TESTERS WANTED! ×

RedFox Audio Review & Music on The Course Poll

GolfSpy Dave

Music on the Course  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion about music on the golf course?

• No music at all.
    • Headphones on the range only.
    • Bring it on. I need tunes on the range, the course, and all other parts of my life.
    • I can go either way on a given day or round.
    • Not sure. Not sure at all...

• SPY VIP

Listen, to the sound of Silence?
Golf is a game of silence, until it's not. What do I mean by that? Come on, you don't really need to ask that. We have all had our quiet walks spoiled by an errantly stroked F-Bomb. Walking on grass, and striking the ball really don't make much noise. We need people for that. OK, so maybe airplanes and lawnmowers too, but I think that with the exception of drones and the soon to be released golf-Roomba, those machines rely on people for their noise as well.

Musical Interludes on the Course
In recent years, technological advances have made it possible for golfers to enjoy music on the practice range, as well as on the course itself. Not that this is a new concept. I don't need to remind you that the second coolest thing in Al Czervik's golf bag was the car stereo.

caddyshack.jpg

Now we can bring that course-dancing dream to life through the magic of smartphones and Bluetooth audio devices. You can even do it without making your bag so heavy that only D'Annunzio could carry it. Today's portable audio is small, light, and loud.

We will return to the question of how such audio devices could change the golf landscape in a bit, but first, let's check out a couple of Bluetooth audio goodies from RedFox Wireless.

DSC_0002.jpg

On the Range: RedFox EDGE Wireless Headset
Personally, wearing headphones on the driving range or practice putting green has become almost a requirement. Nothing jacks up my range session more than hearing the guy in the next stall give swing advice to his buddy. The advice may even be of quality, but that doesn't matter. As soon as I hear a “tip” my brain seems to zero in on that idea, especially if it's something that I too have an issue with.

DSC_0031.jpg

Since we live in a polite society, I don't really feel comfortable about telling this pseudo-Haney to drop the volume. Thus headphones. The wired iPhone headphones work in a pinch, but running the cord under my shirt and keeping the phone in the pocket are a bit irritating. All hail wireless.

For the past year or so, I have used a pair of Motorola Bluetooth headphones on the range. They are OK, but the charge seems to go in a hurry, and I frequently forget to charge them. Operator error. They are also a bit annoying to put on, as they need to individually loop over the ear and insert into the ear canal to hold in place. Plus, there is no microphone, so if a call comes in I need to un-pair them to answer the phone.

DSC_0030.jpg

For the past few weeks, I have been using the RedFox Wireless EDGE headphones instead. Here are the specs on the EDGE
·      Built-in microphone
·      Controls for music and phone
·      Bluetooth V2.1+EDR with AD2P & ACVRP
·      5-8 hours of continuous use - 1 hour re-charge time
·      Li-Ion 3.7V, 150mAH rechargeable battery
·      Use With: iPod, iPhones, Android, Smartphones, PC, Tablets and Bluetooth TVs
·      USB to mini-USB charger included
·      Limited One-year Warranty
·      Price: $119.99

My Takes on the EDGE
Ease of Use
Hold down the power button to turn these on or off. The lights flash to let you know that the headphones are on and also to indicate that pairing was successful. Simple.

DSC_0037.jpg

Audio controls are on the arms near the ears and are easy to access. Button pressing is a little stiffer than I expected, but not so stiff that you would need two hands for adjustment. The controls on the EDGE integrated immediately and perfectly with my iPhone 6.

Turn them on, and press play. That's it. Easy.

Sound Quality

DSC_0036.jpg

I was surprised by a couple of things with these headphones. First, the sound is very clear, from the highs to the lows. Now I'm not typically looking for teeth-vibrating madness on the range, but there is nothing worse than a small speaker missing the lows. These sound complete.

The EDGE headphones do an excellent job of blocking out ambient noise as well. I was not expecting this. I thought that the design would be prone to lots of environmental leakage. Not so. You put these on, and you hear your music, even at relatively low volumes.

Speaking of volume, these headphones can go LOUD. Was totally surprised at just how much they could be pumped up. Turn these up to 11 and you'll have nothing but your tunes, and eventual tinnitus, sharing the range with you. I'm only kind of joking about the tinnitus. You need to be careful with the volume of these, or any headphones. Trust the old guy with the ringing ears…

Comfort
These are so easy to take on and off. A huge improvement over my previous wireless headphones. If you do need to take them off, they will rest comfortably around your neck until you need them again.

The EDGE will fit your head in a hook-up, or hook-down orientation. Put them on, and then flip them over to see which position is more comfortable. I like the over-the-ear, hook-down orientation. They just fit a bit snugger that way.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

When I first put these on, I was concerned about the part that wraps around the neck interfering with the collar on my shirt. Groundless concern there. Never an issue, even when swinging the club. Flipped over, there is a bit more interaction, and the fit seems less snug on the head.

They are definitely comfortable enough to wear for a couple of hours on the range. After a long session, my ears did feel a bit sore, but that sensation vanished before I made it back to the car.

Battery
Super fast charging, and the charge holds when not in use. I have not timed the total play time on these, but I've used them for a few sessions between charges with no issues. Since I've only used them for a few weeks, I can't really comment on overall battery longevity. So far though I'd definitely say that these hold the charge better than the Motorola wireless headphones that I have used for the past few years.

Sound to Share: The RedFox FoxBox

DSC_0009.jpg

This is where we get a bit more controversial on the sound front. Most golfers won't even look twice at someone wearing headphones on the range, but playing music on the course is a whole different thing. Polarizing is one word that comes to mind.

I think that we are looking at one of the transition points for golf from the old model to the new model. A round in historical silence and one punctuated by Korn are two very different animals.

Let's put aside the debate for a moment and assume that we are all in the pro-music camp. The question then turns from should we play music to how do we play music? Again, we turn to the magic of wireless audio.

When I was researching Bluetooth speakers, I quickly learned that the product pool was deep and wide. Pricing is all over the place, as are features. This caused me to come up with some key features that I really wanted to be present in any portable speaker that I was to use on the course.

Right after its tech specs, we'll see how today's speaker, RedFox's FoxBox answers those questions.

Technical Specifications: RedFox FoxBox
·      FoxBox Specifications
Bluetooth Protocol Version 2.1 + EDR
·      Bluetooth Range 10m
·      Speaker Unit 40mm*2 anti-magnetism
·      Output Power 3W
·      Impedance 4Ω
·      Frequency 20Hz to 20kHz
·      Signal/noise ratio >80dB
·      THD
·      Battery 2200mAh Re-chargeable Lithium
·      Dimensions 122*60*47mm
·      Weight 250g
·      Working Period up to 20 hours
Patented, CE,FCC,ROHS,BQBCertified
Built in Microphone, hands free phone calls, great for conference calls in the office, or partying with friends
·      Touch screen buttons on the speaker top
·      • Volume + button: Volume up (long press)/previous song (short press)
·      • Volume – button: Volume down (long press)/Next song (short press)
·      • Phone button: When a call comes in, press to answer phone, when playing music, press to play/pause audio
Plenty of volume to enjoy outdoors, quality sound, great for hands free speaker phone at home or in the office.

Question 1: Is it small?
It's an obvious question, but like in inseams, size really does matter. I don't want to be trucking a big Cerwin Vega CS-150 around the golf course. The speaker needs to fit in the bag, and ideally somewhere on my cart.

The FoxBox size is right in the usable ballpark. Take a look at it compared to my iPhone 6. Not too large, not too small.
DSC_0016.jpg

The FoxBox fits within the console of my Clicgear 3.5+, though the audio was better when it was in the cargo net.

IMG_6359.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

Question 2: Is it easy to use?
I have little patience for sloppy tech. Be it app or hardware, if the operation is clunky, I'm not going to use it.

DSC_0006.jpg

This is definitely a high point for the FoxBox. It works without a frustration in sight. Pairing is quick. Audio control from the phone, or from the unit itself is spot on. Charging is easy from any USB port.

I know I'm not really giving you much info here, but that's really the highest praise for the unit I can give. Operation is so seamless that it's not really worth discussing it. It just works.

Cool Feature Sidebar:

DSC_0012.jpg

One feature that is pretty unique to the FoxBox is the inclusion of a micro-SD slot. If you are worried about using your phone for music, just dump a bunch of songs on the SD card and the FoxBox becomes a solo act. You can probably store enough songs on the SD card to cover your whole season, let alone a single round.

Question 3: How does it sound?
This is probably the most subjective of the topics for any speaker. You think that golfers can get heated when they discuss gear? Take a stroll over to any audio equipment forum and you will find polarized camps full of speaker company homers. Ear of the beholder...

The FoxBox is not going to replace your home stereo system. It's a small speaker and with that comes limitations. Typically, these limitations are at the low end of the sound range. There's a reason that the woofers in the back of your car are 22” in diameter. You'll not have the car that goes boom with tiny speakers.

I was actually surprised by the bass in the FoxBox when I fired it up for the first time. I picked up a different, and larger, Bluetooth speaker back in December and the FoxBox's lows definitely sound better. You are not going to rattle the trunk box with it, but at least it doesn't sound like something is missing in the song.

Volume is also somewhat limited, but again, it's a small speaker. I'm not sure how loud you really need a speaker to be on the course anyway. For me, the ideal volume seemed to be relatively low. I liked hearing it when I pushed my cart between shots. When I stepped away from the cart in between shots, I didn't really hear it at all. It was a nice balance.

It will get louder, and I am not sure that I am a loud music on the course guy. When I played with Tim last week, I fired up the FoxBox for our round. I turned it off on the second hole, not because the music was taking something away from golf, but rather because it was interrupting my time with Tim.

Again, the pro vs. con debate of on-course music has multiple components.

Anyway, the sound quality and the volume range of the FoxBox are both pretty good for a small speaker. Just keep that small speaker trait in mind as you turn it up. If you really need your golf cart turned into a house party, you may want to look into something more powerful/larger.

Music: Golf's Next Frontier?
I get the feeling that music on the golf course is here to stay. Many courses already have speakers in the cart, and places like Top Golf may actually condition people to play with music in the background.

IMG_6355.jpg

If you are thinking about adding music to your game, the technology has never been better. No longer do you need a single wire to get that done. We have such great toys these days.
There are lots of headphone and speaker options out there; so many that buying anything can be overwhelming. I had never heard of RedFox before I got started with the EDGE and the FoxBox, but after using them, I'm impressed.

I'm still not sure how I feel about music on the course, but the EDGE headphones are now a part of every range session, and the FoxBox has supplied music for more than one kitchen family dance party. Good stuff.

What do you think? Music or Silence?
I know that you all have opinions about music on the course. Let's hear them. Do you use headphones on the range? Do you bump NWA while you stare down that 3-footer? Who doesn't like bombing a drive with Flight of the Valkyries playing in the background? Chime in!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I'm not sure. I don't have a problem with music at the range at all. I'm not sure I would care for it while actually playing, though. If someone wanted to have music on the course, It wouldn't really bother me as long as it was at an acceptable volume. I just don't think I would prefer to have it playing while I'm playing...lol. To me, it would be a distraction from concentrating on the game.

I'd love some headphones for the range. All the bluetooth options have I seen were too expensive to justify. These may be the answer.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I like music while I play and on the range. If someone else doesn't want it on then I won't have it, otherwise it stays on. It doesn't bother me regardless but for me it's less distracting having some slight constant noise compared to complete silence and then a noise in my backdating or mid putt. Both of which have happened recently....

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I play my Bose Sound link all the time....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Music everywhere on the course for me.  I opted for the 6x9's in the cart over portable bluetooth.  There is a headphone jack in the glove compartment cubby and I got a little bluetooth adapter so my phone plays wirelessly.

IMG_1502.JPG

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Music everywhere on the course for me.  I opted for the 6x9's in the cart over portable bluetooth.  There is a headphone jack in the glove compartment cubby and I got a little bluetooth adapter so my phone plays wirelessly.

attachicon.gifIMG_1502.JPG

NO music

"The man is a menace! Cut that off! Music is a violation of our personal privacy! He's breaking the law!"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

NO music

"The man is a menace! Cut that off! Music is a violation of our personal privacy! He's breaking the law!"

No, music!! 😇

Not a big fan of it.  Maybe I will have to learn to deal with it but it screws up my tempo.  Or that one song that gets "stuck in your head".  Maybe if I had Nicklaus-like focus that wouldn't be an issue but there's a reason I am playing where I play on the weekends and not on tour.

Sometimes it messes with my state of mind.  Play one of my late wife's favorite songs?  Not really someplace I want my mind to go during a round.  Nothing people would realize, I know. 

In the end, I usually just try to deal with it.  I mean, who want's to be "that" guy who complains about it?

Thinking about it more, I actually despise it.  When you play music on the course in my group you make me decide between being seen as a jerk or dealing with  a distraction.  Its not like I came over to your house to play golf.   Maybe I should buy my own set-up and play political speeches or a book on tape.  Or maybe I should just see if I can buy a bluetooth jammer and forget about it.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I like music while I play and on the range. If someone else doesn't want it on then I won't have it, otherwise it stays on. It doesn't bother me regardless but for me it's less distracting having some slight constant noise compared to complete silence and then a noise in my backdating or mid putt. Both of which have happened recently....

Do you walk up and down the range and poll people? The few times I have dealth with this at the range, I assure you the person did not ask anyone around them. One guy wanted to fight me when I asked him to turn it off. It was swell. See below. These actions force our hand to "suck it up" or "be that guy that says something" if you're not into it. I don't know you, and I have no idea what reaction I'll get from you if I have to say something.

Not a big fan of it.  Maybe I will have to learn to deal with it but it screws up my tempo.  Or that one song that gets "stuck in your head".  Maybe if I had Nicklaus-like focus that wouldn't be an issue but there's a reason I am playing where I play on the weekends and not on tour.

Sometimes it messes with my state of mind.  Play one of my late wife's favorite songs?  Not really someplace I want my mind to go during a round.  Nothing people would realize, I know. 

In the end, I usually just try to deal with it.  I mean, who want's to be "that" guy who complains about it?

Thinking about it more, I actually despise it.  When you play music on the course in my group you make me decide between being seen as a jerk or dealing with  a distraction.  Its not like I came over to your house to play golf.   Maybe I should buy my own set-up and play political speeches or a book on tape.  Or maybe I should just see if I can buy a bluetooth jammer and forget about it.

Music can have a very emotional response for people. I agree and some songs I want nothing to do with on a golf course. The last time I "sucked it up," the guy played Johnny Cash unplugged. Great album. But "I hurt my self today" while playing golf? A song about addiction and depressing s***? On the golf course? I didn't like it at all. I had no idea why the guy was playing it. ALso, he fiddled with it the ENTIRE round when he wasn't drinking another beer or smoking another heater, in the process being so distracted he left clubs behind TWICE and had to run back to get them an entire hole. It really "enhanced" the experience. LOL!

Ettiquette is out the window. If you play music, the spirit of ettiquette on the course is shattered. Ettiquette means people don't HAVE to ask you to change your actions. I deplore this "trend." I really do.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• SPY VIP

Not a big fan of it.  Maybe I will have to learn to deal with it but it screws up my tempo.  Or that one song that gets "stuck in your head".  

