Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

From "Got it" to "lost" in 36 holes

Over the 2-1/2 years I have gone through a complete swing overhaul.  Lots and lots of practice time, growing pains on the course - the whole nine yards.  I had a severe early extension problem.  I had reached the point that the new swing was pretty automatic and when things were going sideways, I had a list of 2 or 3 things that were the culprits.

Last week, things were humming along great. 

Then, seemingly, everything came crashing down and the old swing is back with a vengeance.  I can feel it, I know what is happening and I feel powerless to stop it.  It got worse and worse all weekend.  I had a long practice session last night where I went through some of the drills and swing thoughts that I had used over the course of the rebuild.  It seemed to help a little, but the hook was still there as was the terrible ball contact.

Half of me things there has got to be something simple setting the chain of events (the train wreck of a swing) in motion and its probably some kind of fundamental.  Half of me thinks I just got slapped back to square one by the ever-cruel golf gods and am facing a tough road back. 

Anyone else ever have a similar situation?  How did you work through it?

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I've had it happen mid round even.  1 under through 12, then completely forgot how to hit a golf ball between 12 green and 13 tee box.  3 doubles later my swing came back.  All I can say is thats golf.

For me it's usually over swinging and letting my feet creep too far apart at address.  Narrow the stance and shorten the backswing and I'm usually back on track.

Slumps happen, there are lots of ways to work through them but I've found the two best solutions are time and alcohol :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but have you been taking video lessons or have any swing videos to share? There are plenty of knowledgeable people on the forums including those who have golf instruction experience.

In my experience those who suffered from EE always had an underlying issue that is forcing them to make that move. You could be doing a thousand things causing it, hard to say without seeing.

I just had this happen. Grip issue. I checked my grip and I had slipped into a weak grip without realizing it. Course mine wasn't a hook.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I've had it happen mid round even.  1 under through 12, then completely forgot how to hit a golf ball between 12 green and 13 tee box.  3 doubles later my swing came back.  All I can say is thats golf.

For me it's usually over swinging and letting my feet creep too far apart at address.  Narrow the stance and shorten the backswing and I'm usually back on track.

Slumps happen, there are lots of ways to work through them but I've found the two best solutions are time and alcohol :)

I like the way you think!  I especially like the solutions proposed.

Guessing I'm just freaking out because I have been afraid that the monster will come back someday.  A few bad swings and have a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Probably just need to purge it from memory and go forward.  All that work cannot be gone in an instant. 

WITB:

Play Right-handed

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but have you been taking video lessons or have any swing videos to share? There are plenty of knowledgeable people on the forums including those who have golf instruction experience.

In my experience those who suffered from EE always had an underlying issue that is forcing them to make that move. You could be doing a thousand things causing it, hard to say without seeing.

I do a LOT of video, but usually take it, analyze it and delete it.  My EE stemmed from playing a year and a half with a dislocated left knuckle (dumb but I'm in the "rub some dirt on it" camp) and completely de-activating my left side.  At the same time I developed a reverse tilt at the top of the swing. 

I saw both of those in video last night.  Left side is in the way, so the right has to get closer to the ball because it has to have somewhere to go.  Gun to my head, I would bet is goes back to a fundamental which is something I didn't check - and I know better.  That's the answer a frighteningly high amount of the time. 

If I cannot figure it out, I will post a video - that's a great suggestion.  Though, I cannot be held responsible for what my image does to your computer!

I guess a better question to have asked is what process have other people followed to find their way back after losing it?

WITB:

Play Right-handed

I went through a swing change early part of the year. Boy did that feel unnatural! I was lunging at the ball so exact opposite. I went to a Pro who was having a free lesson promotion, he recorded me and put me on trackman. I was coming in so steep trackman couldn't pick up the first 7-8 shots.

reviewed what he had to say and spent two weeks working on some changes. I went back to him one more time and he told me, that I didn't need to come back unless I had a relapse- sounds like I have a problem....

Anyways, I started hoooking recently and have had to go back to starting my preround routine or practice with half shots narrow stance, working on all the fundimentals- proper forearm rotation, reducing backswing length, not swinging to flat, etc. Playing a push draw now. 

