Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why do I lose my driver swing speed?

OK. My driver swing speed dropped from 95 Mph to between 85 -90 Mph lately.   I have been practicing hard for the past few months to have a better tempo and correct my swing path (used to be out to in).   Now I have a pretty good tempo (according to 3 bays gsa) and my swing path is pretty good (don't slice anymore).  But why did I lose a lot of swing speed?   Even when I try to kill it, I only get about 90 Mph.

Can you have a smooth tempo and fast swing speed at the same time?     

Congratulations on improving tempo and swing path.  Getting rid of a slice takes commitment.  

As far as swing speed, I am assuming that you measured swing speed using the same instrument for both before and after.  There are differences between what you thought at a golf store and swing analyzer.  Assuming it is the same, your swing mechanics have changed and that can affect speed.  It's a matter of spending time getting used to your new swing.  I would spend time working on speed drills; see the thread on Heavy/Light.  Also, a killer of speed is a tight grip and tension in the arms.  Trying to swing hard will likely produce more tension, and tight muscles reduces swing speed.  Loosen your grip until you can just hold onto the club without it flying out of your hand.  Focus on a fluid swing, relaxing your arms.

As we always say here, it might be worth a lesson with your pro.  Now that you have swing path straightened out, he might be able to give you some drills to increase speed.  Some of us are beyond help in the speed department, but we keep trying!  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Congratulations on improving tempo and swing path.  Getting rid of a slice takes commitment.  

As far as swing speed, I am assuming that you measured swing speed using the same instrument for both before and after.  There are differences between what you thought at a golf store and swing analyzer.  Assuming it is the same, your swing mechanics have changed and that can affect speed.  It's a matter of spending time getting used to your new swing.  I would spend time working on speed drills; see the thread on Heavy/Light.  Also, a killer of speed is a tight grip and tension in the arms.  Trying to swing hard will likely produce more tension, and tight muscles reduces swing speed.  Loosen your grip until you can just hold onto the club without it flying out of your hand.  Focus on a fluid swing, relaxing your arms.

As we always say here, it might be worth a lesson with your pro.  Now that you have swing path straightened out, he might be able to give you some drills to increase speed.  Some of us are beyond help in the speed department, but we keep trying!   :)

hmmm yes, you got a point.  Before I got a swing speed radar.  Now I measure my Driver SS using 3bays GSA.   The GSA is more accurate? 

Hard to say.  They are all slightly different.  If your are hitting straighter than you did with the slice, the ball if probably going further and that's what counts.  Keep monitoring your ss on 3Bays and how far you hit your clubs on the course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One more info.  I used to swing all arms and less body.   Now I turn my body more and just let the arms follow the body.

That should actually help with speed. Main thing is just be loose and relaxed. That is what brings out the speed?

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Kenny nailed it - if you measured the swing speed on two different devices that could easily be your answer.  Mine does not vary much within a session - 3-4 MPH but might vary a good deal between devices.

Whose to say which is more accurate - there are a variety of ways to measure swing speed.  How far is the ball going?  Is it notably shorter than before?  5-7 mph's of swing speed would be extremely significant in regards to distance.  I would check that before getting too panicky.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That should actually help with speed. Main thing is just be loose and relaxed. That is what brings out the speed?

yes it should have.  Actually I discovered this after making an adjustment because I kept hitting off the toe.  The new swing gives me more center impact.  

• 2 weeks later...

just an update:

I went to a range yesterday.  1st time since I fixed my swing.  I see an increase on my 8 iron distance.  I usually hit it on the 130 marker.   Now the ball flew pass the 130 marker.  Maybe about 138 or 140 now.   I went home and use the 3 bays gsa pro, I got about 78 mph for my 5 iron.   hmmm it used to be around 80 to 83 mph.  I increase distance but my 5 iron swing speed dropped to 78?  

• 1 month later...

Just an update,  I couldn't sleep last night and started swinging my driver.   Attached the 3bays gsa pro and started air swinging.   One swing, 98 mph, the next one 97 mph, the next one 95 mph.   Driver carry 230 yards.... geez if I could do that when I play golf....

Like whoa!!!  what happened!!!  I know people are getting higher swingspeed when swinging without a ball, but I think I have been holding back....   Can somebody explain this?

• 4 weeks later...

I can explain it. Those things recalibrate every time you turn them on from the off position. That could be why you see the variance. Go get on an actual launch monitor and get your numbers so you have a baseline to go by. Those analyzers won't do a whole lot as far as getting the correct speed. But they're great for path work

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 2 weeks later...

I can explain it. Those things recalibrate every time you turn them on from the off position. That could be why you see the variance. Go get on an actual launch monitor and get your numbers so you have a baseline to go by. Those analyzers won't do a whole lot as far as getting the correct speed. But they're great for path work

Yeah not a good idea to use these swing analyzers for ss. On trackman my 7i is avg 94 same session using the swingbyte 2 at the same time, it said 78-84.

You can be smooth and get a high swing speed, but that requires a longer/bigger swing arc which is why some of these taller golfers can have a smooth tempo and swing 110+. Not to say shorter players can't do the same.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Solid contact with a square face trumps swing speed. So its possible to gain yardage and give up some speed if you were not  hitting it squarely before.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 5 weeks later...

