Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Member Review

apprenti23

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver – Review by Apprenti23

9* model on -1* setting and stock Tour 65 X-flex shaft

G30 LS Sole.JPG

INTRO

I have never really been a huge fan of Ping Golf, mainly because of an instance where an account was closed because my old boss sold a five year old shop worn putter for $50 off of the price he was supposed to, but that is neither here nor there. Many moons ago (mid 90's) I played a Ping driver. This was my first one and it was the Ping Zing 2 which was ugly as sin, but I loved the sound and feel of the steel head. Unfortunately for Ping then came the Big Bertha, Great Big Bertha, and TaylorMade Burners along with the introduction of titanium drivers. I went away from Ping clubs for a while, but when I was in college came the Ping ISI Tec driver. Whoa baby! This thing was an absolute BEAST of a driver and I loved it so much, that it is still in my bag of “classic drivers.” Fast forward 10-15 years and now we have speed fins and gravity cores with all kinds of adjustability. Last fall I hit the Ping G30, hated the look, hated the sound, but it was crazy easy to hit. Being a high launch, speed, and spin guy I was waiting for something stupid forgiving and low spin. Enter the Ping G30 LS Tec. One rainy day I stopped at the PGA Superstore to kill some time, and unfortunately for me they had a G30 LS in my specs. Flip flops and all, it took about five swings in the simulator and I was at the register…

G30 LS Head Only.JPG

Out with the old, in with the new

I have absolutely no problems admitting that I am a bonafide club hoe. I don't know if it's that I get bored with current equipment or if it's an addiction or what. But hey, it's cool. I would much rather be addicted to golf equipment than strippers and cocaine. At least that's what I tell my wife!

G30 LS Face Only.JPG

Every golf season, I get pretty much every “new and improved” driver that comes out from every company. Why? Because I can and because I want to. Being in my early 30's and fat and out of shape, my golf swing sucks; but somehow (smoke and mirrors mainly) I am still a decent player who can generate some speed. I'm not out there getting anything high launch or high spin or uber forgiving; it's not that I have an ego, but with my shitty swing those are just terrible fits for me. With that being said, my “gamer” driver for the better part of about 6 or 7 seasons has been the exact same. It's not forgiving, not even close to being easy to hit, but I'm comfortable with it and it is DAMN long. It is a 7.5* Adams Speedline Classic DF Prototype at 45.5” long with a Matrix Ozik Altus 2007 Proto with D7 swing weight. Basically a man's driver and sheer beauty. My driver is also very anti-left and I prefer to hit about a five yard cut with it off the tee; however, I can turn it over when I want or don't want. Here's an address pic-

Speedline Address.JPG

Now for the challenger- the Ping G30 LS Tec. This thing is ugly as sin! Turbulators? You're joking, right? This head shape is atrocious. The club looks like it's about 7* upright. When I lay it down it sits about 3* open. Not kidding, take a look-

G30 LS Soled Address.JPG

Now here's what it looks like when I “fix it” at address. Not bad, but still ugly.

G30 LS Address.JPG

Did I happen to mention that the G30 sounds god awful? My Speedline is fairly muted at impact. This G30 sounds like a damn TPX baseball bat! The sound of the G30 is annoyingly loud- not quite Nike Sumo SQ, but close. Figured I can fix that with hot melt, but have also heard of putting cotton balls in the head to fix the sound. So that's always an option. My iPhone microphone isn't the greatest sound bite, but here's a clip of how bad this thing sounds at impact-

https://soundcloud.com/user730657496/g30-ls

*no idea how to use this soundcloud site and i think i uploaded both into one? so it somehow is going to play a loop of the old and then the new? there is a difference, very subtle but there is!

When in the simulator at PGASS I only hit five balls because the sound was that bad, not because I “instantly knew it was love at first sight.” So, cotton ball treatment it is!

Fixing the sound

This is actually a pretty easy process, and using cotton balls in the driver head is technically “illegal” unless you have them fixed in the head. They don't weigh much so no worries about changing swing weights. I used four large cotton balls and have heard of guys using as few as two or as many as 16 to change the sound-

CB Bag.JPG

Grab four cotton balls...

4 CBs.JPG

Then I shredded the cotton balls.

