TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Experience with Single-Length Irons

GreenDoor

I actually play all my wedges the same length from pw-60. It definitely made it nice for full wedge shots.

That makes sense to me.  I don't often hit full shots with my wedges past the pitching wedge, but I might if the shafts were the same length.

I'm not sure I'd want my wedges at the same length as my 7 iron (like Bryson's set), though...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Sure if you use all identical shafts (say all 8i for example, you'd want all the heads to be 8i weight) , but if you use standard 3-PW shafts that should cover the normal difference in head weight....no?

No. The difference in head weight is an attempt to make them feel the same when swinging with different length shafts. If you made all the shafts the same length, the long irons would feel extremely light and the short irons would be very heavy.

I tried the 1 Iron Golf clubs under their 30 day money back guarantee.  I ended up sending the clubs back for a refund.  The concept worked fine.  I didn't like the feel or look of the 1 Iron clubs.  If they made a set with better heads (less game improvement), I would try them again.  

No. The difference in head weight is an attempt to make them feel the same when swinging with different length shafts. If you made all the shafts the same length, the long irons would feel extremely light and the short irons would be very heavy.

Couldn't this be overcome with either lead tape, tungsten powder or tip weights?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Couldn't this be overcome with either lead tape, tungsten powder or tip weights?

You would have to match the heaviest head. If you went single length through PW, you would have to add 49 grams to the 3i. No way to put that much in tip weights and powder. That much lead tape wouldn't even stay on. It would start peeling off. If you managed to match weights and everything was made to 7i length, everything would be a very heavy swing weight. If you included everything through your SW, it would be even worse.

OK, thanks Blade!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

You would have to match the heaviest head. If you went single length through PW, you would have to add 49 grams to the 3i. No way to put that much in tip weights and powder. That much lead tape wouldn't even stay on. It would start peeling off. If you managed to match weights and everything was made to 7i length, everything would be a very heavy swing weight. If you included everything through your SW, it would be even worse.

What the "trick" is in matching the short irons weight to the long iron weight that is why to properly build a set it has to be extensively engineered from the start on the head and go from there. In the case of Bryson's Irons I can see why it was stated that it took a great deal of time to get them right. Had to get the head weights right and then the bounce right for him and then with those Jumbo Max grips you had to deal with the overall balance of the club. Like I said I can see where there would be a lot of engineering and time involved

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

It really is a fascinating concept and one that makes sense to me.  Would I buy a set of One Irons clubs - nope.  Why?  They look as has already been said really tacky/cheap and straight out of the nineteen eighties.  Put a set of MP 54 heads with those nice shiny forged heads on 'em and I'm there in a heart beat.

On a slightly different tack I can remember Leadbetter and Faldo talking about producing a swing that was essentially mechanically the same with every club and that was what they strove to achieve for Faldo when they rebuilt his swing.  I guess it worked to a degree when he became world no.1 for that period and won all those majors.  I can remember watching Faldo's instructional video and he did a sequence where he hit a ball with every club in the bag and the idea was to be able to pick when he changed clubs.  It was easy when he got to the woods because they had "wooden heads".  Not a chance with the irons though such was his tempo and rhythm :) 

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Unfortunately, I don't have Bryson's driving average of 301; he has me beat by about 40 yards.  And I don't have his Iron-Byronesque swing either; my swing is fairly traditional.  But I do use a standard 45" driver, 43" 3 wood, and 41" hybrid (17 degrees); only my core iron set is all the length of a typical 8 iron.  The clubs from One Iron do come standard with jumbo grips, but I replaced them with standard grips after a few weeks.

The makeup of their standard set is as follows: 3i - 19 degrees, 4i - 23, 5i - 27, 6i - 31, 7i - 35, 8i - 39, 9i - 43, PW - 47, GW - 51, SW - 55, and LW - 59 degrees.  The club head lie angles are all 63.5 degrees, the bounce all 3 degrees (except for SW which has 6), the offset all 3.175mm, and the head weights all 273 grams.  I know they make a pro-level set which has slightly lighter head weights and one degree less bounce, but I have never hit those. 

As for wedges, I only play their PW and SW as the gapping worked out well for me.  I don't find their SW to be any longer or harder to hit than a standard SW as I have experimented with both on the course and on the range.  I only keep my standard LW because it gives me a different bounce option than is offered with this set.

So in all honesty, I have probably stunted my game over the years by moving from set to set, usually through ebay, knowing I could just sell it if it didn't work out.  Hell, I even got 'fit' at one of the box stores a few times, but nothing took hold.  In this case, it took a lot of self-convincing to order a set with One Iron because I knew I would not be able to trade them in if they were lousy.  I know if you buy new, they give you 30 days to try them out, but I really don't think that is long enough to see if this would work for you.  Physiologically, it makes absolute sense, but in my case, what I think or expect can color my judgment regardless of data (damn you, quantum wave-particle duality principle;-)

And Big Stu is right, you can't simply cut down your current irons because each of your specific irons is manufactured to different weights and lie angles.  Bryson essentially replicated the work the One Iron guys had done with his Edel irons; the One Irons are all manufactured/cast in the same weight/lie configurations but at different lofts.  Once I got comfortable with these irons, I was able to just about replicate what One Iron had published regarding quality of hit and loft being way more influential on ball flight and distance than the extra half inch you typically get per iron.  Of course, you don't need me to verify that; just look at Bryson's growing body of work.

And I do wish other companies would get on board with this trend.  I like One Iron for what they are doing, but have never found their club heads all that attractive.  I would also like more options regarding shafts and offset as well.  Maybe I could try Edel if I could get a good price and there wasn't too much lead tape involved.

As precise as Edel is there should not be any lead tape involved because of the way he would build them from the ground up in other words Total Engineering

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 4 months later...

I received this email today from ValueGolf.com saying that their single length irons will be available in a couple of weeks.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=813bc67f3cc9ab903d39ecd4f&id=bca6d685a0&e=024d24d66c

Made of 431 Stainless and all heads are 272g; suggested standard playing length is 7i

Available in 4-LW and a 4H.  Price seems reasonable at $18.95 per head.  Completed clubs with a selection of shafts is available at added cost.

Not sure if I want to give this a try or not.  Might be intriguing, but would mean that I give up my SCORs!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

Finished building a set of Pinhawks from Value Golf this past week.  Each head is 270 grams, paired with 70 gram Steel Fiber shafts from Aero Tech and Winn W5 grips.  The heads were made of 431 stainless which works very well on the bending machine as mine needed to be bent a degree flat from the factory 62.5 degrees.  The lofts were as advertised with only two being one degree low which was fixed when the lie was adjusted.  The heads are USGA legal.

Hitting into a net on the launch monitor right now as the conditions here are a bit soggy.  After the holidays they'll get a good work out and more about them will be written.  Looking forward to the new concept of playing each shot from the same spot in the stance, terrain adjustments considered, and having the same feel as the MOI is matched perfectly with the set.  

I'm glad this thread got refreshed, after swinging for the first time in close to 2 months my aging body is telling me it might be time to consider something like this...  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it would be somewhat easier on the body to maintain a consistent posture throughout the set with single length irons.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

So being the club-ho that I am, I have a couple old sets that I mess around with, but I always seem to find my way back to the single-length clubs.  Since I started this thread last Summer, I have only switched away once and quickly returned after the honeymoon effect wore off, as it always seems to. 

Admittedly, when I really middle a 4 iron from a standard set, I do get a few more yards, but as a 10 handicapper, I stubbornly realized I am better off playing the averages rather than hoping for the outlier.  The value of the single length clubs for me really has been the distance consistency, especially when playing.  I don't believe hitting them off range mats does the concept justice.

I do hope that other companies will start to offer more single length fitting options, but am not holding my breath as this flies smack in the face to most of their current marketing of potential distance over average distance.

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. Are they all 8 iron shafts or are they 3,4,5 etc. shafts cut to the same length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Disregard last transmission. I was reading this on the new TapaTalk app and it skipped page 2 where this is discussed in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

tom wishon has a set coming out in march, on his website now for those that are interested.

Tom Wishon Q&A on single length irons.

http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

I just happened to see his YouTube video on these clubs over the weekend. And now I've read what he had to say about SL clubs. You just can't beat Tom's knowledge, experience, honesty, and integrity. At the bottom of his Q&A page on the irons he says he's a little biased....  he also says the SL irons might not be for everyone. He says some may even find them Weird. Do you ever think you'd hear something like that from TaylorMade or Ping, or Titleist, etc. Not in a million years. If one of those companies comes out with any SL sets you can bet they'll claim theirs are the holy grail.

Also as a side note... the Sterling SL club heads Tom designed have a similar look to my 771's.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The Sterling irons are definitely interesting. I looked around and might have missed it but didn't see if they'd be available in LH.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, no lefties yet, but I do expect these Sterling's will generate some buzz as the head design does look good. Hopefully Tom will consider it once he see's how his sales go.

Thanks

TLT DAN

True Length Technology

True Frequency Technology

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

This is what I don't understand. If the irons are the same length, then the different loft irons must be of approximately the same weight as well--either that or a progressive rather than constant swingweight.

How do they figure out the loft gaps, and are those constant or progressive as well?

It seems very counterintuitive to me.

Somebody should do a scientific explanation of how it's supposed to work.

This is what I don't understand. If the irons are the same length, then the different loft irons must be of approximately the same weight as well--either that or a progressive rather than constant swingweight.

How do they figure out the loft gaps, and are those constant or progressive as well?

It seems very counterintuitive to me.

Somebody should do a scientific explanation of how it's supposed to work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455105239.994489.jpg

Here is a list of their specs. The only thing that is different is their loft.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Works for Bryson Dechamboue. He's been pretty hot recently playing with the pros. Could be an interesting topic at the masters if he keeps playing this well. As for me I hit my normal bland set pretty well so I'll stick with them for now.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 1 year later...

I just received my new Cobra F7 One single length irons. I have been fascinated by the possibility since I started learning a bit about club making many years ago.  I have decided to write about my experiences with the Cobras on my golf blog- if you are interested, take a look and feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

linkswanderer.com

Archived