Solid contact with a square face trumps swing speed. So its possible to gain yardage and give up some speed if you were not  hitting it squarely before.

yes true... higher smash factor.... to be honest, I giv up in trying to increase my swing speed.  It says the same around 90 Mph.... But I have a solid contact right now due to better tempo and better swing path.... the result.... 240 yards.... used to be around 220 yards last year....

Yeah not a good idea to use these swing analyzers for ss. On trackman my 7i is avg 94 same session using the swingbyte 2 at the same time, it said 78-84.

You can be smooth and get a high swing speed, but that requires a longer/bigger swing arc which is why some of these taller golfers can have a smooth tempo and swing 110+. Not to say shorter players can't do the same.

with swing speed radar, I got 70 mph for a 6 iron... meh.  Went to the range yesterday and was hitting my 6 iron, and it read 80 Mph most of the time using 3baysgsa.  so I would say the swing analyzer is more accurate because it's attached to your club but the swing speed radar reads the speed from the movement of the head passing their sensor.  And regarding trackman, most launch monitors only read the ball when it's struck on the face.  So the swing speed is an estimate number based on the smash factor. 

with swing speed radar, I got 70 mph for a 6 iron... meh.  Went to the range yesterday and was hitting my 6 iron, and it read 80 Mph most of the time using 3baysgsa.  so I would say the swing analyzer is more accurate because it's attached to your club but the swing speed radar reads the speed from the movement of the head passing their sensor.  And regarding trackman, most launch monitors only read the ball when it's struck on the face.  So the swing speed is an estimate number based on the smash factor. 

Happy new year!!! to add my question, I'm thinking of using my sand wedge as a training device.  About 30 swings each morning and swing as hard as I could.  Would that increase my swing speed?  5 Mph increase is good enough for me....

Happy new year!!! to add my question, I'm thinking of using my sand wedge as a training device. About 30 swings each morning and swing as hard as I could. Would that increase my swing speed? 5 Mph increase is good enough for me....

Just to be clear...Are you asking if swinging your sand wedge as hard as you can 30 times every morning will give you 5mph more driver club head speed?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

yes correct!

Not quite.  The actual ratio between sand wedge swings and driver MPH is 10:1.  So 30 swings in the morning will only get you 3 MPH increase.  You'll need to do 50 swings if you want to get that 5 MPH increase.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Why not just swing your driver 30 times if that's the club you intend to increase speed with?

Further to that, put a donut weight on the end. From what I understand, swinging a heavy club will gain you swing speed when you switch to a lighter club.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Further to that, put a donut weight on the end. From what I understand, swinging a heavy club will gain you swing speed when you switch to a lighter club.

The heavier weight also changes your swing.  Be careful, only use it to loosen up, not make full swings.

How about going light? the Momentus Speed Swoosh, I got one, not bad, helps the golfer to swing faster, so they say. I can't confirm this until I can golf outside again. If you don't want to spend money on that thing, an alignment stick works nicely, just that you don't get a good grip. Hockey stick tape would help, or find a secluded spot to swing.

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

I have suffered a swing speed loss as well and have been trying to find it again for the last few years (115 ish average down to now 95 ish average). I found this video which I was able to take away the keeping the right elbow tucked in the downswing piece 4:55 into the video.

Maybe this one will help you as well.

Driver - XR16 Pro 10.5 Kuro Kage Black 60-S
Fairway wood - Taylormade Aeroburner mini (16*)

Tour Edge XCG7 7-wood 21*/XR16 7 wood
Hybrid - Adams Pro Mini 23*
Irons - Mizuno EZ forged 5-GW
Wedges - Mizuno JPX 54*
Bridgestone 60*

Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite South SIde

I watched a video (it was a golfdigest video I think).  The coach said there is a way to increase your swing speed.  You have to make your left arm as strong as your right arm.  Well I want to try that.  And since the SW is the heaviest club in my bag.  I could use it as a weight training.   And I have seen some golfers do a warm with two wedges.  So the idea is pretty good....  

• 2 weeks later...

with swing speed radar, I got 70 mph for a 6 iron... meh. Went to the range yesterday and was hitting my 6 iron, and it read 80 Mph most of the time using 3baysgsa. so I would say the swing analyzer is more accurate because it's attached to your club but the swing speed radar reads the speed from the movement of the head passing their sensor. And regarding trackman, most launch monitors only read the ball when it's struck on the face. So the swing speed is an estimate number based on the smash factor.

3baysgsa uses a accelerometer and gyroscope to measure. Club head speed can't accurately measured by a sensor at the butt of a club without knowing the length and how the shaft flexes- its a guess better than the eye though. Knowing where the ball struck the club face is a big piece of data to be missing. The club head is where most of the speed is occurring so wouldn't it be better to have the sensor there?

trackman can measure club head speed or your swing speed at impact like you mentioned. So if you cast or release early and are slowing down at impact that would be shown. That's going to be a better measurement than just swing speed for efficiencies sake.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Archived