Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Zepp 3D Swing Analyzer

jdiddyesquire

My darling wife picked one of these up for me. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I figured I'd put it through its paces and put my thoughts up here for folks.

First step, get the damn thing on and synced with my phone. Good news! It's incredibly easy. The little bracket you see above, fit neatly on the glove (and doesn't impact the velcro at all). I charged the device for a few hours, then stuck it on and got down to business.

When you first get ready to take your swings, the app asks you to "calibrate". This means stands at address and wait for 5 seconds. Then you're ready to swing. Which I do, repeatedly. Here I am with a 3 Wood. You'll see swing speed, hand speed, club plane, hand plane, and backswing rotation. The big red flag right away, is that I'm well under the tour average for backswing, which is 270*.

IMG_0377.PNGIMG_0378.PNG

You'll notice I'm not getting hip numbers. That's because I didn't want my phone in my pocket during the range session. I preferred to get the immediate feedback of having the display visible. I can swing, watch the ball flight, and then immediately have a visual image of my swing path.

Once I was warmed up, I whipped out the driver. This driver swing wasn't bad.

IMG_0384.PNGIMG_0383.PNG

This one was... ugly.

IMG_0379.PNGIMG_0380.PNG

Any guesses why things devolved? I'm going to guess I was getting pretty tired and sloppy. As I look back at my shots during the session, around 60 is where things started to break down. Most of my driver shots from here on out were severely over the top with a much longer backswing.

I hit some irons. Here's a good one.

IMG_0381.PNGIMG_0382.PNG

What's interesting to me, is that my iron swing appears to be very steep. Guess we know why my ball flight is higher than I'd like. Something to work on.

Overall, the device is useful. It's a great way to track *why* a shot went wrong. I immediately know if I'm over plane, or if my tempo is off, or if I'm too steep or too around my body. It also, through process of elimination, tells me that if a shot went wrong and everything on the device looks GOOD, then my face angle is probably the culprit.

The trick, of course, is taking that feedback and learning from it. That's much harder. I know that I'm OVER plane more often than I'm under plane. Even my best shots are still coming in around 5-8% over plane and often when I get under plane it's right before contact.

Here's the thing. Zepp isn't a trainer. It's a tracker. It's going to help me find consistency. If that consistency means I'm playing a power fade? Fine. I don't need to hit a perfect baby draw. I need to hit the same shot repeatedly. I feel pretty confident that this is a tool to help anyone dial their swing in. To find the parameters that demonstrate a ball flight you want (or can live with) and building the muscle memory to repeat it on the course. 

I haven't used any of the other swing analyzers. But, for what it is, Zepp is incredibly easy to use and gives very clear and useful information.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I keep looking at these and I like the idea of it. I agree with you though, its not going to really fix you necessarily.

Great review! Thanks!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

That gives me a lot more info than looking at my repeated video of myself swinging. I have seen many good deals on these. I may have to get one for a good training tool. 

Great review and graphics man. 

Thanks. 

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Thanks for the review!

Been really on the fence with this. Thanks for the analysis on the numbers as well.

The reviews I found were either glowing or people didn't know how to use it.

Really interested to know if you ever use the hip angle.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Thanks for the review!

Been really on the fence with this. Thanks for the analysis on the numbers as well.

The reviews I found were either glowing or people didn't know how to use it.

Really interested to know if you ever use the hip angle.

I do! I just don't really know what it means? I average around like 25* backswing, 45* at finish? Or something like that.

It's interesting, but I don't know sort of what the ideal is.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Well I know that the average tour Pro gets about a little over 45* degrees of turn- closed to the target line- on the back swing and on the downswing they get about the same open to the target line. Compared with your shoulder turn on the back swing it gives you the x factor that you use to generate power.

Looks like you are doing just fine getting your hips open on the downswing! From what I've read excessive hip rotation affects most of us amateurs with around 50-60* degrees on the back swing, use to be one of my faults. I blame all the soccer I played. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review - thanks.

I was thinking of getting one of these for myself, but after last night's range session, I think I should get it for my 17-year-old son! He takes lessons, which have really helped, but when his teacher isn't around and he needs help, the Zepp might serve as a better pair of "eyes" than mine.

He was hitting his irons perfectly, but couldn't hit his driver at all - very inconsistent ball flights. I couldn't see what was wrong with his driver swing, but I bet the Zepp could!

Nice review - thanks.

I was thinking of getting one of these for myself, but after last night's range session, I think I should get it for my 17-year-old son! He takes lessons, which have really helped, but when his teacher isn't around and he needs help, the Zepp might serve as a better pair of "eyes" than mine.

He was hitting his irons perfectly, but couldn't hit his driver at all - very inconsistent ball flights. I couldn't see what was wrong with his driver swing, but I bet the Zepp could!

Maybe! It doesn't see anything that deals with contact, which is limiting. No smash factor. No face angle. No angle of attack. Just swing path. I've learned that my swing path is OK more often than it's not. When I'm struggling it's because I'm leaving my face open or over correct and closing it down too fast.

I guess Zepp does help determine that since I know it's not swing path!

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

I've been so on the fence about some kind of swing trainer/analyzer over the past few weeks.

I've been wanting to video my swing, but don't want to invest the money into an iPad/Tripod/Mount setup. But, I feel that I'll never improve how I want to without thorough swing evaluation.

I go take lessons every two weeks from a pro, but it's so far away and few between that It's very hard to stay diligent with the practice and so on.

Hmm...

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Cool. I was just looking into this the other day. Might just go for it

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 2 years later...

I stopped at this review, read it, and almost moved on without giving you props for putting it together.

So......PROPS!

Now that we're 2 years later, do you still use it? Have the numbers/high flight gotten better?

#throwbackthursday

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I stopped at this review, read it, and almost moved on without giving you props for putting it together.

So......PROPS!

Now that we're 2 years later, do you still use it? Have the numbers/high flight gotten better?

#throwbackthursday

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm at the same point. I just discovered this app and am really intrigued. For $150 it seems like a cost effective way to get some info. They now have training plans etc. I'd love a detailed review of the current use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged     :cleveland-small: Wedges   :taylormade-small: M1 Driver   Tour Edge E7 Beta 3 wood and hybrid   :taylormade-small: Putter

• 2 weeks later...

A key data point that seems to be missing for me is the angle of the club face at impact. Since this device is on the wrist, is that not possible?  I'd be interested if you compared this with something like SkyPro, if having club face data would be a game changer?

Archived