But honestly, what has helped me most, is to take some time away from golf, get my mind off those troubles. That way when I return I don't have a ton of swing thoughts- in essence I go back with a clear head. 

Best of luck with the bump in the road! 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I haven't done any swing changes, but I sure can relate to losing the swing in the middle of a round. It really wears you down mentally, especially when you can't figure out how to make decent contact with the ball. Very frustrating.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The past two weeks have been tough on my game. Going through some swing changes with my instructor and trying to play while adjusting to them has been difficult. Played yesterday with my weekly group. Started par, birdie on the #1 index hole, par, par. The remainder of the round included 7 doubles and a quad. I'll chock some of it up to it being a course that I haven't played before which caused problems on some tee shots but there were definitely times where I felt like I was caught in between old habits and new habits with my swing. Back to the range this morning to put more work in.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Update:  After more thinking about it, I began to think that a lot or even most of the difficulty was being created by anxiety about early extension.  Being unsure and swinging tentative was causing the issue more or less.  If I am not driving through the shot with my left side (especially important for a left-handed player who plays right handed) the right side has nowhere to go except toward the ball.  The more I was concentrating on it, the more I was prone to do it.  Playing 9 holes fighting it was probably a LOT more successful than I was giving myself credit for.

So, my idea was to go hit some balls with one goal.  Drive through with the left finish the swing and quit paying attention to EE.  Let the results be what they are going to be.  In other words, swing the way I have been practicing and quit concentrating on the problem.

I'm sure if you have read this far you have guessed the outcome.  Problem gone.

I caused my own death spiral.   I have been terrified of the thought that EE would come back:  A couple of bad shots  >> thinking "that's it, it has come back, have to start over" >> concentrating on it >> getting more of what I am thinking about  >>  reinforced anxiety >> ......  and so on.

I have learned a valuable lesson about anxiety, about erosion of confidence, and about how I relate to the game. 

At the first sign of real trouble, instead of relying on all of the work I had done and being confident in it  I went into analysis and fix mode which made the issue worse. 

WITB:

Play Right-handed

Update:  After more thinking about it, I began to think that a lot or even most of the difficulty was being created by anxiety about early extension.  Being unsure and swinging tentative was causing the issue more or less.  If I am not driving through the shot with my left side (especially important for a left-handed player who plays right handed) the right side has nowhere to go except toward the ball.  The more I was concentrating on it, the more I was prone to do it.  Playing 9 holes fighting it was probably a LOT more successful than I was giving myself credit for.

So, my idea was to go hit some balls with one goal.  Drive through with the left finish the swing and quit paying attention to EE.  Let the results be what they are going to be.  In other words, swing the way I have been practicing and quit concentrating on the problem.

I'm sure if you have read this far you have guessed the outcome.  Problem gone.

I caused my own death spiral.   I have been terrified of the thought that EE would come back:  A couple of bad shots  >> thinking "that's it, it has come back, have to start over" >> concentrating on it >> getting more of what I am thinking about  >>  reinforced anxiety >> ......  and so on.

I have learned a valuable lesson about anxiety, about erosion of confidence, and about how I relate to the game. 

At the first sign of real trouble, instead of relying on all of the work I had done and being confident in it  I went into analysis and fix mode which made the issue worse. 

Yep!  I'm glad you figured it out.  Remember, all the practice engrains muscle memory which allows you to not focus on your swing while playing.  Trust it; just let it happen (...and be the ball).

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Let's get straight to the point:  muscles have no memory that controls their activity.  Muscle memory (more properly, movement memory) resides in the brain, a product of brain-conditioning, i.e., learning.

I am so sorry.  You are correct.  It's just a habit that I get into when talking about this subject.  A good read to explain this is The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hahaha don't apologize! I just love pointing out that "muscle memory" is fictitious.

Totally true. But I think muscles get used to being stretched into certain positions and when you change that it feels unnatural for a while. I see the term muscle memory kind of like a NiCad phone battery developing a "memory" based on charge-discharge cycles. Not literally, but it's a figure of speech to describe it.

Totally true. But I think muscles get used to being stretched into certain positions and when you change that it feels unnatural for a while. I see the term muscle memory kind of like a NiCad phone battery developing a "memory" based on charge-discharge cycles. Not literally, but it's a figure of speech to describe it.

Agreed. Also I've had it, lost it, and then had it all within a round. Happened this weekend where on the range I was great, started off meh, then went 3 over on the back. No idea what happened but it clicked.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Yes I've done this -

In the end its an over reaction so be careful about a few issues - normally its something simple at first and going too far gets it worse than simple.  If it gets too bad, I go to my teacher.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

How about got it to lost it within the golf bag!  Tuesday had a real good day off the tee (for me).  8 of 14 fairways hit, a couple pounded long down the middle and only one shot lost (drive just barely missed clearing a fairway bunker and nestled under the lip.  Then, lost it.  15 of 18 second shots and par three tee shots were beyond meh, and really bad.  Topped, ballooned right, pulled left, chunked, you name it.  Many, many lost shots (and balls).  Did chip and pitch great to save a few of these, only to find my usually reliable putter was MIA.  Tied the worst score of the year.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

How about got it to lost it within the golf bag!  Tuesday had a real good day off the tee (for me).  8 of 14 fairways hit, a couple pounded long down the middle and only one shot lost (drive just barely missed clearing a fairway bunker and nestled under the lip.  Then, lost it.  15 of 18 second shots and par three tee shots were beyond meh, and really bad.  Topped, ballooned right, pulled left, chunked, you name it.  Many, many lost shots (and balls).  Did chip and pitch great to save a few of these, only to find my usually reliable putter was MIA.  Tied the worst score of the year.

Interesting. I have the same issue. Drove the ball great for most of my rounds, but the irons were mediocre. Then the irons were hot, but the driver went ice cold. I'd rather the driver go that the irons.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

In the end I agree with you.  The frustrating part is that I knew what I was doing and could not stop it.  It felt like I had no feel whatsoever at the time.  A definite learning experience.

Yes I've done this -

In the end its an over reaction so be careful about a few issues - normally its something simple at first and going too far gets it worse than simple.  If it gets too bad, I go to my teacher.

WITB:

Play Right-handed

I find playing behind a slow group or one that doesn't allow me to play through. Really throws me off. Today I avg 15 minutes on the tee box and I just couldn't get a swing or rhythm set up. I went: left, right, fat, and thin. Very frustrating. Especially with so much OB in play I last at least 6 balls

My Mixed-Bag:

I find playing behind a slow group or one that doesn't allow me to play through. Really throws me off. Today I avg 15 minutes on the tee box and I just couldn't get a swing or rhythm set up. I went: left, right, fat, and thin. Very frustrating. Especially with so much OB in play I last at least 6 balls

Ironically I struggle on the greens a lot more when I play alone. I tend to hit my putts without much of a read. Then when I get stuck behind a group my swing goes to hell because you can't get a feel for it. I like playing in a fast 4 some or 2 some. For some reason that always seems to get me into a rhythm and playing my best.

I was reflecting on this thread earlier today as I finished my round and hit the range. I scored well, hit some good shots but made two where the heck did that come from doubles. I'm not hitting it great. There are just so many things that can go wrong and it's normally something simple, grip, ball position, alignment, spine angle at address, stance width, something that you have total control over.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ironically I struggle on the greens a lot more when I play alone. I tend to hit my putts without much of a read. Then when I get stuck behind a group my swing goes to hell because you can't get a feel for it. I like playing in a fast 4 some or 2 some. For some reason that always seems to get me into a rhythm and playing my best.

Playing with a group when things are moving allows me to focus more for sure. I am a big fan of ready golf and only take one practice swing and less to think about. Just got an update my hcp had gone done to a 7.9!

My Mixed-Bag:

When I realize that my game is spiraling out of control, I remember the mantra of Julius Boros...."Swing Easy, Hit Hard".   I read his book titled the dsame when I was in my twenties.  Although I cannot remeber anything from the book, I do remeber the title and that mantra gets me back to square in my game....Swing Easy, Hit Hard.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That's why, for me, the importance of having a routine comes into play. There are times where I fallout of my routine and when I figure out the problem, usually points to that.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Archived