Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How does the Slope system work in the US

mizuno_lover

I'm asking this question because there was a comment in another thread and I didn't want to hijack the that topic. 

Here my home course off the white tees has a slope of 123.  That is then calculated by multiplying my handicap by the slope and then dividing by 113 the supposed neutral slope ie 123 x 7.9 = 971.7 divided by 113 = 8.59 which puts me off 9 for my daily handicap.

Is it the same in the US?  Or any other countries represented here?

Just noticed doing the arithmetic that there is no divide symbol on the blasted keyboard!

As a point of interest our handicaps are taken from the best eight of our last 20 games and multiplied by .93  Meaning our handicaps can go out or down on a daily basis.  I believe in the States yours are done fortnightly or monthly?

Cheers

Greg

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

There's several things you are asking and I'll try to sort through them.

The formula you use for "slope" is similar to course handicap. Here's how it works: You take your *adjusted score and subtract the course rating. Then you divide it by 113. Then it's multiplied by the slope rating.  As a side note, adjusted scores contain a maximum per hole stroke allowance. So since my course handicap is around 15ish on the course I play, the most I can score is 7 per hole. So an 8 on a par 5 goes down as a 7 for your adjusted score. 

That hole process is your handicap differential... and is for the 18 holes you played.

The handicap system counts the 10 best of 20 differentials played under normal conditions .Tournaments add another layer of confusion. Tournaments count year round but you must post two tournament scores for it to affect your handicap. Looking over the USGS rules, if you have two tournament scores that are 3.0 strokes lower than your handicap index, then they would replace those rounds in your handicap and count towards your overall handicap index. If you have less than two or they are within 3 strokes, the handicap remains your ten best. That's your handicap index.

The US handicap index updates I believe every two weeks-- during the individual states golf season. Florida and other states are year round, while NJ for instance ends the 1st of November and starts back up in March. You cannot post a score from the offseason if I'm not mistaken.

Our number is .96 to multiply by your 10 best handicapped index to get your overall handicap. 

At least that's what the USGS website says.

You cant ind the link here: http://usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/

/My head hurts

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Wow thanks for the detailed reply Sportsfan, my head hurts now too LoL.

Same, same but different I guess.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

The one thing he didn't add is that ours do update every other week. I believe that's a fortnight? Correct?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just use the Ghin app, enter the HCP index, set the slope to whatever it is and hit go, it tells you what the course Hcp is based on the info entered.

The Grint does the same thing I guess...that's what I use.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The one thing he didn't add is that ours do update every other week. I believe that's a fortnight? Correct?

Fortnight is every two weeks. I mentioned it, but understand if you missed it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'm asking this question because there was a comment in another thread and I didn't want to hijack the that topic. 

Here my home course off the white tees has a slope of 123.  That is then calculated by multiplying my handicap by the slope and then dividing by 113 the supposed neutral slope ie 123 x 7.9 = 971.7 divided by 113 = 8.59 which puts me off 9 for my daily handicap.

Is it the same in the US?  Or any other countries represented here?

Just noticed doing the arithmetic that there is no divide symbol on the blasted keyboard!

As a point of interest our handicaps are taken from the best eight of our last 20 games and multiplied by .93  Meaning our handicaps can go out or down on a daily basis.  I believe in the States yours are done fortnightly or monthly?

Cheers

Greg

÷

If you have MS Word, go to "Insert" and select "Symbol".  Should be listed there.  then copy and paste it to any application like I did here.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Thanks for that High Fade.

My Bag

Thanks Blade I was never great at algebra either but that's a handy one to know.

My Bag

Archived