Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

What is your unluckiest break on the golf course?

JBones

On this Friday the 13th, the PGA asks "what is your unluckiest break on the golf course". 

Mine would have to be in the city tournament a few years ago.  I got off to a rough start (bogied the first 3), then there was an hour long rain delay.  I came back out, parred the 4th, then went birdie-birdie to get back to +1.  I was in a groove on the par 5 7th; I decided to lay up to the left side of the fairway, 75yds out, due to a pin tucked behind a nasty bunker.  I hit a great shot that hopped once, ricocheted off the flag and spun right into the nasty bunker I was trying to avoid.  It took two shots to get out of the bunker and two putts later, I had a double bogey that I never recovered from, on my way to an opening round 81.  So lets have it.  What is your unluckiest break on a golf course?[/url]

Par 3, 9th Island green, hit a high towering shot right at the flag, it came down right on top of the flag, and shot straight back towards me and rolled into the water. We thought it would be a hole-in-one, but dropped 3 and made 4. With out hitting the flag I would have had a tap-in at worst.

However, I hit a BBQ grill on the back porch of a house near the golf course and it ended up back in the fairway, so I am sure I have had more lucky breaks than unlucky breaks.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Played a course in OK that had a par 3 with a large tree overhanging the right side of the green.

Out of bounds right and probably 40 feet from the green. Cart path on that side of the green.

Hit a shot that was just at the edge of the tree overhang.

Hit one of three 1 inch branches and the ball was knocked straight right onto the path, three path bounces later I was out of bounds right.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

Too many to recount......UGH!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My worst one that I can remember happened in a Mini Tour event probably 30 years ago in North Carolina. I was leading the overall tournament on the last day with 3 holes to go. Now I had started 4 shots off the lead and I was playing aggressively as was my form in those days. Had shot 31 on the front and was -3 on the back 3 up with 3 to play. This was a little par 3 over the water about 130 yards or so big green no brainer right? All I really needed to do was hit the green and 2 putt get a par and go from there. No I had to fire at the flag yep I did just that hit the stick and bounced back into the water. No drop area in those days had to retee and then hit the center of the green. Had a bad temper in those days so I was ticked. I was so ticked that I three jacked the green for a 6. Next hole still ticked par 5 I rope hooked it OB took a 7. That ended it for me ended up in 4th. If I had finished up 1 over on those last 3 holes I still could have won 2 over would have gotten me in a playoff. Someone said to my Dad that I had folded up like a cheap lawn chair he said no that I had gotten over aggressive by not using my brain and then had gotten mad and blown the tournament. Damn was he ticked at me because he had bet a lot of money on me. Never did get in a position to win again like that even though I had quite a few top 5 finishes

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Worst break?  I once hit a shot into a tree that was greenside and it got stuck in the v between a few branches at the stump or whatever the heart of the tree is called. Could see it... just couldn't get to it.  That ball stayed there for a long time until the rain or something finally washed it out so I got to relive that one every time I played the hole for that long time...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I was playing with some buddies many years ago in Naples, FL during the summer. Absolutely beautiful course with not many houses on it... yet. At the time I was... er... not good, but I was having the best round ever. Along comes one of those afternoon summer T-storms and the marshal comes out and says the course is closed for the day. Got a rain check but the round was GONE. I went back a few years later and the course was filled with houses and it turned private, so never got a chance to play it again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On a very long par five, I sliced my drive way right, then hit an amazing recovery punch shot under the trees right in the middle of the fairway.  I hit my little 9 iron knock down punch fade type shot and hit it perfect, well what do you know, It bounces once, looks like it is going to check and drop right into the hole but one hops the flag and rolls off the front of the green.

I have also hit many of those horribly placed greenside sprinkler heads that turned shots from being within 5 feet of the hole to 80 feet. 

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Worst break? Most were the results of marginal shots so that's not really a break, is it? Countless divots in the middle of the fairway, a few hit pins where the ball came off the green into some tough spot, a hit sprinkler or rake on rare occasions but it's golf, the so called good breaks and bad breaks even out. If anything I'm way on the side of good. I've hit countless approach shots where the goal was to hole out, I didn't and yet I was still in good to great shape after my miss.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...

had to hit from a crater of a divot someone didn't replace into a green that I needed to fly the ball. Ended up crushing it dead into a bunker, from there it was business as usual, but my good drive was not rewarded.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived