TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Pride - Grip Dominator?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Not entirely sure what this means, but I did find it interesting...

79 of the 97 players at the Masters - 81% - used Golf Pride grips (or, according to the press release, "trusted their games to Golf Pride").

26 of the top 30 finishers used Golf Pride.

The Tour Velvet was by far the most preferred, with 55 players using Tour Velvet - 3 times more than all the other grip brands combined.

And players using Golf Pride grips have won 85% of the last 20 major championships.  

What does it all mean??  Golf Pride certainly is the industry standard and the world's largest grip manufacturer, but does it mean their grips are far and away the best out there? Does it mean they have far and away the most money to get players to use their grips?  Well, we can eliminate that notion - Golf Pride pays no endorsement money to players to use their grips, nor do they have any bonus pool money or winners share money for the pros.  

From the Did Not Know That File -- Golf Pride is owned by Eaton Corporation, a $22.6 BILLION dollar outfit involved in everything from the aerospace industry to electronics, controls, automotive and plastics.  They're freaking HUGE!.  I see Eaton at the annual ASHRAE trade show for the HVAC industry (even won a Nike golf pullover at their booth one  year), but didn't know they owned Golf Pride.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I didn't know they don't give pay to play money, makes it a little bit cooler that so many pro's play them.

Two reasons I don't play them though.  They didn't have enough color selections when I was picking my grips and they wear out too quickly. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I seem to notice a lot of the guys using the multi compound grips when I watch. I'm a bit surprised the tour velvet is the most popular. I guess it's just perception since I use the multi compound. It's like when you get a new car and start noticing them all over the place.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I noticed Rory place the NDMC grips.  I liked them a lot, but agree with hcky that they wear out too fast.  Not wearing a glove might have something to do with that.  When you can have new grips put on every tournament if you like, I might still be playing them.  I'm sticking with my Pures.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it is all in the feel to a person. Now I was always a cord man GP cords to be exact. When my fitter built my irons last year he had GP Tour Wraps on the prototypes and I liked them. When he built mine he used the same grips in fact I like them so much I switched my fairways ,driver and wedges to the Tour Wrap. Have had them on over a year and I practice and or play at least 5 times a week no wear yet and no slippage issues either and you guys know it gets as hot as Hades here in the summer. Just wash them off with mild soap (Johnson's Baby Soap) and water and the tackiness comes right back. I would say that GP is the leader in the grip industry because they have been in it since there have been rubber slide on grips.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Still gaming Lamkin REL's on my driver and fairways with Pure P2Wraps on my Mizuno's and SCOR's......liking the Pure's

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think you guys are going to convert me to Pures and air installation before long.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I think you guys are going to convert me to Pures and air installation before long.

Pures are not the only grips that you can use with air, but I do like them.

As long as you are careful, many grips can be put on wth air. I even put a Best Grips leather on my putter with air. The only grip that I have been unsuccessful with so far is the Winn classic with the hard rubber end. Couldn't get it to seal enough to slip on.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks kenny,  I was wondering if I could air install other grips as well....was thinking I could.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks kenny,  I was wondering if I could air install other grips as well....was thinking I could.

Forgot to mention... if you put a lot of wraps under the grip, it may be a little more difficult to get even the Pures on.  I just wet it with a little grip solvent; doesn't take much.  Goes on a lot easier. Definitely had to do that with the putter.

I've always like the Lamkin Mid size cord, but I just got a wedge that came with a NO1 grip that I'm REALLY liking A LOT.  Spendy (and I just re-gripped all my clubs) but I'm keeping the NO1 grips in mind, for the next re-grip.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Very interesting that they are owned by Eaton. I have some friends that work at Eaton Aerospace.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I don't play GP because they aw getting to be way too expensive, at 11 to 12 bucks per grip, that's over 150 bucks for grips, more if you can't install them yourself, no thanks. I got the Lamkin UTX when they had the 2 for 1 sale, 4 bucks per grip, and I install them myself, air might seem to be nice bit I just spray the inside of the grip, slosh it around, and then saturate the tape and they slip right on, and I can adjust them if needed, they are ready to play in an hour or Two. I usually so my grips in the evenings so they are ready in the morning if I need them, it only takes about 30 minutes to do a set of irons, depending on how much build up tape you are using, I like to take my time to get the correct instead of just slapping them on

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived