TESTERS WANTED! ×

Played good or played bad?

Mr_Theoo

What determines how well you played during a round? The final score or a handful of good shots?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

For me it depends on what your goal for the round is.  

For me it's the score.  I can be happy with some good shots, but I wouldn't say I played well unless I scored well.  It also depends how short or long your memory is.  

2nd round of the year I started poorly, bogey on 1, double on 2, bogey on 3.  At the turn I thought I was playing poorly but then looked at the scorecard and realized I par out from 4 through 9 and shot a 40.  Long memory made me thing I was playing bad, but the 2nd round of the year and march golf I'm pretty happy with that.

Next round I shot an 81, but I was 5 over the last 3 holes.  Utilize the short memory and forget about the last 3,  I'm still pretty happy with an 81 for mid-march golf and played 15 holes not too bad.

So forget the bad ones, remember the good ones and be realistic with your goals.  That will lead to playing well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So forget the bad ones, remember the good ones and be realistic with your goals.  That will lead to playing well.

Know what you mean -- early season rounds get a lot of leeway.  Best round last week in Texas I hacked around for the first 7 holes -- wasn't pretty, but then things started clicking.  Parred 8 and 9 and finished the front with a - gulp - 46.  Proceeded to play the back 9 in even par and with better putting, who knows? Finished with a 46-35-81 line.  When folks ask how I played I just tell them I played the last 11 holes in even par. 

Course and weather have a lot to do with it, too.  Some days a 90 is something to be happy with, other days an 80 is depressing.  Good thing we don't play this game for a living...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Score is always a good indicator. I am not one to make a bunch of birdies, so my good round is not making many bogeys. The longer the course, the harder that is. It's a good day if I don't make DB or worse and a bunch of pars.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

As a high handicapper, I cant let score be the arbiter of my happiness. I know what I should shoot based on my handicap. My average is a scarry 90-100.  So after using a tracking app, I know several things about my game:

1. I avergae a 250-270 yrd drive. I know that getting rid of my slice SHOULD give me anywhere from 10-30 more yards once its straight. So I KNOW that i can not fix that the VERY NEXT game. A few less in the rough stuff would be nice during my next round. But not neccessarry.

2. I know my approach shots (for me from 140 - 40) are fairly good. Playing the affore mentioned slice, from that range I am in the 78% range for getting on the dance floor. While that number may be horrible for some, I am proud of how high it is compared to this time last year. So maintaining those shots can lead to a good round for me. 

3. Pitching from 40 in is a GIANT pain in my AS*. I am notorious for blading the ball over the green and walking to the other side for a shot from the previously mentioned approach range.  I avergae adding 8-10 strokes from those short pitches alone. So if that is the number of strokes i screw up this round, I am hitting average for me right now. If less, great. If more, could be good or could be bad round. Depends on them all together.

4. Chipping is something I think I am the strongest at. When i am just off the green in chip range i think my 7 iron has a scope on it at times. While I have never hit the ACE that was mentioned in a thread earlier today, I have holed out from over 20 yards several times. Sadly my excessive chipping often comes from my fear of trying to pitch. I expect good chipping from myself. Bad round of chips can lead to a bad overall round for me.

5. Putting. I know that I simply DONT spend enough time on the practice green. i keep telling myself I need to go to Golfsmith or Ledbetter and only take my putter. I have the Rossa and just bought a Rife in an effort to see if I feel a difference. I just have never asked what a putter should feel like. And no, I have never asked to be fit for one. The closest I came was doing the Demo in Golfsmith with the Happy Putter.

Finally, I try not to look at the score until I sink the putt on 18. I found myself stressing over score between holes when I first picked up the game. I dont like doing that. I didnt know I broke 100 for the first time until my playing partner casually told me I shot the 99. He didnt know I hadnt broke 100 yet.

So the score , to me, is the bow on my round. Sometimes its pretty and great looking. Sometimes, it looks like Van de Velde in the 99 British Open.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

So the score , to me, is the bow on my round. Sometimes its pretty and great looking. Sometimes, it looks like Van de Velde in the 99 British Open.

As long as you're having fun, it's a great day ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

we should put that on a bumper sticker

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

For me, at this point, my goal is to make par on 3-4 holes in the round. If I can manage that I consider it a great day.

Also, if I hit more fairways that not. Keep it simple as a high capper.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I need to score in the 80's to feel like I have played well.  I know I can do it, having shot three reunds in the 70's in the past three years.  Lately, I have been struggling to break 90.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I need to score in the 80's to feel like I have played well.  I know I can do it, having shot three reunds in the 70's in the past three years.  Lately, I have been struggling to break 90.

In the first month of the season, usually April, I'm happy to play at 95 or below.  By mid-May, I feel like I should be playing in the 80's consistently (at least on the courses I usually play).  

My lowest round, so far, is 81 but I was breaking 85 pretty regularly before the season ended last year and I think I can break 80 this year.

But it's ALWAYS good to be on a golf course ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

EXACTLY!  remember you paid to play, your not getting paid to play. You might as well enjoy it....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Had another thought after Bill's post.  I have different expectations of good and bad when I play unfamiliar courses.  Other than my practice course where I never keep score, there are three courses in the area that I will play throughout the year.  My good round on those is a bunch of pars and several bogeys.  I would accept a DB or worse if I also got a birdie thrown in.  Don't get many birdies, so they count a lot on my "good round meter."

When I travel, whether it is 1-6 hours by car or anywhere by plane, those expectations are a recipe for disaster, almost to the point of not having fun on the course.  I have learned that I have many more bad rounds than good rounds; I will get more DBs and fewer birdies.  This even occurs on rounds played on courses that I have played before, not just totally unfamiliar courses.  Of course I want to play just as well, but there are so many factors that contribute to that not happening; weather, fairway and green firmness, green speed, types of grass, surrounding terrain, hilliness resulting in lies that I do not normally encounter, etc.  

As a result, I tend to focus on the fun part.  After all, I am most likely playing golf with my wife.  I should be enjoying it, right?  So, what can happen??  My wife is currently a 21 HCP; she was an 18 before her knee replacement last year.  That means she has the potential to break 90 if she has a great round.  That's happened.  I have the potential to shoot worse than 90.  That's happened too.  If those two things happen in the same round, well...   THAT'S a bad round for me, and Yes, it's happened.  Since she is 9 years younger than I am, I expect that in a few years, it will happen more and more frequently.   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Score is certainly a factor for whether I feel I've played well or poorly. That said, at the end of the round, I tend to look at how I feel I hit the ball that day over the score alone. I think stats can be misleading that way. My fairways hit and GIR may be terrible but I hit it well and had a good score.

Also, 78 on one course can feel better than a 76 on another. I've been out and shot an 80 but felt better about the way I played that day than I've felt when I've shot at 76. Missing a few putts can make the score worse than how I actually played that day.

TIBA Putt - Discover your best stroke.

There are times I will shoot 81 and think man I played well today, and time when I shoot 81 and think man I played like dog poop today. Last year on Sunday in the club championship I shot 81, it was the worst 81 ever, I three putted 5 times, and missed 2 birdies inside of 3 feet. That round could easily have been 74.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

At the end of the day, golf is all about score.  When I evaluate how well I've played, its basically based on score.  Some days I hit it great but chip or putt poorly, or vice versa, but if I can post a score around 80 or better, I'm satisfied with my play.  This puts the round into the better half of my scores, generally speaking. If I hit a couple of great shots but still shoot 88, I'm not at all satisfied.  I still review every shot in my head, looking for what I did well, and what needs improvement, but overall satisfaction comes from the overall score.

A different matter is how much I enjoyed my day.  With very few exceptions, I have a good time every day I spend on a golf course.  I'm almost always with friends, doing something I love to do.  Something as trivial as a bad score can't ruin that. 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Good question score is probably the best answer... although it's not the whole story. I've scored great but played like garbage, or but never the other way around. For me, playing well is hitting the driver over 225 consistently, with irons generally finding greens... and mostly 2 putts. My general thought is I'm at my best when I'm leaving myself room on the green from close and I'm putting from 4-12 feet around 80-90 percent.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

That's how I wish I feel, but sadly, that is just never going to be true for me.  I'm just too competitive with myself in golf to think like that.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

That's how I wish I feel, but sadly, that is just never going to be true for me.  I'm just too competitive with myself in golf to think like that.

I'll admit, I've "mellowed" with age, and I didn't take up the game until late in life, so golf has always been more of a social pursuit for me.

That said, I want to play well, but that's not the only pleasure I find in golf.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'll admit, I've "mellowed" with age, and I didn't take up the game until late in life, so golf has always been more of a social pursuit for me.

That said, I want to play well, but that's not the only pleasure I find in golf.

I agree that the score is not the only pleasure in golf.  I enjoy playing with friends, family, and sometimes 3 different generations of people, but golf is my main sport and it is what I like to push myself and be very competitive at.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

Fun or score make for a good day and when it's both its a great day.

So to recap it's always a good day when I play golf, the only question is whether or not its a great day.

As an addendum I saw a couple of higher handicappers mention that their definition isn't score dependent. My bet is that with that thinking they won't be high handicappers much longer. Work the process and the scores will come. Kudos to you!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived