Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Hardest Course You've Ever Played (in the U.S.)

Zeasy

Browsing through the US Open qualifying courses reminded me of a few tough courses I've played. Two of which are La Purisima G.C. in California and Ram Rock G.C. in Texas. 

La Purisima:

Yeah. There's a reason it is a US Open qualifier. Long 3 pars, narrow fairways, long rough, and a layout that demands shot making. Proof? The 3 par 9th, is 227 yards with water left and O.B. 3 yards off the right side of the green. The catch? Tall California trees force you to aim at the left side of the green (large slope headed to the water) and hit a cut, with how much club you take determining if you are laying up or going for the green. Regardless, a cut is required to stay in play.

Ram Rock G.C. 

Ram_Rock_Scorecard.png

Not much needs to be said about this. Other than I shot a 70 on this course (don't ask my average). Notable hole is 16, which I dubbed the "Round Breaker." 417 yards? That's easy. No! A forced cut into a wall of trees and OB with OB straight forces you to play a hybrid or 3 wood off the tee (depending on line, 3 wood is too much) this leaves you with 190 (tee shot is uphill) into a green protected by water on the front and right and a huge tree on the left side and part of the green known for kicking your ball into the trap beneath it. A shot from the bunker leaves you a nasty, slick down hill slope to the water. Good luck!

So these are two of mine. What do you have (must include scorecard)?

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

They had it shut down for Ryder Cup prep when I was there, but the asst pro took me in a cart around Hazeltine National. It's so big, it makes you feel dwarfed. By the numbers, its a beast and I'm not sure we have a harder course by par/slope in the state?

7,674 yards, 78.0/155. That's a LOT of course.

Of the courses locally that I have played, The Wilds in Prior Lake, MN is a pretty tough test.

7,012 yards, 74.4/154.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Well, I can't really decide what the toughest course I've played is, so I'll just go with the toughest holes. Each of those courses had holes that could be "had", but they also had some of the most diabolical.

The Donald Ross at French Lick, specifically holes 6, 13, & 15. It's not often you come across a course with TWO 250yd par 3s and a nearly 700yd par 5.

image.jpg

Mirimichi, hole #15. I have played this course 3 times and I'm +10 on it; its 453yds of pure hell. Last round there I took a 10 after losing a ball off the tee, then getting stuck in the greenside pot bunker. HATE that hole.

image.jpg

This is a cool thread. In my short 3 year golf career I haven't traveled much to play golf yet. Toughest courses I've played are local to me and probably not that difficult in the grand scheme of things but difficult enough for me. The first one is Rocky Gap Resort located in Cumberland, MD (NW part of the state). It's a Jack Nicklaus design. Turns out Jack and I don't get along very well. Very tight course with lots of elevation changes and some absolutely brutal approach shots. The second one that comes to mind is the Links at Gettysburg south of Gettysburg, PA.  High grass, clay bunkers, a fair amount of water, and some brutal undulation in the greens.

Rocky Gap Resort

rockygapscorecard.gif

Links at Gettysburg

linksatgettysburg.jpg

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Bethpage Black 2 days after the 2002 US Open. I have palmed some really hard courses but this on took the cake. I played from the Tees the pros played when I watched round 2 and there were 2 fairway in to the wind I barely reached. I hit the ball well all day and shot an 83 which I was pretty proud of.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I like this post as well. Be sure you indicate which tee you played from. And by the way... it's not a sin if you don't play the back tee. I sure as hell am not going to pay a hefty green fee to get beat up. I rarely play any tee beyond 6700'. And depending on the course/layout that might even be a little much. Ya know?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I typically play just in front of the tips, depending on the yardage.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I'm the guy that plays the tips "to get his money's worth." Dan, Bones, Rick and Theoo can attest to that.

I thought the hardest hole at Mirimichi was #9, but #15 is up there.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'm the guy that plays the tips "to get his money's worth." Dan, Bones, Rick and Theoo can attest to that.

I thought the hardest hole at Mirimichi was #9, but #15 is up there.

I always play the tips, because that's how I roll. I really don't remember 9. I remember 10, because I kicked it's a$$ and I remember 15, because it kicked my ass.

I always play the tips, because that's how I roll. I really don't remember 9. I remember 10, because I kicked it's a$$ and I remember 15, because it kicked my ass.

Russia was the hole that killed me. 300 yard drive to still have 300 in just demoralized me

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I was going to say Whistling Straits, but its got to be the River Course at Blackwolf Run.  That one 190 yd par 3 with that big oak tree between you and the green (from the tame white tees) where your only shot is a draw over the river or a punch layup (on a par 3) has got to be the toughest I have ever seen.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I was going to say Whistling Straits, but its got to be the River Course at Blackwolf Run.  That one 190 yd par 3 with that big oak tree between you and the green (from the tame white tees) where your only shot is a draw over the river or a punch layup (on a par 3) has got to be the toughest I have ever seen.

RevKev does have the game for that hole, however, and I'm sure he's played it many times and probably has done very well on it.  Love the draw, I wish I could.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I don't have a scorecard or even the name of the course, but it's in the KC area. Played a tournament with Golf Channel AmTour. The fairways looked like bowling alleys from the tips. And just off the fairways was forest. Not trees - thick thick forest. If you found the fairway, it was fine. Par or birdie were in the cards. But miss the fairway, just re-tee and hope not to have to re-tee it again.

I re-teed a lot that day.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Probably was Aberdeen in South Carolina. I don't remember much of it, but know it was tight and I could not hit a fairway all day. 

However, it was the site of my first eagle from 80 yards out so there is that.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I don't know if it's the hardest but the South Course at Los Serranos Golf Club is a very long course, 7628 from the tips, 7188 from blues, 6743 from whites and 6082 from the forward tees. I'm not a far hitter so playing from the blues multiple times wasn't smart. The final hole is a 677 par 5 from the tips, it's a long way to get there. 

The hardest I've played so far is at Treasure Lake in DuBois, PA. The Gold course...kicks my arse every time, especially the Par 3 17th, hill top to hill top, you better make the green cause it's a long way up from the bottom of the hill.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The numbers on this one are meager, but this course has kicked my ass repeatedly for over 30 years...I absolutely HATE it!  Every time I've ever played I left the course hating golf!  

Holden Hills in Jefferson, MA.  Only 72/126 and 6100 from the tips, but it's a torture chamber for me...

scorecard.jpg

map.jpg

course-aerial.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It's gotta be Hawktree, located just outside of Bismark, ND.  I played it about 10 years ago while visiting my Mother-in Law.  If you did not stay in the fairway, your ball was imediately lost.  The rough had prairie grass which was impossible to find your ball in.  I think I lost a dozen balls that day.  However, the golf experience was terrific.  The holes are in the Buttes with a black pebble like sand made from the by product of the coal fired power plants. My score that day was 103 with several Mulligans, of course.  If I ever go back, I will definitely try it again.

course209_full_full.jpg

Scorecard

Four sets of tees allow you to personalize your game; make your round as challenging or as relaxed as you wish. At Hawktree, we use your handicap along with our exclusive Yardage System to create an exceptional golfing experience for every level of player.  You give them your Handicap and they select the different Tees for you to play....(you don't play the same tee for all 18 holes)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hardest course I've played is La Cantera Palmer here in San Antonio. Arnold Palmer designed course, obviously.

I didn't hit one shot outside the tee box all day that wasn't above or below my feet. Slope rating of 142 or something like that. Totally adored the course though, even though my score looked more like a 1980 Denver Nuggets game.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Wine Valley Golf Club near Walla Walla Washington is one of the U.S. Open Local Qualifier courses.  This course has hosted several major amateur events.  The fairways are usually generous, but you do not want to miss any of them!  The greens are as fast as anything I have ever putter on, except for Torrey Pines in 2008 before the US Open, and they are quite undulating.  It's about 40 miles away and a fun course to play IF you play the correct set of tees.  I've shot a million and I shot 78, one shot worse than my pro!  As you can see from the photo of #5 par 4, there is not a single tree on the course.  

Oddly enough, my two toughest holes are this course are this #5, the hardest hole on the course, and #14 a par 3; the easiest hole on the course!  On #5 that is not sand that runs along the fairway and by the green; that's a "wash".  It cleaned my clock!  The green on #14 is probably the most difficult to putt that I have ever experienced anywhere.  

5-gc.jpg

14-gc.jpg

new-scorecard.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Mmmmmmmm     Wine Valley....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Mmmmmmmm     Wine Valley....

Eugene Country Club is a lot closer if you are thinking of local qualifying. :lol:

Yeah, Wine Valley and Palouse Ridge at WSU are two great tracks separated by only a couple of hours.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My hardest yet has come from Michigan. Arcadia Bluffs GC in Arcadia Michigan. Right on the Lake and brutal. Made the mistake of playing from the tips and hated life. Off the fairway a tad... oh you have a extremely awkward lie.

Scorecard.jpg

course.jpg

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

My hardest yet has come from Michigan. Arcadia Bluffs GC in Arcadia Michigan. Right on the Lake and brutal. Made the mistake of playing from the tips and hated life. Off the fairway a tad... oh you have a extremely awkward lie.

That fairway looks perfect... said the short straight hitter.  :)

Wine Valley Golf Club near Walla Walla Washington is one of the U.S. Open Local Qualifier courses.  This course has hosted several major amateur events.  The fairways are usually generous, but you do not want to miss any of them!  The greens are as fast as anything I have ever putter on, except for Torrey Pines in 2008 before the US Open, and they are quite undulating.  It's about 40 miles away and a fun course to play IF you play the correct set of tees.  I've shot a million and I shot 78, one shot worse than my pro!  As you can see from the photo of #5 par 4, there is not a single tree on the course.  

Oddly enough, my two toughest holes are this course are this #5, the hardest hole on the course, and #14 a par 3; the easiest hole on the course!  On #5 that is not sand that runs along the fairway and by the green; that's a "wash".  It cleaned my clock!  The green on #14 is probably the most difficult to putt that I have ever experienced anywhere.  

attachicon.gif5-gc.jpg

attachicon.gif14-gc.jpg

attachicon.gifnew-scorecard.jpg

Hey!  I get another shot at Wine Valley GC on Monday, all expenses paid, courtesy of my brother-in-law. However, there is no cart girl on Mondays.  :(    Weather is supposed to be 70 and sunshine!!!  

This is so easy - Bethpage Black before it's redo.  They should have just left it was is, not dressed it up - just let the guys have at it with the dirt tees, rock hard bunkers and approaches to the greens - if you missed a green it was going down, down, down into fescue.

I've played Arcadia Bluffs BTW - great course - very difficult.  I've also played Whistling Straits, that's a laugh riot too.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bethpage Black before the redesign was a beast and agree it was more conditions than layout. After the redo it is just brutal from any set of tees and playing it at the plaques is almost unfair. I would also put The Ocean Course from the tips and Philly Cricket Militia Hill from the tips on that list. For other reasons Merion and Aronimink would round out my top five.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Another vote for Kaiwah ocean course, if its a little windy your in for a long day...  in a close second, Teeth of a Dog and Ko'olau  ....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'll second the suggestion for Ko'olau, on the east side of Oahu.  Lots of forced carries, and off the fairway is generally a lost ball.  From what I've read, it stays pretty wet due to its location on the windward side of the mountains, so there's little to no roll.

I got to play the Tournament Course at PGA West no long ago, expecting it to be really tough, but thought it was demanding but fair.  It seemed like there was adequate room off the tee, some bail-out room for most shots, but the closer you got to the green, the more precise you needed to be.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia