Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2015 Titleist 916 MB Irons?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Here is a look at the Japanese version of the new 2015 Titleist T-MB Irons.  

Similar to the yet to be released Titleist 916 Performance MB's? 

What do you guys think of the new look?

tit-mb-2015.jpg

#TruthDigest

I like the look of those a lot. My first real set was a Titleist. I've grown fond of Mizunio stuff since then and my last 2 sets have been Mizunio. With that being said i've always kept my eye on the Titleist stuff and have just never liked it enough to pull a trigger. I'll be interested to see how these play.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

What do they mean by "performance MB"?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

"AP2 MB." If that's tungsten at the perimeter and bottom, they could be very interesting. Pretty limited market for something like this in the states. Will be surprised if we see them.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

"AP2 MB." If that's tungsten at the perimeter and bottom, they could be very interesting. Pretty limited market for something like this in the states. Will be surprised if we see them.

Yes, there is tungsten in the heel and toe area with a PVD finish sole.  These are not forged irons, and they have a hollow cavity with a composite material.  

I like the simple design, but I wished they had blended the sole into the iron a little better.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ahhhh.  This 916 MB.  Is this a departure from the Titleist tradition of numbering Drivers, metals and Hybrids 900 series, and Iron 700 series and wedges 200 series? They have gotten away from the 200 series with the Spin Mill or SM series. The latest being SM5's. But these irons should be 716 MB's or not?

Oh and I like the look.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I believe I read that these are supposed to be like a full set of the Titleist utility irons.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between utility irons and game improvement irons?

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between utility irons and game improvement irons?

From my observations, utility irons are geared towards the better player and the iron itself usually has less offset and looks a little cleaner. Plus, utility irons are usually available in the long iron lofts and are meant to serve as a hybrid replacement. Game improvement irons have more offset and are meant to be an iron. The thing is that a GI long iron can take on the role of a "utility iron" and many types of players can use it. As for the better player utility irons, although they are easier to hit than blades and player CB's, some can still be hard to hit and in those cases, a hybrid or GI iron may be beneficial. 

If I recall, Golfspy Theoo experimented with a PING G20 long iron and used it as a utility iron/hybrid replacement even though the club itself is not technically designed or marketed as a utility iron. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ahhhh.  This 916 MB.  Is this a departure from the Titleist tradition of numbering Drivers, metals and Hybrids 900 series, and Iron 700 series and wedges 200 series? They have gotten away from the 200 series with the Spin Mill or SM series. The latest being SM5's. But these irons should be 716 MB's or not?

Oh and I like the look.

I think the author just mislabeled the title of the first post,  looking at the picture of the iron, it says 716 on the hosel.  I'd love to see pics of 716 AP2's and CB's!

A friend of mine has a customer in Japan that owned a set of these. He usually hits the TM MC from 2012 and says that these are shockingly good. His 7 iron carry is about 165 and he says he gained about 5 yards per with these. He also said that the weighting definitely helped with forgiveness to the point where heel and toe hits only lost about 10 yards. He's a great ball striker and hovers between a 5-7 handicap so his results might not be indicative of everyone's but if you're in that range, these might be worth waiting for. He says he's definitely going to snag a set when they're released state side.

Anybody see the new mb protos at the Players? Look a lot like a Mizuno MP / 712 MB mash up.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I agree. They look significantly better than what's in the OP here..

I believe those are the full set of utility irons for the Japanese market, think Mizuno H-4 (5?). Dang Titleist, obviously Fila's plan is to copy the small Japanese company not known to the U.S. market, Mizuno. Irons are starting to look the same.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

image.jpg

Archived