting as well, makes them a no brainer.

Do some research on them. They're really pretty amazing clubs. Obviously there are only so many ways someone can produce a wedge, but the design/idea of these wedges are pretty cool!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Did you leave it on a green?

LOL no. I've never been one to do that (I probably just jinxed myself). I tend to put my towel, any clubs I have with me, and the pin all on top of each other on the green so when I have to put the pin back in everything is there. 

My wedges are so old they almost have zero groove. I have a pretty high rev rate on the golf ball and can hardly spin a ball with my wedges its so bad.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Having just pulled my Bio Cells from the bag to try the Mizzy JPX800 Pros with Project X shafts, I put my old Mizuno MP T-11 SW in the bag and stuck a 52* John Daly Gap Wedge in between. Got the JD in a $40 Warrior Christmas grab bag and have never used it.

After two rounds, I was perfect out of the bunkers with the SW. Still trying to get my distances right with the GW, as I use it for 70 to 85 yd shots and chips form inside 50 yds.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Having just pulled my Bio Cells from the bag to try the Mizzy JPX800 Pros with Project X shafts, I put my old Mizuno MP T-11 SW in the bag and stuck a 52* John Daly Gap Wedge in between. Got the JD in a $40 Warrior Christmas grab bag and have never used it.

After two rounds, I was perfect out of the bunkers with the SW. Still trying to get my distances right with the GW, as I use it for 70 to 85 yd shots and chips form inside 50 yds.

I am looking for a wedge set that will compliment the JPX 800 Pros.

Anybody gamed the refinished, ported wedge sets off eBay?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 offer great feel and spin. I was a Vokey guy until I tried the new Mack Daddy.

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 offer great feel and spin. I was a Vokey guy until I tried the new Mack Daddy.

Can't go wrong there and that is what I have currently in the bag.  Over the winter I guess I decided to hoard wedges and have Mizuno MP4s and MP5s, Scratch 8620's, Vokey SM4 and SM5s to go with the other 20 that I have in the basement from a host of companies.  It is all a matter of what you feel comfortable with and really can't go wrong with a lot on the market.  The MD2s spin a bit more than the other wedges that I have tried which is good in a lob wedge for me, but not sure how that will work in my gap wedge. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I just sold my Mizuno MP-R12 wedges and am hunting. It's either going to be Scor, Scratch or Callaway. I kept pulling my Mizzys left all the time and it was really not helping me hit the greens. They felt incredibly nice but that one issue was enough to jump ship.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I just sold my Mizuno MP-R12 wedges and am hunting. It's either going to be Scor, Scratch or Callaway. I kept pulling my Mizzys left all the time and it was really not helping me hit the greens. They felt incredibly nice but that one issue was enough to jump ship.

Might want to have the lies checked on whatever you buy next.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Might want to have the lies checked on whatever you buy next.

Can't echo this more. I had the loft and lie check3d on 2 iron sets the other day and holy crap one was jacked up. The other wasn't as bad but still off

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

They were probably too upright or something. I'm not sure. Either way, no one even remotely near me can do it so it's like this with every piece of equipment Kinda like throwing darts with my eyes closed 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Those spinner shafts aren't for everyone. Definitely check the lie angle (and shaft length for that matter) for the next ones, and see about matching your wedge shafts to your iron shafts if you like those.

Mizunos tend to run a little flat in the lie angle if they were stock, so would be surprised if they were too upright unless you play your irons quite flat.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I just bought these. I tried them out at a Sportcheck in a mall in Fredericton and they felt really good and the ball spin was excellent.

Archived