Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Salt Lake City

Anyone have any recommendations? Will be there for work in late July.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Funny you mention Salt Lake - on board a Delta flight heading there right now. Won't golf there, though - but will ask around. From what I understand there are some really good courses that are very reasonably priced.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I am a Delta 2 Million Miler and Lifetime Gold Medallion. I have flown so many times through SLC (about a 75 minute flight), but have never played there. One year, I actually thought about flying to SLC in the morning, taking a cab to the course that we fly over all the time when landing or taking off, playing a round and then fly home that night. THAT would be as close as I would ever come to "playing like a pro." :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Stay away from Thanksgiving Point. Not worth the $75 rate. If you insist on trying it make sure you go in the morning or you will get really strong winds any time after 3 pm. I am not a fan of that course. 

I live about 30 miles south of SLC so I know more about the courses close to me than the downtown SLC ones but I'll give you some recs on the ones I know. 

Fox Hollow - About 30 min south of SLC in American Fork, this is my home course and even though I play it the most its one of my favorites after all these years. $35-$40 for 18, pretty long course, a lot of fun holes, not super hard but there are some tough ones if you can't keep it out of the trees or don't know when to put the driver away and be safe. 

Hobble Creek - this is about 45 min to an hour south of SLC in Springville, its up in a canyon so it is a beautiful course. Not very hard, but the scenery is tough to beat. Pretty short, reasonably priced at around $40 bucks.

Soldier Hollow - 45 min outside of SLC in Heber Valley. BEAUTIFUL course up on the side of a mountain over looking the Heber Valley and Deer Creek reservoir. Always in very good condition, very long course, 2 18 hole courses, a mountain course and 1 down off the hills. It will be a lot cooler up there, which is nice because SLC is HOT in the summer. 

Mountain Dell - 15 min outside of SLC towards Park City, in the canyon, very pretty, has been in good condition the few times I've played it. If you don't want to travel this might be your best bet.

All the other courses in SLC are just courses. They aren't bad, they aren't great. They will be fun but don't expect your mind to be blown.

Let me know where you play of if you have any questions. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Wow, I've pretty much checked out of the MGS forums lately.   Just nothing lately that interests me.   No sooner than I do this, but another Utahn shows up and some Utah topics are raised.   So I'll chime in.

First, the course by the airport is called Wingpointe and it used to be a pretty nice linksy style course with some challenges and some go-for-it rewards.   I used to play it EVERY flight in or out, since it's literally at the airport and never crowded.   But its at death's door and they've given up on it.   Water hazards are dry, sometimes the pro doesn't even show up.   This all happened after they re-routed the access road to the course, making it difficult for even locals to not miss the turn and get there.   I have no idea if it'll even be open in July, it's scheduled for closure.

My home course is Hobble Creek, mentioned above.   Yes, it is short and pretty, but some of the shorties are the ones that mess you up.  I use a driving iron on 4 or 5 of the holes and if they're not placed perfectly, forget about par.

I am a big fan of Fox Hollow.   This is an odd course, with several internal OB's (usually a mark of poor design) but instead this muni is very challenging and must be navigated like a Formula 1 track.   It has NO SANDTRAPS (well, maybe 1 or 2) but beware missing greens.   The way the aprons are sculpted with alternating shaved areas and thick rough patches make them tough.  

I also detest Thanksgiving Point.    I also like Mountain Dell, Wasatch and Soldier Hollow.    All our eye popping resort courses are in southern Utah, No. Utah just has a ton of underplayed muni's that are okay, but not worth building a vacation around and some luxe country clubs in Park City that few of us working Joe's have played.

Maybe we can put a small MGS threesome together.   I've largely stopped playing lately (played twice in April and May) so my cap has soared along with my cursing, but I can muster something socially.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Glad to see we are on the same page. No Utah has a lot of good courses, pretty much everything is good, but nothing great. 

Sleepy Ridge over in Orem is a nice course, you just have to play it in the heat of the day or the bugs will ruin your life. It is right near a swamp so if you play at dusk its god awful.

Gladstan in Payson has an amazing back 9, up on the mountain but the front is more than forgettable.

Cedar Hills was my home course for a bit but I've never really liked it and still don't. Has some beautiful holes, #10 going into the mouth of the canyon in particular, but overall I dislike most of the holes. 

Spanish Oaks may be the worst course I've played anywhere. It was TERRIBLE the 1 time I played it and the wind was blowing like crazy. 

All in all, just pick a course and you won't hate it.

yeah, I'm just looking for something in town that I can get a round in during a crappy work week. I won't be heartbroken if the course is only OK.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

We agree on almost everything, except that I think more of Sleepy than you do.  The wind almost always blows there and that's a good thing, because the wind makes it tough.  Play it on a calm day and it's easy.   I've never had trouble with bugs there, so I can't relate.

I too detest Cedar Hills.   It is funked up, IMO, but it used to be worse.   They de-funked a few of the holes from the initial routing of 15 years ago, but it's not one I'll go out of my way to play.   Gladstan is always in superb condition, and that mitigates the pedestrian front nine.  It too was defunked from the original routing with the addition of the two new holes up in the mountain saddle.   If they could put a whole 9 up there, wowwee, what a loop that would be.

Spanish Oaks suffers from its weird routing and horrible greens.   A front 9 that is dead flat with a bunch of long 4's, then a hilly back with a bunch of weird short fours.   And the firmest greens, year in and year out, in the state.   It is no fun for anyone of any skill level to hit a wedge to a green and watch it bounce ten feet in the air and then jack rabbit off the back.  

I had the weirdest hole of my life there.   The 5th hole, which was playing about 340.   I nuked a drive that went about 330 to the front apron of extremely short firm grass.   So I took out the old texas wedge and putted it uphill to a center pin.  Like lightning, it rolls off the back about 10 feet.   I putt it back -- off the front again.   Took a 6 with driver and 5 uses of the putter.

In the valley, I quite like Talon's Cove, which gives a fair test for anyone from multiple tee boxes.   But I hate hate hate nearby Eagle Mountain, which is the worst routing in the county.   Links with two Volcano holes?   Where in Scotland do they have volcanoes?

Back to our visitor's original question, I might suggest Bonneville G.C up by the university and the zoo.   It's interesting for a first time player and deceptive.   Again, remember these are all muni's, but if you bear that in mind and the fact that they are all CHEAP, you won't be disappointed.   What do I mean by cheap?  I FREQUENTLY see Golfnow specials at No. Utah courses for 80 cents a hole WITH cart included.  Beat that anyone, anywhere.

Here's the thing with Utah golf.   It's the unpretentious muni's that satisfy.   The minute they try to tout themselves as upscale (like Old Mill, South Mountain, Thanksgiving Point, Stonebridge) that's when you come away thinking you didn't get your money's worth.  I personally like to sneak out of work downtown and play Rose Park with it's blue collar vibe (where the Finau brothers grew up demolishing any par 4 under 400 yards).   I also like that links track out in Tooele.   Utah owns 90 of the nicest holes you'll find under state government administration west of Bethpage, but few people ever play them.   We have all these gems hidden down south (like Ferron, Monticello) and if you ever get to them, you want to immediately go back.  

And should I mention that gem in Smithfield?   The finest condition public course I've seen ANYWHERE in the country, Pebble, Spyglass, Torrey, Bethpage included.   It makes country clubs look shabby.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

• 1 month later...

If anyone in Utah wants to get out sometime let me know. My usual group is falling apart, 1 getting married, 1 having a baby and the other 1 sucks so I'm looking to play with some new blood. I'd be into playing anything in the Utah or Salt Lake valleys. Hell, I'd even go up to Heber or Park City. Anyways, I went out with Jdiddy and had a good experience so I figured MGS would be a good place to meet some new golfers. 

If anyone in Utah wants to get out sometime let me know. My usual group is falling apart, 1 getting married, 1 having a baby and the other 1 sucks so I'm looking to play with some new blood. I'd be into playing anything in the Utah or Salt Lake valleys. Hell, I'd even go up to Heber or Park City. Anyways, I went out with Jdiddy and had a good experience so I figured MGS would be a good place to meet some new golfers. 

I have never played in the SLC area.  I have flown through there many, many times (Delta 2 million miler).  

I have a trip coming up to Las Vegas and I am driving.  I have to be in Vegas on September 23.  When I have driven in the past, I have stuck to the Interstate and spent the night in Ogden.  But I was working then, so I had to stick to a schedule.  I will be retired this trip, so I can do pretty much anything.  I was going to cut off the Interstate at Twin Falls, ID and blast straight though Nevada.  I think I can make it in 12 hours.  Going through SLC is longer, about 14 hours.  However, it might be nice if I take it a little slower, spend the night and play a little golf along the way.  That would mean playing early on September 23, then hitting the road to Vegas.