Great point about the tempo and stuck in the head. Sometimes the song playing as I drive in to the course gets stuck and that can be rough. I do find that Biggie's Big Poppa helpful in tempo...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That is seriously why I listen to talk radio most of the time....  In a perfect world these things would not get to me.  I could choose simply to ignore them.  And the fact that I am able to play a game instead of a million other things that are worse than that and be in a part of the world where I can play game just for pleasure without fear of random violence would give me enough reason to happily deal with it.  But, we don't live in a perfect world.  And I have not yet learned to live in that state of mind.  But I am trying.

WITB:

Play Right-handed

Do you walk up and down the range and poll people? The few times I have dealth with this at the range, I assure you the person did not ask anyone around them. One guy wanted to fight me when I asked him to turn it off. It was swell. See below. These actions force our hand to "suck it up" or "be that guy that says something" if you're not into it. I don't know you, and I have no idea what reaction I'll get from you if I have to say something.

I usually have headphones on the range unless I'm the only person out there or I know the people on the range. As for the round, if I know the people playing then I just ask if they care. Most welcome it in my usual groups. If I don't know them then I usually wait a hole or two to get acquainted and then ask if it would bother them if I played music or not. I tell them that I understand that it's not for everyone and no problem if they don't want it playing. I usually say that I even take requests and that gets a laugh most of the time.

I have to agree about the no depressing music thing. Most of my stuff is pretty upbeat. I think the closest to depressing I get is maybe Dave Matthews which to me isn't depressing.

To reiterate from my first post. I would much rather a constant noise in the background vs a loud sudden one in my backswing. Usually the music helps to drown out sudden noises from other things.

To reiterate from my first post. I would much rather a constant noise in the background vs a loud sudden one in my backswing. Usually the music helps to drown out sudden noises from other things.

I applaud you for being so considerate as to wait a few holes and ask - explaining that a "no" is OK. Some may still say OK even when they don't mean it. 

The comment above helps me to understand the issue more.  To some, the music is just a background noise - from your comment I assume that's you.  Same way I will have a ball game on the radio a lot of time and not even know what the score is if I am doing something else that's pretty involved.  But to others (me included) its very tough to hear music and place it into the background.  Its in the foreground - especially in settings where it isn't usual and is otherwise quiet. Its easy to tune out music in a crowded restaurant.  Not so easy when it's all you can hear. 

So I can see someone's point about "what's the big deal, its just a little background noise".  That makes sense to me now.  Doesn't solve the conundrum but at least I think I understand it better.

WITB:

Play Right-handed

I applaud you for being so considerate as to wait a few holes and ask - explaining that a "no" is OK. Some may still say OK even when they don't mean it. 

The comment above helps me to understand the issue more.  To some, the music is just a background noise - from your comment I assume that's you.  Same way I will have a ball game on the radio a lot of time and not even know what the score is if I am doing something else that's pretty involved.  But to others (me included) its very tough to hear music and place it into the background.  Its in the foreground - especially in settings where it isn't usual and is otherwise quiet. Its easy to tune out music in a crowded restaurant.  Not so easy when it's all you can hear. 

So I can see someone's point about "what's the big deal, its just a little background noise".  That makes sense to me now.  Doesn't solve the conundrum but at least I think I understand it better.

Yea I've turned mine off for people a lot of times. I can usually tell if it's making them uncomfortable even if they say Its not. On multiple occasions I've played with 1 headphone or ear bud in so I can here my music and not bother anyone. I'm not very social when I do this however. I'm usually trying to post a number and either don't like someone in the group or nobody is talking as is.

Now that I think about it I guess I'm weird in the sense that I don't care what's going on around me as long as nothing changes while I hit a shot. People can talk, music can play, whatever as long as nothing sudden happens (car horn, someone yell, etc..). This is probably bc golf is my second sport. I was much more comfortable having hundreds or thousands of people cheer for me on the baseball field than dead silence. Lol usually meant something bad was happening if it was quiet.

Things going on around me doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is when someone IS talking and stops in my backswing. That throws me off more than the talking lol.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I usually have headphones on the range unless I'm the only person out there or I know the people on the range. As for the round, if I know the people playing then I just ask if they care. Most welcome it in my usual groups. If I don't know them then I usually wait a hole or two to get acquainted and then ask if it would bother them if I played music or not. I tell them that I understand that it's not for everyone and no problem if they don't want it playing. I usually say that I even take requests and that gets a laugh most of the time.

