TESTERS WANTED! ×

When will you be content?

Bogey in The Woods

So we all enjoy golf. We all have fantasies about shooting the monster numbers that the pros shoot.  We all want to play the Masters. (or tourney of your choice) So we all play, wanting to get better. 

If you believe statitics, 80% of golfers will never have a handicap below 19 (USGA Stat). Now I will acknowledge that most of our members are not the "average golfer". 

However, using myself for example, I am 42 years old and play a 23.38 handicap as of my last round. I believe that I can take my handicap down to about a 10-14 handicap based on how much time I can play and practice. Also factoring in how much money I will have for lessons. 

So I know that if I start shooting an 80-85, that is probably as good as I will ever get. So the question is: When will/do you know that you are shooting your best golf? When will you realistically, acknowledge (if ever) that you can be happy with how you are playing?

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Content?

That doesn't sound like the natural state of any golfer!

I thought I'd be content when I played off single figures, when I got down to 7, when I got down to 5.... I'm happy but not content.

Striving to improve is what drives you forward.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

NEVER! I can always do better.

I say that because my driving and putting was always where I lost shots. My irons and wedges were pretty solid. But this last year I've hardly played. My driver is better than ever, but putting still weak and irons and wedges not as solid and automatic as they used to be. If I can get those back and spend some time putting, I'll shoot pretty good scores.

Now back to reality....do I have the time it takes to do that? No. So will my scores drop to low 80s or less this year? Not likely. Does that make me content knowing that? Not really. Mis-hitting or misjudging shots that I normally pull off is irritating.

Like Nike says - there's always better.  :nike-small:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I can be happy or content with an individual round, but content with my overall game?  I don't think that will ever happen. 

I do know what I need to do to get better, but I'm realistic and realize most of that won't actually happen.  So while i can still be happy with how I played, and happy with my overall game, i don't think I'll ever be completely content because I'll always know I could have shot better.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The trouble with this game, is that you can shoot 120. But if ONE (1), of those 120 shots is a quality strike, then your brain tells you that EVERY shot should be ...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Content?

That doesn't sound like the natural state of any golfer!

I thought I'd be content when I played off single figures, when I got down to 7, when I got down to 5.... I'm happy but not content.

Striving to improve is what drives you forward.

I have to agree with westy.  

Most of you haven't gotten to my age, you young whippersnappers!!  When I started playing 23 years ago, I was about a 30HCP.  Spent a lot of time and money trying to get better.  I am happy playing now, but I am not content.  My problem is that I know that my scores will start going up with each year I get older.  I strive to improve my game wherever I can to at least hold back Father Time.  Eventually, I expect, my perspective will change from trying to shoot my lowest score, to trying to hit all my shots the way I think I should and to hell with the score. (Some will say that I should be doing that now and I can't disagree.)    Will I be able to do that?  Likely no. 

I am not sure that anyone that gets hooked on this game, can ever be content with how they play it.  The goals just keep changing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I consider the fact that one can never "master" golf, to be one of it's charms and will always strive to improve.

I MIGHT be somewhat content when I can shoot my age, either because I've improved so much, or that I've lived far longer than I would have expected.  Either result would be a good one ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

If the game could ever be owned, we wouldn't see a different name in the winners circle every week. We wouldn't see the epic rise and fall of the David Duvalls, or even Tiger for that matter.

Anyone who plays the game will always think they could have done better.

That's one of the reasons I think non-conforming clubs are silly. Some guy is going to go from 110's to low 100's maybe. Be he STILL won't be satisfied, because he will still think he can do better. He will just be $1000 poorer in his misery.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I consider the fact that one can never "master" golf, to be one of it's charms and will always strive to improve.

I MIGHT be somewhat content when I can shoot my age, either because I've improved so much, or that I've lived far longer than I would have expected.  Either result would be a good one ;)

Next year I can say that I shot my age. Does it count if I shot today's age 8 years ago?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Content? Probably when I'm in the 70's. But really I'm just content I can play.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

For me? Right now, scratch.... Until I'm scratch. Then it will be a positive handicap. And then something else. Anyone seeing a trend lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Well......  I'm content to be able to play the game at a reasonable level, which is a lot better than most can play. I'm by no means what I would consider a good player. Some of the people I play with think I'm great...lol. Do I want to be better? Sure! I also know that I probably won't get a whole lot better than I am now. 

I work too much to actually put in the practice time it takes to be a "better" player. When I get to play, I would rather "play" than work on stuff...lol. To me, golf is for fun and pleasure. I'm not trying to make a mortgage payment or eat from playing golf. I'm "content" to enjoy the game. That doesn't mean I don't want to improve. I don't fret over not being better than I am.

I don't think it's about being content, it's about meeting your goals, and when you meet one goal, or are "content" with that goal, you set a new goal. So although. You may feel like your game is in a good place, you are never content, you are always trying to improve.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Define content I suppose. I'm can net to that I'm a good golfer. I very much want to be and plan on being better tomorrow than today. It gets tougher all the time but I still want to get better.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived