Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Season goals for 2015

Freaking duplicate

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

My goal is simple. Prepare myself to mentally make every shot my best.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well, I would go with shoot in the 60's, but I already did that on my second round this year.

So I'm going to go with shoot a bogey free round.

Never done it, so this year that is my goal!

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Well, I would go with shoot in the 60's, but I already did that on my second round this year.

So I'm going to go with shoot a bogey free round.

Never done it, so this year that is my goal!

I've done that 1 time, it was also the first time I ever shot even par. I was -4 stepping onto the 17th tee and finished double-double. That's technically a "bogey" free round, right? Lol

• 1 month later...

Going to add a new goal for myself this season and that is to win one of the tournaments in my flight. After seeing the scores that won yesterday I think I have a good shot at taking home a victory.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

One of my goals is to actually play...tendonitis is still happening in my right elbow and I can't grip a club.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

One of my goals is to actually play...tendonitis is still happening in my right elbow and I can't grip a club.

That sucks!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Have you seen any Dr's that work for a "Sports Clinic?"  The times I dislocated my shoulder and had bursitis in my left elbow, I initially went to a "regular" Dr and their plans centered around immobilization and "resting" the injury.  Went to the Sports Clinic and started rehab plans that day.

I think the mindset of a lot of traditional Dr's is that patients usually want meds and time off work,.. Sports Docs know you want to get active ASAP.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Have you seen any Dr's that work for a "Sports Clinic?"  The times I dislocated my shoulder and had bursitis in my left elbow, I initially went to a "regular" Dr and their plans centered around immobilization and "resting" the injury.  Went to the Sports Clinic and started rehab plans that day.

I think the mindset of a lot of traditional Dr's is that patients usually want meds and time off work,.. Sports Docs know you want to get active ASAP.

Totally concur.  Back in the day when I used to play a lot of basketball (4 to 5 times a week), I would frequently suffer overuse injuries and injuries in the course of play.  Lots of knee tendonitis, sore knee joints, sprained ankles and the elbow tendonitis (played golf and tennis too).  Even plantar fasciitis.  I discovered a sports rehab clinic started by a well-known doctor and they did the same thing.  How do we keep you in action or back in action as soon as possible.  Lots of therapies (physical, ice, ultrasound, massage, heat, etc), even cortisone shots if the issue proved to be chronic.  Highly recommend.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Totally concur.  Back in the day when I used to play a lot of basketball (4 to 5 times a week), I would frequently suffer overuse injuries and injuries in the course of play.  Lots of knee tendonitis, sore knee joints, sprained ankles and the elbow tendonitis (played golf and tennis too).  Even plantar fasciitis.  I discovered a sports rehab clinic started by a well-known doctor and they did the same thing.  How do we keep you in action or back in action as soon as possible.  Lots of therapies (physical, ice, ultrasound, massage, heat, etc), even cortisone shots if the issue proved to be chronic.  Highly recommend.

I went to physio for my shoulder last year having dislocated it 4 times in the past. It didn't do anything for me, but going to the chiropractor helped immensely. So, I'm not too trusting of PT from recent experience

I'm going to start my own routine and see if that helps any, including icing it down.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I went to physio for my shoulder last year having dislocated it 4 times in the past. It didn't do anything for me, but going to the chiropractor helped immensely. So, I'm not too trusting of PT from recent experience

I'm going to start my own routine and see if that helps any, including icing it down.

Same here. I went to a chiropractor for an elbow that would not bend from tendonitis. Litterally could not get it to go past 30 degrees, so I couldn't straighten my arm. My game suffered, but after a few quick visits, he had me back to 90 percent even playing hockey 3-4 times a week and also playing golf. 

Comes down to what works best for you, whether it's a chiropractor, PT, or regular doctor. I've heard great stories and horror stories from all of the above.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Being a new dad has put things into a different perspective for me already this season. First off, I do t get to practice much. With the wife unable to to drive I am constantly making sure things that require errands are taken care of. I might make the range once a month. Those trips are reserved for just trying to keep a solid swing in my head, not for experimenting with setup/grip of other goofy ideas. I still stretch beforehand, and work my way up from wedges to driver.

I've played maybe four or five rounds this year. The main goal for me this season is to not take myself too seriously. I find I do much better not trying to shoot my best score but to just manage the course. I play the same few courses often and I know where the ball should be each hole and just try to make that happen without caring how far it went. Of course I just bought a Game Golf system so all those things will be easier to track without actually having to think of them.

