Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

10 finger grip

kfilly20

So my whole golf life I've used the 10 finger grip. I know its uncommon ish for decent players to use so I've tried to switch to interlocking and Vader(?). Both feel so unnatural to me. I have small hands in comparison to my height and stubby fingers. 10 finger is the only grip that feels "normal". Should I suck it up and work a different grip into my game or is it not that big a deal. I just worry that its holding me back somehow. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Play with whatever works for you.  I learned the interlock at a young age and have stuck with that, but my 9 year old likes the 10 finger grip and is sticking with that for now.  As long as your grip is sound it will not hold you back at all in my opinion regardless of the method that you use.  

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Play with whatever works for you.  I learned the interlock at a young age and have stuck with that, but my 9 year old likes the 10 finger grip and is sticking with that for now.  As long as your grip is sound it will not hold you back at all in my opinion regardless of the method that you use.  

I guess I figured if no one on tour uses it there's probably a good reason.

I just said this on another blog a few minutes ago and in your case it stands repeating. tension ruins any golf swing and if the grip style does not feel good to you there will be tension period and that is no good at all. There is no one proper way to swing a golf club or play the game and that includes the grip too! My God look at Paul Azinger I can remember when all the gurus criticized his grip but look how well he did. Like Mr. Palmer said a good swing begins with a confortable grip and he was not just talking about Lamkin brand grips either! grip it how it feels best to you and does not cause any tension

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nobody else on Tour grips it or swings it like Jim Furyk.......it works for him though.  Same for Zach Johnson and he won the Masters and the Open with an unorthodox grip and swing.

+1 on Big Stu's comment.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I use an interlocking grip now but when I started playing a few years ago I used a ten finger grip since I played baseball my whole life and it felt comfortable. There's nothing wrong with it. Here's an excerpt from a chapter in Harvey Penick's book "The Wisdom of Harvey Penick":

"DURING OUR MANY years as friends and colleagues, Jimmy Demaret and I had countless conversations about the golf grip. You may be surprised to discover that when Jimmy was Masters champion and known the world over for his ability, he decided his grip was wrong— but he was too far into a successful career to think seriously about changing it.

Jimmy used the familiar Vardon, or overlapping, grip from his early days as a caddie all the way to the end of his life. Yet he came to believe the Vardon grip is not the most fundamentally sound grip for most players, including Jimmy himself.

Harry Vardon made the piggybacking of the pinkie finger of his right hand onto the top of his left index finger— or into the space between the index and third fingers—into the most popular way for players to hold the club.

Vardon had big, strong, fast hands, and his style of grip was meant to move his hands closer together and, by removing one finger from the handle, reduce the possibility of his right hand overpowering his left during his swing. Proper application of his hands increased his power and helped him to control the club.

“But how many golfers do we encounter whose big problem is having too much power?” Jimmy would say.

Jimmy believed the average player should learn the so-called ten-finger grip. In fact, it is eight fingers and two thumbs, but you know what I mean.

This is often called the baseball grip, which is incorrect. If you were to grip a golf club like a baseball bat, your thumbs would be around the handle just as your fingers are.

“The full-fingered grip is the most fundamentally sound grip for the vast majority of golfers ,” Jimmy said. “Most golfers don't need to fight hands that are too fast. Most golfers have just the opposite problem—their hands are not fast enough.”

have just the opposite problem—their hands are not fast enough.” In the full-fingered grip, Jimmy believed, the hands should be as close together as possible, with that right pinkie finger on the handle of the club to help deliver the blow. “In a reasonable swing, the right hand won't take over from the left with the full-fingered grip,” Jimmy said. “The two hands will work together. You get more power and better control. I'm so accustomed to the Vardon grip by now that it would take me a long time to change, and I'm doing okay the way things are. But if I was a newcomer to the game, or an average player who doesn't depend on golf for a living, I would certainly use the full-fingered grip.

”In the full-fingered grip, Jimmy believed, the hands should be as close together as possible, with that right pinkie finger on the handle of the club to help deliver the blow.

“In a reasonable swing, the right hand won't take over from the left with the full-fingered grip,” Jimmy said. “The two hands will work together. You get more power and better control. I'm so accustomed to the Vardon grip by now that it would take me a long time to change, and I'm doing okay the way things are. But if I was a newcomer to the game, or an average player who doesn't depend on golf for a living, I would certainly use the full-fingered grip.”

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I use the 10 finger grip since that is the way I learned not all that long ago.  Interlocking and overlapping grips were uncomfortable, and I couldn't hit the ball hardly at all.  It works OK as long as your hands are very close together on the club.  If they aren't then you will lose some power.  Check your grip by taking your club back to the top with your hands separated like in a baseball grip.  While the club is at the top and a loose grip, slide your trail hand closer to the lead hand.  As they start to overlap, you should see more shaft lean creating a greater leverage angle; thus more speed.  

I can probably attribute some of my power loss over the years to old age and lack of flexibility in the wrists, but I have tried to switch several times with bad results.  I just live with it, and make sure that my hands are as close to each other as possible.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I used a 10 finger grip while I was toying with Moe Norman's swing. As good as any, and it made me very straight. Been using Vardon ever since tho

I say if it's comfortable use it. Too many goofy but good swings out there to say one way is definitively better than another.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I think two gloves uses a 10 finger

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Jack Nicklaus used the inter locking grip he said because he had smaller hands than most.  I found when I was learning the game that just about every grip I used felt weird and it wasn't until I persevered with one that it eventually felt "normal". And by persevering it took about 3 or 4 months.

If I have learned anything about golf though there's as many different ways of doing things as there are people playing the game ;)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I used the ten finger grip until I quit playing baseball my junior of college. I switching to an interlocking grip at that point because Jack was using it. I switched to a Vardon grip in my early 30's and have basically used it ever since. I will however occasionally use a 10 finger grip if I need some extra yards off the tee. If it use it too much I start hooking the ball but I really get an extra kick if I do it once in a while.

Use what works like everyone else has said. Better see your pro and get his opinion.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I remember many years ago when Nicklaus came out with his "Golf My Way" video; he said it didn't matter what grip you used. overlap, interlocking, 10-finger, etc. Just find one you feel comfortable with. However he went on to say what does matter.... and that's the moment of truth when you deliver the club head to the ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Alright who started this thread anyway? :)

Since Penny has started High School and is riding the bus I have to be up much earlier.  This is great news for my dog and I suspect my golf game.  I'm up early enough in fact that I have two and a half hours between the time that I have to get up and the time that I need to leave for work.  So the dog gets a walk when it's cool in the morning rather than in the evening when we are dodging thunderstorms and I can head over and hit a few balls, hop in the shower and head in any day I like. 

Today was any day and this thread was on my mind. 

I wasn't hitting the ball particularly well so I said, what the heck and tried a few with the old 10 finger grip.  I was on driver at that point and typical of when I switch over I creamed the first one, clearly landed out past where the other four or five that I had hit finished up.  So I hit another, then another all very good.  Okay, I switched to 9 iron and aimed at a flag that was 130 away - I was struggling to reach it when I was working with the 9 earlier (not surprising since I'd typical hit a smooth 8 from that distance) but the two shots that I hit both were past the pin, high and straight.  So I tried the 7 at a pin that was 162, well out of my range with that club carry distance wise and bang one of the two that I hit carried right by the pin (that's a good 6 iron for me normally.)  Again both balls were high and straight.

So I hit two more drivers and went in to find my teacher but sadly he wasn't there. 

I may try it when I play Friday just for kicks - this season is so lost anyway because of weather and our building project that it's time to try something different. 

@ Plaid when I said I tried it because Nicklaus did it I didn't mean because he said that's how you have to grip I mean that's how he gripped it.  Prior to reading Golf My Way I was breaking 80 with a 10 finger grip.

The only draw back that I see is that it might lead to too much tension in the right hand - but heck I can do that without even putting my right hand on the club. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for the responses. My reasoning for the question was, "If there are basically 0 people doing it there has to be some drawbacks to it. What are they?" I get no swing is the same. But in a world where there are basically 3 options and almost nobody but me uses 1 of them, there's probably a good reason why no one does. I just wanted to be sure my grip was not keeping me from getting better. I've kind of plateaued as of late and am looking for anything to drop a few strokes. 

Use whatever grip works for you.  Ive experimented with all 3.  I started out with the interlock because Tiger and Jack used it, then I switched to the overlap/Varden because I felt like the interlock limited my wrist action too much.  Ive tried the 10 finger too but felt like it caused me to get too wristy, it did give me a little more distance when my timing was right though.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Thanks for the responses. My reasoning for the question was, "If there are basically 0 people doing it there has to be some drawbacks to it. What are they?" I get no swing is the same. But in a world where there are basically 3 options and almost nobody but me uses 1 of them, there's probably a good reason why no one does. I just wanted to be sure my grip was not keeping me from getting better. I've kind of plateaued as of late and am looking for anything to drop a few strokes.

I think there are a lot more people than you think using the 10 finger. My guess is about 10%. When I used it, it helped prevent me from closing the club face too fast. Promoted a fade for me. My two cents says go to the other grip if you're trying to stop a hook. But I think someone else in the thread said it made him hook.....

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

@ High Fade  - that would be me - But you may have a weaker grip that I do in regards to your hand position.  Mine is strong/neutral - I can see the proverbial two knuckles when I look down with knuckle number three pretty dog gone close to coming into view. 

Anything about the grip is a great topic IMO - very under rated even in Jack's book.  Palmer never under rated the grip as someone else noted.  A good grip, nice, square athletic stance properly balanced makes it easier to return the club to square and hit the hell out of it.  :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

First, I need to thank you for bringing this up. You have fixed my problems. (At least for a day)

The grip you use will largely determine the type of swing you make. Or perhaps I should add the word "should" in there. I have used all 3 grips over the past few years while experimenting. I am a believer in the "Swinger vs Hitter" theory. As was stated earlier, tension in the hands kills the swing speed. However that is just for a swinger.

An overlapping or interlocking grip puts the power in the last 3 fingers of the left hand. The left side then pulls the club through its arc and the right hand is along simply to guide the club. To generate more speed, the hips have to get out of the way and the body has to turn faster.

The 10 finger grip puts the power in the right hand. There is a slower body rotation (still a full rotation, just slower) and the straightening of the right arm against already extended left arm creates more head speed.

In a swinger's swing, adding power with the right side or a hit, will more often than not kill the swing.

For 5 years I worked diligently trying to improve my swing. I could play so well at my home course and during the regular weekend games. However, I would go to a different course or get out of my comfort zone (playing someone whom I really wanted to play well with) and tension in the right hand would absolutely kill me. My natural tendency is to "hit" the ball.

I went to a 10 Finger Grip and slowed my body down and hit the ball with my right side and saw much more consistency.

Now, the funny thing is a year ago, I changed jobs. I no longer got to practice everyday and my focus has been on the new job not the golf game. I still play on the weekends but often don't even see the clubs during the week. With no real practice and often thinking about other things on the course, my game has gone to crap, adding 12 strokes to my handicap in the past few months and I was seriously losing power, but no real time to search for the cure. I had no idea why but then I read this thread yesterday. I thought about responding, but decided to run out and play a few holes instead.

Over the last few months, I have reverted back to an overlapping grip and more of a "Swinger's Swing", and thus have had all the problems associated with a tightening of the right hand during the down swing. Last weekend, I focused on keeping my right hand relaxed and played 6 strokes better than in 3 months.

Yesterday, thinking about the "10 Finger Grip" and the "Hitter's Swing" and on 9 holes I shot 8 strokes better than I have in months.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If works for you stick with it especially if its comfortable for you!  golf is challenging enough with everything else going on in the swing why mess with that part of your game if its not broken. A few years back a single joined our group and the guy played right handed but had a left hand grip looked super odd but damn that guy could play!

Went to the range and did some experimenting with the grips. Only the 10 finger grip felt natural. Maybe my hands or fingers are deformed but the other grips feel so awkward. I figured out I really need to focus on where the club lies in my left hand. I have a tendency to get it up into my palm and then I start to turn it over and hook everything. If I really focus on keeping it in my fingers its all good. I have to consciously put it and keep it in the right spot.    

Any grip other than what you have been playing will feel awkward at first.  If you want to change, it's not like you change a light bulb and it works.  It will take a long time until the new grip starts to feel normal; I'd give it 2 months. and you can't be switching back and forth.  It's a commitment, one should not take lightly.  Play what feels good unless you have a reason to change.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I asked my teacher about the 10 finger grip and his reply was NG for me. By the numbers my hands do what they are supposed so I'd be crazy to change. It's one thing that I have going for. The ten finger would make them too active for my swing. However he went on to say that way more people should consider that grip than actually use it.

The ball doesn't know what you are doing to get the club face there, it just knows about impact, talk off and landing. If you can get the club face on the ball close to the same way every time there is no need to change unless your teacher gives you a good reason too.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I was having a hooking issue, so the 10 finger is a no no for me as well. 

Worked out on the course that I was standing too far from the ball. As soon as I "crowded" the ball a little bit I was hitting them straight.  :unsure:

Started working on 1 position for the ball in my stance as well, so far, so good.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

, talk off and landing.

Sorry Rev have to disagree on this one.  No matter what language I use to talk to the ball it doesn't seem to understand.  Maybe I should try "Spanglish". :lol:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Sorry Rev have to disagree on this one.  No matter what language I use to talk to the ball it doesn't seem to understand.  Maybe I should try "Spanglish". :lol:

Lots of Spanglish spoken here.  It doesn't work either... ask Rueben.

Started working on 1 position for the ball in my stance as well, so far, so good.

That's my swing model.  Ball stays in one place and I vary the stance width based on club used by moving my back foot; narrow for wedges to wide for driver.  

That's my swing model.  Ball stays in one place and I vary the stance width based on club used by moving my back foot; narrow for wedges to wide for driver.  

That's what I like about it. I got to thinking about it and did some reading and you tubing...finally sunk in and I like it.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

That's what I like about it. I got to thinking about it and did some reading and you tubing...finally sunk in and I like it.

I have found that it helps me be consistent at impact.  The impact position is the same for all clubs.

I have found that it helps me be consistent at impact.  The impact position is the same for all clubs.

That's exactly it, impact position doesn't change. That's where the bottom of the swing is.

In the bag:

Bag: