Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Club Championship

Undershooter

Kind of ashamed to admit it but I had to withdraw from the championship this year.  My back is still rooted and I can't swing a club yet,  First time an injury has ever kept me out of anything like that.  The good news was being the club Captain I got to start them all this morning and generally played games with a few of their heads before they teed off.  I'm hoping my back will be good enough to play in the Mens 4somes this weekend though.

Sorry to hear that Mizzy. I know ALL about back pain; it's no fun. Hope it heals quickly, but don't be a Tiger and rush it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen a guy miss a foot putt because he tried to tap it in and hit it too far. That was funny. I've also seen a guy hit into a bunker and lose the ball in the water. I ended up finding a rule that saved him a stroke somehow. 

You find all these rules and such. Best story was my 7 putt or the A flight guy who walked off after posting a 13 on hole 12 or so. Just straight up walked away and didn't even say anything.

I didn't know we played together that day! LOL. A putt like that is why I started looking at the hole when I putt. On those short ones you expect to make, I can find all kinds of ways to miss them.

We have a guy at the club that will walk off the course if he isn't playing well. It can happen at any time. I though got it was funny when he did it on the hole furthest from the clubhouse; a very long walk.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

My club championship is tomorrow and wouldn't you know it....I've completely lost my driver swing AND my 3 wood! 

We played our men's league last night and for the love of me I was topping the 3 wood and slicing my driver and I haven't been able to figure it out! How is that for bad timing lol

Anyways I know that both are swing related and not so much in between the ears. I'm not too worried about playing this year since it's my second year and I kinda know a little more what to expect this time but I seriously hope I can fix this problem by tee time tomorrow. Gonna hit a bucket of balls before playing so if anyone has any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong please feel free to fire away....

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

My club championship is tomorrow and wouldn't you know it....I've completely lost my driver swing AND my 3 wood!

We played our men's league last night and for the love of me I was topping the 3 wood and slicing my driver and I haven't been able to figure it out! How is that for bad timing lol

Anyways I know that both are swing related and not so much in between the ears. I'm not too worried about playing this year since it's my second year and I kinda know a little more what to expect this time but I seriously hope I can fix this problem by tee time tomorrow. Gonna hit a bucket of balls before playing so if anyone has any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong please feel free to fire away....

Don't hit too many balls before the round. Better rested than sharp sometimes. You don't wanna run out of gas. Play conservative if need be. You will be able to figure it out. Just concentrate on smooth tempo and you will get it back.

I've got my second club championship this weekend. I haven't touched a club all week haha! Its at our executive course which I hate! Par 64, short and tight. I can live with that but can't figure out these greens to save my life. Grainy as hell and very undulated. Shot 70 in the final round last year when I shoulda shot 62. It was embarrassing...

Good luck mbrodeur!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Thanks Bud! Just going to hit the driver and 3 everything else is fine. I need at least 1 of those clubs working and what sucks the most is I was hitting both of them really well. Will figure it out. I think I'm over-swinging and it's forcing me to come over the top. My 3 wood I'm having trouble off the tee but not so bad off the fairway. Weird but anyways....

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Well boys and girls I careered it today. Left my eagle putt on 18 a few inches short to tap in for 58. Of course this was on a par 64 but still I hate this windy tight little undulated place. I'm currently in the lead by 5 going into tomorrow. -6 is my best round to par to date. Hopefully I can keep it up tomorrow.

Well boys and girls I careered it today. Left my eagle putt on 18 a few inches short to tap in for 58. Of course this was on a par 64 but still I hate this windy tight little undulated place. I'm currently in the lead by 5 going into tomorrow. -6 is my best round to par to date. Hopefully I can keep it up tomorrow.

wow awesome job bud! My day was a nightmare. 87 with 1 birdie - on 18. I cannot control my nerves and no matter what I tried - nothing worked. I was told last night that I would be starting around 9:45-10:00 so I showed up a 9:00 to go and hit a few balls and warm up. My brother went before me and sent me a text to tell me I was on deck at 9:20!! I showed up in a panic and it stayed for most of the day. The only positive thing other than finishing strong is that everybody else had problems too. The leader shot 78 and about 4-5 of the 14 in the field shot between 81-85 so I'm not too far off.

I have a month to prep for mine and get revenge on my buddy. Last your I had a 1 shot lead with 9 holes to go and he decided to shoot -4 on the back and beat me by 3. I was happy I didn't give it away. I shot 73-72=+3 not my best golf but I was happy. i am gonna put in a lot of work the next month.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Well I couldn't close it out. A former mini tour guy who is a new member of the club went low and took it home. I can't be too mad dispite how well I played yesterday. A former professional beat me. I got out classed.

Can't be mad at that. At least you played well and had a chance.

Snell MTB-X

Can't be mad at that. At least you played well and had a chance.

I didn't play my best today but he got off to a great start and never let off the gas peddle so I can't really be too upset. Only way I had a chance was to bring my A game again and put up a red number. Something I don't often do back to back days and almost never at that course. O well.

Same here. I got shot in the foot (as everyone else did) in the first round. A little controversy didn't help either. 

The guy who won the senior championship was the same guy who made the groups of players who were going to start the round. I find it wrong because A) he works at the golf club so he could put his buddies together B) he knew where all the tee box and pin locations were c) he purposely put me with the guy that ripped into me last year when it was my first year there knowing full well I did NOT want to play with this person (I also had told him this during the president's cup we played earlier)

It literally threw off my game and in the first round I shot a horrible 87. I could not concentrate on my game. In the back of my head, all I could think about was when is he going to snap at me again so I could put him in his place. 

Round 2 (yesterday) I started off very strong ( Was playing with 3 other guys, good guys) and was 1 under til the 5th hole. I finished with a 38 or 2 over on the first 9 but started losing it on the back and shot a 42 for an 80.

At this point, if you were to ask me today, I would say NO. I would not go back and play in the club championship anymore. It hurts to say that and maybe over the course of the year I will change my mind but right now, I felt I was "set up" and no longer wish to put myself through that kind of bs again.

Time will tell....

That's definitely a cheap shot by the organisation. In our club, they build the flights based on hcp.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

That's definitely a cheap shot by the organisation. In our club, they build the flights based on hcp.

They could have put me with the 7 handicaps since there were at least 3 of us rounded to that number. The person I have a problem with is a 9 so we were 2 7 handicaps with a 9. Oh and by the way, there were 8 handicaps in there too.

While I don't like what happened to mbrodeur but at the same time handicap shouldn't be brought into account for any type of club championship. If you are putting similar handi's together for pairing sake and not adjusting the score then that's fine but I don't think handicap should influence the overall results. If handicap where taken into account I would have probably been the club champion this weekend vs the +3 or so who beat me. And I don't particularly feel I'm deserving. 

At our course they pair you by handicap the first day and then adjust based on score the 2nd day. We also have 4 club champions 1 gross 1 net 1 senior gross and 1 senior net. Obviously the Gross Champion is "The" Club Champion

Snell MTB-X

At our course they pair you by handicap the first day and then adjust based on score the 2nd day. We also have 4 club champions 1 gross 1 net 1 senior gross and 1 senior net. Obviously the Gross Champion is "The" Club Champion

Ours is done by age group as far as the champions go. Also the 1 st day grouping are random unless you request to play with someone. 2nd day that bracket it by scores.

Us too. We have a club champ, senior, women's and super senior followed by 1st gross and 2nd gross as well as 1st and second net's. I don't really care either way because what's done is done. The results, obviously, are in the scores posted. 87 with the idiot and 80 with good guys. I know I was "set up to struggle" - I have no doubts about it. I even asked the guy who was making the groups up (the senior club champ) what time I could expect to play and he said 9:45-10:00 am. My brother went at 8:45 am. I was going to go down at 9 and hit maybe 10-15 balls to unwind and relax. My brother texted me and told me to get my butt down there as my tee time was at 9:20 and that I was playing with the idiot. I got there in a hurry and never got to relax right from the start and it stayed that way the whole day. I mean, I could go and complain. The guys I played with the second day said I could have asked to play in another group. I didn't know that at the time. It's kinda stupid but I just didn't want to create trouble. I knew it was coming, I even told my bro ( who just so happened to be paired with the idiot's brother *wink*wink*) that they were going to do that to me. I'm not surprised. He knew it too. 

Anyways, it's soured me unfortunately about playing in it again. I like playing competitively. My brother enjoyed his tourney. He shot 88 and 91. He's much more relaxed than I am. 

I personally like the flight ideas. We had a championship, A, B and C flights. Made it worth it because they grouped you and you couldn't sandbag your way to the club championship. I know there was some fudging going from a B flighter to C flighter, but overall you can't fake your way into the net or gross. Just to get into it, you have to earn the right. 

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 3 weeks later...

3rd and Final club championship of the year for me tomorrow. I haven't practiced at all lately and only have played on the weekend. I think the last time I hit a ball or putted during the week was a month ago. This is going to go poorly haha

Good luck bud! :)

Mbrodeur,

Yo can't let others sour your round or experience. Stay in your own head and in your own space. If need be, walk so others don't have an opportunity to get in your head in a cart (I've done it before when paired with someone I just don't like). 90% of tournament golf is mental. I've needled guys to the breaking point many times. I've been beaten in the final round multiple times by guys that just go low. I play fine but they go low and play better golf and I can't get mad at it. Just stick to your routine, stick to your basics and set yourself up for what you do well. Don't worry about an individual shot's result, just the number for the hole. Who cares if you're in the rough or the woods or whatever, find a way to get it down in as few strokes as possible. Don't let a few jackasses spoil your good time. If you enjoy tournament golf, be determined that you're not going to let someone else spoil it for you

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I don't know why I got so behind in this thread.  It's quiet this morning around la casa so I'm catching up - What Rookie said - great advice really - you can't control who you are paired with any more than you can control the weather.  You can control how it impacts you.  Tournament golf is about your game, not what others are doing around you.  You can only control your game.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 days and counting until the first round of my club championship I had a solid practice session today

Snell MTB-X

I hear ya guys! Whether I'm right or wrong on this means nothing. The fact that I let "them" beat me before I even hit a ball shows that my mental game is not strong enough - yet. I just felt like I was set up. I still believe I was. There is a lot of politics in that clubhouse as well as the town. It's sad but in a small town like where I live there's a lot of people who are jealous of my father's accomplishments and I believe they are scarred to see one of his sons reach that greatness that my father reached. I mean, he's the all time club champ with 9 and the closest has 4. It was brought up that the trophy should be named after him and it was shot down. The first guy in men's senior baseball to throw a no hitter in the whole province and his name gets brought up for the town's hall of fame and he gets shot down. We grew up poor because the people who could give him a job wouldn't because of his accomplishments. You would think something was wrong with my Dad but I've talked to lots of his former teammates and they all said he was the poster boy for what true sportsmanship was about. It's sad that his son has to go through what he went through but I think I'm going to go through and play it again. If my Dad could do it I know I can. 

I'm telling you, if you want to play in solace, honestly, walk. You'll do yourself a favor and they can't mess with you that way. If they object, tell them the game was originally for walkers, not cart riders.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It's not that rooks the guy who made the tee times happens to be one of the guys who was putting my Dad's accomplishments down. I played with him during the President's cup tourney we had the month before and told him I would play with anyone EXCEPT that 1 person and of course he puts me with that idiot. We were supposed to be paired by handicaps for round 1 but 2 guys with a 7 handicap ratings (me and another guy) ended up having to play with the idiot who had a 9 rating and in another group there was another guy with a 7 handicap. It was a set up plain and simple. The guy who also organized the tee times just so happen to win the senior club championship. I was told we weren't allowed to play a practice round the day of the tourney because we are not supposed to know pin locations but he knew where all the tee boxes and pin locations were. I found that out the second day from one of his close buddies who accidentally blurted out "that's just where Mike said it would be" to a pin location.  Yes you still have to go out and play but it's still an unfair advantage imho. But seriously, I'm done with talking about it. The whole thing has made me really sick (among other things) and I've been battling stress for a very very long time and it came to a head not too long after that weekend. I'm praying that someone up there can give me a second chance so that I can get my health back. 

Update. I played like crap both days. I was rusty and it showed. A lot of stupid errors and bad luck lead to an opening round 79 which was good for 2nd flight. Played better Sunday other than about 6 swings. I lost 2 tee balls on the par 5 in the rough and ended up taking an 8. Hit one OB on the next par 5 to make 7. One other ball OB, one tee shot in a hazard and 2 chunked wedges lead to an awful round that was semi salvaged by an eagle to close out the final par 5. That made back to back 79s and 4th in the flight, no pay out.

The kicker is, I played another 18 with some buddies for fun and one hit a shot in the rough on the par 5 where I lost 2 tee balls. I found my first tee ball in less than 10 seconds. I mean damn... It was that kind of weekend.

Total for the weekend is 3 lost balls in the rough, 2 OB (one by 6 inches), 3 balls in hazards, 2 chunked wedges and 2 missed 3 foot putts. Time for me to practice a little LOL

Well it was tough to concentrate today after finding out my wife is going to have another baby!! Shoot 78 today and I am 5 shots back so tomorrow I will just go have fun and enjoy the day.

Snell MTB-X

Archived