Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Brewing Beer at a Brewery

JspartansC

I work in a multi industry business. One of their operations is in the beer industry.

Today I had the opportunity to actually go to a craft brewery and brew some beer. Let me tell you, it was an awesome learning experience.

We created the mash, heated up the wort, added hops and then started the cooling and yeast process.

It was a full day activity, but it was a ton of fun. It has inspired me to start home brewing small batches. One of ht either business we run is farming, and we started small hops farm as well, so I have most of what I need to brew for...free!!!!

Does anyone else home brew? Have any of you had a chance to brew with a brewery?

I home brew, every beer I drink at home. Haven't gone to a brewery and to be honest, have no real desire to. Sure, it'd be interesting, but I'm more interested in getting into the kitchen of a top restaurant.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Matt you should come down here - Berns (a top 10 steakhouse in any list I've ever seen) gives kitchen tours as part of the experience. 

I've home brewed with friends but never done it on my own - it's fun - I was also a beer salesman a long time ago in a galaxy far away (alright Connecticut).  It was at the dawn of the micro brew phenomena.  I got to tour a couple of facilities. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Actually Rev, we're coming down to the Ft Myers area permanently in 7-10 years, when my wife can retire. My plan, because I don't have the time in to retire, is to buy a cafe somewhere in the area because that's my passion outside of golf.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I tried a few times years ago to make some home brew. It was a fairly crude process at the time. My brew was not all that good I recall. Ok.... But not worth the effort. I don't see the necessity in home brewing but I suppose it's really more about the hobby aspect. There are just too many quality crafts on the market these days for me to even consider fooling around making my own. Certainly anything better.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I tried a few times years ago to make some home brew. It was a fairly crude process at the time. My brew was not all that good I recall. Ok.... But not worth the effort. I don't see the necessity in home brewing but I suppose it's really more about the hobby aspect. There are just too many quality crafts on the market these days for me to even consider fooling around making my own. Certainly anything better.

Price wise I've looked at it and it's a push at best. I'm not an IPA guy so I'm not interested in brewing hoppy beer. If I did it would be because all the local places stink and I have a lot of time on my hands. Two things I don't see happening. I totally agree about the hobby part, for some it turns into passion, for guys like me that thought about it, it's an expensive hobby to add onto golf.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Once you get the initial expense of equipment out of the way (about $250 for a decent basic setup) you can brew 2.5 cases, yes, 60 beers, for about $30. Plus, with the kits available today, it's really hard to brew a bad beer. Just my 2c.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I've just started home brewing, on my 3rd batch, so I can give you some of the pro's and cons.

Pro's -  It's fun and the beer produced is very good (at least mine have been).

Con's -  It's not cheaper than just buying beer, even after you amortize the equipment costs over many batches and it takes a LOT of time.   It is one month from cooking the mash to drinking the bottles and 2 to 3 hours of uninterrupted cooking time on the first day.   One gallon yields only 10 bottles of beer!   So it's nowhere near worth it time or money wise unless you do 5 gallons at a time, which will keep you stocked from one monthly batch to another.

All that said, I'm cooking my third batch today because I liked it.

My first two batches were Brooklyn Brewshop kits, which are fairly complete for small 1 gallon batches at $45.   Subsequent batches will cost $15 per.   These take you all the way from cooking the raw, cracked grain.   Other kits you just pour in bags of malt extract.   You will still need one or two brewing tubs, a cooking pan (big, preferably with a lid), bottles, caps and a capper, strainer as fine as you can get and a funnel.   If you look on ebay, you can find more complete set ups from guys who have given up the hobby.   I recommend this route.

My third batch will be larger, using supplies from Midwest Supplies.com.   Liquid yeast, which is riskier and the malt extract.   They sell copycat kits that allow you to mimic the recipes of the beer and ales you like.   So I'm trying a Bass Ale this time after doing an IPA and a blonde ale the last two times. 

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

I have home brewed in the past with buddies. One friend always has wine going and has over 600 bottles in his cellar at last count. He grows his own fruit for it as well. I did some beer with him and it was good. I priced everything out for a full bore setup like I'd want and it'd be another expensive hobby for me. I passed and just buy craft beer

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived