Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

My game

revkev

There is a great variance in my golf game depending upon how much time I have to practice and play as well as how muc stress I'm under.

Generally speaking I play a lot of golf from June through Thanksgiving. Once I get to late August, early September I will get my handicap index down below 2 very frequently and keep it there for a month or so. I get upset if I fail to break 75.

Then there's the rest of the year. I can play reasonable golf through December and January but once Lent hits it's over. I get to where I'm fortunate to break 80 in part because I'm so worn out that I have trouble focusing for a full round. While I'm hitting lots of good shots right now I'm in that mode for sure. Honestly the few good rounds that I've had the last month to six weeks have come on easy courses where I could get away with some loose shots.

BTW the lack of focus issue has really gotten worse the last few years.

I can play golf year round but I'm a different golfer late summer/fall than the guy who swings my clubs the rest of the year. How about you guys? Do you have similar issues?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I usually play better in warmer weather and when the greens are in good shape. Putting is such an intregal part of my game. I think also with age we are not as flexable as we once were and the cooler weather plays a big part in it for me. Here in November I start to back off some and do not play many rounds but will try to hit a few balls either at the range or into my net to stay at least halfway flexable. December like you I have a lot of church duties with all the services on the sound board and the Christmas live Nativity scene. In the past few years it has been rainy and cold in January and Feburary. I think what affects me mostly in cooler weather as I have aged I have lost my feel and I am strictly a feel and instinct player. When I loose my feel I loose it all

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I usually play poorly the week after I play pretty well... Any time of the year. Seriously, though my game is up and down all year long. The summers are hot >100 most days, so that can take its toll over 18 holes. The winters can be bitterly cold, but normally 20-40* and I play most days. It's a different game in the cold and maybe I play well then because I don't have big expectations. Since we don't post scores then, it's not high pressure to do a good job. So, spring and fall are the best times weather wise to really post good numbers. I came off my week long golf trip and did pretty well. This week I am playing like a bogey golfer (sorry Bogey) :) But I know that when I go to north Idaho on Friday, I will probably play pretty well again on a course that I have never played before. I tend to focus better when I play an unknown course than a familiar course. That's one of the reasons I like to travel for golf rather than play at a CC all the time.

So, the sum up my game... I am consistently inconsistent.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have taken a few long breaks from golf. 1 year freshman year of college, then junior year I didn't play for months. From September- January I played all of 3-4 times. Now that I've settled into work, I play twice a week. My best performances come during the summer when it's warm, sticky and I could play till nearly 9 PM. Now that I've moved, I played a few times in winter but the prices here were outrageous because the weather is so great. 

Usually by mid July I'm nearing a 12 handicap, where I usually start around a 15ish in March. Winter kills my scores as I am much shorter with the drives and don't putt well at all. I'm hoping to get it down this summer but so far it's not looked too great. Right about now is where I'd start playing more consistently and it really hasn't clicked yet.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Early this year I got my index down to 4.5 and I was shooting mid 70's rounds twice a week and my other rounds were 80 or 82 max.  I thought bewdy I have achieved my goal of regular rounds in the 70's and getting down to scratch seemed like an achievable goal.  Then I seemed to hit a wall and the old index started heading north inexorably higher every week, albeit at a somewhat glacial pace. 

All I've ever wanted was to regularly shoot in the 70's to me that is good golf.  I don't care if it is 79 or 70 if it's in that range I am happy.  I've crept out to 7.9 and with a home course slope rating of 123 that puts me off 9 for my daily handicap - mygawd that's nearly 10.  Talk about depressing.  I have a tendency to tinker with my swing which doesn't help and now I figured while I'm in this funk I'm going to sort out some issues that have plagued me for some time.  That includes forearm rotation in the back swing.  I have picked up a bad habit limiting the amount of forearm rotation in my backswing trying to keep everything square - I imagine it's like the square to square method that I see advertised on the net.  Any way that's the ongoing mission.

In short Revkev, I do have similar issues lol.  Sorry about the waffle.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Sadly winter is starting for you too, but the good news is my son will be heading your way shortly.  The sad news is he'll be trolling the Indian Ocean in a sub.  :(

I figured I wasn't alone in this - for me it takes lots of work to play good golf and when I don't have the time my game suffers.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am with you Rev,    my game fluctuates seasonally and i am playing year 'round.   Summer Handicap is 13-15 then about it climbs to 19-20 during the winter.  Then gradually back down the next year.  This has been the cycle of life for mr for the past 4 years.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

The more I'm able to play, the better I generally play, but round to round scoring will still fluctuate and there's always the possibility of a "blow up" hole wrecking an overall good round.

I suspect, that's always going to be the case.

But that won't stop me from trying - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Early this year I got my index down to 4.5 and I was shooting mid 70's rounds twice a week and my other rounds were 80 or 82 max. I thought bewdy I have achieved my goal of regular rounds in the 70's and getting down to scratch seemed like an achievable goal. Then I seemed to hit a wall and the old index started heading north inexorably higher every week, albeit at a somewhat glacial pace.

All I've ever wanted was to regularly shoot in the 70's to me that is good golf. I don't care if it is 79 or 70 if it's in that range I am happy. I've crept out to 7.9 and with a home course slope rating of 123 that puts me off 9 for my daily handicap - mygawd that's nearly 10. Talk about depressing. I have a tendency to tinker with my swing which doesn't help and now I figured while I'm in this funk I'm going to sort out some issues that have plagued me for some time. That includes forearm rotation in the back swing. I have picked up a bad habit limiting the amount of forearm rotation in my backswing trying to keep everything square - I imagine it's like the square to square method that I see advertised on the net. Any way that's the ongoing mission.

In short Revkev, I do have similar issues lol. Sorry about the waffle.

7.9 slope 123 you play off of 8, but I feel your pain I was at 5.7 now I'm up at 7, hopefully no higher and then as the year goes on try to get it to come back, I feel like the game is close a couple shots here or there

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Do any of you get concerned that it won't come back? So far I've always been able to get it back but the day has to come. All this lifting of my daughter with my wife down is wearing me out.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Do any of you get concerned that it won't come back? So far I've always been able to get it back but the day has to come. All this lifting of my daughter with my wife down is wearing me out.

Every day - lol

Seriously, I have to work harder every year to play reasonably well.  I started playing after 50, so my goal when I started taking lessons a few years ago was just to be able to play socially, without embarrasing myself.

Given our short playing season, every spring was like starting over.  In order to continue to play bogey golf, I setup an indoor practice area in my shop with free weights, a stationary bike, a "push/pull" exerciser and an "Explaner" swing trainer.

If nothing else, it keeps me in better shape than I would be, spending the winters on the couch watching Law & Order re-runs - lol 

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

The longer I play this game the more I learn that tension and stress are killers of this game.  It affects you physically (tightness, restricted movement) as well as mentally (lack of focus, difficulty concentrating). 

Its been really stressful at work for the last few months.  I didn't notice too much difference when I was practicing because its a different type of focus.  But playing, its really affecting me.  I can't get out of the high and mid 80's.  Hitting it square but the ball is going all over the place and can't seem to get it into the hole.  I found that I was doing a lot better on our cocktail nines after our morning games.  Then the blisters came on the hands.  And then it hit me - this was all coming back to stress and tension.  While I cannot remove the source of stress I can be mindful of it and do some things on the course to minimize effect.  Breathing, stretching etc.  Guess what I am trying to say here is that what's going on in your life is coming to the golf course with you whether you want it to or not.  So, Rev no surprise about when you are playing best.

As for time of year, fall is usually when I am playing best.  After playing a full season I am at my best.  And I love fall as well so that helps.

I never worry about whether its going to come back.  Its going to come back, its just a matter of when.  It always has.  And I have played enough not to panic.

What does concern me is that at some point, I am going to have to adapt my game to new physical reality (read: age).  At some point, I am not going to be able to do the things I can now.  If I am stubborn (and I tend to be stubborn)  about still trying to do them then my game is going to suffer.  If I am able to recognize it and adapt I will be fine.  Kind of like a pitcher getting older and learning how to pitch because he cannot just blow pitches past guys when he needs to. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Mike your comments truly resonated with me. It was funny, I got home and my wife asked how My day went. I told here great, I played so poorly that I forgot all about the stress at work. :)

Sadly it's true, back to back rounds in the 80's for me. I was 1 over in the middle of the fairway @100 yards on number 8 when it all started to unravel. I made double without even hitting that bad an approach shot. Doubled the next hole and a 37 became a 41 which I followed up with a smooth little 42 on the back that included three balls in the water.

I'm in a funk where I can't seem to score.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am able to play in any season. I am not trying to sound cool or anything. I just play the same. At least my scores are consistent in that aspect.

I do struggle with practicing and it not show up on the course. I know some folks that will not pick a club up if it is cold. Cold as in south Georgia cold. LOL!

I do always play one side better than the other at my home course. I have yet to figure that out.

In the bag!

Driver: 9.5 Taylormade Burner (2007) Stiff shaft

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha

Maxfli Irons 4-A

S wedge: 56 degree Vokey

L wedge : 60 degree Cleveland

Putter : Ping Anser

Srixon Z star for stroke play

Srixon z star and Marathon for scrambles

Just got my Handicap notice.......it has started dropping.....from 20.5 to 17.9....WooHoo!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived