Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Dealing with a MAJOR push slice!

Well not sure what has happened to me off the tee, but I am terrified to drive the ball.  Before, when the driver was misbehaving, I could go to my trusty 3 wood and be back on track...not now.  I am in the middle of a massive push slice with my driver/3-wood...I mean it is horrible.  I am coming over the top, club face is apparently wide open...just lots of nastiness.  Iron play, wedges are spot on which makes me even more upset. 

I watched a few videos, one inparticular was a 2-part video.  The first part was basically breaking your wrist over entirely to early to generate a nasty hook.  His point was that once you get use to this, you could then work on hip rotation and direction.  Seems simple enough.  I am in the middle of trying this, but hoping to get ideas on other possible range session practices that will help.  Appreciate any advice on this!  Thanks!

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Go see your local pro :lol:  (joke from another thread - See Move Over Sir Charles)

Seriously, it sounds to me like you're getting too steep.  Would cause an open face and out-to-in path.  Flatten it up a bit.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Can only tell you what causes mine - when it happens. 

Tension in my right shoulder in the backswing causing the right side to go up and not around and/or tension at setup causing me to set-up with a cupped left wrist.  Both make me hit some nasty looking shots.  Both of these are really easy to tell if you are a victim of.  Makes me wonder why it is that it takes me so long to figure out that I am doing them.... but that's another story.

My experience is that normally issues can be traced back to fundamentals. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I was dealing with a similar issue. Mine was caused, by delayed/ inactive right hand and faster hips

Here is a article i read from Butch Harmon, just something to think about.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-05/fast-fixes-butch-harmon-push

I posted more info on a forum page a month or two back, here is the link to that forum:

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13518-help-with-a-push-slice/

A pro can help you pretty quick, but find one who can address your needs first, before trying to give you a swing overhaul.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

It will go away. The more you worry about it, the worse it will be. Remember..... golf spelled backwards is FLOG! That is what you are experiencing right now...lol. I went 3 months not being able to hit an iron where I wanted it to go. No amount of worrying or lessons would fix it. One day, it just stopped. Such is golf. You'll be fine!

Go see your local pro :lol: (joke from another thread - See Move Over Sir Charles)

Seriously, it sounds to me like you're getting too steep. Would cause an open face and out-to-in path. Flatten it up a bit.

Yea we're not supposed to talk about this kind of stuff. If you broke a bone you'd go see a doctor, you wouldn't ask your buddy.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

With no video, it's going to be hard to diagnose the issue. From personal experience, you may think you are doing one thing and really doing another.

And sense it's been brought up, I'd be careful with advice given to you by strangers on the Internet. They may know a lot less than they think they do. A teaching pro on the other hand, while they get a bad rap, has had formal training in the swing. You can even find respected teaching pros around the golf forum world that will give you some pointers free of charge.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

With no video, it's going to be hard to diagnose the issue. From personal experience, you may think you are doing one thing and really doing another.

And sense it's been brought up, I'd be careful with advice given to you by strangers on the Internet. They may know a lot less than they think they do. A teaching pro on the other hand, while they get a bad rap, has had formal training in the swing. You can even find respected teaching pros around the golf forum world that will give you some pointers free of charge.

The only problem is that most pros are going to want to give you a full lesson and overhaul your swing, not just help you fix a small problem with your swing.  At the end of the day, theyre in it to make money.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The only problem is that most pros are going to want to give you a full lesson and overhaul your swing, not just help you fix a small problem with your swing. At the end of the day, theyre in it to make money.

Not all pros will want to overhaul your swing. If you find one who you can work with to fix flaws they will help that too.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Not all pros will want to overhaul your swing. If you find one who you can work with to fix flaws they will help that too.

Perhaps but every pro Ive ever dealt with has a theory in their mind of what the right golf swing is and if your swing doesnt fit into the mold, they will try to remake it.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Thanks for the advice!  Lots of great stuff here to try. 

Well I did the dreaded Slo-Mo video of my swing last night, both from behind and facing me.  Just horrible.  Lots of bad things going on.  Here is what I noticed and maybe you can give me some advice:

1.  At address, I look hunched over.

2.  My take away is low and flat but finishes right over my head causing a looping over-the-top swing. 

3.  I am stiff and I straighten out on my downswing, which I know is my body trying to compensate for my backswing.

4.  I do not drop my wrists at all

5.  My follow through is basically vertical, which causes me to lift up.

6.  My wrists are over the ball and breaking just before impact.

This is mainly a driver issue. I seem to hit my irons/wedges consistently.  I will do a video tonight of my irons and see if it is as bad as the driver. 

Not quite sure where to start.  I am going to call a local pro and have him take a look.  Very depressing....

For what it's worth, in this months Golf Digest David Leadbetter talks about the "A" swing that addresses many of your issues. Basically, it appears to take Jim Furyk's looping backswing and make it more pronounced. Furyk has had some success with it. :unsure: 

Keeping in mind that the purpose of those articles are to sell magazines not necessarily fix your problems,  :D  you might give that a look. I simply skimmed it because it was not something that I was having an issue with.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived