Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Worst players to win a major?

westy

Ok, they've won a major they can't be bad players really. But Paul Lawries shenanigans with soft drinks made me start thinking about those players who've won a major but hardly anything else. Lawrie wouldn't be on my list by the way....

So I offer you Ian Baker-Finch, a major winner that i doubt many could even name.

And please note I'm being too harsh here, they've won majors and my word plenty of players never will - so fair play to them.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

There's YE Yang -- who's disappeared. Love Keegan Bradley, but he's in and out these days -- same with Graeme McDowell. 

What's Mike Weir up to these days?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Todd Hamilton.  In 2004 he won the Honda Classic and British Open; those are the only two wins he has.  He has played horribly in every other  Major (see below, courtesy of Wikipedia)

Results timeline[edit]

Tournament 1988 1989
Masters Tournament DNP DNP
U.S. Open CUT DNP
The Open Championship DNP DNP
PGA Championship DNP DNP
Tournament 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
Masters Tournament DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP
U.S. Open DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP
The Open Championship DNP DNP CUT DNP DNP DNP T45 DNP DNP DNP
PGA Championship DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP
Tournament 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
Masters Tournament DNP DNP DNP DNP 40 T39 CUT CUT T36 T15
U.S. Open DNP DNP DNP DNP CUT CUT CUT CUT T36 T36
The Open Championship DNP DNP DNP CUT 1 CUT T68 CUT T32 CUT
PGA Championship DNP DNP DNP T29 T37 T47 CUT T66 CUT DNP
Tournament 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Masters Tournament CUT DNP DNP DNP DNP
U.S. Open DNP T60 DNP DNP DNP
The Open Championship CUT CUT CUT T73 CUT
PGA Championship DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP

Mark Brooks?

Larry Mize or Bob Tway may not appear highly on Greg Normans deserving winners list either and I seriously doubt Michael Campbell, Steve Jones or Corey Pavin could reprise any form that would capture a second major title. Every dog has his day I suppose - even Tom Kite.... :rolleyes:

Id forgotten about Todd!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Another good question -- who is the best player to only win ONE major? -- Kite would be a pretty good choice....

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

John Daly

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I think Bones has the winner but I will throw in Ben Curtis in the mix.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

John Daly

JD actually got 2 - all the more amazing considering his rather topsy turvy career. Andy North, Hubert Green, Curtis Strange and Lee Janzen could also feature in the "I can't believe they got 2" list.

Another good question -- who is the best player to only win ONE major? -- Kite would be a pretty good choice....

I was thinking maybe Freddy Couples.

Davis Love III has ONE major and 20 wins on the PGA.  He gets my vote.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with Bones, It's got to be Todd Hamilton.  Beem's had far more overall success on (and off) the tour.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

JD actually got 2 - all the more amazing considering his rather topsy turvy career. Andy North, Hubert Green, Curtis Strange and Lee Janzen could also feature in the "I can't believe they got 2" list.

With Curtis Strange, I'm in the "I can't believe he ONLY got 2" list.  He was a hell of a player in his day...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

With Curtis Strange, I'm in the "I can't believe he ONLY got 2" list.  He was a hell of a player in his day...

Opinions may vary of course...

Anyone who makes zero top 10's and makes only 9 cuts in 13 starts in the oldest of all the majors can never really be considered as "great". A purple patch between '85 to '89 perhaps, but that's about as far as it goes for me. He may well have been a hell of a player in his "day", but I fancy his days were strictly too limited to qualify as an all time great. 

Don't even get me started on the "Hall of Fame" BS....

Mike Weir, Y.E. Yang and Phil come to mind.  Sure, Phil has on several majors but its either feast or famine with him.  When he's one his game, he's one of the best golfers in the world.  He's much more interesting to watch when he's off his game though because he's always spectacular: be it if he pulls off a hero shot or goes down in flames.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Opinions may vary of course...

Anyone who makes zero top 10's and makes only 9 cuts in 13 starts in the oldest of all the majors can never really be considered as "great". A purple patch between '85 to '89 perhaps, but that's about as far as it goes for me. He may well have been a hell of a player in his "day", but I fancy his days were strictly too limited to qualify as an all time great. 

Don't even get me started on the "Hall of Fame" BS....

Maybe - but he was one of the best of the late 80's.  You got me thinking about it - so looked up his Wikipedia page. 5 Top 5's in majors to go along with 2 US Opens -- didn't say he was one of the best ever, but he coulda/shoulda/woulda won a couple more. Damn Rae's Creek....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Mike Weir, Y.E. Yang and Phil come to mind.  Sure, Phil has on several majors but its either feast or famine with him.  When he's one his game, he's one of the best golfers in the world.  He's much more interesting to watch when he's off his game though because he's always spectacular: be it if he pulls off a hero shot or goes down in flames.

Are you out of your mind, Phil as one of the worst golfers to win a major?????

The guy has won every year he has been on tour with the exception of 2 or 3 years, and he played most of those during the "tiger" prime era. Sure his game is sporadic most of the time, but you don't win and win and win in the era he played, and also be bad, you're crazy man

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Some of the guys being listed here as surprises were pretty good players - I'm wondering why their names are coming up.  Tom Kite?  Better player than Fred Couples just not the charisma but certainly a more consistent player - it was a shock that he only won one.  Phil?  He's on the cusp of top 10 all time.  John Daly, I can't stand the guy but he won two very distinct and different majors as well as a few other tournaments. 

Even guys like Steve Jones, Bob Tway and yes Larry Mize were very good players for shorter periods of time - Jones had injury issues that sidelined him while Tway and Mize faded after their major victories - their wins were not shockers though - just the way the wins happened - they were good players at the time.

Worst ever has to be a guy who did little else.  I would have gone with Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis but just for yucks I'll introduce a new name.  Jack Fleck.  A mini tour, driving range pro with three tour wins (at a time when lots of guys didn't play the tour full time) and one US Open albeit a shockingly great one.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Worst ever has to be a guy who did little else.  I would have gone with Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis but just for yucks I'll introduce a new name.  Jack Fleck.  A mini tour, driving range pro with three tour wins (at a time when lots of guys didn't play the tour full time) and one US Open albeit a shockingly great one.

Fleck is a good call -- he's part of the brigade of the wrong guys winning at Olympic...with Caspar beating Palmer, Scott Simpson beating Watson and Webb Simpson beating McDowell, Furyk and Harrington.  Caspar doesn't belong in the group of nobodies, but Scott and Webb Simpson may be in Fleck's category...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I don't know Scott Simpson did win 7 tour events and he was in contention down the stretch a few times in majors.

Of course the jury is out on Web Simpson, he's still young and building his resume.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Going by the numbers, can anyone be more woeful than Shaun Micheel?

One victory- 2003 PGA Champ. ONE career 2nd place. One career 3rd place. That's it.

Kinda makes me wonder where Chad Campbell would be in this convo had he won that PGA.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Going by the numbers, can anyone be more woeful than Shaun Micheel?

One victory- 2003 PGA Champ. ONE career 2nd place. One career 3rd place. That's it.

Kinda makes me wonder where Chad Campbell would be in this convo had he won that PGA.

I'd say he's there with Hamilton and Curtis although I seem to recall Curtis with another win. The reason I called Fleck is that his other two wins came in an era when few if any played golf as their full time living.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'd say he's there with Hamilton and Curtis although I seem to recall Curtis with another win. The reason I called Fleck is that his other two wins came in an era when few if any played golf as their full time living.

I looked it up when I posted about Micheel: Ben Curtis has 4 career victories. (I know!! Hard to believe!)

I think that gives him an "out" in this topic.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Curtis must be one of those all or nothing guys, I do remember him winning one other tournament, four is a good career. We think of Tom Lehman as a very good player and he had a major and four or so wins. Once he made it out on tour he was very consistent though, often in contention.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am going with Lee Janzen. I know he has two but went 17 years from his last win to his next win which was on the Champions Tour.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Archived