Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Getting Old Ain't for Sissies...

wbealsd

Last night I was swinging my Swing Swoosh thing and did some simple shoulder things in my training center/bedroom and I get into bed with a cold PBR and I look down and whammo, my left knee looks like a grapefruit.

No pain, no ache, no discoloration, but puffy, wearing a skirt today out of the question.

24 hrs later, all gone. Wwwhat??

Go ahead, say what one more time...

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Might as well toss in my 2 cents.........

-4 Inguinal hernia surgeries courtesy of the US Navy(1972, 1974, 1976, 1990); now suffer from scar tissue wrapped around nerve endings causing severe abdominal pain......they only recommend pain mgt.....Hydrocodone.

-Left wrist crushed in ice skating accident. 4 surgeries over 2 years. end result is a steel plate + 13 screws and an inch of my hip in my left wrist. The hip piece was to make my left arm the correct length after the accident. Result

-Arthritis in both hands....mostly fingers....pain 24/7.

-Left ankle overstretched tendons causing lateral movement and much pain....either surgery to repair tendons (6 month rehab) or wear a brace on left ankle....currently I wear the brace only when I golf.

I am only 64.75 years old......I am fighting pain 24/7.

Sometimes folks will say "I feel your pain.." when trying to convey empathy but honestly I can't relate at that level but I admire your strength and character as you get out there and swing away.

But I still ain't giving you strokes. ;)

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Last night I was swinging my Swing Swoosh thing and did some simple shoulder things in my training center/bedroom and I get into bed with a cold PBR and I look down and whammo, my left knee looks like a grapefruit.

No pain, no ache, no discoloration, but puffy, wearing a skirt today out of the question.

24 hrs later, all gone. Wwwhat??

Go ahead, say what one more time...

Sounds like something I had 20 years ago.  :)  Just wait!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Mid America Conference!

Brown & Gold!

Go Broncos!

The Denver Broncos began life in 1960 using WMU's colors, then switched later to orange and blue.

Ever notice that in vintage pop culture, elderly people weren't described as grumpy? They weren't grumpy because they were only fifty or fifty-five years old. People who lasted longer than that were genetic freaks similar to professional athletes of today.

Modern medicine has us going decades beyond what our natural blueprints specified. No wonder we're grumpy. We live longer, but we also continue to degenerate beyond what we were designed to endure.

Mid America Conference!

Brown & Gold!

Go Broncos!

The Denver Broncos began life in 1960 using WMU's colors, then switched later to orange and blue.

Ever notice that in vintage pop culture, elderly people weren't described as grumpy? They weren't grumpy because they were only fifty or fifty-five years old. People who lasted longer than that were genetic freaks similar to professional athletes of today.

Modern medicine has us going decades beyond what our natural blueprints specified. No wonder we're grumpy. We live longer, but we also continue to degenerate beyond what we were designed to endure.

Thanks for the Bronco acknowledgement, good school, beautiful campus.

Hey, we got joint replacements,  I had both hips "resurfaced" 2008-2009, picked up at least 20 yards.  Now I need to replace everything else.

The people who were elderly when I was young seemed to have taken aging in stride, wise, classy.  My generation isn't taking well to aging.  

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

20 years ago one PBR went missing, ah-ha.

The puffy knee is the lead knee, I have been straightening the lead leg more lately during the downswing,  this isn't good is it?  I shouldn't do that, I am 55, not 25.

Likely straightening the lead leg is not a good idea.  Also, hard on the back.  It's usually the result of an outside in swing and weight stays on back leg.  At least, that's what I used to do, and still fight it occasionally.  

Well. I'm 68 and I'm not taking aging very well either.  I find that I have to work very hard on my golf swing to maximize distance as much as possible because I lose a little more each year.  Just trying to slow it down!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Likely straightening the lead leg is not a good idea.  Also, hard on the back.  It's usually the result of an outside in swing and weight stays on back leg.  At least, that's what I used to do, and still fight it occasionally.  

Well. I'm 68 and I'm not taking aging very well either.  I find that I have to work very hard on my golf swing to maximize distance as much as possible because I lose a little more each year.  Just trying to slow it down!

I am trying to counteract the in-to-out swing,  of course, the knee thing may have been going on for awhile I just never noticed, there isn't any pain.

I was swinging that training club very fast and hard, and probably making some poor, incomplete swings while doing it.   

Now I have two PBRs at a time, one on the knee, one to drink.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I am assuming that when you say "training club" that it is heavy.  I have a heavy training club, but only use it occasionally loosen up and always easy swings.  I found out years ago that I could not swing a heavy club and maintain a correct on-plane swing, so I was not helping my swing with regular clubs.  It also messes with my tempo.  

Years ago I drank most any beer; usually Oly, Blitz, PBR, IC, etc.  I seemed to have migrated to craft beer/ale and now prefer the stouts.  On a hot day in the summer, I will drink an Ultra or Lite on the course, but those days are gone for the next 5 months!!  Of course there is always scotch, especially when you mix it with a Lortab.  Great for old people.  :)

I am assuming that when you say "training club" that it is heavy.  I have a heavy training club, but only use it occasionally loosen up and always easy swings.  I found out years ago that I could not swing a heavy club and maintain a correct on-plane swing, so I was not helping my swing with regular clubs.  It also messes with my tempo.  

Years ago I drank most any beer; usually Oly, Blitz, PBR, IC, etc.  I seemed to have migrated to craft beer/ale and now prefer the stouts.  On a hot day in the summer, I will drink an Ultra or Lite on the course, but those days are gone for the next 5 months!!  Of course there is always scotch, especially when you mix it with a Lortab.  Great for old people.   :)

It was a light training club, a Swing Swoosh,  For speed, speed, speed. I got it a few weeks ago, I got an Orange Whip too that is always in the bag so I look cool, it is good for loosening up before ball smashing begins.  The Swing Swoosh is hanging out in the bedroom, along with a Momentus Heavy Iron thing that my bro got at Aunt Sally's for $3, and two mid irons from an old Wilson Tour RM Fat shaft set. I have these foam golf balls (I had to put "golf" in there because of the bedroom context) that I can hit off the carpet into the bathroom, they don't leave any marks except sometimes they end up in the toilet, oops.  A good shot will make the shade pop open.  My wife really hates that one.  And sometimes Brody the Dog comes to visit and he does not permit golf practice.

I do enjoy a wide spectrum of beers, anything from Dos Equis Lagers to Guiness and everything in-between. PBRs are great for watching football or hockey.  I can't watch hockey drinking a Stella.   Mixing of alcohol and drugs isn't something I've done since college. :wacko:

I videoed my swing in the dome on my phone, the lighting is awful, but I must say I look like a golfing Tyrannosaurus Rex, short, stubby arms, fat body, bald head,  striking.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

• 1 month later...

Except for Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, those old friends are all even older than I.

And they all look a lot better than I do.

I'm going to need another lumbar epidural next week. 

Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco are probably steroid free these days, but nobody's getting a sample of my urine. Between the 'roids and the oxy, the USGA may suspend me for all of next season.

Except for Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, those old friends are all even older than I.

And they all look a lot better than I do.

I'm going to need another lumbar epidural next week. 

Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco are probably steroid free these days, but nobody's getting a sample of my urine.

My doctor said that you can only have a maximum of 3 a year.  Didn't you just have one?  They should last about 2 months.

Well, at least you can keep a good attitude about it!  Good luck, buddy.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Geez, KB, hope the weather gets better.

Those are kind of depressing, especially Bugs.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Geez, KB, hope the weather gets better.

Those are kind of depressing, especially Bugs.

When the weather is bad, there are days when I break out the old Looney Tunes VHS tapes.  With the crap on TV these days, a Bugs and Daffy cartoon brightens my day.  All time favorite though is Rocky and Bullwinkle.  That is really a cartoon for adults.  

My doctor said that you can only have a maximum of 3 a year.  Didn't you just have one?  They should last about 2 months.

If you're talking steroids, apparently they DO have a limit.  Told me that when I went in a couple of weeks ago...

Waiting to find out when the hand surgery will be scheduled for my "trigger finger." :(

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

When the weather is bad, there are days when I break out the old Looney Tunes VHS tapes.  With the crap on TV these days, a Bugs and Daffy cartoon brightens my day.  All time favorite though is Rocky and Bullwinkle.  That is really a cartoon for adults.  

My favorite Bullwinkle line,

During a football game, Wottsamatta U vs the Mud City Manglers, the Manglers, led by Fearless Leader, jump out to big lead because they cheat. 

Rocky: "At this rate, we'll never win"

Bullwinkle: "We'll be lucky if we lose"

bullwinkle.jpg

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

• 1 month later...

4 weeks to the start of the season and I've managed 6 days without back Pain! Woo f@cking Hoo!

Stretches, light weights and walking seems to have got my core a bit more stable

Going to starting swinging a club next week and see how things go. Mind you back or no back my swing was never a thing of beauty!

Been hiding in the background for the winter - been so grumpy I was prone to be an Arse and no one needs that on a forum.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Just think Westy, every year you get to anticipate a great golf season, whereas in Florida, it's just week after week after week....a neverending story.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Glad to see you back westy. Take it easy on the swings and keep stretching. If your swing was a thing of beauty, I'm sure we would be seeing you in the Open Championship!

Foz, I kept anticipating good weather in Florida for 2 weeks! I think you are exaggerating!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love the senior tees.And than in 15 years I can tee off from the fairway

My wife turned 60 in December (I'll be 69 in May) and she will NOT tee off from the fairway!!  I can't even move to the senior tees because there is not much difference between them and the forward tees.  That's not fair to her.  So, I have to play from the tees that have a similar rating to her tees, no matter where we play.  At my course, that means I am playing from the blues!

Archived