TESTERS WANTED! ×

An Independent review - Srixon Z Star

mizuno_lover

Today on a whim I tried one of the new model Z star balls from Srixon. First up let me say I am or should I say, was, a died in the wool Titleist man.  I have been for the last 5 years at any rate.  In my early days I was happy to change balls as frequently as my underwear when ball flight, distance, spin and all the other factors that come into play the lower your handicap gets don't matter.  Titleist's in Australia are "the Premium" ball and unfortunately also have a premium price.  Some unscrupulous "Pro's" will hit you up $8.00 a ball at the more exclusive club shops if you are a visitor and the big golf stores sell them for $72.00 per dozen.  Occasionally you can pick them up for less than that, say $65, but it is rare.  So finding a ball that performs as well as the Pro V1 X for a more reasonable price is always on the agenda.

I had used the previous model Z Star balls as my Wednesday club gives them out as prizes for Novelties so I'm never short of a few as desperate measures in my bag for when I run out of Titleists.  I rate them at about 75/100 with the biggest bug bear being stopping them on firm greens.  Unless you hit them perfectly and launch them high they just won't stop 100% of the time and being unreliable in that respect doesn't cut it.  Enter the new model prominently on display at my club pro shop.  In fact they were demo balls clearly labelled "not for resale" and at 6 clams for 2 I still thought, what the hell, it's a midweek competition and I can throw it in the rough for someone to find if I hate it and give the other one to a mate. 

I had a putt with it on the practice green along side a Pro V1 and feel and roll wise it felt identical.  The labelling was nice and clean and well contrasted against the very white "spin skin" as Srixon likes to call the cover.  The aiming arrow too was pleasing to my eye, not that I'm pedantic about the way I line up the arrow like say Jim Furyk or others (maybe I should be but that is another story).  It made a pleasant sound off the putter face and seemed to roll straight off the face end over end making the arrow look like a solid line marked around the equator as the ball made its way to the hole.  All promising so far. 

I stepped up to the tee on the first hole with driver in hand and a cold stiffish easterly blowing directly into my face.  One of the big tests of a ball is always seeing if I can control trajectory into the wind with my driver.  A task that I have always found simple with the Titleist.  I teed the Srixon down a little as I do with the Titleist into the wind and put a good swing on it.  The reactions from my playing partners put as bigger smile on my face as the feeling of the ball off the club face did.  The ball took off on an optimal trajectory into the wind slowly climbing to what I would call a mid trajectory with the slightest draw about 260 yards up the middle of the fairway.  My reaction was a simple -  "Wow I like that."  My playing partners were a little more vocal and we headed off.  I got to my ball and I had 126 yards to the flag.  It was a front pin about five paces on and middle of the green bunkers either side awaiting a pushed or pulled shot so accuracy was called for and also some stop if it was going to be close.  That distance for me is right on the number for a smooth 9 iron, well struck but not belted.  I set up to hit it pretty much straight at it and again put a good swing on it.  It was one of those shots where you can see the label turning over in what seems like slow motion as the ball starts to spin.  Contact was a case of "Oh my goodness that was sweet" (it's a mizuno owners thing) and I watched again as the ball flew with laser like precision straight toward the flag into the wind and landed on the green about one pace on bounced and rolled up to six inches from the hole for a kick in birdie to start the day.  So far so good and I was impressed.

The second hole at my club is a slight dog leg left Par 5 and the wind was across from the right and helping.  I selected 3 wood and smoked it, I teed it low because I tend to launch my 3 wood high and contact was again quite simply perfect.  It flew long and high with about a 2 yard draw leaving me about 265 to the front of the green.  I selected 3 wood again not thinking I could reach but rather to leave myself a short pitch and maybe get up and down for a birdie.  A put another good swing on the ball and nailed it.  I quickly checked the club face to check there was no melted ball on it and watched as it flew towards the gap between the bunker short and right of the green and the left greenside bunker and came up about 10 yards short of the green. A chip and a putt later and I was two under and ready to marry the Z  Star.  It was proving to be all the Pro V1 X ever was and more.

That sort of performance continued through out the round.  It stopped when required.  Was beautiful off all the clubs, wedges included.  I think it is a fraction longer 5 - 10 yards longer than the Pro V1 with the driver and 3 wood.  I wound up shooting 78, 6 over the card which is pretty good for me especially lately and won the club comp for the day.  I have absolutely no reservations in recommending the Z Star to all levels of golfer especially to those who desire to work the ball both ways as well as hit it straight.  Not sure how much they cost but know they are cheaper than Titleists.  Apologies too for the length of this review, probably should have just said it was a bloody good ball!

srixon.jpg

srixon1.jpg

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Great read. I'll have to try them. I've been an NXT guy for as long as I can remember. Maybe I'll see if they have a lower spin version.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Nice write up. I may have to try them out.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

ZStar. My all-time favorite!!!

Glad you agree as well!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Nice review.  Thank you for taking the time to write it out.  I will put this on my list to try out. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Great review. This is has been my ball of choice so far this year. Excited to put it up against the Wilson Duo in the member review.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Good writing , great review.

Bought some 15's the other day and look forward to trying them.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Thanks for the kudos men it is much appreciated.  jbil8802 I tried to like your post but got a message saying there was a problem storing my reputation vote - go figure?  Used a Z Star again today and was equally impressed.  I really think Srixon is on a winner there.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Hi Greg!  Nice review.  Sounds like you have a winner.

I played the 2014 Z-Star and liked it quite well.  I didn't have any problems stopping it on the greens; it was as good as the ProV1 for me.  My wife has been playing the yellow Z-Stars for the last 2 years.  I just got her a box of the 2015 balls last month, and she likes them, but with her slower swing speed, I don't think she has noticed any significant difference between the 2014 and 2015 balls.  I may steal one of her new Z-Stars out of her bag and give it a try.

I have been playing the MG Tour C4 the last couple of months and like them as well as the ProV1.  They are only $20/dozen.  I still like the ProV1 and will certainly play it if someone gives them to me as a present, but I can't see buying any myself when there are other balls out there that perform the same for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice write up.

Last iteration of the Zstar also had spin skin. How do the two compare? I was very Impressed with the current Z star as well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good write up and good to see its working for you. Its furthered my interest in testing the Z stars. 

I saw some Z star XV from 2014 discounted and thought about taking them for a spin to compare to the Tour preferred X - which i switched from the Pro V1x. I was wondering if anyone has tried all three. 

Just have about 7 dozens of these Tmag tour preferred Xs to go through now....

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Hi Rev, I think the spin skin on the current model must be better than the earlier one, certainly seems to be.  Stays nice and white through out the round which is good.

Very important that you keep the Mrs happy Kenny and I can't think of a better way than keeping her stocked up with good golf balls.

Haven't tried the XV Fireinthehole probably should have a crack with it now that I'm being so adventurous.

My Bag

Hi Rev, I think the spin skin on the current model must be better than the earlier one, certainly seems to be. Stays nice and white through out the round which is good.

Very important that you keep the Mrs happy Kenny and I can't think of a better way than keeping her stocked up with good golf balls.

Haven't tried the XV Fireinthehole probably should have a crack with it now that I'm being so adventurous.

We are finding the older ones for around 25 a box here right now. I will take them out for a tes drive at the club tomorrow. Generally speaking I have little trouble holding our greens and they are running around 12 right now. But it's late fall for you and no doubt much former than it ever gets in Florida. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Twenty five a box is an excellent price even for the old model.  We'll probably have similar offers soon.  Now that winters here our greens will soften up with the rain so the old model will stop.  Cheap balls are good balls sort of.

My Bag

Even with the old model, I've never had trouble stopping the ball.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thanks for the colorful review, mizuno_lover.  I enjoyed reading the meanderings of your game with a new ball.  I got some refinished z stars last year and they performed well.  I see you have a mixed bag of Mizzy's. Which do you like best, the MP-54's or the MP-H5's?  I have gamed the 53's and now have some JPX800 Pros...love the control but need some more length.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I know what you mean about the distance factor Foz.  I'm not what I'd call short, I average about 260 yards off the tee and I had Ping G 30's prior to the Mizzys and I was hitting them a good club longer than the mizzys.  The problem was I wasn't hitting them straight because of the offset.  I love the 54's best of all and game the 5-PW and have the 4 iron and sometimes the 3 iron of the H5's in the bag to as well as 5 & 6 as an option if I want.  The H5's are longer and a bit more forgiving than the 54's hence using them in the long iron department.  The feel with the forged clubs is also amazing as you'd know from the 800 pros.  I am considering reshafting in graphite maybe but will wait and see what develops.

My Bag

Well I picked up a dozen of the z stars xv for $29.99. Really excited to play them tomorrow. Hoping to test against the tour preferred xs.

My Mixed-Bag:

Nothing like breaking out a brand new ball on the 1st tee with that sense of excitement "Fire" have a great game and hit the gizzards out of those Srixons!

My Bag

Nothing like breaking out a brand new ball on the 1st tee with that sense of excitement "Fire" have a great game and hit the gizzards out of those Srixons!

"Nothing like breaking out a brand new ball on the 1st tee with that sense of excitement" ... and pulling it left into a hazard!   :)  Which is why I use a used ball on the first tee!  I pull a new ball out on #2.  lol

"gizzards"?  Must be an Aussie thing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wow I am glad I picked these up!.

So I went out with a sleeve of the tour preferred x, and the z stars xv. Teed off with the z stars and sent one 311yds. Pretty good show the rest of the round.

off the driver the z stars xv felt like they were going out of a cannon-firmer, the tp xs felt like they were being compressed very well. The longest drive was with the TPX- 328yds z star 317yds, so both were around the same distance averaged 306yds. Played power draw/fade and a high fade.

I preferred the tp x's feel of irons- might be the familiarity. BUT both spun very well on chips, 1/2 shots, full wedge shots- not a noticeable difference.

off the putter they are both soft as they should be for this price point. If anything the z star might be slightly firmer and had a more pronounced click off the putter. Tried it off a 2014 Scotty fastback and a studio syle with the gss insert and it was prominent for both. Seemed noticeable when hitting the middle of the face which is good for me feedback wise.

My Mixed-Bag:

The golf store gave me a 2-ball promo pack of the Z-Star XVs.  They definitely click off the putter more than the Z-Stars.  The XV played OK, but I don't have the swing speed to make them work better than the Z-Stars and the Z-Stars feel better.  

I am still going to stick with the Snell My Tour Ball or the MG Tour C4 this year even though I like the Z-Stars.

I am waiting for the Snell's to arrive to try out. The fact Dean Snell has worked on the Pro V1, TMAG Penta, Lethal and Tour preferred X's, all of which have been great, has increased my anticipation. 

My Mixed-Bag:

I picked up some Z-Star XV's that I'll be putting into play tomorrow morning. Excited to see how they do.

Played today with the Z-Stars XV on fast/firm greens. Really impressed with it. My chipping and pitching was the best it's been all year. Absolutely loved the performance of it around the greens. Just as a heads up I was using the 2014 model.

I've played my last two rounds with last year's Z star that I picked up at Sports Authority for 24.99 a dozen. I'm marginally longer than the B330 RX that I've been playing and clearly longer than several other balls that I've tried recently. Like any decent golf ball they hold even firm greens very well. They have great and I do mean great spin on part shots around the green, a huge factor for ball choice at my course. They have a good sound and pretty ball flight. All of these observations are my own. I recognize that others may experience different results because they swing the club differently and/or use different equipment.

I would say that the difference I've noticed between this year's Z star and the previous one is sound/feel is better in this year's one. Its not a $20 a dozen difference though. I'm going with the on sale Z Stars for the remainder of the season. Anyone who knows me knows that this proves I could care less what company my equipment comes from so long as it works best for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the Z star XV is definitely brighter than the 2015 Prov1x and 2015 tour preferred X's I was playing. This is great even though I don't have any vision problems, it is nice to be able to quickly find your ball.

My Mixed-Bag:

I have noticed that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have been playing with last year's Z-Star model and I really, really like it.  It has a great feel, good distance and the spin around the green is excellent. 

It could be the way I hit the shot, the ball or both but I hat the ball just stop dead on a 50 yard shot on a spot where, on my course, it "can't".  While it was unexpected it was really impressive. 

Its pretty soft for putting and it feels like it is sticking on the putter face for a fraction of a second that I'm not used to.  Not good, not bad, just different.  I can see gaming these for a while.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Just picked up a dozen Z Stars and XV's over the weekend -- going to give both a prolonged look over the next few weeks.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived