TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite driver in recent history

So, looking back through all of the clubs that I've been through in the passed 5 years (and I can assure you that it's been way too many), I got to thinking: "What's the best driver(s) I've played?"

I can honestly say that there are a few clubs that really stand out to me.. I'll post them below and I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions.

Taylormade Superfast TP -- I should've never gotten rid of this club.. I honestly think it might be the best driver I've ever hit.

Adams 9015D -- This was the low spin machine before low spin became a thing. Maybe the best overall appearance and sound of any driver I've ever hit. Oh and it was stupid long too!

Tour Issue 2007 Burner "B" stamp -- This one speaks for itself. It's currently sitting and my garage and just writing this post makes me want to go shaft it up. I may do that tonight!

Let's hear about your favorite drivers from recent times!

Superfast 2.0 V2 LCG... 44 attempts to replace it and it's still in the bag... Been through a few shaft changes but it's still my gamer...

I'd have to think about others

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

There is no best driver, and I've hit them all.  I really enjoy the MGS Most Wanted test, but I would be willing to bet that if I were a tester, all of the drivers (after the proper fitting adjustments of course) would be within my margin of uncertainty.   Sure, some feel better than others, but performance... nope!

That said, I will stick with my SLDR for now because it feels the best, and I can hit a variety of shots with it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well as usual I am the odd man out I love my Hathaway now 4 years old. And I ain't as closed minded as some think I am I do hit other drivers and try them. I do like the R-11 if I could get a shaft flex matched like mine. I also like the Jetspeed I would have to super tune it for me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

There is no best driver, and I've hit them all. I really enjoy the MGS Most Wanted test, but I would be willing to bet that if I were a tester, all of the drivers (after the proper fitting adjustments of course) would be within my margin of uncertainty. Sure, some feel better than others, but performance... nope!

That said, I will stick with my SLDR for now because it feels the best, and I can hit a variety of shots with it.

Sorry.. I should have worded my title differently.

What it should've said is favorite driver in recent history..

For me it's my SLDR but I'm lusting after a G30 at the moment. Just gotta save enough to get me one.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

My Taylormade Rocketballz was to me the first driver I could hit really well and really far. I've owned the Taylormade Firesole, Taylormade R7 cbg max, Wilson Spine, the ping G10, Cobra S9-1, Cobra ZL, Rocketballz, R11  Right now, my Touredge XCG7 is the best driver I've ever hit. I actually just bought an XCG7 beta head. I'm going to compare them both and see which one I like best.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Well this isn't exactly recent equipment but the best my driver has ever been was with my titleist 905s. I used to hit some absolute nukes with that thing. Didn't miss many fairways either. I got rid of it in 2012 and have been a driver ho ever since. Ah that thing was nice... And man I'm dumb for tinkering haha

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Ping i15!

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

For me its my current SLDR and it's not even close.

I've had two other drivers in my golfing history that I prefered to it but neither is recent.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My current Adams Superfast 12LS. It's been with me for 2 seasons and still can't find anything to kick it out.

Went through Rapture V2, Nike Machspeed, TM Superfast, TM R11, TM RBZ, Cobra S3? I think that's it...

I'm now twinkering with an Adams Super LS to see if I can squeeze more peformance out of it.

The problem is, both Adams drivers are not very forgiving. But they are the only ones that can bring down my spin rates. I know it's contradictory... but I wish there were shallow faced drivers with lower spin :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

For me my favorite driver is my current, Callaway x2hot pro, this is not the longest driver I have played bit it is by far the most accurate driver I have ever played, the only one close to this one was the TM R9

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Sorry.. I should have worded my title differently.

What it should've said is favorite driver in recent history..

I read the title but I focused on the first paragraph of your post.  Sorry.  So, I guess my favorite is still the SLDR based on feel only.  I think the best driver is The Holy Grail!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think the best driver is The Holy Grail!

Why do you think it's a holy grail?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Why do you think it's a holy grail?

Why do golfers find a driver that gives great numbers and feels good, then dumps it in a year or so (sometimes less) for the next latest and greatest?  Some on this forum have even said that they wished they still had their old .  People want the newest and most high tech driver on the market.  I get that.  But most are looking for that magical driver that gives them 10-20 more yards, or keeps them in the fairway no matter what their swing looks like.  

I used to be one that wanted both; more yards and laser straight drives.  Lessons helped with the straight part, but creeping old age has me wanting my old distance back.  I know it is probably only going to get worse, but I seriously want that next technological breakthrough that magically takes 20 years off my swing.  

You know i've only been playing a few years. So I have really only had four drivers that I have played more than 2 rounds with. That being said, the R7 I got off the used rack at Golfsmith for $14 still holds a great place in my heart. But I have the most and fondest memories with my R-11s. There are days I wish it was still around and in the place of my Covert in the bag. 

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

I have gone back and forth over the last year hitting both my SLDR and my JetSpeed driver with a magnitude of shafts.  Presently, I am starting off the year with the JetSpeed for the simple reason that it is easier to hit, more forgiving and goes forever.  

My SLDR 460 while some of the shots and drives I have hit with it are insanely long, I think that the JS hangs with it.

I have been banging the drum since it was released - the JETSPEED product line was fantastic - they screwed the pooch with the advertising.  The line didn't look flashy and therefore it didn't sell.  Sex Sells.  The Jetspeed I feel is the best OVERALL driver that TMAG has come out with in years (SLDR was sexier and maybe a little longer but for the masses the JetSpeed was the better driver) - I also think that the Hybrid was one of the best Hybrids in recent memory (with the correct shaft - I have a BlackTime 95 in mine).  The fairway wood was a fail for me because of the closed face.  

Currently I am trying to figure out if I stick with either my Matrix RedTie 6Q3 or my Accra CS170 in the JetSpeed.  The Redtie seems to be a little longer the Accra seems to be a little tighter.  My JetSpeed is a 9.5 set two clicks to lower

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Cobra LD; Powerbilt AFO WMD; Cobra Bio Cell; Powerbilt AFO DFX; ......ummmmm.....Still Looking!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

For me the best driver of the past few years isn't even a driver.  I LOVE me some Callaway X2Hot 2 Deep.  12.5 degrees worth of bombing!   

The Vapor Pro and Wilson D200 are both very, very good for me -- but when things go sideways I can always rely on the 2 Deep...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well this isn't exactly recent equipment but the best my driver has ever been was with my titleist 905s. I used to hit some absolute nukes with that thing. Didn't miss many fairways either. I got rid of it in 2012 and have been a driver ho ever since. Ah that thing was nice... And man I'm dumb for tinkering haha

I still have my 905s, but technology has passed her by just like she passed my 975D by.  I really like that driver, but I am hitting a Nike VRTour (one of the first ones) and I hit it well.  Longer than the 905s.  Really like it too.  We all stray, I think, when we see our buddies getting longer and we're not. 

That's what led me to a fiasco with an XCG7 Beta.  All I could do is hit it right unless I slowed my swing way down.  Even when I didn't it wasn't as long as my Nike.  Head feels solid, but the shaft is just wrong for me I think.  Once I decide whether I want to tinker with a different shaft in it, it may hit the classified section. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I still have my 905s, but technology has passed her by just like she passed my 975D by.  I really like that driver, but I am hitting a Nike VRTour (one of the first ones) and I hit it well.  Longer than the 905s.  Really like it too.  We all stray, I think, when we see our buddies getting longer and we're not. 

That's what led me to a fiasco with an XCG7 Beta.  All I could do is hit it right unless I slowed my swing way down.  Even when I didn't it wasn't as long as my Nike.  Head feels solid, but the shaft is just wrong for me I think.  Once I decide whether I want to tinker with a different shaft in it, it may hit the classified section. 

No doubt! I had some friends that were catching up to me and I wasn't going to have any of it LOL

TM Jetspeed

It's just long and fairly easy to work.

The old 975d was the biggest game changer for me, when I went from real wood to metal.

Yes youngsters, woods are called woods because back in the day before play station and digital clocks, we really used persimmons wood clubs

Like beautiful old Hogans in jet black, yummmm.

That was a really good feeling to pure one of those old antiques...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

TM Jetspeed

It's just long and fairly easy to work.

The old 975d was the biggest game changer for me, when I went from real wood to metal.

Yes youngsters, woods are called woods because back in the day before play station and digital clocks, we really used persimmons wood clubs

Like beautiful old Hogans in jet black, yummmm.

That was a really good feeling to pure one of those old antiques...

Just remember to hit it between the screws and not on them ;)

Just remember to hit it between the screws and not on them ;)

Bringing back memories of my first "real" driver - a beautiful McGregor Tourney.  Back them you bought them in a "set," with matching 3 and 5 woods.

"Misty, water-colored memories...."

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Sluggo Barbajo Guess what? I still hit the old persimmons from time to time because I do play some vintage golf (see my profile) I will tell you first hand you have to slow it down on your tempo some to hit the old persimmons and in fact when I seriously practice I take along some of the persimmons to slow my tempo down. In fact if I play certain courses that require a soft draw off the tee I will slide that old Penna persimmon in the bag because I can still hit a draw at about 225 230 yards or so with it. Normally I carry only 13 clubs so that leaves a slot open for another option

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Even though I'm only 26 I had quite some experience with the persimmon heads. My dad gave up playing seriously around the early 2000s but I played persimmons just like he did up until that point. He hated the metal driver heads and still does. He refuses to play a graphite shaft as well lol. He says they feel too whippy haha even the rebar stuff in my bag. He probably plays about once a year now which sucks because I would love to play with him. The old guy could prolly still move the ball out there if he practiced for a few months. I definitely got my clubhead speed from him but h creates his differently than I do mine. Its a little easier to create torque when your 6'6" and 250lbs. I didn't get the same size advantage at only 6'1". Maybe I can get him back into it one of these days.

Undershooter I am glad to know I was not the only one playing persimmon into this century. I played persimmon up until about 01 or so even played comp on the minis. My last persimmon which I still play in my vintage set is a Penna with a Aldila HM-55 graphite and that is the one I referred to in my previous post that I sub in every now and then

G

If I had to answer this last year it would have been a toss up between the Callaway Optiforce 440 or the BB Alpha...then I hit the Bio Cell + this year and it is a winner.  It is a bit shorter than the other two but is just a fairway finder and easy to shape in anyway that I want to.  I have never had one Cobra club in my bag ever and if it was not for the pro at my local shop I never would have given it a go, but so far I am liking it.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Archived