Shredded CB.JPG

I weighed my driver head and it came out to 199 grams with the weight installed. The back weight weighs 9 grams as I weighed that individually as well. After removing the back weight, I found a golf tee with a similar diameter to stuff the cotton balls with.

LS With Tee.JPG

LS Tee Fit.JPG

I am sure there is a quicker, easier way of doing this. But, patience is a virtue and I don't mind.

IMG_5045.MOV

After installing the four cotton balls, the head weight of the G30 LS Tec head went up an enormous two grams. I figured, well that's not so bad. If it doesn't mute it enough, I can always add more. To the range we go! Here is the new sound:

https://soundcloud.com/user730657496/g30-ls-post-cb

*no idea how to use this soundcloud site and i think i uploaded both into one? so it somehow is going to play a loop of the old and then the new? there is a difference, very subtle but there is!

Like I said previously, not sure if you can tell over my iPhone microphone, but this thing sounds like a freaking HOWITZER now! Much more muted sound. I am content with the weight and sound, so I put a little bit of rattle stop in there to secure the cotton balls and make the club “legal.”

G30 LS Head Only.JPG

Performance on the Range

Not a huge range rat, usually, and when I do practice the majority of my time is working alignment with 6 or 8 irons and working at the same target trying to hit a variety of shots- draw, fade, low, and high with each. I don't really “work the ball” like that on the course unless I have to, but this way of practicing gets me more comfortable with my swing. I don't like hitting the same shots over and over and over.

This time I wanted to make a point of hitting driver. For comparison purposes I hit five balls with my old driver and seven with the G30. First two with the G30 were MASSIVE snap hooks. I'm talking so bad, the houses on the left side of OB weren't in danger, but the ones across the street from them were! I'm thinking to myself, oh no what have you done! This driver is shorter, lighter than and not nearly as anti-left as my previous gamer. So the next five balls I put some cut swings on and dear lord. All five balls were straight as a string, much flatter trajectory than my gamer, and I instantly think “Ladies and Gentleman, we have a producer!”

IMG_5275.JPG

Performance on the Course

The very next day I was scheduled to play in a Pro-Am at a course that I know better than any. I figured it would be a great day to test it out because I know where my ball normally ends up out there. It would also be a great day to test it out because the guys in my group all know how I hit my old gamer and they would be extremely critical if I were hitting this thing worse. Being that it was a scramble and I didn't really have any big “pressure” tee shots where it was adamant that I got one in play, I think I am going to need to review this a little further before I can really justify an on-course review. The day was also rather cool- low 60's and extremely soft and damp, so it was hard to figure distance. I will tell you one thing, this driver is ungodly forgiving in comparison to my old gamer. I don't think I missed a fairway by more than 10 yards left or right all day. For me, that is extremely rare! With me not playing much I'm good for one “WTF was that?!?” type tee ball each round. I'm talking TW like misses into opposite fairways!

G30 LS Face.JPG

Performance Notes

I will be playing a round tomorrow, so I will edit this part with round two information Thursday.

Subjective

Looks

Describe the following:

• General shape is very odd to me, but considering this is a modern driver, no surprises
  • Graphics are very understated and what you would expect from a brand such as Ping
  • The blue, grey, silver, black color scheme works for me, I like it
  • The matte black finish on the top is fantastic! No glare, maintenance free, love it!
  • The Turbulators are stupid, but I guess they work? #science
  • The finish on the face is very cool, reminiscent of a raw set of Vegas I once had
  • Shaft graphics are cool and I like the silver ion plate look

Sound and Feel

Before I treated the driver to mute it, it was obnoxiously loud, but now it sounds and feels fantastic.

• Shaft feels good, little lighter than what I'm used to, but smooth we'll see if it stays
  • Stock grip sucked, so I put a Super Stroke TX1 on there and am happy
  • The sound of the driver is good, I may make a decision to add more cotton balls in the future, but we'll see.
  • The SW is very light, lighter than what I'm used to. Interested in seeing how that plays out. If I change the shaft, I may want to add more cotton balls as well.

Conclusion

Ping makes three different G30 drivers to fit the mass population. If you haven't yet hit one, do yourself a favor and find one that fits your game. This driver is stupid forgiving, long, and looks pretty darn good! If the sound has been turning you off, that is a terrible excuse. I showed you how to fix it, and if you're married, chances are you have everything you need at home to fix it for free!

The Five

1. Will the Ping G30 LS Tec go in your bag? Why or why not?

This is the first real contender for a driver spot in my bag for a long, long time. I am going to give it a fair shake. Unless I can get my hands on a 915 D4!

1. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend the Ping G30 LS Tec? Why?

Anybody who fights the high spin kite shot off the tee and are looking for something forgiving I would recommend this to them. During my round, one of my playing partners who has the regular G30 hit my driver all day. After the round he bought a G30 LS Tec driver.

1. How, if at all, did the G30 LS Tec change your overall impression of Ping Golf?

I've always thought of Ping Golf to be one of the greatest in the industry and this driver further proves that. Their customer base is extremely loyal and I don't blame them. Ping makes a great product and stands by it as their customer service is well known as being one of the best. Their pricing structure allows for the loyal customers to feel good about their purchases.

1. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I don't really know the science behind these crazy Turbulators, but if they only get you one or two mph in club head speed, I don't know if I would really take that. Ten yards to me isn't much. Maybe keep them in the regular and SF Tec models.

1. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I really like the matte black finish and hope it stays for a long time. I also love the way the metal looks on the face- almost like a raw back look. Very cool.

Great review. I really want this driver but need to spend my money on short game at the moment. The cotton ball thing was cool but what if you hated the new sound is there anyway to get them out?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Great review. I really want this driver but need to spend my money on short game at the moment. The cotton ball thing was cool but what if you hated the new sound is there anyway to get them out?

I knew that I prefer a muted sound and that is the only thing that adding the cotton balls would achieve; therefore making it instantly better I guess I could burn them out? hahaha

I have heard of guys using yarn or plastic bags in the same fashion and being able to then pull it out if they didn't like it.

Great review Apprenti makes me want to give the LS The another chance and try.  I took it out on the course and hated it.  Probably won't hurt to take it out and hateit again.  I read reviews like this and think what's wrong with me.  Oh well, whatever lalalalala. Hi ho hi ho its off to the range I go :huh:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Nice review!

Low-spin and forgiving! That sounds like a contender to kick out my current gamer.

Speaking of old Ping drivers... the only one I ever liked was the Rapture V2 :D

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The sound lip was weird, but you could definitely hear the difference between before and after. Cool addition!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Great review apprenti,  however, you did not state that once you stuffed the head with cotton there is no reversal..........LOL.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Great review apprenti,  however, you did not state that once you stuffed the head with cotton there is no reversal..........LOL.

Pour a little lighter fluid and light it up? :D

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Every golf season, I get pretty much every “new and improved” driver that comes out from every company. Why? Because I can and because I want to. Being in my early 30's and fat and out of shape, my golf swing sucks; but somehow (smoke and mirrors mainly) I am still a decent player who can generate some speed. I'm not out there getting anything high launch or high spin or uber forgiving; it's not that I have an ego, but with my shitty swing those are just terrible fits for me.

I couldn't have said this better myself.  This sounds EXACTLY like me!

Great review, very well put together.  I tried the LS Tec out and hated everything about it except the performance.  It was short as hell, ugly, and I don't even want to discuss the sound anymore!  Had I put the cotton balls in it I might still have it, but I didn't so it is gone! 

And like you, would love to try a D4, but after seeing a used one on another forum selling for $750, I think I'll pass for a while!

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I couldn't have said this better myself.  This sounds EXACTLY like me!

Great review, very well put together.  I tried the LS Tec out and hated everything about it except the performance.  It was short as hell, ugly, and I don't even want to discuss the sound anymore!  Had I put the cotton balls in it I might still have it, but I didn't so it is gone! 

And like you, would love to try a D4, but after seeing a used one on another forum selling for $750, I think I'll pass for a while!

Excuse my ignorance, but what makes a D4 so expensive compared to previous offerings?

Interesting review and a great read to boot!

I would agree 100% about how much I hated the driver sound. I didn't go with the ping g30 because most of my misses are heel hits and I snapped the demo club I tested...

The LS tech might encourage me to try one out again.

D4 is an anomaly. Bigger than the D3 but lower spinning???

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice review I'm going to be looking at a variety of drivers this winter. Something in this line will be among them. The Cleveland black has been an eye opener for me, so easy to hit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Never got a chance to hit this season's Pings as they were not at the demo day this year. I really liked the G25 driver. It almost won me over.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Archived