I will let you know my plans when the time gets closer.  If you are not available to play on that Wednesday morning, I will likely just head through Nevada.

Hope you find another group to join.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have never played in the SLC area.  I have flown through there many, many times (Delta 2 million miler).  

I have a trip coming up to Las Vegas and I am driving.  I have to be in Vegas on September 23.  When I have driven in the past, I have stuck to the Interstate and spent the night in Ogden.  But I was working then, so I had to stick to a schedule.  I will be retired this trip, so I can do pretty much anything.  I was going to cut off the Interstate at Twin Falls, ID and blast straight though Nevada.  I think I can make it in 12 hours.  Going through SLC is longer, about 14 hours.  However, it might be nice if I take it a little slower, spend the night and play a little golf along the way.  That would mean playing early on September 23, then hitting the road to Vegas.

I will let you know my plans when the time gets closer.  If you are not available to play on that Wednesday morning, I will likely just head through Nevada.

Hope you find another group to join.

Aweseome. If I have enough advance I can pretty much play whenever. Just need enough time to think of an excuse to give the boss. I cannot imagine driving straight through Nevada. My hell that sounds like a nightmare, a 6 hour nightmare. The weather should be perfect in September, its my favorite golf month in Utah. 

When will you be there???

Driving my buddy's moving truck through the area in a week - probably be spending the night in the area on July 27 and trying to get out the morning of July 28 for a sunrise round....

If you happen to be there and free - would love to connect!

Driving my buddy's moving truck through the area in a week - probably be spending the night in the area on July 27 and trying to get out the morning of July 28 for a sunrise round....

Sounds like you are referencing Jdiddy or Kenny but I'll but in anyways. I'm down to play an early morning round on the 28th if you're interested. Anywhere in the Salt Lake or Utah Valleys. Not sure where you'd be staying but I can possibly make some recommendations for the area. 

I won't be there until Sept 23, but I could be talked into returning home on Sept 28 by way of NorCal if you are going to be home.

• 2 months later...

I'm kinda bummed that I just saw this...not that i'm very close to anyone cuz I'm down in St. George but would like to get together with anyone whenever they are in the area.

Driver:  :ping-small: G30 9*

Irons:  :callaway-small:  X-Forged 3-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX 2.0 52*

:ping-small:  Glide 58*

Putter:   :taylormade-small: Itsy-Bitsy Spider

I'm kinda bummed that I just saw this...not that i'm very close to anyone cuz I'm down in St. George but would like to get together with anyone whenever they are in the area.

Was in St. George about a year ago, but played on the other side of the canyon in Mesquite.  Will be in SLC at the end of the month - any Utahans want to get together to play on Wednesday, the 28th?

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Was in St. George about a year ago, but played on the other side of the canyon in Mesquite. Will be in SLC at the end of the month - any Utahans want to get together to play on Wednesday, the 28th?

Even though Mesquite and St. George are small towns they have some great golf courses. Did you get a chance to play Wolf Creek?

Even though Mesquite and St. George are small towns they have some great golf courses. Did you get a chance to play Wolf Creek?

Oh yes -- that was a treat and a half!  Played Conestoga first as a  warm up - thought that was pretty cool, but it was nothing compared to Wolf Creek!  That first hole is just spectacular, and it keeps getting better.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Was in St. George about a year ago, but played on the other side of the canyon in Mesquite.  Will be in SLC at the end of the month - any Utahans want to get together to play on Wednesday, the 28th?

I'm a tentative yes. Stuff could always come up last minute, especially end of October weather, but if the weather's good im in.

Oh yes -- that was a treat and a half! Played Conestoga first as a warm up - thought that was pretty cool, but it was nothing compared to Wolf Creek! That first hole is just spectacular, and it keeps getting better.

Conestoga is more of a course you could play everyday. It's really fun. Wolf Creek is Disneyland for golfers. It's a blast but only in small doses. I've heard awesome things about Coyote Springs but I haven't been down there yet? Did you make it out there?

Conestoga is more of a course you could play everyday. It's really fun. Wolf Creek is Disneyland for golfers. It's a blast but only in small doses. I've heard awesome things about Coyote Springs but I haven't been down there yet? Did you make it out there?

Disneyland -- that's perfect!!  

Didn't do Coyote Springs - hoping for another Vegas-based business trip in 2016, and I have an employee who lives in St. George, so there's an excuse to go say hi.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 8 months later...

Archived