Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

All Star Bag

I'm facing one of those weeks. Two funerals for people that I was very close to, stress over the building project galore, refereed a ten rounder between the school principal and the Day School board last night. I'm not in a happy place which means very little sleep. So as I lay awake around four I thought of this topic, What is my All Star Bag? What club has been my favorite in every category? Here's what I came up with:

Driver: PGA Tommy Armor (my favorite golf club ever)

3 W. Titleist 903

5 W. Ping Eye 2

Irons. Ping Eye 2

Wedge SCOR

Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy

A couple of interesting notes. I really only had one tough choice and that was between the SCOR wedges or my Ping Eye2 SW. In reality if I were putting this bag together I would probably have a SCOR 57 or 58 as my top club. It edges the Eye 2 because I'm better out of the sand with it. Also, while I like hybrids none that I've owned stood out as a favorite. I'd have to go with the Eye 2 3 iron to gap to the 5 wood. I was so good with that club that guys shook when I had 210 into a green. Even though I owned a 2 iron and had previously loved my Ram 2 iron the Ping became a charcoal poker pretty much as soon as I hit the 5 wood for the first time.

Finally in every case except the SCORs it was love at first swing and all of these clubs except the three wood and the SCORs spent close to a decade in my bag. (The SCORs haven't been around for that long and three woods are three woods, I just picked my favorite but really who cares? They are all the same, unreliable pieces of crap. :))

What's your all star bag and why?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My GOAT bag is a tough one... And coming up with this makes me question why I'm not playing any of that now... Maybe it's because I don't play much anymore and the ball and rules have changed a lot.

Driver- Ping ISI Tec 7* (still have it)

Fairway- Orlimar TriMetal (long long gone)

Hybrid- Adams Original Peanut (gaming)

Iron Set- Titleist 681 T Model Blades (long gone)

Wedges- Callaway X Forged with MD Grooves (damn groove rules)

Putter- Scotty Cameron Coronado MS Justin Leonard model (will own again)

Bag- Ping Hoofer Custom (college bag)

Ball- Strata ML Balata or the Snell MTB

Shoes- Footjoy Classics white saddle with the leather sole and nails

Hmmmmn Good topic Rev and I'm sorry to hear you are stressed out.  My all star bag it's really not that hard now that I think about it save the irons choice.  There are three contenders in that category and they were all great clubs that I have lots of good memories with.

Driver: Ping G25 12 degree

3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 850 15 degree

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX850 22 degree

Irons: Taylor Made Tour Preferred Blade 4- SW

Wedges: Mizuno 52 degree MP T4 Vokey 60 degree Lob

Putter: Odyssey 2Ball Fang

The driver was a no brainer for me, its a club I have always struggled with and I bomb the G25 when I hit it properly, first driver I ever hit 300 yards plus.  The 3 wood I bought this year and is simply the best, most accurate and longest 3 wood I have owned.  Ditto for the Hybrids.  The irons were the irons I bought when I committed to get down to a single figure handicap in the 1990's.  They were the most beautiful thing I had seen and when you pured them they were even more beautiful.  I got down to a five handicap using them which up until this year I had never bettered.  This year I got down to 4.5.  The putter is just another putter that works mostly.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Hmmmmn Good topic Rev and I'm sorry to hear you are stressed out.  My all star bag it's really not that hard now that I think about it save the irons choice.  There are three contenders in that category and they were all great clubs that I have lots of good memories with.

Driver: Ping G25 12 degree

3 Wood: Mizuno JPX 850 15 degree

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX850 22 degree

Irons: Taylor Made Tour Preferred Blade 4- SW

Wedges: Mizuno 52 degree MP T4 Vokey 60 degree Lob

Putter: Odyssey 2Ball Fang

The driver was a no brainer for me, its a club I have always struggled with and I bomb the G25 when I hit it properly, first driver I ever hit 300 yards plus.  The 3 wood I bought this year and is simply the best, most accurate and longest 3 wood I have owned.  Ditto for the Hybrids.  The irons were the irons I bought when I committed to get down to a single figure handicap in the 1990's.  They were the most beautiful thing I had seen and when you pured them they were even more beautiful.  I got down to a five handicap using them which up until this year I had never bettered.  This year I got down to 4.5.  The putter is just another putter that works mostly.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Stupid double post :mad:

My Bag

@ apprenti no it was the "classic" black one. I had that stupid 5 wood forever.  I did not purchase Ping Eye 2 woods with the irons nor for that matter did I purchase the SW.  The SW was a present from my wife for my 30th birthday - seems so long ago and it was. 

I can't recall what woods I was using at the time but I do believe I went with a set of Eye 2's the next spring.  I remember that I only got the 5 wood because it came with the set.  But after a while I realized that the course I was playing needed a high shot that went 210-220, when it got firm my 2 iron was running out into all types of trouble so I put the 5 wood in - that was 1987, it stayed in until it was stolen along with the rest of my clubs in the summer of '05.  I was still money in the bank with it even then.  After that I switched to hybrids and have only just rebagged a 5 wood again last spring. 

I stayed away from balls - I suppose it would be the Ram Tour balata for nostalgias sake, that or the Titleist 90 compression balata.   

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nice Topic Rev,

After thinking a bit, I guess this is my All Star Bag.

Woods:  Powerbilt Citation Driver, 3W & 4W

Irons:  Nicklaus Muirfield 3-PW

Wedge:  Wilson R90

Putter:  Arnold Palmer Blade

Ball:  Titleist DT100 Wound

This was my bag way back when I was a 10 Handicap.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I don't have quite as much to choose from as most people on this thread but here goes.

Driver: Titleist 905S  

Fairway metal: TEE CB4 Tour 

Irons: Top Flite Tour Midsize (not what your expecting I'm sure but this is back when they made decent golf clubs)

Wedges: Scratch 8620 D/S

Putter: Sadly I can't remember the name but it was cheap anser style putter that I played with through high school.

I will see if I can find the name of that old putter. I gave it to my brother when I graduated high school. I bought myself an odyssey #7 with some of my graduation that summer. Never could seem to putt consistently with it lol. The irons I choose because they were what I played for the majority of my life. The driver was probably my favorite club of all time. Its either that or my Scratch lob wedge. I absolutely love/loved both. I don't have a favorite ball. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

When my clubs were stolen I had a brand new Titleist 905 fit for me by my Pro in Sheboygan.  I had the club for less than a month.  I was so bummed out, it was the first time I was fit for a piece of equipment other than the lie angle on the Pings. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I had a set of those Top-Flite Tour irons!!! Back when Lee Trevino played them! AHAH!

I didn't have them for long though as IIRC that was the time the Hogan Apex blades came out, late 90's right? Those Apex irons were the cat's pajams!

I didn't have a whole lot of choice in the clubs I got back then. I think I got them for Xmas in either 99 or 2000 and played them until 2011. So i played them from around 6th or 7th grade until I was a senior in college. They made a good stick back them. Thankfully for my parents, I didn't know alot about golf equipment back in the day. 

Rev I'm sorry to hear that! I loved my 905 and I think you prolly would have as well. 

Mmmmmm...  Goat bag..

Driver: TaylorMade 360 with the UST ProForce 65 in it.  Big, and ugly, but I hit the longest drives of my life with that thing. I had it until about 5 years ago..

Fw: This is a tie.: Titleist PT 13° and the SLDR-s 17° - Depending on the ball technology, each one has been the GOAT.

Hybrid: Affinity 19° hybrid. I found this in the local shop for $39, and NEVER missed a fairway with it from the tee.  NEVER.  I was sad when my clubs got jacked, and the Affinity was gone forever.

Irons: Mizuno MP-14's 1-Pw TTDG X100 - Back when I could play.

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTG 52° 56° 60°

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2 Ball. - Bought this off the rack, and never putted better, until it went missing the same time as my Affinity Hybrid...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I would go with my college bag which I still have everything in it...

Driver:  McHenry Metals Tour Pure II with a Penley XX and 5.5* of loft

Irons :  1 - LW Ping Eye 2

Putter:  Cameron Catalina Oil Can and a Newport 2 TeI3

Never carried a FW or hybrid until I was out of school for a year or two.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Driver: Adams 9032 LD

Fairways: Nike VR Pro Limited

Irons: Bridgestone J36 MB

Wedges: VR Pro X3X

Putter: Odyssey ProType iX

Ball: Nike One Black

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I would go with my college bag which I still have everything in it...

Driver:  McHenry Metals Tour Pure II with a Penley XX and 5.5* of loft

Irons :  1 - LW Ping Eye 2

Putter:  Cameron Catalina Oil Can and a Newport 2 TeI3

Never carried a FW or hybrid until I was out of school for a year or two.

Well if we are talking college I'm going RAWLINGS 35/33. That's was my fisr aluminum bat. I could really hit the crap out of it with that bad boy.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Driver:  Mizuno Pro 300s

3-wood:  Nike Vr pro limited

4wood: Cleveland Quad-Pro

Irons: Mizuno MP-33's

Wedges:  Tmag Rac Y-cutters

Putter:  TPA XV111 circa 2015

Ball:  Titleist Professional 100

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Driver: Macgregor Mactec NVG2  (Occasionally bring it out to play; it's loud)

3 Wood & 7 Wood: Sonartec LS-99  (best fairway wood I have ever hit, and it's 10 years old!)

9 Wood: Arnold Palmer Trouble Wood 29*  (My wife still uses it)

Irons: Macgregor Tourney VIP 1025M  (still love the looks of these clubs)

Wedges: Ping Eye2  54, 60  (tough to pull these out of the bag, but the SCORs are longer and more versatile)

Putter: Boccieri Heavy Putter C2-DF 31in  (will only replace if I find another putter with head weight greater than 400g).

I still have all of these clubs.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Driver:  Mizuno Pro 300s

4wood: Cleveland Quad-Pro

300s was an awesome driver and I wish they could make today's drivers look and feel/sound just like that one!

I had a quad pro four wood after david toms made it popular- didn't last long though!

300s was an awesome driver and I wish they could make today's drivers look and feel/sound just like that one!

I had a quad pro four wood after david toms made it popular- didn't last long though!

The 300S was LEGIT !!!!!

Still on the hunt for a gently used quadpro..........

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Well if we are talking college I'm going RAWLINGS 35/33. That's was my fisr aluminum bat. I could really hit the crap out of it with that bad boy.

I was and still am an Easton Black Magic guy...... when I played ball in college 34"/31 oz and now that I am older 32"/29 oz.

WITB 2024

I was and still am an Easton Black Magic guy...... when I played ball in college 34"/31 oz and now that I am older 32"/29 oz.

33/30 Easton Stealth Comp for myself. Sounded dead as hell and got hottest right before it busted.

First off Rev I am sorry you are stressed out. Few folks realize Ministers are humans like the rest of us. I will remember you this week in my prayers as I do for all Ministers in all faiths.
I guess I am lucky that I still play some of my greatest clubs ever (see my signature) My favorite driver of all time was my Power Bilt persimmon blonde that cracked for it's last fatal time around 97 or so. I still have it in the closet. My best irons would be a toss up between my current Mac VIP's or my 66 Power Bilt Horseshoe Citations which I wore completely out. My wedges would be my Hogan Equalizer and my R-90 Wilson. My 4 wood would be an old Spalding (circa 1962) Top Flite that cracked around the 80s. Putter absolutely no question my infamous Zing 2 which came back home to me and is in the bag now. Favorite ball of all time no question either Maxfli Balata HT- 100.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

There were no aluminum bats when I played ball.   :(

We got one my senior year in High School but of course I wasn't smart enough to use it. One guy ent from .250 to .450 junior to senior year. My college coach made us use them. My BA. Was the same in college as High School, always in the low .300's. Aluminum bats are worth 100 points on the BA.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think my GOAT clubs are what I currently carry in my bag.

Of course, that's subject to change...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Wbealsd I would agree if that is the set you have posted in your profile

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Driver: Titleist 975 J-VS 7.5 degrees with a Harrison Striper.  I hit bullets with that thing.  Second is an Adams 9032LS with a gold Matrix F7M2 LTD

Fairway: Titleist 980 series with an Aldila Cinnamon

Hybrid: Adams LSP

Irons: Tie: Titleist 681T and Mizuno TN87 (MP33 for the ones easy to get)

Wedges: Cleveland Reg.588 RTG

Putter: Hmm... Tough call... Right now my Mannkrafted MA/66 longneck

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

33/30 Easton Stealth Comp for myself. Sounded dead as hell and got hottest right before it busted.

We played in different eras.....they did not have this technology when I played.  I did get into some nice Demarini double wall bats when I started playing softball, but still always went back to the Easton Black Magic in the softball version.

WITB 2024

Archived