I think one thing I might do is get in touch with the Ledbetter facility in Round Rock and see what type of equipment they use and find out what the rates are for driver/fairway/hybrid shaft fittings. I've got the right shafts in my irons and wedges I feel, but I'm always tinkering with the top end of the bag.

Oh yea, priority one is spending time with the wife and baby. I'm hoping Keegan will grow up wanting to follow me out to the range of course like I did with my dad.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

• 6 months later...

Season goals:

1. Don't buy any more clubs now that I've been fitted for everything in the bag.

2. Break 80 and get my HCP down to single digits. Goal is 5.

3. Spend more time practicing my short game and putting.

Thought I would bump this thread to see if I lived up to my expectations.

1. I bought more clubs. I'm a ho. End of story.

2. I broke 80 five times which I'm really happy about. Didn't get my HCP down to 5 but got it to single digits at 9.5 so we'll chalk that up as a win.

3. I did spend significantly more time practicing my short game the last few months and it has definitely showed itself lately.

What say you guys? Quote your posts from the start of the season and let's see your assessments.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

We must be thinking alike today jbil. You can read my latest post... What's your plan man. 

I haven't given up entirely on meeting a 5 hcp but time is fading for the year. I'm looking ahead now to 2016.

You did a good job lowering your hcp though. I bet you go lower in '16.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Break 90 more consistently...how, by actually practicing.

Well, I broke 90 4 times at least this year, but I didn't practice at all...maybe next year.

In the bag:

Bag: 

Same as every year... have fun. If you don't have fun, getting better doesn't really matter. Having said that, I need to practice putting a lot more... so I can score better...lol.

Mission accomplished. I had a lot of fun and I shot in the 70's a few times this year. Putting could still use a lot of improvement but, it was better than the year before.

My goal for the 2016 season is to make it all the way to the first snowfall without my dog biting half of my hand off.

Now that I know that if I crush her pill between a couple of slices of Genoa salami, she'll take it without crippling me, I ought to make it.

My realistic goal for this season is to win the championship flight of a tournament. My real goal however is to get to scratch at some point this season. I always play the tips when its warm and I had a point where I didn't shoot higher than 79 for a couple of months last year but never got there (somewhere between 1 and 2 was my low). Hopefully more practice will get me closer.

Well I guess I came close. I tied for first in a championship flight but lost in a scorecard playoff bc they changed it up from how they usually do the tiebreaker. I also got my handicap positive even if it was just for a short time. Currently it's .4 does that count as scratch???

According to my post, the short answer is NO. I'm still struggling with putting. I Think it's more in my head right now, but it's still no good

Do you read greens poorly or is it purely the stroke?

Have you ever read the book "Zen Golf" or "Zen Putting?"

Downloading this now. Oops its done. I will read it now. (About 8 months after you suggested it.) Thanks.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Do you read greens poorly or is it purely the stroke?

It's really the stroke more than anything, I read the greens pretty well, I just don't strike the ball correctly. I think at this point it is in my head, I really don't putt horrible, I just don't putt very good. Last round I played I had 6 putts for birdie that were 18 feet or closer, a couple inside 6 feet, and I didn't make any of them, in fact I 3 putted two of them. On the back nine I had birdie putts on 10, 11, 12, all from about 15 feet, and I left hole 12 with 2 bogeys and 1 par. So instead of being even or even 1 under on the back, I 3 putted 2 times, and 2 putted once, I shot. 88, throughout the round I dropped 5 or so shots on the green.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

It's really the stroke more than anything, I read the greens pretty well, I just don't strike the ball correctly. I think at this point it is in my head, I really don't putt horrible, I just don't putt very good. Last round I played I had 6 putts for birdie that were 18 feet or closer, a couple inside 6 feet, and I didn't make any of them, in fact I 3 putted two of them. On the back nine I had birdie putts on 10, 11, 12, all from about 15 feet, and I left hole 12 with 2 bogeys and 1 par. So instead of being even or even 1 under on the back, I 3 putted 2 times, and 2 putted once, I shot. 88, throughout the round I dropped 5 or so shots on the green.

I think I'm in the same boat as you. Your description of your "problem" fits me to a tee.

Interesting... Do you have a pro that you could talk to about it?

Have you read Dave Stockton's book? If it's a mental thing, it might be worth a shot.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Archived