TESTERS WANTED! ×

Competitive golf

Mr_Theoo

So I have my first tournament coming up in a few weeks and I have no idea what to expect.

I know a lot of you guys have played in tournaments and other competitions. Any tips on how to prepare or what to expect?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Try to get out and play the venue once or twice before the tournament, pick your spots where you can try to make a score and where you know you will need to play it safe.  Then stick to the game plan.  Also brush up on your common rules.  Make sure you know what to do if your ball is in a hazard, or OB, or lateral water etc...  Also when you are checking in for the tourney make sure to ask if there are any local rules in effect.

Expect to have more pressure than you are used to and don't get frustrated if you aren't playing as well as you know you can.  Tourney golf is much more taxing mentally.  That preparation before the tournament can help alleviate a lot of the stress though.  If you know you are prepared then you just have to stick with your game plan.

Best of luck with the tourney and let us know how it goes!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Try to get out and play the venue once or twice before the tournament, pick your spots where you can try to make a score and where you know you will need to play it safe. Then stick to the game plan. Also brush up on your common rules. Make sure you know what to do if your ball is in a hazard, or OB, or lateral water etc... Also when you are checking in for the tourney make sure to ask if there are any local rules in effect.

Expect to have more pressure than you are used to and don't get frustrated if you aren't playing as well as you know you can. Tourney golf is much more taxing mentally. That preparation before the tournament can help alleviate a lot of the stress though. If you know you are prepared then you just have to stick with your game plan.

Best of luck with the tourney and let us know how it goes!!

Thanks! Unfortunately I think the course I'm playing at is private so no practice rounds before hand. I have been looking over the scorecards and course layouts though.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

What hcky said. Course familiarity is worth a few shots. It's tough going to a course blind, especially under tournament conditions. Hopefully it's a course you have played a lot. Remember the thread about making yardage books? They're nice to have, but using Google Earth to get familiar with the layout is helpful. However, nothing beats playing the course. Find out what tees you will be using. They can move them around a little, but at least you can get approximate numbers to hazards and doglegs.

We've had the discussion about getting there early and how much time on the range. Just enough to get a feel for what kind of swing you have that day. I see people hit way to many balls before the tournament starts. Spend most time on the putting green. Don't feel rushed. Most of all just relax and have fun... no matter what. It's an experience!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Tournament golf is a totally different animal, but if you're competitive they are the greatest form of golf you can play.

Bring a little extra of the home grown, they're usually a long day. Plan ahead for water and some type of snack to ensure you continue to stay fueled during your round.

Plan ahead so you're there with more than enough time to get ready; your version of ready whether you bang 300 balls or just roll three putts and go. If you never roll putts before a round, now is not when you should start. If you hit five drives, five wedges, five putts, and then tee off with your normal buddies DONT change that! Usually you need to report to the starters box no less than ten minutes before your starting time.

You're going to be nervous. It's natural. If you can find out what your natural nervous tendencies are for those first couple holes, until you cool down, that would be a nice benefit.

You'll know before the first guy in your group tees off if your fellow competitors want to talk or if you're going to be out here alone with your thoughts.

If it is a qualifier, you just need to qualify, not win. Par or a couple over based on the field usually moves on. A couple bogeys won't kill ya.

When you're out there play your game. Don't compare yourself with the others. Hit the shot that you know you can hit rather than the shot you think you should hit.

Have a good time and take notes directly after your round while everything is still fresh, almost like a SWOT analysis on how you played.

Get there early, relaxed. Stress from running late equates to trouble on the course.

Eat food! Your out there a long time, if you get hungry your concentration will go.

It's slightly pointless telling you to relax and enjoy it, nerves are normal but the more chilled out you are the better.

Know where the practice ground and green are, don't engage in a different warm from normal - do what you normally do. Breaking from routine usually raises people's stress level.

Know where the first tee is! I have seen people DSQ'd because they arrived a minute late after misjudging how far the tee was away from the clubhouse. I usually head to the first tee 15 minutes before, engage in a few conversations with other players - mark my ball, check my gloves, GPS etc.

If you need to sign in, do it nice and early and check any local rules that might be in force for the comp (oh and which tees your using!).

Enjoy it, we'll be awaiting the post match feedback with interest!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Get there early, relaxed. Stress from running late equates to trouble on the course.

Eat food! Your out there a long time, if you get hungry your concentration will go.

It's slightly pointless telling you to relax and enjoy it, nerves are normal but the more chilled out you are the better.

Know where the practice ground and green are, don't engage in a different warm from normal - do what you normally do. Breaking from routine usually raises people's stress level.

Know where the first tee is! I have seen people DSQ'd because they arrived a minute late after misjudging how far the tee was away from the clubhouse. I usually head to the first tee 15 minutes before, engage in a few conversations with other players - mark my ball, check my gloves, GPS etc.

If you need to sign in, do it nice and early and check any local rules that might be in force for the comp (oh and which tees your using!).

Enjoy it, we'll be awaiting the post match feedback with interest!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Thanks! Unfortunately I think the course I'm playing at is private so no practice rounds before hand. I have been looking over the scorecards and course layouts though.

Theoo,

Give them a call, a lot of times private courses will allow you to get on for one or two practice rounds. For our county Spring and Fall medal tournaments here all of them are on private courses. A phone call never hurts.

**May the fade be with you**

Driver - :taylormade-small:  SLDR 9.5 Paderson KINETIXx IMRT Green Stiff / 255 cpm
Fairway Wood - :titelist-small:  910F 3 wood
Hybrids - :callaway-small:  Big Bertha Diablo 21deg
Irons - :titelist-small:  710 AP2 4-PW Standard Lie/Flex
Wedges - :taylormade-small:  XFT 50, 54, 60
Putter - :cameron-small:  California Monterey
Ball - :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour

Theoo, you didn't say what the format is. ?? That's pretty important. If in fact you are a 34 handicap player you'll most likely play in last flight. No biggie. I wouldn't at this point get all worked up over the event. Just go out and play your game. It's not a Pro or club championship. Enjoy it. If you get or can play a practice round great. If not that's ok too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Practice your short game a lot in the week leading up to the tourney. Its what is most likely to crumble and what matters the most in helping you put up a good number. I putt every night leading up to a tournament. Also what is the format? That may be important. Its weird for them not to allow a practice round.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Straight from the rule book for the Tour

• ï‚·  Discounted practice round rates are negotiated with our tournament courses for the week before a

tournament. Please be prepared to show your AGT member card to receive discounts. 

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Theoo,

Give them a call, a lot of times private courses will allow you to get on for one or two practice rounds. For our county Spring and Fall medal tournaments here all of them are on private courses. A phone call never hurts.

Definitely.  Tell them you're in the tourney and never played the course.  Worst they'll do is say no.  If you do get a practice round in, bring a notebook and focus more on notes than actually playing.

Good luck...and above all....have fun!!!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My advice is going to be opposite of everyone else's.  Don't do anything differently than normal!!!!!!!  If you normally get the course an hour early - do it - if its 10 minutes do that. Don't over practice the week before although it doesn't hurt to work on the short game a bit extra.  One abnormal thing you'll have to do is try and slow everything that you do down but that will be just to keep it normal (you will be hyped and what seems slow may be faster than normal.)

The other thing would be to develop a game plan in advance - that should be normal and if its not then make it that way.  So if you can't play the course first go online and look at the card, know the tees you'll be playing and when you have a normal range session pretend to play the course - for me that would be normal, I always include some fake course work in every range session - sometimes I play my favorite courses from the past and I always try and play the most difficult of holes - it helps my focus - but that's normal for me - for you develop a plan and stick to it.

Normal, the more normal you can feel and react that day the better you'll do.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Theoo, you didn't say what the format is. ?? That's pretty important. If in fact you are a 34 handicap player you'll most likely play in last flight. No biggie. I wouldn't at this point get all worked up over the event. Just go out and play your game. It's not a Pro or club championship. Enjoy it. If you get or can play a practice round great. If not that's ok too.

I'm a 32 handicap so I will be in the lowest flight which is fine by me. The course will be set up to play much shorter than I'm used to playing so I know I will be practicing my short game. Especially the 40-50 yard pitch shots.

Straight from the rule book for the Tour

• ï‚· Discounted practice round rates are negotiated with our tournament courses for the week before a

tournament. Please be prepared to show your AGT member card to receive discounts.

Thanks Jason I didn't see that before

Thanks Jason I didn't see that before

No worries. Ill go with you haha.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Theoo you still haven't told us that the Tournament format is.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Theoo you still haven't told us that the Tournament format is.

