Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What to do when they stop making your stuff?

Mr_Theoo

It seems like whenever I find a product I love the company stops making it. Last year it was the REL N-DUR grips from Lamkin and this season it seems like my Project X flighted shafts have met the chopping block. 

What products have you had get taken away from you and what did you do to replace them?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The first product to come to mind is SCOR wedges.  Yes, Ben Hogan has a wedge line, but if I wanted to replace a SCOR wedge I have, or add a different loft, I'd be on eBay.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

It's hard to discontinue stuff - doesn't matter if it's being replaced with something "new and improved," or if it just wasn't selling, someone's going to miss it.  

Downside is something you like is no longer...but look at the upside, this might open the door to finding something you like even better.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Gotta say my SCOR wedges. The good thing is they're still new. The other good thing is the new Hogan wedges are the same with the exception of the name on the back.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I usually try to find deals on the closeouts and stock up.  That depends on what it is though and how much I like it vs something else that could be a replacement. 

For instance on your shafts, I wouldn't be overly concerned because you can still find sets of pulls and worst case is pull the shafts in your current set to put into a new set.  If those are shafts that you know are fit perfectly for you, then it's not a bad idea to keep an eye out for another set at a good price.  That way you have a backup.  For things like grips I would keep an eye on ebay and Amazon and when you find a good price buy a bunch.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Gotta say my SCOR wedges. The good thing is they're still new. The other good thing is the new Hogan wedges are the same with the exception of the name on the back.

But they are not the same for us graphite users.  The shaft is different, and I don't know how the difference will translate into feel.  I know the SCORs are the right clubs for me; I don't think they could be any better, and there is a good chance they could be worse.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My PING scottsdale Pickemup B putter.

I bought a backup last year on ebay brand new for 80 bucks.

I don't know if I'll ever use another putter.

I realize that it's not hard to find yet, but I didn't want to take the chance as with the recent rules change long putters are probably going to go the way of the dodo.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Whenever I find shoes to fit, finally, they change them the next season without fail. I always buy shoes at least 2 pair at a time.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I absolutely love my Taylormade XFT wedges, however the grooves are worn and I can't find replacement faces ANYWHERE! If anyone has a guy let me know.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

I absolutely love my Taylormade XFT wedges, however the grooves are worn and I can't find replacement faces ANYWHERE! If anyone has a guy let me know.

Exactly why I was dubious about that product. I wondered how long they'd make the faces.

We have our answer, unfortunately.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

But they are not the same for us graphite users. The shaft is different, and I don't know how the difference will translate into feel. I know the SCORs are the right clubs for me; I don't think they could be any better, and there is a good chance they could be worse.

I see what you're saying Kenny. Didn't think about that. I'm not sure if the steel shafts are the same either now that you mention it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I've never found anything that I got too attached to that I couldn't live without it. Maybe it was a combination fundamentally average equipment with seriously low-tech design. A good old bag of blades in my prime - but these days I just move with the times. AP2's for now, but at their current wear rate, it's only a matter of time before they get replaced too. Ebay has certainly been a boon for picking up used gear for peanuts - anything else I just tweak to suit my requirements. 

I certainly wouldn't refurb or regroove any club - the world is full of so many replacements what's the point?

Those XFT wedges were great and the unused faces go for more than the whole clubs on ebay IF you can find them!   Right now there are only 2 for sale in RH.

When I really love something and it's going bye-bye, I stock up.   I'm gonna need to get a spare Scor 54 and 58 right away.   My old Fuji Zcom shaft which I love so much was made like 7 years ago.   I found a New old stock uncut stash 3 years ago and so I bought 5 of them!   I have only one left since I put the others in other clubs or tips which I eventually sold off.   I can't find them anymore.

But word of advice -- don't do this with basketball shoes.   Years back I bought a beloved pair of Nike Air Force 180 pumps when they were the top of the line.

vintage-nike-force-pump-lot-05.jpg

I loved them and they were only made about 1 or 2 years, so I went to the Nike store and bought 2 more spares.   I wore the first pair into the ground, then switched to pair two.   Immediately they hurt my feet like I'd cracked an arch.   Turns out, foam rubber insoles decay rather quickly and are no good for actual use.   I had to Dr. Scholls the crap out of pair 2 just to use them and I sold off pair 3 to some idiot Nike collector who puts them on his shelf and will never wear them.   Honestly, these Nike collectors are insane.   It's like having a cellar full of wine that you can never drink because all of it has gone bad over time.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I have a couple extras in my scratch 8620s. I will be heart broken when I wear them out. Then will begin the search for the same grinds lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have a couple extras in my scratch 8620s. I will be heart broken when I wear them out. Then will begin the search for the same grinds lol

Start an extra bank account Undershooter, put $5 in per week and by the time the extras have worn out you can have your new favorite wedge maker grind them to your hearts content!

Start an extra bank account Undershooter, put $5 in per week and by the time the extras have worn out you can have your new favorite wedge maker grind them to your hearts content!

As good as that sounds, I'm too cheap to let myself do that. Although on the second thought. My lob wedge is the only one I would get custom ground. I guess I could always call scratch and get them to do it...

Thanks for the idea Brad, I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

You find new stuff that you like.  I cant say that Ive ever had an instance where a piece of equipment was discontinued where I couldnt live without it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

You find new stuff that you like.  I cant say that Ive ever had an instance where a piece of equipment was discontinued where I couldnt live without it.

Exactly!  And when I do go looking, I usually find new stuff that I didn't know existed.  That's the attitude I'm taking with the SCOR wedges.  They're gone... as much as I love them, when it comes time to replace, I know I will find something else.  Who knows...  maybe when I find a Hogan fitter, I will find that I love the T.K. wedges even better.  If not, then the fun really begins!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Mine was the Lamkin Performance Plus 3gen. They also quit doing the reduced taper that was on the 3gend

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived