Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Kids These Days - A 20-Something Golf Business Venture!

GolfSpy Barbajo

Guys - the whole point of this thread was to share with you the story of 4 hard working young men who came up with an idea for a golf-related business, took a risk and are close to making it a reality. I admire anyone with that kind of entrepreneurial spirit because those types becomes the movers and shakers of the world.  

Are these things for everyone? No - hell, I wouldn't wear them, but I do admire the work they've put into their business plan.  And I think the concept is fairly obvious - footwear for kids (and to me, anyone under 30 is a kid) who are casual golfers who may prefer buying something like this as opposed to regular golf shoes.  I don't think there's any more to it than that...just some flip flops to play golf in.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The thing is, though, it said that about polos and khakis so I'm trying to figure out if the target demo is people who won't be wearing proper golf attire. That's all

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Perhaps it's just me, I can't play in anything but golf shoes. I tried sneakers and slip around. I don't wear flip flops unless I'm at the beach or around the house. I haven't rocked sandals in years. I'd give them a try but probably wouldn't buy them.

As for innovation: It's a good story, but at the end of the day it's spikes on sandals. It's not exactly shot link or anything revolutionary.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

This is a good story and I hope the best for these guys. Some people live in flip flops or sandals all summer, or even year round in warm climates. I bet these will be a no-brainer for them. I'm not in that category myself, but plenty of people are. Good job making an idea come to life!

This would definitely be interesting in a pop to the course and practice scenario.

I was thinking the same thing. These would work for a short game or putting practice session.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 2 weeks later...

Update -- the boys are making progress toward their KickStarter goal -- and they're getting some local press.  

Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal article

And this piece appeared on WCCO-TV:

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ha. I keep reading these sandals are for people that want to have fun when they golf. Or something to that effect. Hell, I have fun every time I play golf and I do it wearing Golf Shoes!!

Who knows... these guys may be on to a coming trend. Perhaps one day we'll play golf wearing a towel instead of shorts along with our shower sandal golf shoes. Don't laugh.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ha. I keep reading these sandals are for people that want to have fun when they golf. Or something to that effect. Hell, I have fun every time I play golf and I do it wearing Golf Shoes!!

Who knows... these guys may be on to a coming trend. Perhaps one day we'll play golf wearing a towel instead of shorts along with our shower sandal golf shoes. Don't laugh.

I'm pretty sure you and I are most definitely not in their target demographic...  :blink:

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm really looking forward to trying these out. I won a pair on a local pick the US Open winner contest. I have a driver swing speed over 125 so I will sure put them to the test. Also if they help bring younger golfers out to the course that's great. This product might not be for everyone but new ideas (golf related idea not so much foot golf type of ideas) is what golf needs right now. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Guys - the whole point of this thread was to share with you the story of 4 hard working young men who came up with an idea for a golf-related business, took a risk and are close to making it a reality. I admire anyone with that kind of entrepreneurial spirit because those types becomes the movers and shakers of the world.  

Are these things for everyone? No - hell, I wouldn't wear them, but I do admire the work they've put into their business plan.  And I think the concept is fairly obvious - footwear for kids (and to me, anyone under 30 is a kid) who are casual golfers who may prefer buying something like this as opposed to regular golf shoes.  I don't think there's any more to it than that...just some flip flops to play golf in.

Don't you mean under 50 there birthday boy? It is today isn't it? I hope you're having a great one.

For what it's worth I'm in the leave the young men alone camp. I don't care what people wear when they play.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hear new ideas is what golf needs. Needs. What new ideas exactly? What's missing where new ideas will make the game better. Better for who? Better in what way? I get the feeling that those who think golf needs new ideas don't really understand the game. Golf is hard and it's NOT for everyone. Neither is downhill snow skiing. Golf takes years or even a lifetime to become proficient. If at all. Golf can be expensive. Or not. Golf takes a lot of time and devotion. While we're fixing things why don't we fix baseball or hockey, or football? Let's fix soccer too while we're at it. Any ideas?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Those sports actually are trying to fix themselves. Rules in football change all the time. Game is constantly evolving. Same for hockey. Both are tuned to maximize scoring which is what the public wants to see. More viewers. More money. Baseball is behind the times and that is also why it is struggling more than any other major sport in this country right now. But even baseball is trying to speed up games and pace of play so people stay more clued in. Baseball and golf are the most similar in this regard because they are both games built in tradition and history. It also holds them back somewhat from maximizing their potential. Personally I love golf the way it is but not everyone else does. Football is by far the most popular sport in the country right now and it is the one that is constantly evolving the fastest.

Scratch that, I hate 4+ hour rounds LOL

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

To quote Aaron Rodgers -- R-E-L-A-X, it's just a freaking flip flop for golf!!!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

To quote Aaron Rodgers -- R-E-L-A-X, it's just a freaking flip flop for golf!!!

Happy Bday old man. LOL You have to give me 2.5 a side by the way.

Happy Bday old man. LOL You have to give me 2.5 a side by the way.

Only if you're playing in flip flops 😎😎😎

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Graham,

I think you're confused in your thinking as in terms of viewing popularity versus participation popularity. I'm with you 100% that football is by far most highly watched sport, but just watching the MLB All-Star game there's no way Americas youth isn't playing baseball.

I'd be shocked if football is popular among Americas you with this pussification- covering their kids in bubble wrap- everyone's an all star- no need for scores generation. You Play To Win The Game!!!

I think they go hand in hand in most regards. I know baseball doesn't seem like nearly as big of a deal in my area as when I was younger. While football on the other hand has grown by leaps and bounds. Maybe that's just my perspective though. Totally agree with you about the trophies for everyone crap. It teaches a bad lesson to kids. Put in whatever effort you want and in the end you will all be rewarded equally. Makes perfect sense.... NOT

I know this is veering off subject but...

I recall early this spring I played with a guy and his early teen son. The son was hoping to make the Freshman golf team. It was a disgusting display put on by the father of this boy. (the boy wasn't any good by the way) Regardless of how bad a shot the son hit the father praised him. It was like the more the father praised the sons bad play the more the kid began melting down. By the end of the round the spoiled son was mostly riding in the cart and playing on his cell phone. I could tell the father was embarrassed but he was an enabler and a wuss. There was no way this kid would ever make a golf team.

Yea I used to have people tell me their kids were gonna play college baseball after finding out that I played college ball. I never had the heart to tell them they didn't have a prayer. Some people just can't cope with reality Plaidjacket. The guy in your story specifically

I tried these this weekend and loved them. Got my pair for pledging to their kickstarter. It was 90 degrees out so perfect day to help keep the feet cool. Traction as great and could still take full swings and felt supported.

Will definitely wear them on hot days and around town - very classy and the memory foam is very comfy.

Feet felt great during and after the round.

I'm a fan! Going to order a different color.

Hmm... but are you allowed to enter a golf course wearing a "flip flop" like this?  Some golf courses require golfers to wear polo, long/short pants and a pair of golf shoes.   

Just some critisim, when you swing and finish the follow through, your right foot are lifted.  If you are wearing a flip flop, does it put pressure on your big toe

I've played in them at 5 star courses and they were cool with them. If you have a collared shirt and golf shorts you'll probably be OK most places except snooty private clubs. They don't put any more pressure on your big toe than a regular shoe - it's cupped by the front of the sandal - great design!

Archived