It's stroke play. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Theo, I'll echo something revkev said.  When I'm playing an important competition, I make a specific effort to do everything a little slower than normal.  Most of my problems begin when I get fast, fast in decision making, fast swings.  If I walk a little slower, breathe a little slower, warm up a little more deliberately, that helps me keep my pace for everything just a little slower.  In order to make that work out, I do get to the course a little earlier than I usually would.  

If you'll be part of a shotgun start, remember that all the practice areas are likely to be more crowded, so finding a spot on the range may take a few minutes, same with putting practice.  Arriving early will allow you to get all your warm-ups one without stressing over finding room.

I also spend a little more time putting than normal, mostly to get accustomed to the speed of the greens.

Good luck, and enjoy!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Very true Dave, I warm up very quickly, dozen balls is plenty, actually I can hit none and be fine, so if the range is uber crowded I skip it and hit the practice green. But I'm unusual. I started to use my range sessions to prep for being late about ten years ago. I have a series of stretches that I do and I pretty much will stripe that first driver every time.

I'm am not suggesting anyone else do that. We are all different.

Sean the key is to be yourself. It's flighted, all you need to do is play to your handicap. You enjoy being on the course and being with people. Slower play doesn't bother you and from what I saw when we played together you shrug off bad shots. You will do great!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Stroke play is my favorite. Match play too. I don't play/like scrambles really. Yeah... I've played many for charities or some such but I'd prefer not too. They're hoke in my opinion. Anyway.. my simple advice is just go out and warm up and play your normal game and let the chips fall. I think guys including me sometimes read way too much into these run of the mill tournaments. It's not a major state or national armature event or anything. The rules certainly apply more in your tournament than in your normal Saturday game. So be aware and know the most common and basic ones. Since this is your first tournament you'll learn a lot. I'll be interested to hear how your experience goes. Most importantly... have fun.

I usually step onto the course and go, but in tournaments I have  set routine from experience. Get there an hour early, hit balls for 20-30 minutes. Go putt/chip for 10-15... just to get a feel. Then I'll go back and hit the first 2-3 holes on the range... Driver iron wedge... and hit a few putts again if there's time.

Stroke play is all about keeping the big ones off the score. For me that meant letting a bad score go immediately. If you have a bad hole, keep things from getting out of hand. You'll be nervous, but it goes away pretty quick after the first hole and you get competitive juices going.

Biggest thing for me was putting. If I could putt well I could make up for bad shots elsewhere... find something that you can fall back on to make up for mistakes.

Oh and good luck.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I've started to plan my day for the tournament. The course is about a hour away and it starts at 2 so I wont have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get there on time which is nice. I'm hoping to get out this Sunday for a round just to shake the rust off and get used to hitting golf shots again, not just working on the swing. I hope to get there about 2 hours before the tee time to not only warm up but also stretch and eat a light lunch. I plan to pack my own lunch and snacks since the round will probably be a long one. 

Try to play around the same time in the afternoon as your tournament.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Try to play around the same time in the afternoon as your tournament.

Good idea! I had a lesson today and if I can hit the ball half as well as I did I should do just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well today's the day. Had a good range session yesterday after I got over some nerves. Very excited to tee it up today!

Good luck with the tournament. I can't wait to start playing some competitive golf.

Driver: :adams-small: XTD Ti 9* Matrix Ozik Red Tie s flex                        

Fairway: :cobra-small: AMP 15* Aldila RIP s flex               

Hybrid:  :cleveland-small: 588 Custom 20.5* Matrix Ozik Altus

Irons: :taylormade-small:  2014 Tour Preferred MC 4-pw w/ KBS Tour s flex +1"  

Wedges:  :scatch-golf-1: 8620 50*DD w/ KBS Rev, 54* and 58* DD w/ KBS C-Taper  

Putter: :bridgestone-small:  TD-01 True Balance 34"

How'd it go?

I shot a 107 but overall it went pretty good. It rained pretty much the whole time which sucked cause it made it hard to grip clubs and it was cold. I pretty much had to hit hybrid off every par 4 and 5 because I couldn't grip the driver. But the course was amazing, by far the best greens I've ever played on. I definitely plan to play in more this summer.

Archived