Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Can Nike Vapor Fix My Game? A Fitting Experiment

• SPY VIP

Another Fitting Adventure

Nike Fitting 2015-04.jpg

During my tenure as a writer and gear reviewer for mygolfspy, I have chronicled my experiences with club fitting more than once. I have made trips to Callaway a couple of times, and a trip to PING last year. Prior to that, I shared my fitting experience with PING's then new G25 line-up, and provided some basic insight into Edel's putter fitting process.

Today, I have another fitting to share with you, but this time, it's going to be a little different.

My goal in the prior fittings was to take you along for the ride as best I could. I shot a ton of photos, and wrote a bunch about what I experienced. I wanted those of you who will never set foot in the Ely Callaway Performance Center, or PING's HQ in Arizona to be able to visit them vicariously through what I was sharing. Fitting was always a part of the story for me, but making it interesting to read about was equally, if not more important.

Again though, today's write-up is a little different.

This fitting will feature new gear, but it's not about showcasing the latest and the greatest, documenting all the specs and engineering feats. There's no exotic location this time. In fact, this fitting took place on the driving range of a course I probably play thirty-plus times a year. I did take some photos, but to be fair, they're not my best, and I probably should have shot more to totally capture the story.

I apologize for that. I like to share what I experience with all of you. It was all a matter of focus though, because this time, the fitting was completely for my benefit.

I documented in my 2015 swing rebuilding thread and also in the more recent thread, Becoming More Regular, that I believe that my clubs no longer fit my swing after losing thirty pounds and also having gallbladder removal surgery last fall. Something is just not in sync with the old gear and my new body/swing.

All of my current gear, barring some impulse driver purchases, was custom fit to me by professional fitters, and it worked at the time of the fitting. Now, not so much.

At first, I blamed it on my body, thinking that my surgery and weight loss had altered my swing mechanics. I assumed that as I healed, the strength and flexibility would return and so too would the mechanics. If not, I'd probably need to take a lesson, or a bunch of lessons. Then another gear change experience after the weight loss led me to another hypothesis.

Before I started working with my amazing trainer Charles Burton, and changing my diet, I wore pants that had a 36 waist. Now I wear a 32. Those pants from before do not fit any longer. Naturally, I bought new ones that do. Sure, I could start a power diet of pizza and beer to get back into those larger sized pants, but you probably see that as a bad idea like I do.

Could it be that my swing is still pretty good, but my clubs, like those pants, just no longer fit me?

The State of My Game

My current scores have been in the mid-80's. Honestly, based upon my six-year history with the game, shooting the 80's is something that I should be happy with. Lately though, that 85 score comes from hitting 75% of the fairways from the tee, and averaging around 30 putts. What's my GIR percentage? Zero point zero.

I can't control my irons in terms of distance or accuracy. Drives are short, pounded to 210-220. Things just feel off, again, like wearing pants that are four inches too large. My legs may be covered, but not really efficiently or effectively.

The Question

There are actually a couple of questions. Do my clubs really still fit my swing? Do I need to get fit again for clubs? Has my body changed so much that my fitted set fits the old body, not the new? Or, has the body changes resulted in a swing so poor that changing gear will do nothing? That's a lot of questions. The main question though is

If I get fit for new clubs, can I play better golf?

The Setting

Nike Fitting 2015-05.jpg

As I said, this fitting occurred at a local course, Ancil Hoffman GC, on the outdoor range. I read in their email newsletter that Nike was going to do a demo/fitting day there last Saturday. I knew that I had to attend for a couple of reasons.

First, I like the new Nike gear a bunch and I wanted to hit it. I'll never deny that I love to smash balls with new stuff. I had hit some of the 2015 gear before, like the Vapor Pro Combo irons and Vapor Pro driver. The new Vapor lines are very visually appealing to me. Some don't like the Volt color scheme, but I much prefer it to the Covert red of years past.

Nike Fitting 2015-03.jpg

The second reason, and more important one, was that I saw this Nike fitting as a way to know once and for all if I should be even thinking about getting new clubs. It's totally possible that this is a lesson, not gear issue. If a professional fitter can't figure out a gear set-up that helps me to hit the ball better than it is time to forget about gear and book lessons.

Like I said, this fitting was different, much more personal. It represented a crossroads for my golfing future.

Fitting Day

Nike Fitting 2015-07.jpg

It's probably more accurate to say that the fitting experience began at about 3:00 am the night before. Fittings stress me out. I always feel like I'm going to show up and not be able to hit anything worth a damn in front of the fitter. My subconscious made sure that I contemplated this anxiety for a few hours when I should have been sleeping. Thanks for that, brain.

Anyway, I got to the range about 45 minutes before the fitting. I wanted to be sure that the rust and dust were out of the joints before I had to hit representative shots. Not good shots, just ones that I think are typical for my current play.

I couldn't hit a ball worth a damn at all at first, but after some serious conversations with the Orange Whip and the Tour Striker, I felt like I had my current swing ready to display.

IMG_6131.jpg

Iron Fitting

I met the Nike rep Jeff and we had a nice opening conversation about all things golf and Nike golf. We were both happy, and a bit surprised with how well Tiger played at the Masters, glad to see that Rory pulled it together after the first day, and that kind of golf chat.

Jeff then asked me to describe my game and to show him my current set. I explained to him about my no-longer-fitting hypothesis. Next, Jeff had me hit some balls with my current 7i. For reference, that's a Callaway RAZR X Tour, shafted with a Dynamic Gold S300.

He could immediately see that there was a fit issue. His comment was something along the line of couldn't even imagining fitting me in that shaft. Jeff is not new to the fitting game. He has been with Nike for five years, and Adams for a long run prior to that. I believed that his opinion was an educated one.

Looks like my poor-fitting hypothesis may have some legs after all.

Nike Fitting 2015-08.jpg

We began then hitting Vapor Pro Combo 7 irons in various build configurations. I told Jeff that this was the line I was interested in hitting. Visually, I think that these are the best looking Nike iron in years, definitely holding its own when compared to other manufactures' offerings in the same category. I wouldn't have said that about last year's Covert Forged. I know lots of guys who played that iron, but I didn't like the big slot in the back.

Anyway, we hit the stock Dynamic Gold Pro in S300 and R300 configurations. Lie board put me at 2° up, so Jeff swapped in the 2-Up and standard heads to be sure that was accurate. I didn't know what I was hitting, I just hit what he handed me. I even hit the Vapor Pro Combo with the Vapor Speed stock lightweight shaft. Gained distance there, but I thought that the feel of that shaft lacked the “richness” of the DG Pro. I guess I now need the club to feel good when it performs well. I'm kind of high maintenance.

Nike Fitting 2015-10.jpg

Jeff and I agreed that the R300 DG Pro gave me the best results. Did it fix my swing woes? Of course not. I can still flip and come OTT with the best of them. The Vapor Pro Combo irons with the R300 did make all of my shots better than my current ones though, both good shots and bad. Those old pants just don't fit any more.

Driver and Woods

Nike Fitting 2015-03.jpg

My main bag concern was my irons, but since I was there, it seemed like a good idea to try the lot. Not like I'm killing the hybrids and fairways these days... I knew that a switch to regular was likely coming here as well.

I started out with the Vapor Speed driver. This was the first time that I have hit this driver, probably since I usually avoid Fubuki shafts. Not sure why, being that I love ninja stars. That shaft and I have just never really gotten along.

I'll tell you what though, that Vapor Speed got the ball out there. Jeff again started tweaking things with the loft and left/right bias, and again things improved. He then handed me the Vapor Pro, my expected fit, and I just didn't have the same results, with accuracy seeming to suffer the most. Then Jeff put the Vapor Pro stock Diamana Blueboard into the Speed head.

Oh my.

This combination for me is ridiculous. So long. So much longer than anything I've hit in months. I took out my SLDR to make sure I wasn't just experiencing a driving the ball miracle, and the SLDR couldn't touch that Nike.

Interesting side bar: Even with that ideal pairing of the head and shaft, Jeff could still tweak the settings and make it awful for me. When it was dialed though, wow.

Nike Fitting 2015-06.jpg

Jeff didn't share much launch monitor data with me, and I didn't ask, but after one bomb his smiling comment was “18° launch and 2500 spin”. I was stunned at how well I hit the ball with the Vapor Speed/Diamana combo. As I said, I'd never even demoed it before. 9.5° + “Left” setting was the magic combination.

Hybrids and woods progressed along the same path, except Jeff put me into the Vapor Flex models since they had the Diamana shaft stock, and adjustable hosels. I hit bad shots with the hybrid initially, then after Jeff wrenched some magic, I worked some magic. I wish I had thought to take a picture showing the center-face impact with the hybrid. I abused the center of that face after Jeff switched it to Left, like the driver, and the difference was astounding.

The 3W took three swings to show that the 15°-Left setting was also ideal. The funny thing is that I don't even know the difference that the Left setting makes. For once, I don't care about the specs. I just want to put them in my bag and hit them over and over.

Here's the secret kicker for the driver and other woods. The Diamana Blueboards were all stiff flexed. I wasn't looking, and Jeff didn't mention that my numbers, and verbal feedback, with the stiff were better than the regular. Maybe this old guy hasn't completely lost his stiffness just yet.

Here are some shots of the final specs for the woods along with the irons. Needless to say, I will be working to fill my bag up with this Nike goodness as soon as possible.

What Did I Learn?

Nike Fitting 2015-01.jpg

1. Custom Fit ≠ Fit Forever

If the body changes over time, so too then should the fit of the body's clubs change over time. I think that anyone who has had a major body change should take a long look at his or her gear. My old pants don't fit, and neither do my irons. It may be the same for you.

2. Practice With Poor Fit ≠ Effective Practice

I've gone through hundreds of balls in the past few months trying to recover my swing, trying desperately to make the fitted clubs fit again. I now truly believe that this was all wasted practice. I was bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Though I have no way to know, practicing as much as I did with the old irons could have actually caused me to groove in some bad habits. Pure speculation, of course, but it seems possible.

3. Lessons Can Help, But Maybe They Can't

This is probably my most significant deviation from my conventional wisdom. In this situation, I don't think that lessons would have been as helpful as new gear. I'm not saying you can buy a game. OK, maybe I am. I had some tips and instruction during my practice and nothing seemed to make a difference. I don't think that it could since my irons were so far off from what I should be playing. I think that I was constantly manipulating myself away from a natural, repeatable swing while I tried to compensate for the too stiff, too heavy irons.

While I was doing the fitting, I overheard someone, maybe a teaching pro, telling a relatively new golfer that he had pretty nice gear already, so instead of buying new gear, he should invest in lessons. I'm not saying that he was wrong, but perhaps incomplete in his assessment. I know that lessons are a critical part of overall golf improvement, and I am very grateful for what I learned from my instructors. I just think that sometimes, the gear could actually be the place to start, and then get the lessons.

One more silly analogy. Imagine that you are 16 and getting ready to take your drivers test. You've been practicing driving in your mom's automatic sedan. On test day though, you find out that you need to take the test in a car with a manual transmission, something you have no clue how to do. Can you practice with a manual, and eventually pass the test? Of course, but wouldn't just driving an automatic make passing the test easier?

4. Local Fitters Have Skills Too

Jeff was amazing. He knew his stuff. He watched me hit balls, and knew right away how to make me better at hitting balls. I'm not going to tell you that my trips to Callaway and PING were anything less than amazing, but you need not go somewhere fancy to get fit. Hit a local demo day. That's what I did, and it was one of my best fitting experiences to date.

5. Nike has Really Good 2015 Gear

Nike Fitting 2015-02.jpg

I am very impressed with Nike's line-up this year. I like that there are obvious choices for the various golfer skill sets. The quality is excellent. The forged Vapor Pro Combo irons have that mythical forged feel when you flush a ball, and feedback when you don't.

I hope that people don't dismiss the Vapor products because of the Volt color. I like the color, but I can see where it could be tough to accept for some. After going through the fitting, and seeing what the Vapor gear can do in my hands, Volt may be my new favorite color. If I break 80 for the first time this summer, I may even change one of my kid's name to Volt.

Follow this LINK to check out all of the Nike Vapor stuff.

See below for my full club specs:

Nike Fitting 2015-12.jpg

Nike Fitting 2015-13.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Vapor Speed with Vapor Pro stock Diamana is a MONSTER

Great Read !!!!!!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

Vapor Speed with Vapor Pro stock Diamana is a MONSTER

It was probably the surprise of the day for me. Just flat out long and on target for me.

Volvo Intorqueo

This has actually inspired me to revisit a fitter.  Before I had ACDF surgery I hit a set of AP2's with R300's and I liked the the way it felt and performed.  Did you get a chance to hit the Wedges ?

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

This has actually inspired me to revisit a fitter.  Before I had ACDF surgery I hit a set of AP2's with R300's and I liked the the way it felt and performed.  Did you get a chance to hit the Wedges ?

I didn't get to hit the wedges. Had to run off to a rugby tournament...

I will hit them at some point though. Maybe at the big golf expo here in town next weekend.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good read, and definitely true about the fact that "fittings aren't forever."

Age, injury, general health changes (good, or bad) are all going to influence what works best at any given time.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Nice article.  Glad that you got your issue identified.  

When I had my fitting in 2013 and got Ping i20 irons and TMag FW/hybrids, they said that the fitting was good for life.  I am not sure what that means.  The fitting was $100 but since I bought clubs, the fee was applied to the purchase.  I guess it means that I can go back when ever I want and go through the process again at no charge.  Of course, I would fully expect all of my specs will be different and I will need new equipment... again!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great read Dave - agree that fittings aren't forever!  Previous iron fitting was in 2012 - standard length/lie (well, 1* up, +1/2' for Mizuno, which is standard for everyone else) with PX 5.5 shafts.  Last fitting in January - 2* flat, standard length with KBC C-Taper.  Next week, might be something completely different.

