Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weekly MGS Forum Survey

JBones

Distance or Accuracy  

47 members have voted

1. 1. On a 7000yd course would you rather be.....

• 300 in the rough
    • 250 in the fairway
  2. 2. On a 6200yd course would you rather be.....

• 300 in the rough
    • 250 in the fairway

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in highschool and college it would have been 300 anywhere. Now, I'd rather be in the fairway. Especially on a 7000 yard course that might mean some longer irons but I'd rather be able to hit towards the green and keep it in play than risk the obsticles. A 7000 yard course becomes much longer from rough and behind trees in my opinion.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I voted the way I normally think, but in reality it really depends on where in the rough, and what the rough looks like.  I picked 300 in the rough on the 7000 and 250 in the fairway on the 6200.  If we are talking US open rough then that answer changes.  If we are talking local muni rough and still have a decent shot then I stand by my answers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

300 yards and ONLY in the rough?   I'd take that every friggin time.   That would mean that I'm hitting a sand wedge at most greens that you 250 guys are hitting 8 irons at.   I can hit a SW a hundred yards onto a green from most anything.

The problem is when the 300 yard drive ends up in a worse spot than the rough, when it flares OB or finds the trees or the next hole.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I too say depends on the rough, 1st cut, 2nd cut, etc.  For example: 400 yard par 4.  I like my chances with my 9 iron 150 yard out from the fairway better than an 8 iron from 3 inch Bermuda rough.  Ball flight, spin, and distance is far more predictable from the fairway compared to the rough......

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

For me - 250 in the fairway for a 7000yd course, 300 in the rough for 6200yd course. Here is my reasoning:

• 7000yd course: I'm probably not reaching a lot of greens comfortably anyway on a 7000yd course. I'd much rather have a nice fairway lie so I have a few options (and at least one good stat for the day)
  • 6200yd course: At 300yds I've probably cleared the majority of obstacles set up at standard driver length and, assuming I'm not in the trees or really thick rough, I do think it is an advantage to be able to use shorter clubs into greens (give me an 8/9/PW into the green any day, from most lies)

• SPY VIP

Let me jack your thread to add another option of sort to the mix: What about consistency?

These are exactly the type of questions we face as we process data for Most Wanted Testing.

Take for example this sampling of the 3 clubs. These are what I believe are clearly the best 3 performing clubs (for a single tester, within a 6 club (5+control) group). 

What you're looking at is a 90% confidence ellipse. The triangles represent the average distance/offline value for each club. The offline portion is a bit misleading (more on that if anyone cares), so use the ellipse as your accuracy guide and think of the triangle as your distance average.

Which of these area plots would you prefer?

plot-clean.PNG

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'm going to test this theory as soon as the weather gets nice.  My +3 handicap cousin, my 12 handicap friend, and myself will go out and play multiple balls from the fairway and rough on a 400yd par 4.  We will measure proximity to the hole and also test the old saying "drive for show, putt for dough".

Let me jack your thread to add another option of sort to the mix: What about consistency?

These are exactly the type of questions we face as we process data for Most Wanted Testing.

Take for example this sampling of the 3 clubs. These are what I believe are clearly the best 3 performing clubs (for a single tester, within a 6 club (5+control) group). 

What you're looking at is a 90% confidence ellipse. The triangles represent the average distance/offline value for each club. The offline portion is a bit misleading (more on that if anyone cares), so use the ellipse as your accuracy guide and think of the triangle as your distance average.

attachicon.gifplot-clean.PNG

I'd take the red, which is probably pretty accurate for me, offline wise.  I hit it long without being wildly inaccurate, 90%  of my missed FWs are in the first cut or within 3' of it.

Interesting - for me it'd be the brown(red?) plot. If I'm reading this correctly (and there is a chance that I'm wrong - it's happened once before ;) ) this looks like a 12yd variation (roughly) in distance which is not really that big. I'd much rather have a tighter sideways dispersion and looser length dispersion (even at the sacrifice of a bit of total length.

5 yards longer isn't worth an addition 10yds of left/right variance, I'm going with the red/brown circle. 

Now the real question come into play if you take the red circle and move it back to say 245-260yds and then ask the same question.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is all too complicated. I read in the rough not behind trees or traps or water or OB, in the rough means, in the rough. I can't even begin to read T's graph so I'm not going there.

I'm taking 50 extra yards from the rough, that's 4 clubs, 4, I can hit PW closer to the pin on average than 6 iron from almost any lie. How about 8 iron to 4 iron or hybrid?

I'll take 300 in the rough.

Now if we start saying that the rough may mean penalty shots or lots of steep lipped fairway traps or behind trees or it's an average that comes from being all over the place with no idea of what is going to happen next that's a different matter.

