TESTERS WANTED! ×

Move Over Sir Charles

JohnBarry

Move over I say, you may have a bad swing, but I can beat it! Hank, you need to do a show on me.

Allow me to shine some light on this. About a year and a half about, feed up with my misses as a right hander being the big slice, I started working on getting the ball away from the right side. Some how, the big hook has made it's way in, but not like you would think.

My practice swings look fine, and my wedge play is great, but put any other club in my hand, and the mental game is on! Charles pauses, I re-grip with my left hand, shut the club face, making it impossible to get the face square or open at impact.

If I had a dollar everytime someone said " hey just stop re-gripping the club before you swing." Don't you think I know that, it's 100% some mental tick and it has killed my game. Hank Haney help me!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Ha!

Thank you, Captain Obvious.  I'll also hole more putts to improve my score.  Good tip....

Seriously, I learned a valuable lesson a few years back.  I played a small fade for the longest time.  I aimed up the left side and allowed for a fade.  BOOM.  Middle of the fairway every time.  For some stupid reason I decided to start drawing the ball.  Worst thing I ever did.  It took 3 years to realize I should be playing my natural shot.  Alas, my scores went back down.

Swing your swing.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

It's all mental with me, somehow someway that re-grip is there and not going away. Clubs like a driver or long irons are impossible. I played my last 18 in Pinehurst with only my 8 iron, my 62 degree wedge and my putter and played a big draw and shot a much better score, almost 14 strokes lower.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

It's all mental with me, somehow someway that re-grip is there and not going away. Clubs like a driver or long irons are impossible. I played my last 18 in Pinehurst with only my 8 iron, my 62 degree wedge and my putter and played a big draw and shot a much better score, almost 14 strokes lower.

That's a smart way to go until you sort it out though. I once told a guy who shoots 110-115, who has never broken 100, so clearly sprays the ball all over the place, to take nothing over a 7 iron, quit trying to impress people with "tour issue" stuff he can't be effective with and just play. Sadly, his ego was way too big to even consider trying it.

One question, are you re-gripping before you take the club away or at the top? I used to let my grip get a little loose and would re-grip on the way down which would ratchet the club to a closed position comared to what it was at address. I trained myself to firm up my left hand grip a bit more to stop that. You may be doing something entirely different though.

That's a smart way to go until you sort it out though. I once told a guy who shoots 110-115, who has never broken 100, so clearly sprays the ball all over the place, to take nothing over a 7 iron, quit trying to impress people with "tour issue" stuff he can't be effective with and just play. Sadly, his ego was way too big to even consider trying it.

One question, are you re-gripping before you take the club away or at the top? I used to let my grip get a little loose and would re-grip on the way down which would ratchet the club to a closed position comared to what it was at address. I trained myself to firm up my left hand grip a bit more to stop that. You may be doing something entirely different though.

Why do you care what he plays and what he has shot and hasn't shot?

I have enough of a problem trying to figure out my own game.. Definitely don't have time to be trying to figure someone else's out.

real talk

Why do you care what he plays and what he has shot and hasn't shot?

I have enough of a problem trying to figure out my own game.. Definitely don't have time to be trying to figure someone else's out.

real talk

We try to help each other out. That's why we're all on this forum.

If you don't care about anyone else, why are you here?

Real talk

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Real talk

Issues with the game should be taken to professionals. If you break a bone, you don't ask a buddy for help. You go to the doctor. As nice as blade's intentions are, it's a little presumptuous for him to say the other guy's game would improve with fewer clubs.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Issues with the game should be taken to professionals. If you break a bone, you don't ask a buddy for help. You go to the doctor. As nice as blade's intentions are, it's a little presumptuous for him to say the other guy's game would improve with fewer clubs.

THIS!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm not gonna stand here and tell people NOT to see their local pro, but if that were the case, 50% of this site would say "go see your pro".

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Haha! Not at all presumptuous, just common sense....kind of a no-brainer even.

Real talk

Well someone's angry this morning

I'm here to talk about golf.. Primarily golf equipment.

I'm not here to tell people what clubs they should or shouldn't play. If they're spending their money, they have every right to play with the clubs that they choose. There's no need for condescending posts that reek of a sense of entitlement because someone isn't playing the clubs that you think they should be playing..

real talk

Haha! Not at all presumptuous, just common sense....

How is that common sense?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I just thought we should all take a break and really ask ourselves:  "can we REALLY be worse than Charles?"

https://youtu.be/NxLkEPb5DzI

That is a hard case to make!

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

My re-grip is right at take away, not at the top. I actually ask people's advice here because I value what they say and not everything would I go to a pro for, when I consider myself a casual golfer out for fun not score. If I was more serious, i would have already been to a pro, a mental health professional and a gun expert!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

If I was more serious, i would have already been to a pro, a mental health professional and a gun expert!

For me, not necessarily in that order. 

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

My re-grip is right at take away, not at the top. I actually ask people's advice here because I value what they say and not everything would I go to a pro for, when I consider myself a casual golfer out for fun not score. If I was more serious, i would have already been to a pro, a mental health professional and a gun expert!

I like the previous reply. How about making a concious effort to over tighten your grip until you can get that re-grip under control?

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Wow, some grouchy sensitive types in here today. I didn't word that the best I guess. I didn't "tell" anyone what to do. I made a suggestion to try it to someone who is all over the place with most clubs. He is a royal pain to play with as a result and spends forever looking for balls, taking 6 practice swings just to whiff the ball, oblivious to everyone else waiting on him. His good shots are rare and after every bad shot he acts like he just can't believe that happened. I'm more in disbelief when a miracle good shot comes off his club. He doesn't swing a club. He has a wild flail at the ball. If he would stick to his short clubs, he could move the ball around the course much more effectively and lower his score dramatically. Common sense.... But ego won't let him even consider it. Let him keep doing the same thing expecting different results. I'll just be glad if I only have to play one or two rounds a year with him. It takes the fun out of the game.

Wow, some grouchy sensitive types in here today. I didn't word that the best I guess. I didn't "tell" anyone what to do. I made a suggestion to try it to someone who is all over the place with most clubs. He is a royal pain to play with as a result and spends forever looking for balls, taking 6 practice swings just to whiff the ball, oblivious to everyone else waiting on him. His good shots are rare and after every bad shot he acts like he just can't believe that happened. I'm more in disbelief when a miracle good shot comes off his club. He doesn't swing a club. He has a wild flail at the ball. If he would stick to his short clubs, he could move the ball around the course much more effectively and lower his score dramatically. Common sense.... But ego won't let him even consider it. Let him keep doing the same thing expecting different results. I'll just be glad if I only have to play one or two rounds a year with him. It takes the fun out of the game.

I get this. We've all played with that guy. My dad still hits 3 wood every time it's a par 5 even if he's 300 yards out. I told him once to play his hybrid just to be more consistent. Since then, his rate of 7-8's has decreased a decent amount. Sometimes they listen others won't believe they don't know the secret. If he went to a pro, I'm sure he'd be better and get better. Playing nothing but a 7 or under will limit the damage and may allow him to repeat a swing enough that the could theoretically translate to the whole bag.

Just my two cents. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Wow...

Between your last post and this one, you sound you'd be an absolute joy to play with. /sarcasm

Sounds to me like you two were meant for each other..

It was destiny...

Maybe you should caddy for him one round and tell him every club to hit and how to hit the shots? Maybe then he would see your point of view better.

You are right. It presumes that he will not mishit the shorter clubs, or at least they are closer to playable. He did not just say fewer clubs, as in why don't you take every other club out. He said take all of them out longer than a 7 iron.

What is interesting about this is a couple of years ago, I wanted to test out two different shaft. So I had 2 six irons (MP33's) on a DG S300 and a KBS Tour. I was originally just going to hit them on a few holes but 2 of my HiCapper friends decided to join me and we played 9 holes with just a 6 iron. I shot within a couple of strokes of normal, perhaps even better, I don't remember exactly.  But they both broke 50 on 9 holes for the first time, and I think they broke 45.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Golf is meant to be relaxing, not stressfull.

I agree, which is why I'm working on a better mental "outlook".  

This could also be a visual issue.  Go to the range and hit balls with your eyes closed.  When my swing goes to s***, thats what I do and it gets me in sync.

..... we played 9 holes with just a 6 iron. I shot within a couple of strokes of normal, perhaps even better, I don't remember exactly.  But they both broke 50 on 9 holes for the first time, and I think they broke 45.

Yup.  I've done that too.  Gets you real good at controlling distance with that club.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I agree, which is why I'm working on a better mental "outlook".

This could also be a visual issue. Go to the range and hit balls with your eyes closed. When my swing goes to s***, thats what I do and it gets me in sync.

Or..... Enjoy the round and the company and not worry about "fixing" your "friend's" game.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

..... I made a suggestion to try it to someone who is all over the place with most clubs.....

It's a good suggestion too.   One of the teaching pro's at my old club would have his absolute-beginner students go play 9 holes with nothing longer than a 9-iron.  Short clubs are easier to hit and build confidence.  Once they started hitting it reasonably well he'd start moving them into longer irons.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I believe this thread has gotten a little off topic. Can yall imagine that Sir Charles could once break 80?! Its amazing how far backward he has gone. Lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Archived