Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mid round "lapses"

Kor.A.Door

Lately I have been having lapses in the middle of the round, I will have a decent round going and then on 11, or 12, it's lome I completely forget how to hit a tee shot, or even how to hit an 8 iron, and then by 15 I figure something out and it's back. Anyone else have these issues, it takes a good round which would be mid seventies and turns it into a low 80's round, how do y'all handle those times

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was just going to post on this subject under How Did You Play.  Last three rounds.  First two, struggle on the first 5 holes (with four of the easiest holes).  Nail the next 8 or 9 (which include three of the hardest holes), then absolute blow the last three.  Last round.  Nail the first 7.  Get the severe lefts over the next 8 holes (might have even established a new definition of left), punctuated by a few horrible 'right' shots as I tried to adjust.  Then absolutely pure the last three, including two of the best drives I've hit in months.  And I didn't know what I did anything different between holes, the most frustrating thing--not knowing what I started doing wrong or what I did to fix things.

Am taking lessons.  Had one today and described the problems in yesterday's round.   Last couple of lessons was adjusting my hip movement (never knew that the base of your spine was actually supposed to move slightly toward the target during your backswing).  In working on that, I had apparently started leaving my hands too far forward in the backswing (resulting in my hands being in front of my toes at the top instead over over the heel), making it much harder to have an inside path on the downswing.  Instant solution I hope. Felt and worked great on the video practice after the lesson.  Tomorrow the range to work on this and Friday the course to test this out.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

What's your pre-shot routine?

Mine is short, Look at target, set face of club, look down at feet and balance, practice backswing, then swing away.

My mid round lapses come from fatigue generally and crowding the ball which is why I look down at the feet now.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I don't have mid round lapse as much as mid hole ones. Or at least I used to. The last two rounds have been much better and I think that has to do with my short game getting better.

Before I would kinda check out in the middle of a hole because I knew I would have to hit 3-4 pitch shots that I wouldn't be able to excute well. I just wanted to get to the green so I could putt. Now I have the confidence to hit those shots and can actually score.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Funny how I've been struggling with the same issue for the past 2-3 weeks.

Usually start off with +4 on the front 9, then somewhere in the middle have a complete melt down, figure it out at 16 or so, but the damage is done and finish the round with about +20.

I keep telling myself... I just have to put 2 of those 9 holes together and I'll be able to break 80. Still hasn't happened :(

But look at it this way, the potential is there. It's just a timing problem :D

There was also a Saturday where I shot an 83. The next day at a club tournament I couldn't break 100. Go figure.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

With Temps in the mid 90's recently, the mid round lapses are prob due to lack of concentration from dehydration.

So before i leave home I open a bottle of water and drink it all on the way to the course.  I then open a 2nd bottle on the first Tee.  About hole # 8, my frozen bottle of Gatorade has begun to thaw out so I begin drinking that.  As the course progresses, i refill the water bottle on # 4 and #12.  That means I have ingested about 80 ounces of fluid.  This is beginning to help on the concentration. Now if I could just hit the ball!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It's been hot here mid to upper 90's and very humid, on Saturday I drank 3 16 oz. bottles of water, and then also drank another 3, 16 oz. cups of water, I don't knkw of dehydration is an issue, but fatigue from the heat could be part of the issue. Last week I was even on the back nine going into 16, and finished.bogey bogey bogey to shoot 79. It's frustrating to say the least

I pound another beer and move on. The only thing keeping me from breaking 80 consistently is the 2 triples I ALWAYS have every single round. I think I do ok at moving on from them, but it would be great to eliminate them all together. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

I suspect this is common for most of us amateurs.

A lot of courses I play don't have a range available and I'll play without a real warm up, other times I'll be playing well and slack off on a focused pre-shot routine, AND I really need to mentally let go of bad shots and not overcompensate by over-thinking the next time I use that club...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I suspect this is common for most of us amateurs.

A lot of courses I play don't have a range available and I'll play without a real warm up, other times I'll be playing well and slack off on a focused pre-shot routine, AND I really need to mentally let go of bad shots and not overcompensate by over-thinking the next time I use that club...

We lost our range to an Aprtment complex called "The Links at pebble Creek".....They have some nerve with that name knowing they tookaway our range!....So I don't get a warm up other than a stretching routine.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

We lost our range to an Aprtment complex called "The Links at pebble Creek".....They have some nerve with that name knowing they tookaway our range!....So I don't get a warm up other than a stretching routine.

Except for my home course and a couple of others I play, most of my friends I play with on courses out of town play at courses without ranges, so "The Stretch" is  usually the only warm-up available.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Interesting. I've also forced myself in the zone before to try and break 90 after a terrible set of holes. Nearly pulled it off.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I do the same thing. It always occurs for me when I fail to eat/drink during the beginning of the round. I think in my case at least it is a lack of focus brought on by blood sugar fluctuations. I am not diabetic, but  I have struggled with focus issues off and on for most of my life, and blood sugars are a direct relation to them. Golf really brings these issues to the forefront too. In a conversation with my doctor about it, he is also an avid golfer and runner, he theorized that since golf is a fairly high calorie burn that the focus issues I was seeing were mini sugar crashes.  IT makes sense, hole 9 is typically about 1:45-2:25 into a round. At that point, your body has consumed the immediately available glycogen stores (and if you have any alcohol, this compounds the problem), and it is starting to process the next available fuel, which varies by diet and fitness level. In my case, the next fuel is fat, which isn't as efficient as glycogen. 

So, I have gone to trying to start nibbling on food/snacks starting at hole 1, and having a nibble or two every hole or so. Nothing complex, more often than not, it's a peanut butter crackers, or some other fuel. ( I have also switched to a nutritional supplement for my other activities to level out my sugars, and that has helped my golf as well ).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I've been having this issue as well of late particularly because it seems as if every round I've played has either bogged down (yesterday's was almost five hours and the heat index was 105 when we tee'd off) or had a rain delay. My back tightens up and I struggle for three or four holes depending upon when the IBprofin kicks in.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've had a thought about this since a while back when someone wrote a thread about how true our hdcp's really were.

Hydration certainly adds to the mix, a wandering mind, too many beers, etc...

Now a pro, he warms up for a few hours. Stretches, putts, chips, sand shots, every iron, woods, and driver. With his swing coach right at his side. So by the time they take to the first tee, they are fed, hydrated, warmed up fully, and couldn't be any more ready to play.

What do you think your cap would be if you got to do that before every round?, in addition to playing the course 2-3 times right before the deal starts.

I personally stumble out of bed around 5:30, ship the wife off to work, suck down a cup of coffee and have a "meal bar" as I drive to the course for my weekly round. I lace up my shoes, swing my yellow ball thingie back and forth about 20 times, and off we go. The three opening holes are brutal, and getting out +2or 3 is pretty common, if not worse. Then an easy par 5, a tough par 4 after that. Then it's quite possible to go 3 or 4 over for the rest of the round.

If I get out even thru the first 5 holes, then I have a low 70's. But, typically I don't, so I get a high 70's- low 80's.

We don't have a nutritionist, a caddy, little books that describe greens, etc...

So, getting thru a full round without some type of calamity is pretty tough...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Rev, that can be an issue for me as well, especially in tournament rounds which always tend to last a bit longer, the back tightens up while waiting and it can cause a bad swing, especially when waiting on the tee box, in general though, I Think that most of my issues come from fatigue, as they almost always happen around hole 11-12, and it always seems to take a bit to remember to go ahead and slow down get some water and catch a breath and tribe. It comes back. A lot of you are very good a chipping and putting which can be very helpful in those times, I am decent at both, but I wouldn't say I am good at either so its difficult to make up for some poorly struck shots, I really in particular struggle with short putts, 3-4 feet, especially with a bit of pressure. That's golf though, it happens to everyone on occasion when you add a bit of pressure , right.

I am up at 5:45 every Saturday morning and off to the club by 6:15. I down a bottle of water enroute to the course(10 minute drive). Since I run the weekly game, I am at the club, in the Pub at 6:30 for registration and breakfast.  Usually I have an egg sandwich and coffee.  Lately however, I have not been hungry, so I skip the sandwich and just have coffee.  I can usually get off the first couple holes (Par 4 & Par 3) with a +1 or +2.  My issue is I suffer from abdominal pains on a daily basis. They are dull constant pains that make it somewhat difficult to manuever.  Some days are better than others, This is the residual effects of four inguinal hernia surgeries while serving in the Navy.  The last surgery was in 1990.  It can affect my concentration, thus affect my game, so I carry Vicoden in my golf bag, making it available if it is really bothering me.  Then, about hole #8, I open a Gatorade and a pack of Nabs(peanut butter crackers).  This gets me around to #15 where I refill the Gatorade bottle with water to finish the round.  Florida in the sumer requires constant hydration.  On days that I can limit the pain to minimal, I can finish with a score in the 80's.  If not, then I'll end up in the 90's....

Mid round lapses...yes I suffer with them.  They come much more often than they used to.  As my buddy who is 10 years my elder tells me...getting old it a b!tch isn't it?  I used to not warm up and within 3 holes have a clue what I was doing and shoot pretty well.  Now, no warm up...maybe around 15 I finally figure it out.  I really do believe a lot of the lapses we have are attributable to getting older.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Archived