TESTERS WANTED! ×

Back to GolfTEC--Long

I had purchased a package last year from GolfTEC.  Used about 6 lessons and some video practice sessions, found them generally helpful.  Useful in many ways, particularly in getting a good set up.  Then starting last summer, had a series of issues with my parents' health and living situation that took a lot of time and travel through December.  Then, this spring, the back surgery for the Neurostimulator.  

Finally, went back to talk to them.  My lesson package had expired, but they're letting me use the balance.  

New instructor.  Have had two sessions.  First lesson, based on my input on current problems, focused on getting my hands further forward at impact position.  Concept and results during the lesson were good, but I couldn't carry it to the course or range.  Actually, pretty disastrous results.

Second try today.  Described the issues I was having.  Took several swings. Showed me the swing videos.  Step 1.   Hip rotation was a problem  Little bit of slide (looked like an inch maybe), but more important was the lower spine position at the top of the backswing.  They use sensors and they have their proprietary analysis of angles and positions during various points in the swing.  There is one sensor in the center of the lower back.  It was barely moving forward at the top of the backswing.  He showed me how with the proper turn of the pelvis around the spine, it should actually move forward a few inches.  I was turning my right hip around and then up, instead of continuing the rotation around the spine (this was indicated by my left knee collapsing moderately backwards instead of flexing a bit forward).  Practiced the proper hip turn, understood the concept and the visualization of that sensor moving forward, and felt good.  Couple of swings had a big pull draw, however.

Step 2.  Ok, from that proper hip rotation position, video showed I was using my old downswing swing path, which from this position was significantly over the top.  Pro then did the old grabbing my club at the top of the backswing and manually moving it into the proper slot and then doing the same thing with my prior swing path.  Somehow something clicked.  And, from that proper hip rotation position, I was able to feel and execute an in to out swing plane.  I've tried and tried to do that before, but it always felt forced (and the results were forced).

Long story short, a few swings to get the feel.  Right away, I was getting right to left draws that were at the target, albeit usually thin.  But decent and long balls according to the monitor.  But the real shocking thing was a side by side comparison of two swings, first--after step 1, but before step 2.  and second, after both steps.  If you imaging a shot from down the line where the clubhead in the downswing is back to parallel with the ground, there was about a 3 FOOT difference in clubhead position!  Granted, the second position was a bit too far inside, but its amazing I could get the club in two such dramatically different positions.

Today's result--Practiced a bit afterwards on my own with the video monitor.  It was different, but was able to execute several good shots.  The best was (drum roll) 20 yds of carry and 25 yards of total distance over the best of the shots I hit in warm ups (and a good 10 yards further than I have ever hit a six iron)!  A 10 mph increase in swing speed, and I wasn't trying to hit it hard, just good contact. 

The current pro I'm working with is very good at helping me visualize and execute these little swing adjustments.

Big test will come tomorrow at the range, to see whether I can carry this over or will it screw me up even more (as lessons often do).  Feeling pretty good about it tonite. however.  :D

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Glad they let you use the lesson time. Seems only fair with the surgery and all, and it looks like it's paying off. Hang on the the swing thoughts/feel.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good to see they let you use the package still.  I have taken a few GolfTec lessons, and it really is crazy seeing your swings progression in the video.  For me personally, it has taken a bit of time to transition my swing outside (Range and course).  Very helpful though and hope your range session goes great!

Driver- Titleist 913 D2

3 Wood- RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid- Cobra Bio Cell

Irons- Wilson Staff Tour V6

Wedges- Titleist Vokey 54/58

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1

It sounds so complicated. I'm glad your back is feeling up to lessons. I'm debating what to do, I have a lesson coupon at my course and also a playing lesson with the pro. But I took lessons from someone else last year and they went well. I've come close to wanting one this year but have been able to solve the problem myself so far.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Range went pretty good.  Limited data, but I really think this swing thought of moving that dot in the middle of my back towards the target gets me in the proper position to make a smooth on the correct path downswing.  No weak right shots today, which have been killing me lately.  Definitely will have to get used to drawing the ball.  On course tomorrow morning.  We'll see!

Ok, did not translate to the course well at all.  Not many positive shots at all.  Average results through the first eight holes, then the heat starting getting to me and could hardly hit the ball.  Rev--same thing that happened when we played, after five more holes of dizziness and shortness of breath, had to sit out the rest of the round.  Only second time this has ever happened to me.  94 degrees, no wind and high humidity at the time we finished.  I'm going to hydrate the night before the next round--and get more comfortable with the lesson changes.

Ok, did not translate to the course well at all.  Not many positive shots at all.  Average results through the first eight holes, then the heat starting getting to me and could hardly hit the ball.  Rev--same thing that happened when we played, after five more holes of dizziness and shortness of breath, had to sit out the rest of the round.  Only second time this has ever happened to me.  94 degrees, no wind and high humidity at the time we finished.  I'm going to hydrate the night before the next round--and get more comfortable with the lesson changes.

Yikes. I hit the range a few days ago when it was 110 outside. Couldn't get through a bucket of balls before I was physically shot. Rehydrated at work and that seemed to be the culprit. Played today and made sure to keep hydrated. Didn't have much of an issue, so now considering the season here in the desert my plan is to drink 4-5 water bottles when I play.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I always drink a ton of water when it's hot out. Usually drink a lot the day before anyway (we have a hydration program at work anyway). Then the day of the round I refrain from my favored beer and go with water and NO sports drinks. Water only and at least 1/2 dozen 20 oz bottles during the round.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I always drink a ton of water when it's hot out. Usually drink a lot the day before anyway (we have a hydration program at work anyway). Then the day of the round I refrain from my favored beer and go with water and NO sports drinks. Water only and at least 1/2 dozen 20 oz bottles during the round.

I'm definitely going to do the day before hydrating, but why no sports drinks?  I didn't mention that during the round last week, I drank a lot of fluids but it was one sports drink and many glasses of water which I had dropped those electrolyte pills that are supposed to help you.  Maybe I overdid it with them.  

Too much sugar in the typical sports drink. If you are involved in any serious sports these days, you will notice that the traditional 'sports drinks' have been relegated to the duffers out there. Very specialized products have completely replaced the traditional 'sports drink'.

For example, I use a product for triathlons that I drink 60 minutes before a race, and then supplement during an event with a 'salt tab', plain water or water with a Nuun tablet in it.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

The dissolving pills I use are called FAST&UP.  Caffeine free, only 10 calories.  Amino acids, vitamins and minerals.  Box does say 1 tablet a day dosage, I had 3 the other day.  The sport drink was G2, which is supposedly low cal, but I see now it does have 12g of sugar.  

Sorry to hear about this Jax. I do think the hydrating the day before route is the way to go and take a little drink evry hole whether you need it or not. When it's hot I do a little trail mix or nuts along the way too. I also skip the beer.

Let us know how it goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived