Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf & Fitness

It seems like this is becoming a trend on tour, look at Rory and now the leaner Dufner. Is good fitness important to play your best or is it just a trend that'll fade?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Fitness never hurt anyone regardless of what you're doing. I could use more of it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

IMO, golf-specific fitness among amateurs is a fad that will fade over time but among the best players in the world, fitness is always going to be important.  Theyre always going to seek even the slightest advantage.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Fitness is important, but......

Over training trying to find an extra yard or two will be an issue.

I'm not much of a one for fitness, a couple of miles walking a day suffices for me.

Perhaps a few sessions on an exercise bike to get the heart pumping.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

At the local courses, it seems those in pretty good shape usually have better games.

But no one looks like they're working out constantly, exactly. Just active people. Staying "active" can do a lot. Just don't sit all day. 

I think these "teams" surrounding pro golfers are somewhat opportunistic hangers-ons. I think we have as many examples of injury and career tanking as we do workout success stories.

Craig Stadler lost a bunch of weight and he admitted his game suffered. Doesn't work for everyone.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Fitness never hurt anyone regardless of what you're doing. I could use more of it.

I'll drink to that.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Fitness is very important to the game if it is executed correctly. Most people don't utilize it in the right way to improve their game. It's not going anywhere for the best in the world. Sure their will always be outliers but that's in any sport. I'm not in as should be so I don't have room to judge but that may also explain why I am playing like crap right now.

For those who don't think fitness in golf is important, that means they don't understand physiology.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 2 months later...

Proper fitness is a good thing, regardless of the lifestyle or sport. Where it becomes a problem, and I think the fad nature of it, is when fitness becomes bulk and you have net losses in ability due to over-building.  I think a great example on tour right now is Camilo Villegas. When he first started playing on the tour, he was supremely fit, but not particularly over muscled. Then came 2012. He was absolutely ripped, his physical build crossed the line from fit, to overbuilt in some aspects, and the fluidity of motion was compromised because of it.  His game suffered for it. As 2013 rolled around, he seemed to scale back a little on the muscle bulk, and the form returned, for the most part, and his game has gotten better, but not really back to the level he played at in 2009-2010.

Then you look around at some of the other names that have really emphasized fitness in golf, Tiger has struggled with consistancy as he has added muscle mass (and I think it could be argued that much of his injury plagued couple of years can be tied to trying to overpower rather than finesse). Rory has added some bulk, but he seems to be working to find a happy medium.  I think we can watch the next couple of seasons to see if he goes too far as well.

And that is something that I think is a common thread.  Once you start hitting the gym, and you see results, it is EASY to get carried away, or unbalance your workouts, and even disrupt your balance by focusing too much on muscle mass without considering the other bits.  I go back to the early days of pro football starting to understand that there needs to be grace along with the power and the teams that started adding ballet, yoga and other forms of balance training to their workouts and the reactions from the press and people.  

So no, golf fitness probably isn't a fad that is going away anytime soon, but as always there is a tipping point where too much is, well, too much.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Happy medium is there somewhere. I think it was Darren Clarke who said he lost 20 pounds of fat and lost his game, so he went back to his old habits and his game recovered. Just because your fit doesn't mean you will automatically play better. IT can mean you can play more and at a consistent rate instead of tiring on the back 9. Just think everyone has their own sweet spot when it comes to fitness and how you use it to better yourself and your game.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived