Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bryson DeChambeau's golf swing - The makings of greatness?

mizuno_lover

There has been a bit of hype about Bryson DeChambeau's swing being unorthadox since his win in the US Amateur recently.  It had been nagging at me especially after I read it somewhere and the comments had a negative slant.  I found some video on you tube and had a look for myself.

His swing didn't seem that unorthodox at all.  Sure it's a single plane swing but so what.  Plenty of guys have had more than successful careers with a single plane swing, some have had stellar careers.  Slammin Sam comes to mind but I'm not sure if his was single plane in the strictest sense of the term.  Mo Norman is the other person to come to mind and if he had been more understood by his peers and not vilified because of his mild autism who knows what he could have achieved.  What I did find unorthodox was Bryson's grip.  He uses jumbo grips and his lead hand seems to sit in what I would call a weak position, with maybe one knuckle visible and in the palm of his hand as does his trail hand rather than the fingers.  The other unorthodox thing is all his irons are one length about 37" apparently.  He obviously has it all under control because you don't win a tournament like the amateur if you don't.

I don't mind admitting I played around with the Moe Norman swing theories and if there was a teacher here in Australia I may have pursued it.  But there wasn't and I didn't.  It will certainly be interesting following Bryson's career if and when he turns Pro.  If he gets as half as good as Moe Norman was I think he may be the next overnight sensation.  What do you think?

You can watch the video of his swing here:

​

​

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I think his swing is not all that unorthodox,but his approach to the game is.  Certainly his equipment is as well, but with that said it seems to be working for him.  The game is all about repeating the swing and managing the 6 or so inches between your ears....which he has done very well this year.  Would like to see him have a nice career and is certainly off to a nice start.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I have looked at Bryson's swing quite a bit.  It's certainly a SPS and similar to Moe Norman in that regard.  Moe had the normal length clubs and held the club further from his body, resulting in flatter lie.  Bryson is pretty upright in comparison.  But this is a swing that can produce deadly straight accuracy.  There is less chance for shots to get away from him ala Tiger of late.  A lot of people say that this swing does not produce enough club head speed to compete in today's tour, but Bryson averages about 290-300 and I have seen retired pros teaching Moe's swing move the ball out there a long way.

I was a horrible slicer when I started playing golf.  At the course I started playing on, there are 3 consecutive holes along a river.  Before I changed to Moe's swing, I filled the river with balls!  I have had two golf school classes with the Graves Golf Academy who teaches Moe's swing, the last being in 2010.  Next month I will be going to Vegas for another session with my swing coach to eliminate the bad habits I picked up the last few years before and after my knee replacement.  Since my putting has improved since my last session, I am hoping that I can shave a stroke or two off my HCP before the end of the year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Graves Golf was who I puchased the videos and what not from.  Even bought the bloody iron with the molded grip.  Seemed to work for a while but I never could tell if I was doing what I should be and gave up in frustration.  Yes, if only they had a certified instructor here *sigh* :(

And yes he does seem to set up very upright compared to Moe's flatter further away from the ball set up.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Too bad. The Graves guys are great instructors. I know they are expanding by developing certified instructors, but down under... probably not. You can only do so much with videos and the training club. They have developed a "coaching program" where you send them videos of your swing and they respond with a video analysis and drills to use, but I think that is only partially effective unless it's follow-up to hands-on training. I go back to the training club from time to time as it reinforces Moe's grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/dechambeau-finishes-runner-aussie-masters/

Did anyone watch the final round of the Australian Masters?  Great win for Peter Senior, and what happened to Adam Scott who was leading after 36?

The big news was Bryson DeChambeau's T-2 finish.  Great stuff for the U.S. Amateur champion.  I will be watching him at the Masters in April.

I loved Bryson's comments after the tournament that he was an "apprentice" learning what it was like to be in that environment.  The guy is unassuming and has humility unlike some on tour I can think of.  He will be and already is a great ambassador for the game.

My Bag

Archived