But that wasn't the question

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Unless the rough is ridiculously think I will take 300 all day, for either course, 50 yards is 50 yards, that's the difference between 5 iron and PW, I would rather hit pw out of the rough than have to rely on consistently striking the 5 iron all day.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Like Kev said....everyday rough, no trees or bushes.....I'll take the 50 yards anyday

Regarding T's graph...the red circle is the driver I'd choose to game.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I'll never hit it 300 yards, so I'd be happy with either result.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Exactly! see above

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Even on a 7400 yard course like Mirimichi, 250 yards in the fairway, will leave you less than 200 yards to the green on all but 3 holes. This does not count par 5's and 3's. But the deal is, on a course like Mirimichi, missing the fairway means you aren't going to likely hit the green on the next shot anyway. You very likely will not even find  the ball.

The longest par 4 is number 17 at 476 yards. No way, you will be going for that green from the 176 in the trees.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Like Rev and some of the others said earlier, give me the 300 any day as long as we aren't talking US open rough or trees, crazy bunkers, water, OB etc. This means I will have mostly pitch shots into greens on the 6200 yard course and rarely more than 8 or 9 iron on the 7k yard course. Not to mention that I will be getting to literally every par 5 green in 2. Hell some with mid and short irons on the 6200. That's preferable to me. Mostly because I bomb and gauge anyway unless the course was set up as I mentioned earlier.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Even on a 7400 yard course like Mirimichi, 250 yards in the fairway, will leave you less than 200 yards to the green on all but 3 holes. This does not count par 5's and 3's. But the deal is, on a course like Mirimichi, missing the fairway means you aren't going to likely hit the green on the next shot anyway. You very likely will not even find  the ball.

The longest par 4 is number 17 at 476 yards. No way, you will be going for that green from the 176 in the trees.

I would have taken 250 in the fairway all day there, sadly I had a s*** swing, after the first 9 we played.  At the same time, remember #1 on the last round; I hit one about 310 into the right rough, then hacked out a 9i to 15', not sure I would have done that from 60yds back in the fairway.  

I would have been fine there, if I was just missing into the rough, but I was hitting it 50yds offline out into the deep sh!t.

Figuring 10 yards per different iron increment, I'll take 5 clubs less all day, every day.

My answer like others may have been different had we more info on the type of rough and how deep it is.

I find the 6200 yard course often has a LOT of trees planted to protect it, so it depends if I have a shot or not at the green too. Tight tree lined course, you take the fairway all day long given the choice.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Figuring 10 yards per different iron increment, I'll take 5 clubs less all day, every day.

My answer like others may have been different had we more info on the type of rough and how deep it is.

I find the 6200 yard course often has a LOT of trees planted to protect it, so it depends if I have a shot or not at the green too. Tight tree lined course, you take the fairway all day long given the choice.

However, realistically, where would your time be better spent? Practicing long irons, or hybrids, or fm's so that you are just as likely to hit the green from say 180 as our are 130? Or trying to hit 300 yard drives?

While if wind and slope and ground conditions are right, I have occasionally reached 300 yards, I am not likely to achieve that on a regular basis. But I can practice long approaches.

However, realistically, where would your time be better spent? Practicing long irons, or hybrids, or fm's so that you are just as likely to hit the green from say 180 as our are 130? Or trying to hit 300 yard drives?

While if wind and slope and ground conditions are right, I have occasionally reached 300 yards, I am not likely to achieve that on a regular basis. But I can practice long approaches.

For the players who can consistently hit the ball 300 I don't think it requires much time to practice hitting it 300. I generally hit more mid irons and wedges on the range than anything. Not work on my driver. Unless I'm having a problem with it of course.

For the players who can consistently hit the ball 300 I don't think it requires much time to practice hitting it 300. I generally hit more mid irons and wedges on the range than anything. Not work on my driver. Unless I'm having a problem with it of course.

Of course you are right, I misspoke. Or typed.

What I meant that the longer clubs can be scoring clubs, and should be practiced with on the range. They are not just distance clubs.

What I meant that the longer clubs can be scoring clubs, and should be practiced with on the range. They are not just distance clubs.

Ah... I gotcha. Totally agree. You must always aim to a spot no matter the club. Otherwise you Will be great at hitting fairways and terrible at hitting greens.

The question says nothing about trees. It says, fairway or rough. It's a no brainer. I totally agree that once trees, hazards and ob are introduced the formula changes.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Watching the LPGA proves that distance is not important. I can out drive every one of them. But they'll beat me by 20 strokes every time.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

On an open course like one I'm thinking of in Abq., the "rough" is not all that rough. It's not a huge penalty on that course most of the time. However, most places I've played that's not the case. The answer is too dependant on the course to be definite across the board.

Tony's graph is interesting. The blue one is slightly wider offline. But more consistent length would give you a better chance to avoid hazards than one drive going 50 yards longer than the last. The red one is probably more realistic for me except it would favor the left side. I used to fade/slice all day long with a driver. That's a think of the past for me. I realized what I was doing and fixed it. Now I'm straight to slight draw with an occasional hook for a miss. Much more playable for me.

Every club is a distance club. The perentage of time you hit them the distance and direction you intended then determines whether they are a scoring club or not. Even for the top pros in the world, they will take the shorter club all day if able to. Even they don't refer to a 3 or 4i as a scoring club. They know the percentages.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Archived