Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

T-Mag R15 adaptor/shaft issue

Let me start by apologizing- I bought a R15 460cc- Sorry! (Hands up for protection).

Couldn't pass it up, hit it better than my 913 D2 and got it DIRT cheap.

Unfortunately I didn't hit them outside, but I hit both at Golfsmith (not a typo) same monitor no adjustments made to conditions- hit 4 with one then 4 with the other two rounds.

Driver 1: R15 460cc 9.5* weights set apart for stability- Speeder57 Evolution Stiff 

Driver 2: 913 D2 8.5* set to 9.25* Diamana 72+ Stiff.

Monitor showed

R15: SS 114 (fastest 122), Launch was avg 12.2, Spin ~ 1500, Carry 288 yards, total 309 yards. Left of target line (big pull)

913D2: Ss 113 (fastest 120), Launch 15.4, Spin ~ 2900, Carry 266 yards, Total 278 yards. Left of target line.

Questions:

1. Both had stiff shafts do these distances/ numbers make sense? Granted the distance i got off the Titleist were similar to what I've seen on the course.

2. I can get a free Kiyoshi black 65- 5 (x-stiff) from a friend, that has a SLDR tip on it- would it be beneficial to use that in place of the Speeder? It has loft markings +/- 1.5, the speeder adapter has +/- 2*.

**Side note I was hitting a Fubuki ZT 70 Xstiff during the summer & warmer months in the Titleist - which I loved, but didn't work in the cold.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Let's see, you gained 31 yards and you are wanting to change shafts to see if it would be beneficial?

You are getting incredibly low spin with that set up. Low spin, left pull, low launch angle, before you try a new shaft you may want to look at trying to move the ball up a fraction of an inch and get a steeper angle of approach on the ball. This may solve all your dislikes.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Sounds like an odd request I know. Just wondering if the x would help eliminate the left.

I would rather hit it with control then distance. But guess I should spend more time on the course before jumping the gun.

My Mixed-Bag:

IMHO there is a lot of difference in hitting in a golf store simulator and on the range. For me I actually have to play a few practice rounds on a course to see if a particular club meets my needs. I would suggest playing with it a few rounds before making any changes at all and then go from there. Good example for me. I bought 3 new Wishon PCF wedge heads in January. I built them up spec for me and practiced with them on the range Found out after a few rounds that they did not work exactly like I wanted. Went back to the drawing board made shaft changes and I am still getting them dialed in for me. Love the way the wedges sit and they are a quality product but I just cant quite get the "balance" on them for me yet. Still working on them. trying to get them to feel and hit like my old 588s or Scratch wedges which are non conforming. But I will eventually get them to my feel. Sometimes just got to work harder

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thats was my inclination about indoor vs course. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I couldn't find much info on the Oban black other than it being for aggressive swings. I saw the review on here but my question was what swing speed range does it best fit? Friend just offered it due to 110+ ss

My Mixed-Bag:

A lot depends on how it is prepared in other words how much it is tipped. Swing speed does have a lot to do with it and flex point has a lot to do with the overall performance with an individual's swing etc. It is hard to fit someone up or really give sound advice over the computer. I always stress going to a good fitter and have things checked and shafts matched to your game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The Black is a good shaft for people with faster tempos not necessarily for faster SS. I would try adding loft to the head and moving to weight to the Toe to try and eliminate the low left miss. That spin rate is to low for that launch angle.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Well went out today in this fine rainy/soggy Saturday in the pacific northwest.

Club set to 9.5 and weights spread.

Was getting a straight draw and able to play a fade- 2 pulls/ hooks- flight was on the low end for sure. All contact was about 1/2 dollar spread about the center of the face mostly higher on the face. Distance avg 279 (already farther than 913D2) little roll in the wet grass- couple plugged in the boggy conditions.

Will try adjusting loft and weights to get more height. I use midsize grips in all irons this still has a standard grip, how would that contribute?

If it matters. Swing is 45 past vertical with a late release- what Ive been told by a pro I saw in February.

Avg ardages with irons: Mizunos mp 52 2* up

5:197 6:185 7:176 8:164 9:154 PW:146

Divots are about 1/2-1" after ball.

My Mixed-Bag:

Try setting the head to 10.5 I am pretty sure you will be much happier with the flight.

Snell MTB-X

Your swing speed seems to suggest you would need something in the X-flex category IMO for help with dispersion (and the dreaded left). The 57 Speeder is quite light and flexible for the R15 and the high SS might be directly attributed to this.

What is interesting is the difference in launch and spin - this seems to suggest you have a steep negative angle of attack on the ball which works against you with the lower lofted (and open faced) Titleist.

It's certainly worth trying the X-flex in the R15 head and increasing the loft a tad (10.5) for more consistent (and straighter) results.

Love the feeling of this R15, but got to give negative marks for tmags adapter. At least titleist gives you a manual that explains the adaptor changes. I think knowing the light shaft was in there I have tried to mitigate going to fast.

Well met with a pro in February who put me on trackman and we were able to get to a -1* to +1* attack angle with Driver.

I was using a 70s instead of the 70xflex because I felt I REALLY had to go after it because it was xflex- helped smooth it out though spin # increased a hair I didn't mind- care more about accuracy than diatance. With the Titleist D2 I was averaging 114mph on trackman with the x I was going closer to 124mph (longer back swing too).

My Mixed-Bag:

Well went out today with it set to 10.5 and with the Oban black 65x and... WOW big difference. Felt stable throughout the swing carry increased and so did distance. Will look at changing to a midsize grip- felt i had a bit of death grip because it was narrower than what i am use to and had to remind myself to relax that. 

BIG thanks for everyone's input and as many have stated and the website itself nothing will beat getting fitted. For now this works for me, but the Pro i see also has a fitting option I will touch base with.

Attached a picture of the driver face with the Oban :D!

20150316_133501.jpg

My Mixed-Bag:

Well went out today with it set to 10.5 and with the Oban black 65x and... WOW big difference. Felt stable throughout the swing carry increased and so did distance. Will look at changing to a midsize grip- felt i had a bit of death grip because it was narrower than what i am use to and had to remind myself to relax that. 

BIG thanks for everyone's input and as many have stated and the website itself nothing will beat getting fitted. For now this works for me, but the Pro i see also has a fitting option I will touch base with.

That my friend is great ball striking!!

G

Just a quick update. Spoke with tmag online with one of their fitters. Relayed the #s and observed ball flight outside. They were surprised I was allowed to walk out the door with the set up I did. And without hitting the 430TP or an x- flex at the least. Good thing I have 30 days to return the driver and swap it out for a better set up.

They offered a comp visit/ fitting in their performance lab in California. That was pretty cool. Will look to take advantage of that in May:D

My Mixed-Bag:

Sounds like you need to make a trip down here and get a free fitting. The Kingdom is awesome!!

Snell MTB-X

I got the 10.5 460cc with the speeder 661 tour spec Stiff. Technically the 460 cc TP. Weights not quite seperated. I was hitting that today about 278 carry. launch was high going up like a flat trajectory but high with a slight draw. No rollout. Some of the tee shots ended a foot behind the ball mark. No broken tees a couple flew forward. Center to just above center contact.

Will be meeting with a forward to really nail down the set up and try to determine if I'm hitting down.

@KCLeo12 that would be awesome! What city are you located in? I have to do the wedding circuit down there haha.

My Mixed-Bag:

Meant I'll meet with a fitter. Thanks autocorrec

My Mixed-Bag:

I got the 10.5 460cc with the speeder 661 tour spec Stiff. Technically the 460 cc TP. Weights not quite seperated. I was hitting that today about 278 carry. launch was high going up like a flat trajectory but high with a slight draw. No rollout. Some of the tee shots ended a foot behind the ball mark. No broken tees a couple flew forward. Center to just above center contact.

Will be meeting with a forward to really nail down the set up and try to determine if I'm hitting down.

@KCLeo12 that would be awesome! What city are you located in? I have to do the wedding circuit down there haha.

San Diego, Linda Vista area. About 30 minutes from the Kingdom

Snell MTB-X

Archived