I have to agree about the no depressing music thing. Most of my stuff is pretty upbeat. I think the closest to depressing I get is maybe Dave Matthews which to me isn't depressing.

I can't think of a thing I do where my personal actions necessitate a choice to be made by others at the golf course. It's an odd dynamic to create forcing people to choose to allow you to do something or not that is not critical to playing the game in any way, shape or form.

Music to me, on a golf course, is so foreign to the environment, even at a low level, I can't help but notice it.

What are these sudden "noises" that are so loud but can be drowned out by low level music. It won't help a bit. That's some loud music that drowns out a backfiring cart or something. But myself and others will notice the music as no one really expects to hear it out there. Well, at least that's the way it used to be.

It's just such a "me first" mentality kind of thing. That is the opposite of ettiquette. Ettiquette, to me, means no one has to make a choice about YOUR actions. That's an odd position to put people in. Over something that is not critical in any way shape or form.

Doesn't anyone like birds chirping, or just the wind rustling through trees? Or the slight clack of clubheads in the bag? Or hearing the sound of your impact? Or being able to clearly hear "fore!?"

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I like music.  You like music.  But I can guarantee that we won't like the same music.  I like my music in certain situations and the golf course is not one of them.  If I don't like my music on the golf course, I sure as hell don't want yours on the golf course.  Fine, if you are wearing headphones.  If someone across the course is playing music, there is not much I can do about that and it becomes part of the background noise.  However, the only reason I can see where someone is playing music in my group and I don't want them to play it, is to annoy me and gain an unfair advantage.  I have been known to leave a group and will not play with them again.  I agree with Divots, it's an etiquette thing.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Someone in this very thread has affected me with their music more than once.

There, I said it. I don't wanna start anything, but it has to be said.

"Glute Activator"

I've turned my music off for people, I've turned my music down so you can't hear it 2' outside the cart.  I have no issues with doing that, but I prefer to play with music.  All of the regular guys we play with prefer to play with music as well so it works for us.

I can use the same arguments either way though, someone's choice to not want music affects me the same way my choice to listen to music affects them.  In the end just like most things in golf it's different strokes for different folks.  Just be respectful either way and it will all work out.

Also if you don't want music probably best not to play in my group :)

I can't think of a thing I do where my personal actions necessitate a choice to be made by others at the golf course. It's an odd dynamic to create forcing people to choose to allow you to do something or not that is not critical to playing the game in any way, shape or form.

Music to me, on a golf course, is so foreign to the environment, even at a low level, I can't help but notice it.

What are these sudden "noises" that are so loud but can be drowned out by low level music. It won't help a bit. That's some loud music that drowns out a backfiring cart or something. But myself and others will notice the music as no one really expects to hear it out there. Well, at least that's the way it used to be.

It's just such a "me first" mentality kind of thing. That is the opposite of ettiquette. Ettiquette, to me, means no one has to make a choice about YOUR actions. That's an odd position to put people in. Over something that is not critical in any way shape or form.

Doesn't anyone like birds chirping, or just the wind rustling through trees? Or the slight clack of clubheads in the bag? Or hearing the sound of your impact? Or being able to clearly hear "fore!?"

Well now it seems we have jumped to etiquette and not just music. How do you know your actions don't affect me? Do you know if I like your pace of play or if someone curses it may offend me(it doesn't but to some it might)? No I don't think so. I could go on and on with these examples of what I consider questionable etiquette. Considering how opinionated you are, I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that you would do on the course that someone else wouldn't like. Hell my favorite playing partner does stuff that I don't like sometimes and this is a guy I was roommates with in college who played baseball with me. We have the same taste in basically everything and I still think certain things he does are inappropriate or poor golf etiquette. At least I am upfront with the thing I do and ask people if they are bothered by it. Also my music is played from my cell phone not a speaker. It isn't like you can hear it at all on the next hole over.

As for the loud things that have happened in My backswing lately, it was someone's young children who yelled in my backswing twice in 1.5 holes. Their mother had brought them to cheer on their father which is fine but it would've been better if they hadn't tried to quiet the children at all so the yammering would have been constant. The other time is someone blowing their horn in the parking lot next to the 18th green while I was trying to make a 4 foot birdie for double money.

Each person has something that bothers them while on the course. Yours may just be different than mine.

Well now it seems we have jumped to etiquette and not just music. How do you know your actions don't affect me? Do you know if I like your pace of play or if someone curses it may offend me(it doesn't but to some it might)? No I don't think so. I could go on and on with these examples of what I consider questionable etiquette. Considering how opinionated you are, I find it hard to believe that there is nothing that you would do on the course that someone else wouldn't like. Hell my favorite playing partner does stuff that I don't like sometimes and this is a guy I was roommates with in college who played baseball with me. We have the same taste in basically everything and I still think certain things he does are inappropriate or poor golf etiquette. At least I am upfront with the thing I do and ask people if they are bothered by it. Also my music is played from my cell phone not a speaker. It isn't like you can hear it at all on the next hole over.

As for the loud things that have happened in My backswing lately, it was someone's young children who yelled in my backswing twice in 1.5 holes. Their mother had brought them to cheer on their father which is fine but it would've been better if they hadn't tried to quiet the children at all so the yammering would have been constant. The other time is someone blowing their horn in the parking lot next to the 18th green while I was trying to make a 4 foot birdie for double money.

Each person has something that bothers them while on the course. Yours may just be different than mine.

No jump required. They are one in the same.

Each example of "noise" you cite is an ettiquette issue as well.

Pretty annoying when others don't consider your experience as important as theirs, huh?

"Glute Activator"

No jump required. They are one in the same.

Each example of "noise" you cite is an ettiquette issue as well.

Pretty annoying when others don't consider your experience as important as theirs, huh?

Hardly the same issue although you see them as one and the same. Check the survey. Well over half of the people who answered the survey say they don't mind music on the course in some form or fashion. That means it is more normal to accept music that consider it a breach in etiquette. I may consider it rude if you want me to turn my music off. Everyone sees different things as being rude.

Check the poll, indeed. 71 percent answered something other than outright acceptance. That's telling.

How is letting your kids yell on the course and not say anything to correct them NOT an ettiquette issue?

How is honking one's horn in the parking lot distracting people NOT an ettiquette issue?

How is that different from talking in your backswing? It's not. But, if it suites your music argument, it is.

VERY convenient.

I mean, I'm on your side on the ettiquette issues you cite. I think I have a good grasp on this.

"Glute Activator"

Check the poll, indeed. 71 percent answered something other than outright acceptance. That's telling.

How is letting your kids yell on the course and not say anything to correct them NOT an ettiquette issue?

How is honking one's horn in the parking lot distracting people NOT an ettiquette issue?

How is that different from talking in your backswing? It's not. But, if it suites your music argument, it is.

VERY convenient.

I mean, I'm on your side on the ettiquette issues you cite. I think I have a good grasp on this.

12 votes for liking It at some point during your round/range session vs 7 outright no. That seems like most golfers accept it to me than don't accept it. I'm not going to play music if someone dislikes it or seems uncomfortable with it. But why should I make my round less enjoyable if nobody cares if I play it? You are totally correct that those other things are etiquette issues. But they are unanimously understood as being poor etiquette. This is accepted by at least half of golfers. I don't play music every round I play but I checked the outright acceptance box because I wouldn't mind if someone played music. You just have to take others into consideration. If you think it might bother someone then stop playing it. Music and etiquette are two different subjects unless the person playing the music refuses to take others into account. I choose to enjoy it and you don't. If we played together then their wouldn't be music. If I played with my normal group then there most likely would. To each their own.

Archived