Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lucky Breaks

Aotearoa_Brad

So we've probably all had a few lucky breaks over the years (whether we attribute them to luck or...erm... skill...). Luke Donald just had a pretty big break - what's your luckiest break you can recall on the course?

I had one exactly like that, but I sliced it onto a roof and bounced onto the fairway on a par 5.  Idiots for building houses that close to the course, IMO!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Two come to mind:

1.  Bladed a wedge over a green.  I was bent over, was saying some things that would cause me to have to do penance, preparing to throw the wedge before taking my drop (there was a pond beyond the green.)  The next thing I knew my partner was laughing and pointing at the green - my ball had hit the water fountain (one of those thin pipe deals to boot) behind the green, bounced back on to 20 feet.

2.  A few years back I was playing a match myself against my college room mates.  We had all the craziness going on that you've heard about in other threads - mulligans, call backs, throws all kinds of stuff and the payoff was drinks when we went to dinner at Bern's steakhouse - a very costly bet.  I had just been called back the hole before, piped my drive but half shanked my approach shot off a lanai, onto the green, two feet from the hole.  I then took a throw which I was able to roll into the hole for eagle!

I loved the two Johnny Walker blues at $40 a glass!!!!!!!! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We've all hit cart paths and gotten that lucky kick.   I pulled one doozy down in Mesquite at the Palmer course from an elevated tee to a long par 5.   It went well left and saw the first HUGE bounce and thought, "Well that's in the cactus."   Then we saw the second bounce hit the same concrete ribbon and the third and fourth and so on.   Then just as the cart path curved back into the fairway to cross it, it had a curb on the left side to keep carts from going into a ditch.  My ball slowed down just enough to start rolling in the gutter by the curb and sure enough, it shot out like a bobsled at the end of the chute back into the middle of the fairway, finally rolling to a rest about 400 yds from the tee.

I had a sand wedge to the green and three putted for a five.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Playing this year in the wind at my home club.  Par 3 6th and in a stiff left to right wind and I pull a 6 iron, start it at the left side of the green and the wind never hit it one bit.  Ball flies over the trap on the left and hits what we could only imagine was the cart path so I am just assuming the worst.  As we get up to the green there is a ball six inches from the cup that ended up being mine.  Best we could guess was the sound that we thought was the cart path was indeed the tree left of the bunker and it kicked the ball onto the green.

No worries though since the golf gods got the shot back on the back nine when I pured a 3 wood into a par 5 that a "sudden" gust of wind knocked down into the water on me.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Once I horribly ducked hooked a drive heading ob but then it hits a tree on the ob line and bounces back to the middle of the fairway.  It was crazy

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Years before I actually played golf, a buddy of mine wanted someone to ride along in his cart to drink beer with him.  I had nothing better to do that day and he was buying the beer, so I was good with that.

After a few beers, he got me to try playing and on a short par 3 I managed to get the ball off a tee and a few feet in the air.  I did manage to hit the ball solid enough that, since the ground was hard, it managed to continue rolling for what will likely be the only hole-in-one I'll ever make.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Years before I actually played golf, a buddy of mine wanted someone to ride along in his cart to drink beer with him.  I had nothing better to do that day and he was buying the beer, so I was good with that.

After a few beers, he got me to try playing and on a short par 3 I managed to get the ball off a tee and a few feet in the air.  I did manage to hit the ball solid enough that, since the ground was hard, it managed to continue rolling for what will likely be the only hole-in-one I'll ever make.

Now THAT is the definition of Beginner's Luck!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Now THAT is the definition of Beginner's Luck!!

Or Budweiser luck..........

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

I'll go the opposite because I can't think of any huge ones off the top of my head.

Probably one of the funniest was playing a course in PA. One hole was 215 yards dead up hill. I pulled it left, and was nearing the cart path.

A word about the cart path: It had to wind down the hill at least 4-5 times at 2-3 yards a pop, this was a long winding hill.

Somehow my ball managed to go all the way down this hill, and the only thing that stopped the ball from going past the tips was my buddy seeing a speeding ball down the cart path and foot saving in from going any farther. Had he not, it probably would have gone down as about a -25 yard shot without hitting a tree.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Not one I did, but one that happened against me.  Playing with my bro-in-law, he chunks his tee shot on a longish par 3 and puts it in the waste bunker 40 yds in front of the green.  I hit the green about 25' away or so.  He chunks his 2nd shot just farther up in the waste bunker, almost against the lip.  I'm thinking I've got the hole wrapped up.  He semi-blades his 3rd shot, it was maybe 2' off the ground and screaming over the green until it hit the flagstick dead center and dropped straight into the cup for par.  I three jacked for bogey.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Or Budweiser luck..........

If I recall correctly, I got a "Blue Ribbon" for that one - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

If I recall correctly, I got a "Blue Ribbon" for that one - lol

ok ok, but saying Pabst luck just didnt sound right......

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

So we've probably all had a few lucky breaks over the years (whether we attribute them to luck or...erm... skill...). Luke Donald just had a pretty big break - what's your luckiest break you can recall on the course?

A quick aside: How about this break that Luke Donald got at No. 13? #QuickHits https://t.co/24WBQmaDcP— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) March 2, 2015

He actually hit this same shot twice in this round.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived