TESTERS WANTED! ×

Snell Golf Introduction: Dean Snell

Hi.  Thanks for allowing me to be part of the MyGolfSpy family.  I have been blessed and fortunate to have been working in golf ball development for the last 25 years at both Titleist and TaylorMade and have had the opportunity to work closely with many top tour players all over the world.  I have been involved in the design and development of many key products that have been used on all tours around the world, including the Titleist Professional, original PROV1, TaylorMade Penta,  TP RED and TP BLACK, Lethal, Tour Preferred and Tour Preferred X.  Recently I started my own company called Snell Golf Inc.. I wont get into too many details about the company here, but if you are interested to learn more, please visit snellgolf.com.  I would like to offer any technical advice or information I can provide related to golf balls, golf ball technology that may help the readers here.  Also have a few pretty cool tour stories I could share.. (of course, some I cannot, haha).. So thanks again, and hope I can be of some help and look forward to seeing whats new in golf, and all the great feedback you guys provide.

Welcome Dean!  Always nice to have an expert aboard.  Looking forward to your insights and whatever stories you can share!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome! Glad to have you. I'm always interested in the opinions and ideas of the creators themselves!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

What a welcome addition to the forums! ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I played with your balls today

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wanna try to rephrase that? Lol

And welcome Dean. Glad to have you join us!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I love your balls

Well this is awkward....

Seriously though, welcome and we are very happy to have you. Apparently people are fond of your balls... Ahem, work.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

welcome

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I am a huge fan of the tour ball.  Used it in a state event last week and was extremely pleased with how it plays.  Great golf ball, have been recommending it to everyone I have played golf with.  Nice to have you here and welcome.

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

Good deal!  Great to have you here!

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I love your balls

Well this is awkward....

Seriously though, welcome and we are very happy to have you. Apparently people are fond of your balls..

A new member of this type lends to doors being wide open for such statements!  Funny, but in all fairness, it's great to have another "small startup" manufacturer on the board to provide insight.

Since you listed so many iterations of brands/models you've been a part of developing, what would you say your new line of golf balls directly compares to from a manufacturer and personal standpoint.  I personally have always loved the TP Red and was peeved when Taylormade discontinued the model (I also played the TP Black often and still have several sleeves left).  Also, what types of innovations/ideas seen in some of the bigger manufacturers do you study carefully in order to collect knowledge/data for determining your own concepts for a golf ball?

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

Welcome Dean!  Thanks for joining our little community!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A new member of this type lends to doors being wide open for such statements!  Funny, but in all fairness, it's great to have another "small startup" manufacturer on the board to provide insight.

Since you listed so many iterations of brands/models you've been a part of developing, what would you say your new line of golf balls directly compares to from a manufacturer and personal standpoint.  I personally have always loved the TP Red and was peeved when Taylormade discontinued the model (I also played the TP Black often and still have several sleeves left).  Also, what types of innovations/ideas seen in some of the bigger manufacturers do you study carefully in order to collect knowledge/data for determining your own concepts for a golf ball?

Golf ball design is interesting.. over the years, we used to only test drivers.. then we moved to drivers and 8 iron.. then progressed to short game spin... today, we are looking at total tee to green performance and study players and shots from driver to 30 yard chips.. I think that golf balls 8 years ago chased distance and gave up on feel.. compression for tour balls creeped up to near 100 just to get distance.. so today, I like to develop new products that keep that distance that is expected, but also try to bring back some feel to the tour ball category.  So we worked hard to get the spin controlled on the long and mid irons to not be too high, and be better into the wind.. but also used the cast urethane soft cover to allow the players to have soft feel, and better control and spin from 100 yards and in.. so unique in a sense to bring back better feel, and not lose any distance or performance.    I think that every golf company today makes good products... I like to talk to players, see what they like and dislike, then create golf balls around that feedback.  

Welcome! Seems you've had a hand or two in developing some of my favorites. Can't wait to try the Snell ball itself.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I have been very fortunate to work at both Titleist and TaylorMade and work close with many top tour players.. lot of them are still good friends of mine.. these guys are the best to work with when it comes to looking for specific things in performance of golf balls.. some of them are true feel players, some are trajectory players, some short game wizards.. so I would always like to go see several players during a proto phase to hear comments from each one, then make new designs, go back to see them. etc... finally, a great product that they helped in design and feedback.. them playing the tour balls on tour and winnning is the validation of the product from an R&D guys point of view.

How about for us ordinary Joe's Dean?  How do you go about designing a ball for us guys?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How about for us ordinary Joe's Dean? How do you go about designing a ball for us guys?

Along those lines: do you agree with how one major OEM markets their tour level balls towards amateurs? I can't count how many times I've stepped off the fairway for a little mid-round relief to find a certain ball by the tree near my feet.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

I think that the ordinary Joe can tend to choose a golf ball based on several reasons.. some feel that they are not good enough to play tour type golf balls.. some feel they are too expensive and will only lose them so buy cheaper balls.. some think they have to pick based on compression cause dont hit it hard enough to play tour balls.. when actually, every golf can benefit from tour type balls... we have developed golf balls that have the same spin off the driver, not matter what the  ball type is...so tour balls and 2pc balls all have similar spin off drivers which is why they all tend to go the same distance... where the balls are truly different is from 100 yards and in...tour golf balls can have twice the spin as some 2pc balls, and make it easier to control the shot and stop closer to the flag.. average golfers can miss 16 or  17 greens a round... so if you think about it, this means they are effectively playing 16 or 17 short par threes.. so you would want a ball that has more spin around the green to help stop closer and maybe save a few putts... We we test average players, we typically want to gather from 150 yards and in, where most of the golf is played, and have the best chance to reduce your scores...i would recommend to everyone to truly test the golf balls from this 100 yards and in... hit several shots with tour balls and 2-pc balls.. chips, putts, etc... and you will see the performance difference... if you like one over the other, then play that ball... if you cannot really tell a difference, then buy the cheapest one...

I am fairly new to these types of on line forums.. so if I can be of any help to the readers and answer any technology questions (best I can), I would be happy to do so.. will try to log on daily and answer as many as I can... and if someone does start a new topic, please shoot me a message on where it is started and I will find it and respond to your questions... Not trying to sell Snell Golf balls in this new topic, but in fact help readers with any questions they may have on golf ball technology as a whole...thanks

dean.

Dean, I am out on my back porch enjoying a cigar and had some time to poke around your website. Simple to use, loved the videos. I'm from New England (CT) so your Ma twang shouted Jim Calhoun to me. Go Huskies!

At any rate there is a wonderful member review of your My Tour balls. I'm sold on trying them and will Order one of your sample packs after I finish this smoke. I will slip the two sleeves of the other balls to two good friends who regularly play that ball type.

Thanks!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Order placed, easy peesy, can't wait to take them out for a spin and make a couple of good friends happy with their "gift" sleeves.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Order placed, easy peesy, can't wait to take them out for a spin and make a couple of good friends happy with their "gift" sleeves.

Bringing a couple of sleeves with me to Rhode Island tonight -- gonna share with my boss and a couple of old goffin' buddies.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I do have a ball question. Sometimes I hear an add that just makes no sense. I'm constantly hearing one about wanting a ball that flies long and is soft and now it's finally here, blah, blah, blah.

Wasn't that the point of the Pro VI? Isn't that the point of every tour ball really? They are all smart in that they are long off the driver and soft around the green. I don't get the point of the commercial.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I do have a ball question. Sometimes I hear an add that just makes no sense. I'm constantly hearing one about wanting a ball that flies long and is soft and now it's finally here, blah, blah, blah.

Wasn't that the point of the Pro VI? Isn't that the point of every tour ball really? They are all smart in that they are long off the driver and soft around the green. I don't get the point of the commercial.

You been watching Golf Channel Rev? Been bombarded this morning with Kick X commercials  :unsure:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Alittle history here. Remember when tour balls used to be Tour Balata. They were very soft,low compression balls with soft balata covers and wound thread. Then the wound thread disappeared around 1999. Tour balls became solid multilayered balls and the compressions and feel went way up. In fact most tour balls around 2000 were around 100 compression and had firm feel to chase longer distances. So this became the norm in early 2000. Gradually manufacturers are trying to bring back the feel. And it is happening. Tour balls are getting into the high 70 and low 80 compressions again. But we had to step this feel back slowly. If we have all that distance in 2000 over the wound ball and the feel went up drastically, we could not make them real soft years after cause the players would think softer is shorter again. So we slowly stepped feel back into the tour balls. Technology has also allowed us to make cores very soft and low compression without losing ball speed. This is a huge advancement over cores of the past.

Archived