TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mini Drivers

Mr_Theoo

Well the Big Bertha Mini is now official, so the question must be asked is this a new trend we will start seeing from the other companies. Or is this just a niche' club that Tmag and Cally are trying to tap into?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well the Big Bertha Mini is now official, so the question must be asked is this a new trend we will start seeing from the other companies. Or is this just a niche' club that Tmag and Cally are trying to tap into?

Well I dunno about the cally but I love the Tmag offering in last year's SLDR mini. It's my new(2-3 months) fairway wood and it isn't going anywhere.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Personally I think it is a niche thing. They will cash in on it for a while and then it will die out. It amazies me sometimes. I was in Golfsmith the other day with a friend of mine and saw a couple of TMag drivers not the SLDR but the one that looks like it with out the slider thing. A few months ago those drivers were in the $300 $400 range and those were being priced used for $55 with the shafts in them that was about the used pullout price for those respective shafts. I also saw a Rocketballs used driver for around the same price started to buy it for the shaft but my driver is still hitting good and I do not need to be jacking with it. I have seriously thought about pulling one of the ancient Big Berthas I have laying around and reshafting it with a more modern shaft but right now I have too many experimental projects laying around and I am in the mode to play golf anyhow. Yep honestly I think it is one of those fads that will die out

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Game a Callaway X2Hot 2Deep -- 12.5 degree "mini-driver." Hell, it's basically a 2-wood.  As reliable of a club as I own.  Not terribly hard to hit off the deck, but it's great off the tee.  I'm having serious driver issues right now, so It's going back in the bag for tomorrow's tourney.  

Biggest difference I guess between the 2Deep and the new Bertha is the new Bertha appears to be adjustable? That should make it even more versatile.  

Also have in my collection a 13.5* 3-wood that's adjustable down to 12.5*.  Don't like the stock shaft that's in it -- may see about finding something new and seeing what that does. 

Small headed clubs off the tee? What is this, 1993?

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I might try one. Going to a demo day tomorrow but I agree, I think it's basically a 2 wood. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Mini drivers are a dream off the tee, very easy to hit off the deck, but the reason why I don't have one in the bag is due to the intermediate cut or any rough at all. If your ball isn't in a perfect lie, good luck keeping it in the air for awhile. Low, Charlie huff knuckle balls that run like a deer will be all you get. Love the idea but because they're so low spin, makes them uber difficult if you get any grass between the club face and ball.

Small headed clubs off the tee? What is this, 1993?

Barbajo,

I played a three deep when they first came out for exactly one round. Got it specifically for one hole at my old course where I needed something less than driver due to a creek in the fairway. Well first swing, right into the creek at about 280 out... Hit another one, smoked it into the creek on the fly. Experiment over haha!

I have a bag full of my old titleist drivers, almost every model from 976r and 975d to current. Would love to see one of them stacked up against a three wood of today!

Mini drivers are a dream off the tee, very easy to hit off the deck, but the reason why I don't have one in the bag is due to the intermediate cut or any rough at all. If your ball isn't in a perfect lie, good luck keeping it in the air for awhile. Low, Charlie huff knuckle balls that run like a deer will be all you get. Love the idea but because they're so low spin, makes them uber difficult if you get any grass between the club face and ball.

Bingo. Exact reason that the X2 Hot 3 deep is not in the bag. I can hit my Adams XTD from anywhere and it is just as long as the mini drivers for me.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I've been so in and out with my driver all season - bombing it one day and barely keeping it in play the next.  I'm usually almost as long with the 2Deep (and for the courses I play, plenty long enough-usually), but almost always findable. For some reason, I feel as though I'm able to control the club head more with the 2Deep and keep from "the big miss."

Going to play Troy Burne in Hudson, WI tomorrow for a Hack To Jack tourney - will bring it along and decide whether to bag it or the driver while on the range.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Apprenti Sometimes I like those low knuckleballs that run like they stole something especially here in the wind. That is why I carry a modified KZG 2iron. Actually it is not really modified it checked out at 17* straight out of the package and I did not bend it none. I use it off the tee on certain holes and like you said in light rough. It actually does better for me than my 13* 3 wood

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Long story short: most handicap golfers would be better off with drivers with more loft and shorter shafts. The mini driver fashion trend seems to fit into this role and the results seems to speak for themselves. 

Long story short: most handicap golfers would be better off with drivers with more loft and shorter shafts. The mini driver fashion trend seems to fit into this role and the results seems to speak for themselves. 

Bingo.  What some folks are calling a "mini" driver or 2-wood were our drivers back in the late 80's early 90's  The OEM's have created a 46" 460cc monster that a lot of people struggle with....and can now sell a "mini" to those folks.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I bought one last year and played with it for a month before taking it out of the bag.  My course has three holes where a full out driver can get one into trouble.  The club was great, but I found it was just as easy to hit a 3/4 driver to stay short of the trouble.  

I question whether I have the club head speed to benefit from this offering. Having written that I think it definitely has a place that's ore than a fad.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The Mini driver is a niche club you always see around the masters. Easy to hit off the tee... But pointless because they're no easier to hit than a driver.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have a hard time looking down at a 400+ cc driver and then a mini driver and then say the MD is more forgiving.

My misses are misses. I'm going to miss with a Mini Driver just as bad as I'm going to miss with a real driver. The problem is- do I want to be 30 yards closer to the green or 30 yards further when I miss?

I have a hard time looking down at a 400+ cc driver and then a mini driver and then say the MD is more forgiving.

My misses are misses. I'm going to miss with a Mini Driver just as bad as I'm going to miss with a real driver. The problem is- do I want to be 30 yards closer to the green or 30 yards further when I miss?

With the forgiveness in the larger head drivers of today, you're not in any worse shape than you would be with a fairway, just closer to the green like you said.  I had a SLDR Mini and a Cleveland Unicorn (HiBore 2 wood)... The SLDR had promise but it wasn't as long as my SLDR TS or my SQ 13* spoons.  And I hit them just as straight but they're easier to hit out of worse lies.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The way I hit my driver Friday im sure it was the head. It couldn't possibly have been me. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived