Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Need help deciding on Irons

Key

What's up everyone! I'm new to posting but I'm on the site regular reading reviews. So here is my dilemma, I bought the Nike Vapor Speeds about 3 months ago. I hit them pretty well but just can't get over how thick they are at address, just not having a good feel with them like I did the day I bought them. I just left golf galaxy and hit the Taylormade Rsi TP & the Taylormade TP MC and they felt absolutely amazing. Was hitting my 7i about 170 on average which is about 10 yards farther than the Vapors. They seem a lot lighter and feel great and loon amazing at address as well. Just wanted to ask you guys if yall have any advise on the Tayloremade irons I listed above. The TP MC are much cheaper than the Rsi TP which is also a plus.

Walk away from the store........walk away from the store........LOL

I am not a TMAG fan and know there are plenty of irons out there that can provide a better game......like the Mizuno's....Keep looking.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Walk away from the store........walk away from the store........LOL

I am not a TMAG fan and know there are plenty of irons out there that can provide a better game......like the Mizuno's....Keep looking.

Agree Foz

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

What's up everyone! I'm new to posting but I'm on the site regular reading reviews. So here is my dilemma, I bought the Nike Vapor Speeds about 3 months ago. I hit them pretty well but just can't get over how thick they are at address, just not having a good feel with them like I did the day I bought them. I just left golf galaxy and hit the Taylormade Rsi TP & the Taylormade TP MC and they felt absolutely amazing. Was hitting my 7i about 170 on average which is about 10 yards farther than the Vapors. They seem a lot lighter and feel great and loon amazing at address as well. Just wanted to ask you guys if yall have any advise on the Tayloremade irons I listed above. The TP MC are much cheaper than the Rsi TP which is also a plus.

I have a set of taylormade MCs and I love mine. To me they have just enough forgoviness. For the price you could prolly get them it would be a good set.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I am currently gaming a set of Tmag tp MC combo'd with some tmag to mb's. They are good irons. Don't let people tell you otherwise. With that said, make sure you get the lofts and lie angles checked with any set you buy. This is from someone who has owned most major brand of irons. I go through more sticks than most people though.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Such a fitting statement undershooter.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for irons OP. Keep this in mind. None of the guys posting here are going to see your bag every time you go out. You will. You'll see the club, feel the club and own the club. So get what fits and feels good to you.

If it's a good price, that's an even better scenario!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Agree SSchaffer24 here. Everybody has something they are looking for. If you like the Tmags - Get them. There are many, many choices out there now so if you are blessed enough that you have a local store that carries many different brands, try them all. Irons are a major purchase imho and not something to take likely. My only advice is to NOT look at the name on the club. You might be surprised like I was what you might find  ;)

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I used to he a died in the wool TM man till they started bringing a new iron set out every five minutes.  Having said that the MC's are a really nice looking iron and also have a more traditional loft set up which I like.  I just checked the specs for the RSi and they are the same so I guess it boils down to what you want/like, the MC's are about $500 cheaper so if its about price it's a no brainer. ;)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

The only meaningful advice you can get here is what a couple of guys have said. Find what you like and what works for you regardless of the name on it.

If I tell you not to get TM because I'm not a fan, that's meaningless and terrible "advice". They may be a great choice for you. Same thing goes if I told to buy them because I have them. No one here can possibly know if they're a good or bad choice for you.

Take your time and try as many as you can and see what you're drawn to for looks, feel and performance for your game.

What in your game needs some help that different equipment can address? If you provide some specific things you want to see your equipment help you with, then you might get some advice that means something from a few guys that actually know something. Trouble is, that still doesn't even take into account what you may need for a shaft. So it will inevitably lead back to, you can "fit" yourself with trial and error over time. For a tinkerer, you can learn a lot in the process but will probably always be looking for something better. Or get a real fitting and come out knowing you have the best combination for you out of everything you tried. That reduces the desire to keep making changes, always wondering if you can do better.

My comment regarding TMAG earlier was in jest..... I have never gamed irons just because they were the popular set. First, they must suit my needs, 2nd they must be the correct lofts and third they must be in the right price range. Sometimes I have gone for new irons, others I searched for used irons. You have to select the ones that suit your eye, your game(blade, GI or Max GI) and your wallet.

Be careful of advice from a big box store, unless you frequent it and know the sales person. Often they will suggest the set they make the most profit from rather than the best set for you.

If all else fails, just use common sense.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Welcome Key!

I find it interesting that you're struggling with the same issue on post 1 that I am on post 5,000. Get what fits your eye and have fun.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I really appreciate all the advice!! Going back tomorrow to hit a few more sets and compare my Vapors shot for shot to see what irons actually will improve my game instead of going with the popular look. Again, thanks for all the replies!

Not a problem key! That's what this board is for! Feel free to stick around and even give us some information on your experience! I'm sure we would all love to hear!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Will do Sschaffer, happy to have a good forum to discuss golf.

Welcome Key!  You got the best advice from the best golf forum guys, that's for sure.  Yes, we would like to hear about your testing.

BTW, where are you located?  Lots of great MGS guys all over the country.  Hello, from the great Pacific Northwest!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Try out the FlyZ+ before you buiy anything else. These irons are very impressive and look great. Side note I dont play them though but I would if I ever get new irons

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

FWIW, I just picked up a set of TM Burner 2.0 because I had shop credit to cover them and I'd hit a demo well on the range last summer.

I too, was never a TMag fanboy, until I shot my best round this summer with them earlier this week!

I did a "blind" wedge fitting last week, as well.  It turned out, I hit the Ping Glides the best.

I've never gamed any clubs by TMag or Ping before, and now they fill most of my bag.

Play what suits your game, don't worry about the brand name.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Here it comes.... have you considered any irons that aren't a magazine brand? Hmmm? Like maybe Wishon? If you're buying a set of irons take your time. Also, get yourself professionally fit for pete's sake. If you can't get a full fitting at least do what some of the other guys have suggested. Have the loft and most importantly the lie properly adjusted. I think most all clubs on the market are basically good. We all have our preferences. I too have to like what I see when I look down. But a proper fit is key for any club you choose.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm going to add to PJ's comments regarding getting professionally fit.

Get yourself fit by someone good. Do your research on fitting as well as the the person that will be fitting you. My first fitting was a complete joke but I didn't know any better at the time.

Just because someone is a professional or a fitter does not mean that he is a good, competent, experienced, and knowledgeable fitter.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

FWIW, I just picked up a set of TM Burner 2.0 because I had shop credit to cover them and I'd hit a demo well on the range last summer.

I too, was never a TMag fanboy, until I shot my best round this summer with them earlier this week!

I did a "blind" wedge fitting last week, as well.  It turned out, I hit the Ping Glides the best.

I've never gamed any clubs by TMag or Ping before, and now they fill most of my bag.

Play what suits your game, don't worry about the brand name.

Just traded my burner 2.0's in for the new rsi 2's. Almost regret it because I loved those irons so much. They were just really old and beat to death. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

• 2 months later...

I am a huge golf club ho and I have played pretty much every set under the sun and I can say that the RSI TP's are legit. I have owned two sets and still currently game a set with c-taper lites. The face slots and sole are legit and work. If you go to YouTube and look up Gary McCord RSI they will confirm what I see daily.

The only problem is that TM mass produce clubs even 5 seconds so resell value sucks. If you plan on keeping the set for a while then I would give them a go.

My Bag:

Stolen clubs....in between!   

Archived