You'll love the Pro Combos - very, very sweet irons!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

Great read Dave - agree that fittings aren't forever!  Previous iron fitting was in 2012 - standard length/lie (well, 1* up, +1/2' for Mizuno, which is standard for everyone else) with PX 5.5 shafts.  Last fitting in January - 2* flat, standard length with KBC C-Taper.  Next week, might be something completely different.

You'll love the Pro Combos - very, very sweet irons!

Before this, my fittings had always come out about the same in terms of specs, but my body was pretty consistent through those fittings as well.

That's crazy that you had a 3° change in lie angle. Did you shrink 4 inches :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Before this, my fittings had always come out about the same in terms of specs, but my body was pretty consistent through those fittings as well.

ya..... what are you swinging.....a baseball bat ?  hahahhaha

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Just a 2 degree, since Mizuno specs are kinda goofy.  Not sure what changed with my swing over the 3 year period, but 2 separate fitters both recommended around 2 degrees flat.  Maybe I am getting shorter?  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Just a 2 degree, since Mizuno specs are kinda goofy. Not sure what changed with my swing over the 3 year period, but 2 separate fitters both recommended around 2 degrees flat. Maybe I am getting shorter?

Maybe it's the shoes? Tiger switched shoes cause of his swing. Maybe your change in footwear changed yours lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Maybe it's the shoes? Tiger switched shoes cause of his swing. Maybe your change in footwear changed yours lol

Oh No!  Now John will need a set of clubs with different specs for each pair of shoes he wears.  Well, at least now there is justification for buying them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That was a great read.  Thanks for sharing!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Is it strange that I don't even want to play golf until the new sticks arrive :unsure:

Yes it is lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Is it strange that I don't even want to play golf until the new sticks arrive :unsure:

What did Tom Petty say?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

The Gear is Here!

Nike Vapor-24.jpg

After maybe the longest two weeks of my life ;) the Nike Vapor gear from my fitting has arrived. I thought that I would share some of the sexy Volt goodness with you.

The Woods

The Vapor Speed driver and the other Vapor Flex woods are all loaded up with stiff Diamana Blueboard shafts and dialed into the head specs from the fitting.

Vapor Speed Driver

Vapor Collage Driver.jpg

Vapor Flex 3W

Vapor Collage 3W.jpg

Vapor Flex 3H & 4H

Vapor Collage Hybrids.jpg

The Irons

Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4-AW, Dynamic Gold Pro R300, 2° Up. All of the clubs have the GP Tour Wrap grips, built up four wraps.

7 Iron

Vapor Collage 7i.jpg

Pitching Wedge

Vapor Collage PW.jpg

Nike Vapor-26.jpg

Nike Vapor-25.jpg

Now What?

So now that I have the new Nike goodness, what's the next step? Hopefully playing better golf! I did get out for a round with Tim last Friday afternoon and I know right away that the ProCombo irons are going to be amazing this summer. I'm pretty sure that Tim got sick of me gushing about how much I loved the irons.

Nike Vapor-08.jpg

Switching from the DG D300 shafts in my old irons to the DG Pro R300 led to swings that feel much smoother and easier to control. It's tough to describe how nice these irons feel when flushed. I was tagging twitter posts about them with #ForgedButter and that's about as descriptive as need be. Just amazing feel.

Great thing is that I actually hit greens. Maybe 4 or 5 even. That's a nice jump from 0 GIR's over the past 5 rounds. Stuck a 7i tight on the second hole. My "friend" then suggested to TIm that he give me a cigar to smoke because that "that sh*t needs to stop right now". Amazing to open Par Par on holes that have been Double Single for a while.

Anyway, stay tuned. I'll let you know as the summer progresses how the Vapor gear performs. I'm having a bit of an adjustment to the FW and hybrids, blocking, but the driver has already yielded some big shots.

So excited for the season!

Here are some additional shots of the new stuff. Funny side note about the Volt color matching. I have actually had my Nike bag for a few years now (reviewed HERE in December 2012), not ever predicting that it would be the perfect color match to my sticks down the road. Crazy how things work out.

Vapor Collage Head.jpg

Nike Vapor-05.jpg

Nike Vapor-07.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

Glad to hear that you are back swinging the clubs this year.  Sure are nice looking and should work out well for you.  New equipment is always nice!

Nice bag,  

Love the setup...

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

That's some good lookin' shizzit right there.  Those irons and woods look so much better in person and through in-person pictures than they do in the ads.  Hope you hit 'em long, straight and only about 35 times a round....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hey Dave,

What was your SS for your irons.  I know you just got your set, but have you tried to "go after it" yet ? causing a push......

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• 4 weeks later...

Lets hear some Follow up Dave.......