Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does Your Game Travel?

PlaidJacket

Recently RevKev asked in another post if your course travels. I'd never thought of my home course or game that way. Which got me to thinking.... Does Your Game Travel? That's really what is important I think. My course can't travel but I can. Normally during a years time I travel and play many courses. Most of them are much different than what I play at home. My home course and the others around my local area are mostly flat with limited elevation change or sloped fairways. I've just returned from the Santa Fe - Albuquerque area and had a great time. This was my second away trip of the season. In both instances I played well. And.. both times the courses I played were much more challenging. It's easy to get comfortable playing day in day out at home. (Brag coming) But, thinking back over the last few years of golf travel I've concluded that my game travels quite well. How about you guys?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mine didn't used to travel well at all - I'm guessing because I played ALL my rounds at a home course. Then whenever I traveled or played at a different course locally the game would struggle.  Since being in Hack to Jack and playing lots of local courses I've found my game is travelling much better.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

It takes me awhile to get used to a course, particularly on the greens.

I'm trying to play more courses this year, so hopefully it will get better.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Interesting debate. 

I would refer back to the "go-to shot" thread - where most folks tend to have a stock shot they hit, whether   they're playing at their home course or maybe under pressure in competition. 

Long story short - don't!

Try to treat each shot on it's own merit. Every shot you play should be unique to the lie, the prevailing conditions and the intended direction and trajectory. Use visualisation to see the shot before you play it. 

It's all very easy to get into a comfort zone at your home course when you simply pull out a club based on whatever you have hit in the past without paying too much attention to the shot in hand. A classic case of this is also the short game when many players pull out a lofted club and play a clumsy pitch to the green without thinking about the shot at all.

Once you can get into the habit of treating each shot in a carefully considered manner, then you'll find your game travels quite well to any course.

My game travels very well because I don't have a home course. I play lots of different courses throughout the season and tend to shoot around the same no matter where I play.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Interesting debate. 

I would refer back to the "go-to shot" thread - where most folks tend to have a stock shot they hit, whether   they're playing at their home course or maybe under pressure in competition. 

Long story short - don't!

Try to treat each shot on it's own merit. Every shot you play should be unique to the lie, the prevailing conditions and the intended direction and trajectory. Use visualisation to see the shot before you play it. 

It's all very easy to get into a comfort zone at your home course when you simply pull out a club based on whatever you have hit in the past without paying too much attention to the shot in hand. A classic case of this is also the short game when many players pull out a lofted club and play a clumsy pitch to the green without thinking about the shot at all.

Once you can get into the habit of treating each shot in a carefully considered manner, then you'll find your game travels quite well to any course.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. I do agree that each shot should be carefully considered but in the end my swing produces draws. I'd have to be daft to try and force it to do other things unless I have to. For example, 165, pin behind a trap on the right side of the green, it calls for a fade but I'm only executing that fade properly half the time. I'm 90 percent hitting the draw. I will take the 35 footer and trust the putter rather than the mess I could be in trying to hit the "proper" shot. You have to know your game and what shots you play well. Ive played enough golf to know that very few people are comfortable hitting all the shots.

Back to the original question my game travels fine with the exception of elevation change. I can't do anything about that, I live in Florida and it is basically flat. When I lived in Upstate New York and Connecticut I was fine with elevation change. Beyond being fairly flat my course is tough, it presents lots of differing looks so it's helpful in creating a game that travels well. You have to be very precise in your ball striking to score well there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I grew up in the mountains and lived on an island for the last five years. I generally play all over the place and my game is forced to travel.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I'm able to play a huge variety of courses within a small distance of home, so I play links, parkland, heathland, chalk hill etc courses regularly. I've found ways to play all of them - the only major change to my game is choosing how to approach the short game.

obviously greens vary, bunkers vary, turf varies..... That's the big variable that can be hard to adapt to.

In good news I can be average with the putter on any type of green!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I like to think that my game travels fairly well. I enjoy returning to my roots in Kentucky and playing the course that I grew up on.....I have always been able to return to Juniper Hills GC and shoot in the 80's. When I play some of the other courses I the central KY area, I usually play pretty good.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think my game travels reasonably well, possibly the only element that doesn't is my putting.  The struggle I have there is speed adjustments.  My home club is quite quick the others I visit being public are pedestrian in comparison.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

My game travels fairly well. I normally shoot about the same scores (low/mid 80's) on courses away from home as ones in my area. In fact, it might be better on away courses because I am a little more focused. The only time it doesn't travel well is when I go to courses with Bermuda or mountainous areas with a prevailing break on the greens. We have had the discussion about Bermuda grass before; it takes me several days to get used to the grain. I also struggle on courses on the sides of mountains. Most notably, the Plantation course at Kapalua, but also any course east of the Rio Grande towards Sandia Peak in Albuquerque. You have to know where the river is when you putt!! It's also helpful to know where Indio is in the Palm Springs area. Once I figure out the breaks on these greens, I do OK, but by then it's time to head home! :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Couple of things MizunoLover and Kenny mentioned. I also feel that when I'm away I focus much better than when I'm knocking it around my home course. Especially my driving accuracy. Green speeds usually take a toll somewhat on me as well. Especially in mountain areas. This past week when I was in Santa Fe the club and other course we played had some pretty fast greens. In fact, at the private club we played they posted the greens stimped at 10.5. Based on that experience I'd guess my home course putts at around an 8-9. Another thing I usually run into when playing away is primary rough. Again, this past week; the rough was longer with a rather thick green blade. Very difficult to hit out of as opposed to the Bermuda grass I normally encounter at home. I can really appreciate the Pros when they are hitting from that type of grass. Takes a lot of strength to get through that stuff successfully and then produce a decent shot.   

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My Game "Travles" so to say.  It takes a couple of holes to get use to not playing on South Texas hard-pan Fairways.  On a recent trip back to Virginia and North Carolina, it took me a good 9 holes to reaquaint myself with bentgrass greens.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I play better on new courses generally because I play smarter. I'll put the driver away if I'm not confident I can keep it in bounds. I'll lay up instead of going over the lake from 210. At my home course it bombs away, and that is usually my downfall. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

I think a lo of it depends on where your nomally play.  It used to be that my game would not travel so well.  Most of the time I found the trouble wherever I played.  Made some pars a birdie or two ... but I could count on some "others". 

I joined the club I am at in 2007.  Its tight trouble on both sides usually and small fast greens.  I play most of my golf there.  It has made me a better player.  Most of the time when I go to another course the fairways look as wide as freeways to me.  The extra confidence that gives helps me adjust to differing green speeds without having disasters.  I will usually have some poor putting but it results in bogey and not double.  After a few holes I get it dialed-in a little better. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

The answer is yes and no. I can usually expect to shoot 10 strokes above my average at a home course. I'd say at least half are because I am not familiar with the layout or where trouble lies. Can't tell you how many times I've found a bunker that I didn't know existed or hit one into the water when I should have played a punch out to a safe area.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I would say that my game travels much better these days than it did even a few years ago. Not b/c of improvements in my game (well maybe a little brag here), but b/c of more GPS and laser use. When I go to resort courses, they have GPS on carts and you can see each hole and get yardages to hazards.

I had a meeting once at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix. They have the Wildfire GC with a Palmer course and a Faldo course. The Palmer is more traditional with a few trees and some water. Of course, the Faldo course is more linksy with lots of bunkers. This was before GPS on carts and I just bombed away to a miserable round on the Faldo course. For some reason the next time we played the course, the pro shop gave us yardage books that showed each hole and distances to each bunker. I Zach'ed it around the course using clubs that wouldn't put me in bunkers. Had a pretty good round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived