Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best club toss

revkev

Seeing Rory's little escape today makes me wonder if any of us here have ever tossed a club.  'Fess up, what are some of your stories?

I'll start with my two favorites...

1.  I was in college and Had missed the green with SW after a perfect drive.  I sent that bad boy flying over a stream and into a tree - it never came down - may still be there for all I know (or care.)

2.  I was a young adult playing a very nice course and struggling.  I missed about a 2 footer and tossed, I mean pretty gently tossed, my putter towards my bag.  It went too far, slide down the back of the green and into an area that said, "Quick Sand, keep out!"  The last we saw it was going down for the count.

As a disclaimer I don't throw clubs anymore but when I was younger I was a champ.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was a champion club thrower back in the day. I even won a club throwing contest one time of course I had the poor club drilled out where it would be lighter. I threw and broke so many clubs that is how I learned to repair them. The last club I threw see the story I did on here a few moons back called "An Old Ping Putter Story" BTW I am not proud of the past but since you brought it up I had to be truthful because it is a mortal sin to lie to a "Man of the Cloth"

Rev when ever we get together I have enough old clubs we can have a throwing contest and I promise to you I will not cheat and use a drilled out lighter club

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 stories, hit a bad tee shot with my 3 wood, threw it straight ahead 30 yards right into the top of a tree, I had to climb the tree to get it down,

The other was a fluke, missed a short put on a very difficult par 3, I tossed the ball up in the air and hit it with the putter toward the 18 tee box, there is a line of big pine trees in the way,,and there was no one in front of us, the putter head snapped off at the hosel, and flew into the top of one of the pine trees and I never saw it again, that was 18 years ago, and it's probably still in the tree.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

2 stories, hit a bad tee shot with my 3 wood, threw it straight ahead 30 yards right into the top of a tree, I had to climb the tree to get it down,

The other was a fluke, missed a short put on a very difficult par 3, I tossed the ball up in the air and hit it with the putter toward the 18 tee box, there is a line of big pine trees in the way,,and there was no one in front of us, the putter head snapped off at the hosel, and flew into the top of one of the pine trees and I never saw it again, that was 18 years ago, and it's probably still in the tree.

I have done that before with a putter lol snapped right at the hosel. I did get the head back though.

I threw some clubs back in the day but my big flaw now is missing short puts, getting mad, and taking full swings that pick the ball off the green and line drive them into the woods. I'm thankfull that I've never scuffed a green doing this but who knows how long that will last. My playing partners are generally very impressed that the guy who just missed the four footer is coordinated enough to do this. It is my equivalent on club throwing.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have done that before with a putter lol snapped right at the hosel. I did get the head back though.

I threw some clubs back in the day but my big flaw now is missing short puts, getting mad, and taking full swings that pick the ball off the green and line drive them into the woods. I'm thankfull that I've never scuffed a green doing this but who knows how long that will last. My playing partners are generally very impressed that the guy who just missed the four footer is coordinated enough to do this. It is my equivalent on club throwing.

Dude Perfect has a video with Callaway where Jamie Sadlowski hits a putter 167 yards onto a green. Maybe try it on a par 3 next time?

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I threw a Great Big Bertha into a tree back when they were brand new and it was $400.   GBB's were the ONLY clubs that cost that much back then.  

Anyway, it went into this one tree and it did not come down.   The tree wasn't very big and I looked and I looked and I could not see it up in the branches.   I told the pro and greenskeeper who were my friends where I'd thrown it and they never found it.   I looked in that tree every time I replayed the hole and never found it. 

I STILL look in that tree today, 20 years later and I've never found it.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

duplicate deleted

Dude Perfect has a video with Callaway where Jamie Sadlowski hits a putter 167 yards onto a green. Maybe try it on a par 3 next time?

I actually watched that video today!! The shot from 250 with the 50% driver hitting the big cut was AMAZING.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have never thrown a club... Ever. Well, unless you count tossing. I don't count tossing. I always toss a club in the direction of my cart so I don't have to go far to retrieve it. I haven't even done that since last summer.

However, I was playing in a gangsome on day shortly after I started playing golf, and a guy on my team threw his driver in a tree and it stayed there. You could see it. So, he grabbed another club to throw it at the driver to knock it out. Yep! It stayed up there too. He paid a kid at the clubhouse $5 to climb the tree!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have never really thrown one of my clubs since I pay for them. I do "toss" clubs towards the cart occasionally when I'm around the greens.

I played in a scramble two years ago and my buddy topped a 3W. He then turned and flung it, hitting the roof support on the cart, snapping the club perfectly in the middle of the shaft. Fortunately, there was no shortage of beer to help him forget about it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Clubs are too expensive to throw like that. So never really tried.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Club throwing can be profitable to club repair guys and component manufacturers. I actually profited a couple of months ago from a club throwing incident. My pro at my home course is a good player but has a bad temper. He threw his Nike 003 down a cart path and according to witnesses it bounced 6 feet high several times. Gouged the sole and bent it in the hosel. The guys had it in the pro shop for laughs. I picked it up and looked at it and someone said it is bent yeah but it sits good for me. Someone else said yeah it would for you. Took it out on the putting green and was canning everything with it. The pro said put that damn thing in your bag and keep it. I took it home and fixed the sole with jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel somehow in it's little adventure down the cart path it did not hurt the milled face. Loh and behold about the same time I won MOM here on MGS and got a nice cover for it. Darn thing is good it displaced my old Zing 2 from the lineup so far. Named it "Old Joe" after the pro who owned it. Running joke around the club is that in the near future I may be getting a slightly scarred possibly bent Scotty Newport Select. Yep club throwing can be profitable for some of us!! I finally got smart in my old age and quit throwing them and got on the receiving end

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've got two other guy ones.

1. My friend Bob is a great guy. Up until a couple of years ago this was not true on the golf course and he was no where near as good as his temper suggested. He'd get so mad!!!!! Clubs always flew with Bob. One day he was rolling along and playing well when he sliced his three wood OB into a road and the club quickly followed. I rolled him a ball and said, "you should have hit the 4 anyway." (The 3 was gone for good in that road). So he hits it and the ball explodes. Good thing I was near the cart because he took off after me swinging that 4 wood. (Now he's a joy to play with and amazingly his game has improved with his temperament - a solid 10)

2. While I was on my internship I took a parishioners grandson out to play. He was on Cleveland State's golf team. Typical central Florida golf course, some elevation changed, lots and lots of water, gators and snakes. Not a great course for a long, wrong young guy with a Temper. On Number three he chose the wrong line over a pond, creamed the thing and it didn't carry. The club went flying over a fence into waste high reeds. He went to climb the fence and I can see a snake swimming in the water towards him. I wonder what he told his coach when he met up with the team in SC and didn't have his driver.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Undershooter's post reminded me of an incident with my old man. Now  he was very even tempered on the golf course I never heard or saw him throw or slam a club. He would get mad at himself that's all. One day on our 5th hole he missed a short birdie putt and they were playing for big money at the time. There was a lake by the hole and he tossed the ball up and was going to hit it like a baseball he hit the shaft right where it goes into the hosel and the head came off and went in the lake. That putter was given to him by his friend Billy Casper and he had putted with it for years. He offered anyone that could find that head $500 and that was big money in those days. The ball divers never found it. I was there when it happened and absolutely knew where it went in but no one ever found it. I was there when the course was closed and they drained and dredged the lake and could not find it. My Dad was too embarrassed to tell Mr Casper about what happened but he did buy several like it but none of them putted the same.  I saw Mr Casper about 5 years ago and he remembered me and said he had heard about the putter but not from my Dad said it shocked the heck out of him

G

I threw a Great Big Bertha into a tree back when they were brand new and it was $400. GBB's were the ONLY clubs that cost that much back then.

Anyway, it went into this one tree and it did not come down. The tree wasn't very big and I looked and I looked and I could not see it up in the branches. I told the pro and greenskeeper who were my friends where I'd thrown it and they never found it. I looked in that tree every time I replayed the hole and never found it.

I STILL look in that tree today, 20 years later and I've never found it.

I had a brand new GBB, first time I used it was in a scramble. It had been lightly raining and on the 12th hole, I slipped and hit one about 200yds out into the woods. I got mad and swung as hard as I could, when the club slipped out of my hands and wrapped around a tree right off the end of the tee box. That was obviously back when drivers came with steel shafts.

Bones I saw a guy one time take a 3 wood and hit the support on the golf cart with it and also that was in the steel shafted wood days. Those supports were heavy on those old Pargo carts back then it wrapped around the support and flew apart and the club head hit him in the chest with the head first luckily. If it had been the other way around with the broken shaft it would have been tragic

G

Few stories: 

I used to throw clubs, but now I do mostly in the general range of the cart with varying degrees of strength and anger.

My favorite was I went to whip a 9 iron to the cart (with way too much force and it stuck in my hand... It went about 20 yards and hit a tree dead in the middle of the shaft. I picked it up and looked a little bent. Went to take a practice shot with it, and the thing flapped to a 90 degree angle.

My friend is still fond of throwing clubs. We once played a course where you couldn't see over the trap. He's down there, while I'm up by the green. I hear thump and don't see anything. Another thump and nothing. A third and the ball comes out about 3 foot out of the bunker still in the rough. Then the greatest sound you can hear from a buddy. A giant F bomb followed by the wooosh woosh woosh as his wedge flies out of the bunker and lands 50 yards past the green.

I've also strength tested clubs over my knee... my 3 iron didn't pass. My buddy turned around during one round and saw my carrying my 3 irons and the grip that belonged to said 3 iron.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Here's a testament to why you shouldn't lose your temper on the golf course.   Two brothers got into a scuffle on a local Utah links today, and SWAT gets called.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33760300&nid=148&title=man-surrenders-to-swat-team-at-sandy-home-&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

I can't quite understand how other people could have been in the home who "weren't in danger", but SWAT was necessary.   In either event, you don't argue with Utah cops.   Already this year we're double our usual quota of homicides by police.  You don't walk away to second guess your actions.

Here's a testament to why you shouldn't lose your temper on the golf course.   Two brothers got into a scuffle on a local Utah links today, and SWAT gets called.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33760300&nid=148&title=man-surrenders-to-swat-team-at-sandy-home-&fm=home_page&s_cid=topstory

I can't quite understand how other people could have been in the home who "weren't in danger", but SWAT was necessary.   In either event, you don't argue with Utah cops.   Already this year we're double our usual quota of homicides by police.  You don't walk away to second guess your actions.

Had a real ******* playing in front of us years ago. He was with two kids and another guy and they were slow. I hit a crappy first shot  and went short on a par 3 on the back. My playing partner who I didn't know wanted to play through and (evidently)  went up to the guys on the green and told them were playing through (I didn't hear the exchange)...The guy in front of two kids and the adult was saying something loudly in my direction as I walked 100 yards behind my playing partner passed the green. I figured it was a joke or something so no worries.

My playing partner and I hit our tee shots in the fairway and as I'm addressing my ball I hear look out and a ball land nearby. Evidently, he was a single playing with two kids and their father and was P-ssed off. He hit over us again on the green, nearly landing it on top of my ball.

Get this, he calls the greenskeeper on us. After explaining the situation- and my playing partner getting a chewing for not asking but demanding to play through, he told us he'd kick the guy off the course. He didn't exactly take that lightly... and had to be forced off the course... by a state trooper on 17. He was banned from the course... which I found out because I talked to the greenskeeper  who looked at me and said What did you do and laughed when I told him the tale. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Although not a club, this should count and is a great story.

My friend Edgar bought online about 10 years ago, a new pair of golf shoes for our Myrtle Beach Trip. Never wore them or tried them on, just packed them and hit the road.

We got to the course, he put them on, and I was in his foursome, but not his cart. I guess they were a little tight.

We got to the 3rd hole, and he hit his tee shot into the water/swamp to the left. He started the "twirl" with the club and I thought he was going to throw it. He calmed down, sat the club down, sat on the ground, pulled both shoes off, and threw them into the gator infested swamp!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived